How to get a job at M.D.Anderson Cancer Center.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Host

Do you work at M.D.Anderson Cancer Center? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Vickie in Houston, Texas

104 months ago

I've also applied for positions many many times and have never heard anything. I plan on going in to the Human Resources office tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Vickie in Houston, Texas

104 months ago

Well, I went in to the HR Department today for MDA. I was told that applications are only submitted via the internet and it may take weeks even months before the recruiter may contact you. I am beginning to believe that the only way to get your foot in the door is to have a significant contact within the institute.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dora

104 months ago

Rhonda in Houston, Texas said: wow! i wonder why it takes so long for them to contact candidates... thank you so much for getting back with me on your results today. good luck to ya.

To be honest with you, MD Anderson has called me lots of times,and I've had a good resume, and passed the exam they offer to get in, their's about 21 positions in the Pharmacy so I just have to wait, to get a response! Just make your resume interesting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

26 years of trying in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

Ladies, it is extremely hard to penetrate the walls at MDA. I have been trying since leaving high school. I had a few family members and friends there but knowing someone doesn't always get you in. I have had about 3 or 4 interviews and have always passed the tests they give but to date I am still waiting on the offer. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the effort I've put into trying to work there. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

Melissa in Houston, Texas said: Vickie...you are right about knowing someone inside, because I witnessed a lot of unqualified people being hired that knew someone. I worked there once about a year ago and I am going to be honest. The politics there will drive you insane. I didn't know anyone inside and was hired, and I consider that a blessing, but I had applied for years...seven to be exact. After finally getting into what I thought was the greatest employer in Houston...I left after 10 months!

Like Melissa, I didn't know anyone at M. D. Anderson before I applied. I had never even heard of M. D. Anderson! I ended up working there for 2-1/2 years, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life! Without going into too much detail, I honestly felt like I was being abused. Within a month of my employment, I knew something was off; however, I stuck it out because of the "WOW" reactions that I got from people when I told them where I worked. I also thought that my experience there would lead to greater job opportunities later. Anyway, it's been 2 years since I was laid off (that's right, laid off from one of the largest employers in Houston), and having the great M. D. Anderson on my resume has NOT helped my employability at all!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

Kim, I know exactly how you felt. Even my family was upset with me for leaving, but I just cannot accept being miserable. I also got caught up in the "WOW" reactions. I wasn't laid off, but I did indeed leave...after giving 2 hours' notice. I just couldn't take it. I had worked for the US government for several years and nothing I encountered there was as bad as working for MDA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Casey in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

It took a matter of eight days for them to reply to my application and resume and I have an interview this week. If you really want to work there, just be persistent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Mack in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

I just received via email a "flush" notice about a job I applied for almost 3 months ago. They ain't in any hurry to get back to you unless someone higher up needs that positioned filled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Houston, Texas

102 months ago

Casey in Houston, Texas said: It took a matter of eight days for them to reply to my application and resume and I have an interview this week. If you really want to work there, just be persistent.

I think you should consider yourself lucky with that. I have been applying to MDA since before I moved to Houston 3 months ago for a position that I am very qualified for. The last time I applied they had 3 positions up for over a month. I contacted human resources several times with was absolutely no help. They wouldn't even give me the name of a person I could get in contact with in the department for which I was applying. Then, a 4th position came available! Not only did I apply for that position too, but I also looked up the director of the department on the website and sent her a cover letter, resume and letter of recommendation. I got an e-mail back saying that they had received my resume package, but I needed to apply on line. I did 4 times! Needless to say, all 4 positions were filled that same week. I don't think anyone should take it for granted if they get an interview. I have a good resume and good cover letter. I think in healthcare, 90% of the time you have to know someone to get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Houston, Texas

102 months ago

Melissa, I’m curious about how you were able to bounce back and find employment after leaving an employer after giving immediate notice to terminate. “I experience the “WOW” experienced with Chevron USA in early August. After pursuing them for years I finally got in, I was there for 5 months and could not withstand the HELL within.” I am currently looking for work and have gone on a few interviews with companies of the same stature as Chevron but, am at a lost as to how to properly and/or explain this away in a proper or professional manner or whether or not I should just omit from my resume.

What was your success in overcoming this? I am almost desperate, heck I am, I've started doing Healthy Patient studies to make ends meet.

Melissa in Houston, Texas said: Kim, I know exactly how you felt. Even my family was upset with me for leaving, but I just cannot accept being miserable. I also got caught up in the "WOW" reactions. I wasn't laid off, but I did indeed leave...after giving 2 hours' notice. I just couldn't take it. I had worked for the US government for several years and nothing I encountered there was as bad as working for MDA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Oluwademilade Osibanjo in Memphis, Tennessee

102 months ago

i have applied at least two to three times for a radiation therapist position at MDA. but i have not heard from anyone.does anyone have any suggestions on what i need to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Houston, Texas

102 months ago

You just need to apply over and over and over again. I too applied for a radiation therapist position. I've been applyiing since March and amazingly enough, I just set up an interview with them today! I've watched I don't know how many positions come and go. You just have to hang in there. Sooner or later something will happen. Oh yeah, and there is no one you can talk to. HR wouldn't give me and info so I looked up the the department director on the website and sent my cover letter, resume and letter of recommendation and still missed out on an interview during that time. They just e-mailed me back saying that I need to apply through HR. Guess what? I already had 4 applications with HR! So, yeah, it can be really frusterating. Nothing seems to make sense. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Houston, Texas

102 months ago

Dora said: To be honest with you, MD Anderson has called me lots of times,and I've had a good resume, and passed the exam they offer to get in, their's about 21 positions in the Pharmacy so I just have to wait, to get a response! Just make your resume interesting!

What kind of test did you have to take? Was it one of those personality tests?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Houston, Texas

102 months ago

26 years of trying in Houston, Texas said: Ladies, it is extremely hard to penetrate the walls at MDA. I have been trying since leaving high school. I had a few family members and friends there but knowing someone doesn't always get you in. I have had about 3 or 4 interviews and have always passed the tests they give but to date I am still waiting on the offer. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the effort I've put into trying to work there. Good luck!

What kind of test do they give?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

afitz30 in Humble, Texas

96 months ago

I have recently interviewed for a job at MD Anderson (not in the medical field), a little less than a week ago. During the interview I asked how soon would it be before I would get a response; and the answer was a week. Well a week has passed and I'm starting to get nervous. Personally I felt the interview went great, I explained my answers to each question thouroughly with examples and as far as the job description, I meet or exceed all qualifications.I find alot of employers here in Houston don't even respond after interviews, they just let you know that you didn't get the job by not replying and that is unprofessional in my opinion. My question is did anyone ever interview with MD Anderson and never receive anything afterwards just curious?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elp in Missouri City, Texas

95 months ago

Yes,
I interviewed with the MDA on two separate occasion for the same position. I was under the impression from the department group and management they were interested in me and if they could they would have cloned me for other parts of the office. well guess what, i never heard from them again. Not even a hey we picked another candidate. I feel God knew that was not the place for me or He would have granted me the position.

Curious in Houston, Texas

92 months ago

This question is for anyone who worked at MDA and quit or dislikes working their very much.

What department and/or position did/do you have?

I understand the deal about the politics (that's on every job) but what made you dislike working there besides that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Psanoon in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

afitz30 in Humble, Texas said: I have recently interviewed for a job at MD Anderson (not in the medical field), a little less than a week ago. During the interview I asked how soon would it be before I would get a response; and the answer was a week. Well a week has passed and I'm starting to get nervous. Personally I felt the interview went great, I explained my answers to each question thouroughly with examples and as far as the job description, I meet or exceed all qualifications.I find alot of employers here in Houston don't even respond after interviews, they just let you know that you didn't get the job by not replying and that is unprofessional in my opinion. My question is did anyone ever interview with MD Anderson and never receive anything afterwards just curious?

I was just wondering did you get the position at MD Anderson? I would like to apply for a non-medical position. It is a Designer position...Any helpful tips?

Thanks you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Rhonda in Houston, Texas said: I am also trying to get a job at MD Anderson. I have applied many times through their website for jobs that I am qualified for and have yet to get a call for that first interview. Have you gotten any responses to your post? Right now I've applied for Editor's Assistant and Communications Assistant...

DID YOU EVER GET HIRED BY MD ANDERSON? I WANT TO APPLY FOR A DESIGN POSITION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Vickie in Houston, Texas said: Well, I went in to the HR Department today for MDA. I was told that applications are only submitted via the internet and it may take weeks even months before the recruiter may contact you. I am beginning to believe that the only way to get your foot in the door is to have a significant contact within the institute.

DID YOU EVER GET THE JOB IN MD ANDERSON?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Annien in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

It's hard to get in the door at MDA. Do have some suggestions. First of all, before applying online, read the job description (or better yet the position description if you can find someone who has a copy of it) and tailor your resume to match some of the keywords. HR is the gatekeeper and if they don't think your resume qualifies, then you won't get an interview.

It's not a bad place to work (great benefits and some great people) but it is sickeningly political and bureaucratic. However, don't buy all the hype about #1 cancer Center or it being one of the best places in Houston to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annien in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

I was a contractor at MDA and they decided to hire me. Interviewed with four separate people, which took hours. After the offer was made, they did a background check. They will call references and former employers.

One other thing, some job postings are for jobs where they already have a candidate in mind but they still have to post a job and bring other candidates in to interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

I work in the research wing of MD Anderson, and I have been here ~2 years.
Recently, a former member of our lab went on to be a professor at a prestigious university. This former member referred a very bright undergraduate student (who is an MD/PhD hopeful) to my boss to come and work in the lab for the summer. My boss was told the student had to be processed through HR, so the student did all of the things asked, including taking an HR "personality" type of test. HR informed us that the student had failed the test and thus could not come to work here. This was not acceptable, as an agreement had already been made between my boss and the former lab member that the student would come and do the work- HR never needed to be involved at all.
Around this same time, another member of the lab applied for an internal job change and had to take the same HR test. The lab member failed the test also, but was told by HR that they could take some customer service training to ameliorate the failure and then be eligible for the job change again. This lab member has an excellent track record, good relationships with people in the lab and in other labs, and does good work. This represents a double standard by Anderson.
If you fail the HR personality test, you are not eligible to apply or be considered for any other jobs within 6 months of the failure date. If you are an external candidate, no one will tell you that you failed and you will have receive no communications from MD Anderson at all.
Since these events have occurred, we are expressing our concern for this obviously flawed screening test to HR and all of our direct superiors.
Good luck getting into Anderson.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

ariel1 in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

I worked for MD Anderson for a few years. At that time there was no personality test. I recently applied for a position there and was required to take a test. Like any psychmetric test, people will try to answer it the way the think they should. I don't know what evidence they have that those tests accurately test the qualities they seek.

During my years there, I found that some departments were better than others. Also, you will see directors/managers in positions for a long time and holding on as tight as they can not to lose them. If that means throwing everyone else under the bus, so be it. If your resume is good, it will pass the HR screen. If it's too good, depending on the department, the director/manager may feel threatened and you won't get a call . . . but that's probably how it is everywhere.

Remember that HR employees are human and their allegience is to themselves and keeping their own jobs, not getting you a job. If you look risky in anyway, you're not getting past the front door.

anonymous in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Anon in Houston, Texas said: ...The lab member failed the test also, but was told by HR that they could take some customer service training to ameliorate the failure and then be eligible for the job change again. This lab member has an excellent track record, good relationships with people in the lab and in other labs, and does good work. This represents a double standard by Anderson.
If you fail the HR personality test, you are not eligible to apply or be considered for any other jobs within 6 months of the failure date. If you are an external candidate, no one will tell you that you failed and you will have receive no communications from MD Anderson at all.
Since these events have occurred, we are expressing our concern for this obviously flawed screening test to HR and all of our direct superiors.
Good luck getting into Anderson.

God bless you! I figured I failed the test because of a question about how many times I'd been "laid off OR fired". Since I used to be a contractor, I'd been laid off at least "3 or more". Given what I've read, looks like I dodged a bullet, anyhow!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

WORSTJOBEVERmda in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

Curious in Houston, Texas said: This question is for anyone who worked at MDA and quit or dislikes working their very much.

I understand the deal about the politics (that's on every job) but what made you dislike working there besides that?

It was beyond politics. I worked in the dept of head and neck surgery. i quit after 2 yrs. the first 6 months were ok. then you found out how it really was. i was an assistant to 3 upper level surgeons. as if the surgeon's personalities weren't enough-- i expect surgeons to be hard to deal with, the administration was awful. 3 people with no children. i was once asked if i had a friend that could help me with my child when i needed to leave early to pick her up when she was ill. i was asked to bring proof of a parent teacher conference. there were many innapropriate instances regarding caring for my family. i was expected to clean out a (disgusting)refrigerator that i did not use and when i refused i was written up. lastly, the processes are archaic an the bureacracy completely crippling. there are so many things wrong with that place. the admin jobs are great for someone who barely finished highschool and can't aspire to anything more. the benefits were great. the retirement plan is good as well, and if that's what you are looking for, and you don't mind being treated like a maid -- then go for it. oh and they do not pay for parking ($100 or more a month) and the comute is horrific. hope that helped.

anonymous in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

I've been applying many times to MDA but have been getting deferred because I did not pass the behavior assessment. I have taken the test twice- the second time taking more time and being extremely careful with my answer choices. Does anyone have any advice as to how to best tackle the assessment? Thanks for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

latiquaoneal in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Dora said: To be honest with you, MD Anderson has called me lots of times,and I've had a good resume, and passed the exam they offer to get in, their's about 21 positions in the Pharmacy so I just have to wait, to get a response! Just make your resume interesting!

Hi Rhonda good information, do you have a example of good resume without your personal information. I have been applying and applying and always get an email talking about other candidates that closely match.

ccataldo25 in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

I have to admit MDACC is a great place to work if you have no skills or ambition and just just need a paycheck to survive. If this is you this is a great place. The benefits are good and you can get away with doing very little with no consequences. If you have higher career goals you will not last more than a few years. They seem to hire and promote people without the qualifications and the more qualified people tend to have to pick -up the slack. I would recommend for a short period but I would have an escape plan if you get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

erin_girl in Edmond, Oklahoma

34 months ago

So, I have applied to MD Anderson...3 weeks, almost 1 month has gone by. My resume still says it is under review or that I have applied...yet the position is no longer open! When are they going to contact me? I would think by now they know who they are interviewing...So are they just waiting until the interviewed accept to tell me I was not accepted?

On top of this, MD Anderson won't give any information on the phone as to the status of your application! So frustrated and confused! Any comments would be helpful!

Thanks!!!

Elizabeth in Galveston, Texas

32 months ago

Can anyone confirm if MD Anderson calls your current employer? I think I have a great shot at an interview, (already had the phone one with a recruiter) But if they call my job I have now I am sure they will say something bad against me and ruin my chances.

Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

What types of drug screens do they do for employment for research jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Admin Assistant in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

Curious in Houston, Texas said: This question is for anyone who worked at MDA and quit or dislikes working their very much.

Admin Assistant

This definitely the WORST EMPLOYER I have ever worked for. The management is unprofessional, abusive and evil. There is no mobility. I have seen the ugliest in human behavior. They plot against people and will lie, cheat and steal to divert attention away from their own under-qualifications. HR will not hold anybody accountable. They cover each other in order to secure their positions. They will go to the extent of setting you up, sabotage and harassment.

You definitely will search for god while working here.

ccataldo25 in San Francisco, California

21 months ago

I have to laugh at these comments admin Assistant in Houston. I worked for MDACC for almost 3 years and it was a miserable experience. I have had plenty of jobs but this one was the worst for me. Completely unprofessional. It was annoying to work all day while your coworkers shopped for shoes and took 2 hour lunches and no one did anything. People will put you down and tell you that you do not have the right kind of experience to discourage promotions. I sat for 18 months doing the job of 2 people while the other just sat there and texted and did personal stuff. i complained several times and nothing was done. Fortunately I was able to leave and get into a better situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Admin Assistant in Houston, Texas

21 months ago

ccataldo25, you describe exactly what I experienced working at MDA. To your knowledge is the management all this unprofessional or did we run in to the same people?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ccataldo25 in San Francisco, California

21 months ago

Maybe we did. Difficult to say though. It seems like the dumber you are the larger promotion you receive. I am not sure if it all like this but my husband worked in 3 different departments in 4 years and they were all pretty bad. Unprofessional people lying backstabbing. You just get used to it. Glad to say my new work environment is much different. Great hospital. Bad work environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.