Macy's West Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Macy's West?

What do you like best about working at Macy's West? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

hank tank in San Lorenzo, California

87 months ago

ill repost this from another thread i posted it in about the pay...

Just gonna give my knowledge of when I worked there a few years ago...

If you were working a non-commissioned position at macy's you were usually paid $7-9/hour and the only way to move up in pay was to ask for a raise (rarely given), go into managment, or transfer to a commssioned position.

The only commissioned positions at my macy's store were for cosmetics, shoes, furniture, jewelry, and toiletries (perfumes/colognes, etc). I had only worked in the shoe department and the pay for me was $7/hour + commission which was 9% from shoes and about 2-3% for everything else. This is where the pay varies.. I was an aggressive sales person so my hourly was around $12/hour while around the holidays (November-January) i was making around $15/hour. If you werent aggressive you only made the base pay. Also, don't get discouraged about the low base pay because the way macy's does commission, a lower base pay makes it easier to get a bigger commission check. This is because macy's expect you to sell (commission wise) what they are paying you an hour and anything extra after that is your commission. Heres an example, Lets say I am scheduled to work 30 hours this week so $7 x 30 hours = $210 base pay. You would have to sell around $2330 worth of shoes that week to make your base pay $2330 x 9% = roughly $210. Once you sell Anything after the $2330 that is now the commission you keep. So your paycheck for that week will be the $210 + the commission of sales over $2330 and thats up to you on how much you want to make. Your managers will also get on ur ass about selling the macy's credit line as well as they have a quota to keep but everyone who opens one or tries to (commssioned and non-commissioned) gets paid around $3-6 right from the register which is great for lunch =P. Man, i went all technical and stuff sorry, but all in all its a good temp job and I was actually thinking of going back just for the

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (214) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

baebiip in Tacoma, Washington

56 months ago

I was just wondering when do you actually get paid commission? Like, is it suppose to just be on you weekly check or is there a certain amount of time you have to wait?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

bugsy11 in Camas, Washington

38 months ago

baebiip in Tacoma, Washington said: I was just wondering when do you actually get paid commission? Like, is it suppose to just be on you weekly check or is there a certain amount of time you have to wait?

paychecks are handed out weekly but for commission it is every twp weeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

allen in Los Angeles, California

24 months ago

Don't waste your time selling shoes at Macy's. At least at the Westside Pavillion in Los Angeles. On a holiday period from Nov-early Jan, I sold $10,000. in women's shoes & accessories. My biggest take home commission check?? $40.00!! They systematically cheat you out of commissions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

kris in Vancouver, Washington

15 months ago

baebiip in Tacoma, Washington said: I was just wondering when do you actually get paid commission? Like, is it suppose to just be on you weekly check or is there a certain amount of time you have to wait?

I know this is way late for a reply.. but we get our comission on every paycheck.. so every week! If you can be agressive as far as competeing for sales with your co workers' you can actually make a lot of money! My average hourly pay is about $15.60 a hour and I work 35-40 hours.. During the hollidays i average around $25 a hour' sometimes a little more... But you really work your ass off and you have to be out on the sales floor and grab those customers! You kind of have to be a shark to make the good $

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

teresar

3 months ago

Does Macy's pay weekly or bi-weekly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

wildwood ben in Montclair, New Jersey

21 days ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Macy's West?

What do you like best about working at Macy's West? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

I work in a small store, shoes pays 1%, far less than traditional in retail shoes, for decades now. Some stores pay more, 5-9% variable by brand and price point. FinishLine the sneaker vendor pays 2% by contract to Macys but not at smaller stores, Macys reduces it to 1%. At low hourly rates, such as state minimum wages now $8.25 hour, a traditional shoe job would have no problem making the draw. The comm becomes a driving force and cut throat behavior is common. But fairness prevails also. You take turns, or you ring your own sales, preventing someone stealing your sale. You cannot control the number of people on the floor, which makjes a difference in opportunities for customer. But in a traditional shoe operation, 10% on women's in Nov-Jan, $10,000 sales a week, and $1000 a week in comm should be possible. But at $9.30 hour and 1%, the comm is $100 and the pay for 40 hours is $372 + 100 = $472, a big difference. Also, you will not get 40 hours a week, and you will not sell $10,000 a week in shoes although it is possible. You will be ringing clothes at no comm. Sales per hour (SPH) is the metric used by most retailers. At traditional comm rates, that should be $15-22 per hour but not at Macys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.