MANPOWER - Ads for JOBS that DO NOT EXIST !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Anonymous, Connecticut in Meriden, Connecticut

92 months ago

I have spoken with the Manpower Recruiter a number of times over last two months ... I initially responded to an ad for an Experienced Executive Assistant. I industry and skill qualified with many years of experience! The recruiter contacted me, tested me, agreed that I was qualified and supposedly submitted my resume. I have waited and called - waited and called - nothing! This AD - two months later is still appearing on the job boards. I have contacted the Recruiter so many times, inquiring about my application, that the Recruiter finally admitted that this job is posted just to get people in the door! There is NO JOB! Personally I think this is BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE !!!! and hugely MISLEADING!!!! I spend hour upon hour EVERY day on the job boards looking for a job, submitting applications and sending emails, making phone calls and I feel this practice is TOTALLY UNETHICAL. I wonder how many other agencies are doing the same thing??? I wonder how many hours are wasted by all of us applying for positions that don't exist???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

James Kirk in San Diego, California

92 months ago

ManpowerLess; the Burger King of employment agencies/recruiting firms. Get 'em in, get 'em out, gotta pad that contact database the next time they deluge a client with "prospective" candidates. Would you like fries with that?

BTW, folks, it's the philosophy and business practices being criticized, not the people that enforce said philosophies and practices. No one single individual is being called out here...

Back to work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

to-a-"t"

92 months ago

BEWARE everyone!!! These temp/job agencies rampantly list non-existent jobs on-line and in the paper as a common practice to drum up business. You answer the ad for what sounds like a great job but it truly doesn't exist. And once you're on the phone or in the door, they gotcha! Years and years ago when I first started out I was so desperate for a job that I went to an agency. Fresh out of high school and VERY wet behind the ears I was eager to take a job that I worked so hard to do. The agency gave me a typing test and I was so nervous I knew I did horribly. But guess what? The recruiter told me I did something like 90 wpm with 100% accuracy! I knew that was a load of bull. I went along with it anyway and foolishly signed a contract. They sent me to several interviews they knew I was no way near qualified for trying to sell me to the highest bidder. I ended up with a job paying the highest salary they could get (one of the first things they tell you when you go on the interviews is to let them handle salary negotiations). I felt like I was being "pimped" as they say today. The more they get for you, the more they get for themselves. In the end I was fired from the job they got me because I wasn't a good fit. The employer felt sorry for me because I was young and inexperienced and offered to absorb the fee. I was lucky. Be very careful about using these agencies when looking for a job. Know up front and in writting what your rights are especially if they require any money from either you or the hiring employer. It is very possible that if there is a fee involved somewhere and if the job doesn't work out you will be the one responsible for paying for that job anyway (and with no job you'll be up the proverbial creek...!). I say... Get the job yourself and GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Priscilla in Rochester, New York

92 months ago

I agree on what you have stated about wasting time on
finding a job that knows only to hired.These employers
submit online a job and somestimes you will not get hired.I apply for a Janitor position and I submitted a
coverletter and a resume to the New York State Department
of Labor and they sent a form in which call this number
to apply and nothing happen.It seem that the company was located out of state even though the job positionwas located in Henreitta,NY and I even contacted MCC and it was even them. To me if a employer is going to directly
hired someone to work don't submitt any to the
American job bank or those employment agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MP in Foley, Alabama

92 months ago

Anonymous, Connecticut said: I have spoken with the Manpower Recruiter a number of times over last two months ... I initially responded to an ad for an Experienced Executive Assistant. I industry and skill qualified with many years of experience! The recruiter contacted me, tested me, agreed that I was qualified and supposedly submitted my resume. I have waited and called - waited and called - nothing! This AD - two months later is still appearing on the job boards. I have contacted the Recruiter so many times, inquiring about my application, that the Recruiter finally admitted that this job is posted just to get people in the door! There is NO JOB! Personally I think this is BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE !!!! and hugely MISLEADING!!!! I spend hour upon hour EVERY day on the job boards looking for a job, submitting applications and sending emails, making phone calls and I feel this practice is TOTALLY UNETHICAL. I wonder how many other agencies are doing the same thing??? I wonder how many hours are wasted by all of us applying for positions that don't exist???

I also spend hours and hours on these job boards and I have actually had 2 recruiters admit that certain ads were lead ads. So my answer is, at least for myself, is that I dont apply for a job unless I or the job board is sending them an email directly. I have recruiters call me about a job that I didnt apply for and I blow them off because they sound like they are simply collecting resumes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lori Buschkowsky

92 months ago

Anonymous, Connecticut said: I have spoken with the Manpower Recruiter a number of times over last two months ... I initially responded to an ad for an Experienced Executive Assistant. I industry and skill qualified with many years of experience! The recruiter contacted me, tested me, agreed that I was qualified and supposedly submitted my resume. I have waited and called - waited and called - nothing! This AD - two months later is still appearing on the job boards. I have contacted the Recruiter so many times, inquiring about my application, that the Recruiter finally admitted that this job is posted just to get people in the door! There is NO JOB! Personally I think this is BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE !!!! and hugely MISLEADING!!!! I spend hour upon hour EVERY day on the job boards looking for a job, submitting applications and sending emails, making phone calls and I feel this practice is TOTALLY UNETHICAL. I wonder how many other agencies are doing the same thing??? I wonder how many hours are wasted by all of us applying for positions that don't exist???

They all do that.. It is so ridiculous.. I just simply hate them all as they are nothing what they used to be...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Richmond, Virginia

92 months ago

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU! I HAVE LEARNED THAT ABOUT MOST TEMPORARY AGENCIES. THEY POST POSITIONS FOR PERSONS TO APPLY AND THEY RECRUIT YOU TO COME IN TO MEET THEIR QUOTA. I HAVE APPLIED FOR JOBS AND RECEIVED THE SAME SERVICE AS YOU. I APPLY DIRECTLY FOR JOBS AND GET BETTER RESULTS! IT IS HORRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICE AND SETS A BAD EXAMPLE!!! I DON'T RELY ON AGENCIES FOR ANYTHING AND VERY RARELY RETURN THEIR CALLS IF THEY ARE RECRUITING ME. WHY IS THIS TYPE OF BUSINESS ALLOWED?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

F.P. Perez in Terre Haute, Indiana

90 months ago

Having had the same experience with various divisions of Aerotek, located in Denver, CO, I am of the opinion that there is something unethical or unscrupulous going on within that organization as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Indianapolis

90 months ago

Manpower sucks! They dont do jack for no body.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous

90 months ago

Wow, you are absolutely right regarding jobs that are posted that do not exist. There was another website I would go on, and the jobs would never change! It is extremely frustrating, and I thank you for your information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

I wouldn't waste my time with ManPower. If I was starving and living in a cardboard box and eating at the soup kitchen at least there is consistancy. Manpower what a waste of time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Skeptical in Littleton, Colorado

89 months ago

Recruiters are job salesmen or saleswomen for non-existent positions.
They should be selling cars not trying to find positions for true professionals. The main reason for recruiters is companies do not want to hire FULL time employees anymore..They bring in talented people to accomplish tasks that no one else can do within there company already...Then they discard the talented employee like garbage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bait and Switch! in Saint Amant, Louisiana

86 months ago

I totally agree with above comments, I have tried to gain employment thru 3 different agencies. I have tons of exp., recent grad. of college w/ Microsoft Certification. I have taken all their skill tests and stupid personality quizes with great scores on all. Still nothing...I call them and get the run around, they never return my calls unless it's for some bs temp job paying min. wage for maybe 2 days. When I ask what is the deal with the jobs listed, I hear..."They wen't cold on us", "These things take time" blah blah blah. I swore these agencies off and out of desperation I fell for another stupid "bait" ad posted. Most employers that use these snakes just want to screw you over when their project is finished or string you along knowing they will NEVER hire you fulltime perm. no matter how hard you work. They ALL suck and I don't know of anyone that has had any success with any of them and Manpower is the biggest JOKE of all!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Grey_Grace in Vero Beach, Florida

86 months ago

Do you think Manpower has been in business since 1948 by posting faux ads? A scam? I bet you did not know that many ads posted on Monster, CareerBuilder, and several other major recruiting websites are an outsourcing service they provide their clients. The resumes received in response to the ad are directly forwarded via email to the Manpower client, who will screen and call you. Don't assume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

aasha in Madras, India

33 months ago

Anonymous, Connecticut in Meriden, Connecticut said: I have spoken with the Manpower Recruiter a number of times over last two months ... I initially responded to an ad for an Experienced Executive Assistant. I industry and skill qualified with many years of experience! The recruiter contacted me, tested me, agreed that I was qualified and supposedly submitted my resume. I have waited and called - waited and called - nothing! This AD - two months later is still appearing on the job boards. I have contacted the Recruiter so many times, inquiring about my application, that the Recruiter finally admitted that this job is posted just to get people in the door! There is NO JOB! Personally I think this is BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE !!!! and hugely MISLEADING!!!! I spend hour upon hour EVERY day on the job boards looking for a job, submitting applications and sending emails, making phone calls and I feel this practice is TOTALLY UNETHICAL. I wonder how many other agencies are doing the same thing??? I wonder how many hours are wasted by all of us applying for positions that don't exist???

dont mistake all consultants........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in London, United Kingdom

24 months ago

I work for a recruitment agency and have just searched for this problem, as we are getting calls from people who have seen a vacancy on indeed and want to apply.

The only problem being the job has not been available for months!

We have never asked for our vacancies to be put on this website, and have removed them from our website months ago.

Indeed must just find the job vacancy on our website and keep it advertised indefinitely, when it's not even available.

So before you blame the agency, just consider there may be another side to the argument.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fight For Your Rights in Chino Hills, California

4 months ago

This company is AWFUL!! Stay away from them and any other temp agency if possible. If you stand up for your rights and you know what they are doing is against the law and point it out to them, you will be terminated from the job position. These people are heartless and only look out for themselves aka their commission, the money they make off of you. They post fake ads on the internet and newspaper just to build up their database, don't be fooled.

I called them out on them giving everyone a pay cut and they said they were going to make the change retroactive, well that's against the law, once the fact was brought to the managers attention, the story on their end changed and my assignment ended with a "don't call us call the other offices" attitude. 2 months later, still no job and no income at all, didn't qualify for unemployment benefits because the assignment was too short.

Don't fall for the smiling faces and the lies, because that's all they are good for.
I hope they all rot in Hell!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Replogle in Hudson, Ohio

3 months ago

The function of employment agencies is to find QUALIFIED candidates for the clients who compensate the agencies for their efforts. That being said, the agencies NEED you to make money. If they are avoiding you, it is not malicious. Comprehending this is vital for those like the last post. They have no obligations to the job seeker but do NEED you. Act professionally and share what your expectations are. When a position becomes available that you are a fit for, there are likely to be several others qualified as well and you will more likely be at the top of the call list if you have been professional and clear on your expectations. Otherwise, you may fall into the same trap as the guy above. Well, NO- that would require absolute ignorance and an abandonment of personal accountability. Create positive relationships with as many agencies as is healthy for your situation and it will likely have positive results.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fight For Your Rights in California

3 months ago

Jim Replogle in Hudson, Ohio said: The function of employment agencies is to find QUALIFIED candidates for the clients who compensate the agencies for their efforts. That being said, the agencies NEED you to make money. If they are avoiding you, it is not malicious. Comprehending this is vital for those like the last post. They have no obligations to the job seeker but do NEED you. Act professionally and share what your expectations are. When a position becomes available that you are a fit for, there are likely to be several others qualified as well and you will more likely be at the top of the call list if you have been professional and clear on your expectations. Otherwise, you may fall into the same trap as the guy above. Well, NO- that would require absolute ignorance and an abandonment of personal accountability. Create positive relationships with as many agencies as is healthy for your situation and it will likely have positive results.

Spoken like a true recruiter. NO Thanks.
I am not alone in being ignored / black listed by agencies.
I know the facts of my case. Anytime you point something is illegal to a company they automatically stop referring you out on jobs.
Being "fit and qualified" for a position has never been a problem for me.
The worker at manpower even admitted to receiving my weekly emails and phone calls but continued to pass me over.

The agencies in Ohio may not be Malicious but here in So. Ca. they Are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.