Salary Negotiation for PT Cashier

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Jackalo in Bountiful, Utah

77 months ago

I was just hired at my local Lowe's and I am excited about it. It is a second job for me and I will be working evenings and weekends. After the HR guy gave me the drug test, he told me that he would be offering me $10.22 per hour as a part time seasonal cashier. In my normal career, I would have tried to negotiate my salary. However, I wasn't sure if this was appropriate or not for a PT retail cashier job. Has anyone negotiated their salary up front and were you successful?

Also, the guy who hired me asked me not to talk about my starting wage because normally they start people out lower. Is this the case? Does this seem like a lot for a PT seasonal cashier?

One more thing--They did tell me that there are other openings in the store and asked if I'd be interested in something other than a cashier. They did mention, though, that people get the most hours in the cashier jobs. Is this true? And do other jobs pay more than the cashier jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jxs in Saint Johnsbury, Vermont

77 months ago

I'd say that's about right, i worked as a cashier at Lowe's in a small rural town and was offered $9.09 to start. Being a summer job between college semesters i couldn't complain. I didn't try to negotiate pay, but you'll get a raise after 3 months.
Other jobs in the store may not start out with higher pay, but you may get commission. I didn't know anybody who had hours less than what they wanted, but at that store it may be different. I've found that the HR people at Lowe's can either be great to work with or just awful, i guess any position can be like that. The administrative manager is normally your best bet to talk to if you have any issues with pay because the HR managers I've found haven't done anything productive to help me.
I'll warn you now being a cashier isn't even close to a good job, there's a lot of down time. The main benefit to being on the floor is that there's not much down time.
I hope this helped a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mattgr4 in Cincinnati, Ohio

74 months ago

Jackalo in Bountiful, Utah said: I was just hired at my local Lowe's and I am excited about it. It is a second job for me and I will be working evenings and weekends. After the HR guy gave me the drug test, he told me that he would be offering me $10.22 per hour as a part time seasonal cashier. In my normal career, I would have tried to negotiate my salary. However, I wasn't sure if this was appropriate or not for a PT retail cashier job. Has anyone negotiated their salary up front and were you successful?

Also, the guy who hired me asked me not to talk about my starting wage because normally they start people out lower. Is this the case? Does this seem like a lot for a PT seasonal cashier?

One more thing--They did tell me that there are other openings in the store and asked if I'd be interested in something other than a cashier. They did mention, though, that people get the most hours in the cashier jobs. Is this true? And do other jobs pay more than the cashier jobs?

pay really just depends on where your store is located and how well your doing in sales. when you break things down a cashiering position is pretty much lowest on the food chain, and typically a CSA(customer service associate) will make more then a cashier. and the hr manager is usually not who your going to have to debate pay with. your store manager and hr will have to come to that decision together. and there is never any harm in debating pay, the worst they can say is no, but if your qualified and you can give them reasons on why you feel you should make more, usually they will knock you up a little more. and as for hours, cashiers hours are the ones they will cut first, and sales floor associates are the ones they use to cover cashiers. but if your just looking for a seasonal job, you shouldnt be worried with them cutting your hours. but i do no for my area...10.22 is a lot for just a seasonal cashier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.