$300 Background Checks??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Unemployed2010Grad in Kingston, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

I'm well aware that temp agencies post fake clerical ads at times to lure you in for different positions but I applied nonetheless since the bills are really starting to pile up. Anyways, I receive a call about a packaging position instead and was asked to come in for tests/interview. After successfully completing all the tests FIRST before being told exactly what the position would entail I decided the next day that going from office work to factory work just isn't for me, physically I don't think I'm up for it.

So, doing what I think is the polite thing, I called the next morning advising that I decided not to move forward for that position. The lady on the phone was trying to guilt trip me saying they already submitted for a background check and that it costs them $300. There was a moment of silence on the line before I stated that I wished to continue looking for jobs that I have at least some experience with.

Is the amount true? Anyone else ever hear that while working with them. If Manpower is a dishonest agency then I will not have anything else to do with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sighing in Southern, New Jersey

35 months ago

I don't have experience with Manpower, but I have heard background checks can be very costly. I can believe the 300, BUT I do not think they started a check on you that quickly. You did not accept the job! If you had done so, then you would have had to sign for the background check (unless you did that when you filled out papers for them).

The woman was most likely trying to fill that job, and trying to guilt you into taking it. That is my humble opinion.

I don't blame you for not taking it by the way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

m325412 in Oakland, California

35 months ago

What I've seen online is that background checks start around $40 and maybe more depending on how much information the requester wants. As far as the temp agencies go, they all post positions that don't exist or have already been filled. Recruiters are sales people and are just trying to get people in to meet their monthly quotas and hopefully get paid a commission if they place you. I've heard this more than once, that 90-95% of the jobs posted on the internet are already filled or didn't exist in the first place. Have you ever noticed how most of the jobs posted out there lately are from agencies? And they continue to post the same and similar positions on a regular basis. With all the people who are unemployed right now I find it very hard to believe that these positions can't be filled. I refuse to deal with recruiters because they are a waste of time and all use the same practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed2010Grad in Kingston, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Thanks everyone! I didn't accept the job so she was pretty hard pressed to guilt trip me but I still wanted to ask to make sure. Since I graduated last May (was looking for work long before then) I've noticed certain jobs are constantly being posted. Some were for places with high turn over rates but the majority of them are for temp agencies.
With the new month approaching I plan on digging deeper in my searches and pounding the pavement to find real opportunities to pursue. Best of luck for all that are struggling, its tough but gotta stay strong!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.