lowes employees

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Scullygrl31 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

That is not true. My ex is a Store Manager with Lowes and every one knew what he was doing and he got away with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sunlover in Lawrence, Massachusetts

71 months ago

Scullygrl31 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: That is not true. My ex is a Store Manager with Lowes and every one knew what he was doing and he got away with it.

I'm confused Scullygrl31, you said that he got away with it. Don't you mean that you both got away with it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

sunlover in Lawrence, Massachusetts said: I'm confused Scullygrl31, you said that he got away with it. Don't you mean that you both got away with it?

No that is not what I mean. He is no longer my husband. Excuse me if I don't go into detail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Oh, That's OK I understand. I thought that it was me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

sunlover in Lawrence, Massachusetts said: Oh, That's OK I understand. I thought that it was me.

No problem. Take care.

R Medere in Tecumseh, Michigan

71 months ago

Scullygrl31 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: No problem. Take care.

I was a store mgr. w/Lowes.... store managers get away, not that I did, with 10 times more than any other associates/ass. mgrs. do!

I worked my way up and finally left that culture...

71 months ago

R Medere in Tecumseh, Michigan said: I was a store mgr. w/Lowes.... store managers get away, not that I did, with 10 times more than any other associates/ass. mgrs. do!

I worked my way up and finally left that culture...

He left that culture just recently ....only not by choice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

G-4 Forever in Salem's Lot, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: Not that I have anything against gays, but I found out the other day that a friend of mine had been released from Lowes. It appears that he made a remark to another associate using the phrase "are you gay or something"? and it got back to the store manager. it was done in a jokingly manner an wasn't malicious in any way. This was the reason given for termination. "David's employment is terminated immediately to uphold Lowe's vision, value and culture. David has never been written up and was recently told that he exemplifies the type of manager Lowe's is looking for as was indicated by his SM. What's ironic is that the Store Manager is gay, the HR Manager is gay, and the Admin Manager is also gay. Rumer has it that the Admin Manager was fired from Home Depot. She was caught kissing another female. MMMMMMMMM sound a bit strange?

Sounds like most of the stores!

BTW, hello bunker!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bunker_Charles in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Political correctness has priority over everything. One must change their world view, accept diversity and adapt to the workplace. Or at least learn what not to say. Otherwise you will be branded a bigot or a phobe. Even if you were just trying to be funny. In today's world only people who are professional comedians are authorized to make these types of jokes.

That is the way it is. Sarcasm is often misunderstood and easily manipulated by both parties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Killer Tomatoes in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Geez, BunkerDoodleDandy, would that be any reason why Lowe's tossed YOU under the bus?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Killer Tomatoes in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania said: Geez, BunkerDoodleDandy, would that be any reason why Lowe's tossed YOU under the bus?

<Edited by Host: off topic comment removed>.

<Edited by Host: off topic comment removed>.

As far as me and political correctness, I have been a follower of it since it was thrust upon us during the Clinton Administration.

So no, not the reason the Lowe's bus backed over me. I got run over for mostly standing up to Lowe's big wigs protecting the <Edited by Host: personal attack removed> when they wanted to cut payroll or fire people without justification. I was one of a few that would take a stand and risk their jobs. Others like me have sinced left also. Leaving you with what you have at Lowe's today, a bunch of "Yes People" who bow to Corporate. My nickname was "Rage Against The Machine" and some people didn't like that I had the front line workers and customers best interest at heart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Admin in Stamford, Connecticut

69 months ago

Hello everyone, Please keep all comments on topic so other forum users can learn more about the Lowe's work environment. Thank you, Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I'm taking questions from all comers on the Lowe's work environment, fire away with any questions and I will try to answer them. I'm here to help others and not be a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: I have a couple questions for you Bunker,first do you currently work for Lowe's or have you ever worked for Lowe's? second what makes you an authority on Lowe's? and thirdly What is or what was your position in Lowe's? Just for my own information.

Yes I worked for Lowe's for many years. I left in 2001. I was in management at both Lowe's and Home Depot at various levels. I worked at Home Depot from 2001 until 2006. I watch both companies pretty close through news reports, financial statements, posts on forums and still remain in personal contact with a number of current Lowe's and Home Depot people.

I spent the majority of my career at Lowe's and I still have an interest in how the company does now and in the future. Same with Home Depot. I am also about to build a website on Home Depot starting in 2009, based on the same model we use at www.LowesRedApron.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

<Edited by Host: off topic comment removed> I have a question Bunker. When they are busy cutting payroll, why don't they think of cutting bonus instead? From say 30 mil to 10 mil instead? I think the big cheese could get along fine with 20 mil less. Your take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

<Edited by Host: off topic comment removed>

And mighty good ideas they are. Ever think of writing to Corp?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

G-4 Forever in Salem's Lot, Massachusetts said: <Edited by Host: off topic comment removed>

And mighty good ideas they are. Ever think of writing to Corp?

Unfortunately they don't listen to the people that work there (you people) so I doubt they would take any outside advice either. The group of Executives currently in power (most, not all) think they have all the answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

<Edited by Host: off topic comments removed>

Now back once again to Lowe's. How bad is the payroll being cut at your Lowe's store? I posted on my personal blog about how I suggest to keep you job during this financial crisis.

Any thoughts legitimate Lowe's posters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: Bunker,

You have indicated that you worked for both Lowe's and the Depot. What was your scheduling like when working at Lowe's. How many hours a day did you work, and how many consecutive days did you wok as well? How did your hours at Lowe's compare with those of the Depot?

As a Store Manager I usually worked 6 days per week. Almost always on Friday night and both weekend days. I would take a slow weekday off for personal errands.

I actually worked less hours at Home Depot as a manager. Because during the time I worked there the emphasis on store appearance wasn't as great as Lowe's. Lowe's stores get like "white glove" Military style inspections on a regular basis. The Manager is judged by the look of the store.

At Depot we were always focused more on selling, ordering and merchandising. Addressing out of stocks was more important of an issue than some dust.

When Home Depot got Robert Nardelli as a CEO, he changed the focus to be more like Lowe's. As a result, he is gone (now at Chyrsler) and Home Depot has never recovered.

Now both companies have their front line employees focused on everything but selling products to customers. Add to that situation not enough cashiers to even take money from the customers.

So much of the problems at both companies are related to the current economy, but many of these changes occurred before the housing market's bubble burst. Corporate greed will eventually kill one of these behemoths. I'm just not certain which one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: I look forward to your website. It's possible that you can control the trolls on your site. Good luck.

Here are our plans. There is currently a great website for Home Depot called the Orange Blood Bank.

<Edited by Host: advertisement removed>

But it's free MSN Groups host is closing in Feb. 2009. The owner is trying to move it to Multiply.com. But their software will not allow him to transfer the site in it's original form.

So if he fails to successfully accomplish that and his thousands of Home depot employee members chose not to join the new Multiply site, then we will step in and offer an alternative. Based on Lowe's Red Apron, but obviously the focus will be Home Depot. We are also planning to build similar site for Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target.

We will be offering to collaborate with that site's owner, but either way there will be a great Home Depot forum in the near future.

We also have formed a cooperative with some programmers to build the new sites and will try to house some of these new sites on our own servers to reduce overall costs. But this project is still just in the planning stages. We are still arguing about which software platforms to go with and we are testing quite a few.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: Like everything else, it appears that not all Lowe's facilities follow the same corporate schedule. According to the corporate schedule recommendation, SM's are scheduled off two weekends a month. Did you choose to work the weekend schedule? You had also indicated that you had worked a maximum of 6 days a week. With the scheduled week beginning on a Saturday and ending on a Friday, how many consecutive days had you worked before taking a day off. Even if you had worked 6 straight days a week and assuming that you worked 11 hour days, that's 66 total hours before receiving a day off. The SM's job description indicates a maximum of 55 hours per week?? Did you work all these hours on your own, or is that how the schedule worked out? Did you do the staff scedule, or did your OPS. Manager work the staff schedule?

I worked my own schedule for the benefit of the store. And yes I gave more than what was required by the Corporate schedule. You will find you cannot do a Store Manager's job effectively at just 55 hours per week. Unless you have a bunch of great, hardworking people. At current day Lowe's, payroll is cut back so much that Managers have to take up the slack. I base this on my discussions with Lowe's managers both online and in the real world. As a Store Manager, I made the various Managers turn in schedules to me for review and then we made the schedules for the store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: Bunker, Without question you are a model employee for any company. With working all those hours, what effect did it have on your family, and what are you doing now, are you still in retail?

I wouldn't call myself a model employee. I was too protective of the people I served and that clouded my judgement sometimes. My marriage ended in divorce. And my paying more attention to my career than my spouse definately played a role in that matter.

The working hours and stress also caused some health problems for me. The money was great, but you had to be married to the company.

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: That's the point that I was getting at Bunker and new that you would see through my question. I have seen you situation time and time again as I'm certain you have. The same thing almost happened to me but I caught it in time. Thirty years in retail was enough for me. I'm now doing something totally different and enjoying every minute if it. I see my family every evening and every weekend now and one can not put a price on this.

I hear you. I live the simple life now. Not as extravagant, very modest compared to before. But my afternoons, evenings and weekends are dedicated to my family. And I now consider my personal health important and take care of myself better.

As a result, I have never been happier or more at peace with myself. Money isn't everything. But I do miss the "retail action" sometimes.

As you can see one of my favorite hobbies is battling with online trolls between my morning coffee and reading the news and forums.

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: You say the money was great Bunker and I would have to somewhat agree with you however, hve you ever worked out your hourly rate when working the hours that you did? I had worked on numerous occasions 9 straight days, one day off, and then 8 straight days before another day off. Granted these 17 days were in fact spread over 2 weeks, but when I worked out the hourly rate, it was discouraging to say the least. We paid for it with our hides and noone appreciated it.

Yes, even when I divided the hours it was still great. Because I had a few years where I cashed in stock options in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. So if I added up my my entire earnings history at Lowe's divided the total hours worked, I still was satisfied. Now being divorced, leaving my ex with a paid for home, cars and all the possesions as well as alimony, most of those earnings belong to her now. LOL!

So like I said before, money isn't my priority any longer. I live comfortably, but it requires more diligent financial management on my part these days. Family is the focus. And that has made me a better person. I agree with you. We got paid and that would be the only real appreciation it seems for people at the end of a long career in Retail.

Lowe's and retail in general has become a meat grinder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Bunker_Charles in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania said: Yes, even when I divided the hours it was still great. Because I had a few years where I cashed in stock options in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. So if I added up my my entire earnings history at Lowe's divided the total hours worked, I still was satisfied. Now being divorced, leaving my ex with a paid for home, cars and all the possesions as well as alimony, most of those earnings belong to her now. LOL!

So like I said before, money isn't my priority any longer. I live comfortably, but it requires more diligent financial management on my part these days. Family is the focus. And that has made me a better person. I agree with you. We got paid and that would be the only real appreciation it seems for people at the end of a long career in Retail.

Lowe's and retail in general has become a meat grinder.

<Edited by Host: off topic comment removed> And I disagree with you. Lowe's gives one just what they deserve. Hard work, honesty, and a willingness to do what is needed to get the job accomplished will get you where you're looking to go.

Of course competent management is key.

It is what you make of it. Meat grinder, I don't think so. Much has changed since you left but it is not all for the worst.

69 months ago

G-4 Forever in Salem's Lot, Massachusetts said: Much has changed since you left but it is not all for the worst.

Thankfully I got to enjoy the greatest years at Lowe's early 90's through 2001, when we transitioned from a bunch of small stores to a real competitor against Home Depot.

Corporate didn't have a clue during that time, they relied on people with skills and knowledge at the store, district and regional levels.

Corporate was a support function back then, unlike today where they tell you people how to run the stores. People like me want to blaze our own trails, not follow orders from some person that never worked a day in a Lowe's store.

Myself and other's hardwork built the company you now have. Enjoy it, take care of it. When I read that there is no help. One person is covering 3-4 Departments during an entire shift. Then I know you guys have messed it up.

The only thing saving Lowe's is that Home Depot is messed up even worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Run2U in Boston, Massachusetts said: The entire retail indistry has changed. I began my retail career in 1973 as a trainee with Sears. My first assignment was that of Department Manager of flooring. The department was budgeted to do $475,000.00. I had 2 full time and 1 part-time employees. There were "19" other department managers in the facility as well. The store was 78,000sq.ft.and was budgeted to do 38 million dollars. Look what had happened to Sears today. There are many reasons why this happened, but we don't have enough time to discuss. When I had left after 25 years,the management staff in a retail store of this size consisted of 6 so called Sales Managers. On a different note I understabn that Lowe's eliminated the HR position in stores and everything is no handled out of corporate. My undestanding is that it is a nightmare attempted to contacted them with a question. You're put on hold indefinitely.

Lowe's still has HRM's at all the stores. You are confusing HD with Lowe's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alygryl in Gibston, Florida

69 months ago

I actually have a question. Does anyone know how much a department manager makes? I was just curious

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leoma in Virginia Beach, Virginia

68 months ago

I'm a new member to this post. I have been reading some of the past posts and being a Lowes employee for over 6 years I can tell you things have changed a lot (not all for the good) since Robert Nibloc became CEO. It seems we are being inundated with more and more "requiredments" for our daily business and getting away from being able to provide good customer service. Ever look at a customer and think "what do you want. Can't you see I'm busy trying to get my work done?" Now that staffing has been downsized things seem to be getting worse and customers are walking out the door because they cannot find anyone to help them.

As far as the Department managers pay, I am a specialist and I know I make more money than they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Hardworker, the main thing for you to think right now if you report the situation is: (1) if your husband gets fired will you be able to pay your bills?; (2)if your husband gets fired, and you leave him (and I would) will you be able to pay your bills; and (3) since her husband works at your store, will you pay a penalty, (the messenger is usually the one who gets shot) meaning, does her husband have the ability to get you fired, even if it's for revenge and anger?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HARDWORKER2009 in Brandon, Florida

60 months ago

thank you for the advice. i just wanted someone's opinion on the subject. i think the best thing for me to do is handle it privately with my husband.

60 months ago

Leoma in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I'm a new member to this post. I have been reading some of the past posts and being a Lowes employee for over 6 years I can tell you things have changed a lot (not all for the good) since Robert Nibloc became CEO. It seems we are being inundated with more and more "requiredments" for our daily business and getting away from being able to provide good customer service. Ever look at a customer and think "what do you want. Can't you see I'm busy trying to get my work done?" Now that staffing has been downsized things seem to be getting worse and customers are walking out the door because they cannot find anyone to help them.

As far as the Department managers pay, I am a specialist and I know I make more money than they do.

A sure sign that potential customers a walking out the dooor, is seeing empty carts being left in the aisles. I thought the implementation of the "Blue Vest" was going to solve this problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BIG D in Carson, California

40 months ago

Bunker_Charles in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania said: I assume you are stating that Lowe's "big cheese" gets 30 million annually in bonus? If so, then:

The executives at Lowe's are over compensated. But where they are getting rich isn't the bonus program. It's the outright gifts of stock. And of course stock options that they can cash in and profit from when the stock market and Lowe's is doing well.

Enough with the Google Translation Tool ...puhleeeez!

I would recommend that they axe like 20% of the Senior Management at Lowe's Corporate. Not the hourly people there or the middle range people who actually accomplish something. I'm talking about all the VP levels and above that get the credit for others work.

Less suits at Mooresville would result in less programs and directives to the store level. Allowing the stores to concentrate on a few basics:

1. Proper staffing to serve customers in an adequate manner.

2. Focus on keeping shelves fully stocked and areas well maintained.

3. Attention to shrink control and paperwork errors to avoid losses with a focus on accurate Receiving and preventing margin losses.

Throw away all the needless reports and focus on selling products to customers. Throw all the binders and clipboards in the trash compactor. Forget about the papertrails for a period and focus on selling.

Go back to the basics. Walk the store. Have Managers that know the business and can teach others. Or at least learn from others so they can teach in the future. Put an emphasis on having great people. Recognize their accomplishments. Reward them with a 6-8% raise instead of a 2.5% raise.

Have a semi-annual bonus pool that the entire store participates in (based on # of hours worked).

The only person to receive a bonus outside of that would be the Store Manager based on a number of metrics that involve running the store. But all others are in the same boat for the same bonus pool prorated based on the numbers of hours they worked

BIG D in Carson, California

40 months ago

I am a commercial specialist on the west coast, and like many of you I too came from home depot after 15 years of service. My last year at home depot they were cutting people left and right, and the ones being cut were the ones making in there mind "lots of money" Wow twenty dollars or more is a lot? its not even 41.000 a year. They put there eyes on me and Lowes came along with the chance to start over, break away from a ceo who was driving the company I loved into the ground. Maybe Lowes would be different than all the horror storys we were told during our management meetings. Been here 5 years and in many ways it's just the same,with a different colored appron. The out of stock issues are killing me and ability to do business. The contractors want it today not any later and they should know that. Try ordering Trex decking, you must wait for a full truck to be cleared by the dc for it to be shipped, this process has taking in the past 4 weeks. Unacceptable!!! Our pricing on installs such as fencing, and others can really boggle the mind, and thats about it on that matter. The issue of credit is probably the thing that will take me down, I have the hardest damn time trying to get LARs and LABs. I am a seasoned sales person with over 26 years experience in both retail and corporate sales, but opening new accounts is a challenge. People don't want credit now and most wont qualify for it anyway. Im doing what i can but ive already been given a verbal for not making my weekly quota. Gonna hit the streets tommorrow and solicit local businesses, wish me luck.

Jenn in Syracuse, New York

39 months ago

Does any no if wife and husband are allowed to work in the same Lowes store? Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.