Lowes assessment test, are they fair and how do they determine what job you get?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

SayNoToDepot in Avon, Ohio

50 months ago

When you apply for certain positions at Lowes you have to take assessment tests, they as basic questions about what you would do in certain circumstances while dealing with customers at Lowes, there's four answers to these situations...all are similar...with one being the best answer to the situation...one being the worst...plu..I applied at a local Lowes store for a position as a Full Time Kitchen Designer, I didn't make the cut to the second interview. So, I applied to another Lowes store for a Full Time Flooring Sales Specialist and as a Part Time Kitchen Designer (Customer Service for Cabinets)...I talked to the human resource manager over the phone about these positions...She said I did not qualify for the Full Time Flooring Sales Specialist position or the Full Time Kitchen Designer (Cabinets Sales Specialist) because of my results from the assessment test,but, I did qualify for the Part Time Kitchen Designer (Customer Service for Cabinets) position...I asked what the difference was between the Cabinet Sales Specialist and the Customer Service for Cabinets, she said one's part time the other is full time....I would only be eligible for the part time position...they both do the same kind of work...design kitchens, sell counter tops, etc... Then I was confused, I have 20 years experience in retail sales, between Sears and Home Depot...Why was I eligible for part time and not full? Was there a section on the assessment test that I could have answered correctly that would have made me eligible to apply both for a full time position and a part time?...Not just part time? I asked the human resource manager if I was hired in as part time could I become full time in the future...She said yes, but it rarely happens in her store...Are full time associates only hired from within the company, for example transfers from other stores?, or do they ever bring them in from outside of Lowes? I asked if I can take the assessment again, I was told no, I could only take it once.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Rejected in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

I would love to work for lowes....or so I thought....went online to apply....for part-time anything. Completed the assessment and applied for 10 openings at the closest stores....was Immediately
rejected for all of them based on the assessment test. Or so I was told when I called the HR person at the store-I was told I had to wait 90 days to re-test. I need the answers for consideration.....it is crazy these retail assessment tests....anyone out there with correct answers.....what happened to walking into a store and filling out the forms and getting hired on the spot......what exactly is the company testing for???? Its a low paying retail job, now I am sure the corporate staff doesn't have to take
apptitude or personality tests...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

ineedofwork in Asheville, North Carolina

45 months ago

I believe that much of the content of the assessment is to reflect your general personality to see if you will fit in and establish good customer relations. I'm not sure how most employees currently with Lowe's did on the test but when I'm in Lowe's (Most of them) the employees tend to avoid any contact with customers, ie. "I'm not familiar with that item, I will get you some help" No one ever shows up! Or, "Sir/madam can you help me", and they just walk away.
I have applied with Lowe's for several position part/full time, I have 20 plus years in construction both in the field and in management and I have not had one call back for an interview. I have taken the assessment test 4 times and answered differently the past 2 times. I believe it best if you have a personal (Lowe's employee) recommendation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

deer-in-the-headlights in Chester, Vermont

45 months ago

ineedofwork in Asheville, North Carolina said: I believe that much of the content of the assessment is to reflect your general personality to see if you will fit in and establish good customer relations. I'm not sure how most employees currently with Lowe's did on the test but when I'm in Lowe's (Most of them) the employees tend to avoid any contact with customers, ie. "I'm not familiar with that item, I will get you some help" No one ever shows up! Or, "Sir/madam can you help me", and they just walk away.
I have applied with Lowe's for several position part/full time, I have 20 plus years in construction both in the field and in management and I have not had one call back for an interview. I have taken the assessment test 4 times and answered differently the past 2 times. I believe it best if you have a personal (Lowe's employee) recommendation.

I haven't had that experience shopping at Lowe's at all. I love the store and the attentive "small store" feel. I have had the same difficulty taking the assessment that you have had, though. I am told that philosophical thinkers may not do as well as those who simply answer the questions off the cuff. I am wondering, though, whether you have waited 90 days between each assessment. If not, what is your trick for getting back into the system to retake the test? I appreciate your response... Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ineedofwork in Asheville, North Carolina

45 months ago

"what is your trick for getting back into the system to retake the test? I appreciate your response... Thank you."

I have been applying for well over a year is the reason for the multiple testing. I believe that having the 3rd party (KeneXa) hiring agency involved that the actual store doesn't see potential applicants. This is the case with other employers I have applied to. Thx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn Moreno in franklin, North Carolina

43 months ago

i have over 25 years experience running a cash register and customer service skills i make it a point to make sure every customer is taken care in a timely fashion with a smile and to let them know i do care about everyone who walks in the store customers are my number one top priority,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Diyabrown@gmail.com in Mccomb, Mississippi

37 months ago

I recently applied for a position at the Local Lowes store. I have been working as an Installer for the store for 7 yrs. and would have thought that I knew store policies and procedures as well as anyone. To me it appeared the job qualifications were written based on my work history and qualifications, don't think anyone would be more qualified. When I was taking the assessment tests, I remember thinking, these are issues that are covered in store employee orientation, there is no way to know what Lowes corp is thinking.(The position I was applying for was not an in store position) I found out a couple of days later that I, like many others (I was told), had flunked the assessment test. Lowes will no doubt find someone to fill the position and it will not be based on resume or qualifications, but someone who just happened to be able to guess the right answers on the test. The hiring process answered a lot of questions as to why Lowes has some of the employees in the positions in the store

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No Reply - Report abuse

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts

37 months ago

Diyabrown@gmail.com in Mccomb, Mississippi said: I recently applied for a position at the Local Lowes store. I have been working as an Installer for the store for 7 yrs. and would have thought that I knew store policies and procedures as well as anyone. To me it appeared the job qualifications were written based on my work history and qualifications, don't think anyone would be more qualified. When I was taking the assessment tests, I remember thinking, these are issues that are covered in store employee orientation, there is no way to know what Lowes corp is thinking.(The position I was applying for was not an in store position) I found out a couple of days later that I, like many others (I was told), had flunked the assessment test. Lowes will no doubt find someone to fill the position and it will not be based on resume or qualifications, but someone who just happened to be able to guess the right answers on the test. The hiring process answered a lot of questions as to why Lowes has some of the employees in the positions in the store

Couldn't of said it better myself DiyaBrown. I was fortunate enough to have more than 20 years managerial experience with another large retailor however, most of the managers in my unit/district were we'll below what I would consider management material. This includes the store manager and the district manager. Both came from Toys "R" Us. Great qualifications to operate a home improvement facility,what a joke. I have since retired. Try not to take it personally they haven't a clue as to what they're doing. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

a b in Marietta, Georgia

34 months ago

ASSESMENT TEST QUESTIONS HERE. I don't know the "best answers," but here are the questions for Assessment 1 and 2. Enjoy and good luck.

A customer asks for a brand of merchandise that is not available through your store. How would you respond to the customer?
A: Tell the customer which competitors carry that brand, but point out that your brand is similar.
B: Ask the customer more questions so you can suggest something else.
C: Tell the customer that your store carries the highest quality merchandise available.
D: Ask another Associate to help.
E: Tell the customer which competitors carry that brand.
Question 1: Choose the BEST response.
Question 2: Choose the WORST response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (168) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

a b in Marietta, Georgia

34 months ago

A customer has just arrived in your department and is concerned that the store is too big for her to find what she needs. What would you say to this customer?
A: "Our competitors are building big stores and we had to do the same."
B: "What are you looking for and I'll point you in the right direction."
C: "I think you'll like it better once you get used to it."
D: "Let me help you. It's not so big once we know what you are looking for."
E: "This way you'll have more to choose from."
Question 3: Choose the BEST response.
Question 4: Choose the WORST response.

A customer begins to ask you questions about a service you know little about. The customer is asking very detailed questions that you cannot answer. You are beginning to lose credibility with the customer and the one expert who can answer his questions is out for the day. What would you do?
A: Admit that this is not your strength and offer to have the expert call him another day.
B: Write down all of the questions and contact the customer the next day (after you have gotten the answers from the expert).
C: Answer the questions as best you can and then redirect the conversation to areas where you have more expertise.
D: Ask the customer to come in the next day and talk with the expert.
E: Point the customer to another associate who might be able to handle the issue.
Question 7: Choose the BEST response.
Question 8: Choose the WORST response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

a b in Marietta, Georgia

34 months ago

A customer has just arrived in your department and is concerned that the store is too big for her to find what she needs. What would you say to this customer?
A: "Our competitors are building big stores and we had to do the same."
B: "What are you looking for and I'll point you in the right direction."
C: "I think you'll like it better once you get used to it."
D: "Let me help you. It's not so big once we know what you are looking for."
E: "This way you'll have more to choose from."
Question 3: Choose the BEST response.
Question 4: Choose the WORST response.

A customer begins to ask you questions about a service you know little about. The customer is asking very detailed questions that you cannot answer. You are beginning to lose credibility with the customer and the one expert who can answer his questions is out for the day. What would you do?
A: Admit that this is not your strength and offer to have the expert call him another day.
B: Write down all of the questions and contact the customer the next day (after you have gotten the answers from the expert).
C: Answer the questions as best you can and then redirect the conversation to areas where you have more expertise.
D: Ask the customer to come in the next day and talk with the expert.
E: Point the customer to another associate who might be able to handle the issue.
Question 7: Choose the BEST response.
Question 8: Choose the WORST response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

a b in Marietta, Georgia

34 months ago

A couple comes in looking to purchase some patio furniture. You can tell that he is anxious to buy – he doesn’t like looking. She, on the other hand, has looked at everything and can’t quite find one she likes. What would you do?
A: Find the one she likes the best and try to overcome her objections on that one.
B: Give a little on the price on the one she likes the best.
C: Suggest they consider a special order to get exactly the patio furniture she wants.
D: Tell them to think about their options and to contact you personally when they are ready to buy.
E: Determine which one he likes best and attempt to close the sale.
Question 9: Choose the BEST response.
Question 10: Choose the WORST response.

A couple comes back to look at an item they had previously considered. They claim another sales person had quoted a price you cannot match (they can’t remember the sales person’s name). When you hold to your price, they become angry. What would you do?
A: Emphasize the value of the item as priced.
B: Tell them that they will have to identify the other sales person before you can do anything.
C: Hold to your pricing, but offer a slight discount on another service available to them.
D: Turn the couple over to your Manager to see if he can close the sale.
E: See if you can offer the price they claim they were quoted.
Question 11: Choose the BEST response.
Question 12: Choose the WORST response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

janobak in Roseburg, Oregon

27 months ago

LOL! This is kind of funny because what happened to me was just the opposite. I applied for a part-time stock-person position at Lowe's on a whim because I just wanted to work. I've been a Freelance Graphic Designer for 12-years. I took the on-line assessment test and must have done pretty well because a few days later an HR person called and asked me to apply for the full-time Sales Specialist - Cabinet (Kitchen and Bath Design) position. I ended up getting the job. There is a LOT of training, but I love it. Lowe's is awesome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

janobak in Roseburg, Oregon

27 months ago

janobak in Roseburg, Oregon said: LOL! This is kind of funny because what happened to me was just the opposite. I applied for a part-time stock-person position at Lowe's on a whim because I just wanted to work. I've been a Freelance Graphic Designer for 12-years. I took the on-line assessment test and must have done pretty well because a few days later an HR person called and asked me to apply for the full-time Sales Specialist - Cabinet (Kitchen and Bath Design) position. I ended up getting the job. There is a LOT of training, but I love it. Lowe's is awesome!

The assessment test is easy guys... no need to cheat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

jhopper in Nixa, Missouri

26 months ago

I took the assessment today on the Lowes.com website. The question are infact a personality test. Simply stated Lowes personality test is identifying motivated, helpful, people who can listen. The questions reflect these values. For example you are asked many questions about you handle stress and a chaninging work enviroment. You will be asked questions that regarding how well you remain on task, but be careful becasue some question will also try to determine if you take on tasks without being told to do them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Career counselor in Saint Paul, Minnesota

18 months ago

I have been doing career coaching and counseling for more than twenty years. These personality assessments are insidious attempts to keep people with cognitive and learning challenges out of their workforce. I know of many capable, dedicated candidates that have been excluded sight-unseen from consideration. This smacks of 19th century literacy tests used to discriminate against African-Americans. Maybe consumers should boycott big box discriminators and shop at progressive thinking lsmall businesses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

aminabakari74@gmail.com in Seattle, Washington

12 months ago

a b in Marietta, Georgia said: ASSESMENT TEST QUESTIONS HERE. I don't know the "best answers," but here are the questions for Assessment 1 and 2. Enjoy and good luck.

A customer asks for a brand of merchandise that is not available through your store. How would you respond to the customer?
A: Tell the customer which competitors carry that brand, but point out that your brand is similar.
B: Ask the customer more questions so you can suggest something else.
C: Tell the customer that your store carries the highest quality merchandise available.
D: Ask another Associate to help.
E: Tell the customer which competitors carry that brand.
Question 1: Tell the customer which competitors carry that brand, but point out that your brand is similar. .
Question 2: Ask the customer more questions so you can suggest something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

aminabakari74@gmail.com in Seattle, Washington

12 months ago

good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

aminabakari74@gmail.com in Seattle, Washington

12 months ago

a b in Marietta, Georgia said: A customer has just arrived in your department and is concerned that the store is too big for her to find what she needs. What would you say to this customer?
A: "Our competitors are building big stores and we had to do the same."
B: "What are you looking for and I'll point you in the right direction."
C: "I think you'll like it better once you get used to it."
D: "Let me help you. It's not so big once we know what you are looking for."
E: "This way you'll have more to choose from."
Question 3: "What are you looking for and I'll point you in the right direction."
Question 4: "I think you'll like it better once you get used to it."

A customer begins to ask you questions about a service you know little about. The customer is asking very detailed questions that you cannot answer. You are beginning to lose credibility with the customer and the one expert who can answer his questions is out for the day. What would you do?
A: Admit that this is not your strength and offer to have the expert call him another day.
B: Write down all of the questions and contact the customer the next day (after you have gotten the answers from the expert).
C: Answer the questions as best you can and then redirect the conversation to areas where you have more expertise.
D: Ask the customer to come in the next day and talk with the expert.
E: Point the customer to another associate who might be able to handle the issue.
Question 7: Answer the questions as best you can and then redirect the conversation to areas where you have more expertise.
Question 8: Ask the customer to come in the next day and talk with the expert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

aminabakari74@gmail.com in Seattle, Washington

12 months ago

a b in Marietta, Georgia said: A couple comes in looking to purchase some patio furniture . You can tell that he is anxious to buy – he doesn’t like looking. She, on the other hand, has looked at everything and can’t quite find one she likes. What would you do?
A: Find the one she likes the best and try to overcome her objections on that one.
B: Give a little on the price on the one she likes the best.
C: Suggest they consider a special order to get exactly the patio furniture she wants.
D: Tell them to think about their options and to contact you personally when they are ready to buy.
E: Determine which one he likes best and attempt to close the sale.
Question 9: Suggest they consider a special order to get exactly the patio furniture she wants.
Question 10:Give a little on the price on the one she likes the best.

A couple comes back to look at an item they had previously considered. They claim another sales person had quoted a price you cannot match (they can’t remember the sales person’s name). When you hold to your price, they become angry. What would you do?
A: Emphasize the value of the item as priced.
B: Tell them that they will have to identify the other sales person before you can do anything.
C: Hold to your pricing, but offer a slight discount on another service available to them.
D: Turn the couple over to your Manager to see if he can close the sale.
E: See if you can offer the price they claim they were quoted.
Question 11: Turn the couple over to your Manager to see if he can close the sale.
Question 12: See if you can offer the price they claim they were quoted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Captain Caveman in Buckhannon, West Virginia

11 months ago

The assesment test is a joke .

They hired a guy at my store . check this out .

He was a self admitted VAMPIRE ... a F***ING VAMPIRE . He could not go work in the Sun . He was not allowed to work in lawn and garden and be misted by water . BUt he could shower ? And could go outside as long as sunglasses are worn , inside as well .

Guess where he applied for . Outside lawn and garden .

OK . WTF is wrong with this picture ?

Obviously the assesment test is a complete joke . And the HR person is as well . Vampires . OH MY GOD . WHAT IF SOMEONE CUT THEIR FINGER ? wOULD THERE BE A BLOODLUST ? I could go on and on .

So what does this test assess ? If you passed it , it probably figured you were a good candidate for the amount of BS you will be fed . AN easy dosile creature willing to be a corporate employee to a corporation who doesnt really care about you as a regular employee . Someone who will rely on loews because they cannot do anything else in life but be a body for a department .

If you failed . Congratulation . It doesnt mean SH*T anyway because they will hire anyone . Or will they . Intelligent promisign people will not stay here for long anyway . I will be leaving in february to go back to my old job of $27.00 an hour , more than 40 hours , not limited to 39 hours . What does 39 hours a week max tell you folks ?

Lowes has done nothing for me but made me eligible for food stamps . the 401k , pay 6% to get 3% , joke .the benefits . obama care looks better everyday and for $333 a year in my area for the platinum package . Not $1500 . Stock ? Any fools knows a lowes wage is never going to make you money of a 49.00 a share stock , even if they buy for you at 35.00 .

PHU*QUE LOWES

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

KyLumberJack in Panama City, Florida

4 months ago

I took the very first version of this test back in 2002 when Lowes made all of us assistant store managers with the company at the same time compete for operations, sales, admin or zone managers. I was shocked when I scored 2nd highest out of 5400 ASM's but quickly realized what happened after speaking to other fellow ASM's within the district. I passed it along until I left in 2005. I answered all the questions with complete confidence of strongly disagree or strongly disagree. Checking #1 or #5 with no indecisive maybe answers. An MOD makes a dozen of these decisions everyday with a yes or no. In a fast moving store no one has time for indecisiveness. Certainly not your customer. Hope this helps someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Cooke in Manchester, United Kingdom

1 month ago

These used to be called aptitude tests and then psychometric profiling. They rarely have any practical relevance in the real world and to the day to day activities of the jobs they are trying to filter 'suitable' people for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolina 71 in Boone, North Carolina

28 days ago

I worked for Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse from 1989 till 2004, when I chose to quit and go to work for one of the companies that Lowe's bought from. I have since tried to get back on with Lowe's to only be told that I did not meet the qualifications for the job I applied for, which they hired a college student that knew nothing. I ask you how does a former employee not get rehired I think it has to d with the assessment test. The questions and situations never came up in my 15 years at Lowe's. I was also one of the top 2000 employees when I left. I was hired by the store manager on the loading dock in 1989 and then asked to fill out the application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tyrone Shanks in Lithonia, Georgia

6 days ago

SayNoToDepot in Avon, Ohio said: When you apply for certain positions at Lowes you have to take assessment tests, they as basic questions about what you would do in certain circumstances while dealing with customers at Lowes, there's four answers to these situations...all are similar...with one being the best answer to the situation...one being the worst...plu..I applied at a local Lowes store for a position as a Full Time Kitchen Designer , I didn't make the cut to the second interview. So, I applied to another Lowes store for a Full Time Flooring Sales It Specialist and as a Part Time Kitchen Designer ( Customer Service for Cabinets)...I talked to the human resource manager over the phone about

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.