Lowes': fair pay/duties

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

drjeckle in Minnesota

81 months ago

Does Lowes' have a good policy for paying equally between men and women in the same department doing the same job ? Are the duties the same, do they get treated equally?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

tenacious in Fayetteville, Arkansas

81 months ago

drjeckle in Minnesota said: Does Lowes' have a good policy for paying equally between men and women in the same department doing the same job ? Are the duties the same, do they get treated equally?

I have worked at Lowe's and the answer to both questions is NO. Women are not paid equally for years of expereience equal to a man in the same position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

kenny hugh in meridian, Mississippi

79 months ago

Lowes is not paying women the same amount of money for the same jobs that men are doing. Even with more education to back them up. Lowes is a MENS world. They will give a mans job to a woman and then expect her to lift and put up heavy freight just like a man and be done with you when you break your back down and never function the same ever again. Is there any place that cares about there employees anymore?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

DMISLowes in Akron, Ohio

79 months ago

Interesting assessment. I would disagree, possibly because many of my bosses are women. Of course, pay information is not public, so it is all heresay. Like any job, if you want the same pay, you must do the same work. Why should someone who can manage heavy freight and move heavy equipment be paid the same as someone who can not, providing the position requires it? Lowes uses a pay scale system that assures equal pay per experience within Lowes.
Safety is also important, and Lowes would never require an unsafe situation - even if they didnt care about their employees, it makes absolutely no business sense.
Home Improvement is a "world" dominated by men historically. Its not because of prejudace, its because that is traditionally a men's field. Our local Lowes has more women then men employed.
A little research will yeild the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

auntiemaim in Ardmore, Oklahoma

79 months ago

There will always be discrepancies in pay between men and women. Some obvious, some subtle. Most, I think, are not a purposeful slap to gender. I think men are more aggressive in their stance to pay. Many women I know take the " I'm just happy to get the job" attitude.
As personal attitudes change, so will disparities in pay and advancement.
Personally, I have felt short changed in the issue of pay, and proceeded to ride that horse straight to corporate, following the chain of command until someone spoke up, acknowledged there were issues and corrected it.
So many of my fellow employees sigh about pay, hours, staffing and scheduling, yet do not follow up.
Nothing wrong with stepping up to the plate, with the correct managers, and asking for help, including pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Pait in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

It depends on experience, I have heard that most of those types of places pay alot less to females. I worked for one of Home Depots vendors just approaching people in the store asking them who is painting your house and doing your drywall or tearing down sheetrock. Paid $13.00 per hour and had alot of fun, the person I live with has been working there almost ten years and she makes 13.25 per hour. Wich is not bad.

If you have worked in alot of places that pay well they may or may not be able to accomidate your pay negotiations. Be savy about it, in my opinion the worst thing someone can ever do in an interview is ask someone the amount of money they can offer them instead of the original offer. However on some jobs if they say greeting our pay ranges from $9.00 to $13.00 dollars and hour. Then if they offer you $9.00 per hour and you have more experience or have made more money than that they will more than likely offer you the maximum figure.

United Healthcare offers $9.00 to $29.00 an hour just work in a call center. They offered an open house ceremony for people who worked for the same company as me. I have never met anyone who makes $30.00 an hour working in a call center. That is ungodly, would be nice though. In that type of atmosphere I don't even understand how you build up to that bracket without a degree, but even then most people with degress are gonna be sick of the call center enviroment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roberta Withers in Saint Louis, Missouri

77 months ago

Just seeking new jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bridget Ballard in White Hall, Arkansas

76 months ago

I live in Pine Bluff seeking a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lowespsa in dandridge, Tennessee

71 months ago

the answer to your question is no. Females get looked upon as the weekest link I guess. I have worked for lowes for 7 yrs and get paid alot less than others in my store that had no experience and had been there less than a year and get this I had to train them even my dm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

lowespsa in richlands, Virginia

71 months ago

lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Zimitrov in Pinellas Park, Florida

56 months ago

lowespsa in dandridge, Tennessee said: the answer to your question is no. Females get looked upon as the weekest link I guess. I have worked for lowes for 7 yrs and get paid alot less than others in my store that had no experience and had been there less than a year and get this I had to train them even my dm.

I would have to disagree. Women are not looked down upon, not as a whole anyway. Lowe's is an equal opportunity workplace, but that does not mean that all people that work for the company want a career out of it. For most people, it's just a job! when you however treat your job with a lesser commitment than a career oriented employee, it reflects very visibly in your performance. Pay & advancement is based on one hand, to how much you care for the company & on the other hand, how you can benefit it. I have many women coworkers, some DMs, some on the Admin end, & some higher up, as well as many cashiers & so forth. Regardless what gender a person is, if you have the drive to move up the ladder & are willing to sweat, work hard & show that you're worth it, then you'll get it.
It is not fair to believe that you as a woman should be paid the same but do less than a man, under the pretense that "you're a woman, & you can't do that."
If you have been working for the company for a long time, then in all likelyhood yes, you probably do & will get paid less than less experienced people, because unfortunately the new hire scale changes with time, but the annual raise scale had stayed the same. The remedy to that is to move up/advance & the pay will jump accordingly. I've been through that, & it's unfortunate, but that's something that is NOT discriminatory based. It's simply a fault in the business from an employee POV & a money saver from the company's POV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

littleton in Brookhaven, Mississippi

35 months ago

DMISLowes in Akron, Ohio said: Interesting assessment. I would disagree, possibly because many of my bosses are women. Of course, pay information is not public, so it is all heresay. Like any job, if you want the same pay, you must do the same work. Why should someone who can manage heavy freight and move heavy equipment be paid the same as someone who can not, providing the position requires it? Lowes uses a pay scale system that assures equal pay per experience within Lowes.
Safety is also important, and Lowes would never require an unsafe situation - even if they didnt care about their employees, it makes absolutely no business sense.
Home Improvement is a "world" dominated by men historically. Its not because of prejudace, its because that is traditionally a men's field. Our local Lowes has more women then men employed.
A little research will yeild the truth.

yea the working positions are for the men and the office work is for the women

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jonbmore in Elkridge, Maryland

26 months ago

lowespsa in dandridge, Tennessee said: the answer to your question is no. Females get looked upon as the weekest link I guess. I have worked for lowes for 7 yrs and get paid alot less than others in my store that had no experience and had been there less than a year and get this I had to train them even my dm.

If that is true, that is appalling!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amyrecv in Parkersburg, West Virginia

5 months ago

littleton in Brookhaven, Mississippi said: yea the working positions are for the men and the office work is for the women
I am a female and have worked in receiving for 8yrs as a receiver and suddenly a guy in his 50s gets hired as a lead receiver. Mind you this is 2yrs after I had been there. I am both clerks backups and lift appliances better and faster then his out drive him. But because he is good at gladhanding(suckup} he gets the job. Do not receive accurately nor does he drive very good wines about lifting. I have said that equal job should be equal pay. All though I have been demonstrating for yrs that I am more productive it falls on deaf ears. So I disagree Lowes does not pay fairly. 30yrs of being a forman in plant(him) versus 27yrs doing this type of work should have applied. My boss and his boss think I should just be thankful I have a job. Now if the tables were turned bet there would be changes. Its discrimination all the way. I have been told that the lead receiver is no more so why cant I be at his pay level. EQUAL PAY same job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

amyrecv in Parkersburg, West Virginia

5 months ago

It there any management left that cares enough about there employees to do something. They say well this happened before I got there sorry. Nobody wants to step up. By the way correction I out drive him daily out lift him and trained in multiple jobs in receiving while they take care of him. He does not have to work very fast, sits a lot. Heard my boss say its ok he is old. He thinks it is ok to lean on me more to protect his buddy. I have had it. I love this job. Its like they think if they make me mad enough I will quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.