Getting out of a massage envy membership

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 66 of 66)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

lilravven in Owatonna, Minnesota

47 months ago

Ex employee of Massage Envy in Sarasota, Florida said: I have been in management for 3 years so I in fact DO know what I'm talking about. Also, this is advice for the thousands of people who are not happy with Massage Envy and want out of their membership. This is NOT for people who looooove their ME...NANCY. There are sites for that so go there...no one here is going to value your opinion.
Legally, they have to cancel your membership if you present a drs. note ( which is the easiest) They can't call and ask about the legitimacy either...against the law! and then there is making a fake utility bill. ( just choose a real one and copy their logo and make it look real) We all know how hard it is to get a hold of a human in those companies too so they will "cut their losses" and move on. Like I said earlier...80% ( and thats me being generous) will not send you to collections. Corporate just said in June at the last corporate meeting that we should not be sending people to collections because it sets a bad image. They will try to call you for 3 months and then move on...thats the policy that I followed for 3 years. Yes I am an angry ex employee for reasons I could write a book on but that doesn't take away from the fact that so many people are angry with the "policies" of ME and want out of their "binding" contract. I am here to free you from that. :)
Massage Envy isnt like a phone bill, or a car loan...its massage and you CAN get out of it.

And you call M.E.criminals. You just told everyone that it is ok to break the law. A contract is a legal and binding thing. This forum is for discussion not just your criminal behavior. Nancy has every right to say what she thinks. If people keep bringing in phony dr.s notes it is ME's right to change their contract and not have that part in there at all. It is done as a courtesy not a legal right. That goes for people moving as well. They don't have to have those allowances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee/ Current Member in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

47 months ago

Lol, ok billy bob! I bet you believe in conspiracy theories and things of that nature. I'm sure everything is a scam unless you are personally benefiting from it right? And last time I checked a blog is a common place where and response to a thread can be posted....seems to me that their are plenty more people who love massage envy than hate it because they are doing great business wise. It's hard to believe that if a business was morally corrupt as you say it is that they would still be operating at such a high success rate......check your facts. I'm sure you will check it out, maybe copy and paste what facts benefit your argument and post them back on this blog. And for calling me a SOB? You sound like managerial material....I'm sure you DID "quit". Haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cea in Aurora, Colorado

42 months ago

i received a free massage to massage envy for christmas and was elated. went in and was told i was paired up with someone i'd "really love" and went on to my massage. during my hour, the man that was massaging me was making some really passive comments about my body that were complimentary in nature but definitely not appropriate given i was only in my underwear under a sheet in a room with him. after the massage he asked to give me a hug. i felt weird about it after the massage, but thought that maybe it was just a first time thing, that he was overly nice and just an eccentric person. i signed up for a membership because i need them for my overall health. when i returned for my second massage, i was paired up with the same guy. same thing happened except his energy was really awkward and i felt very uncomfortable by the end of the massage. again, he asked to give me a hug and then sneakily slipped me his personal number. the more i thought about it and the more people i talked to the more i felt i was being sexually assaulted, although minor, but no one should be made to feel this way in a professional setting ever. i called to complain about the issue and those i had talked to agreed that it was totally inappropriate what had happened and that they were going to do something. i have had to call them and pester them about the issue for the past month and a half. everytime i call, i have to re-explain who i am and then i'm told that they credited my account with a free massage, the man no longer works there, yada yada, like it's an excuse for what happened and i should just get over it. i don't want to get over it, i want my membership cancelled completely. i do not feel comfortable being touched by any stranger, yet alone another therapist at their salon. finally today (after being dodged all day) i got ahold of the administrative manager and she told me there's nothing she could do.
so i just left a message with their corporate legal rep. wish me luck i guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

disgruntled in Las Vegas, Nevada

41 months ago

I originally signed up for a one year contract with ME and was very happy with the terms of the contract. I was under the belief that the contract would just be month to month after the original contract had expired. I changed credit cards and stopped getting massages in December. ME called and I told them I wanted to cancel in January. They said ok, and I hadn't heard from them again until I grabbed my mail today and saw a bill for $300! I called and was told that I needed to fill out a cancellation notice. They wouldn't allow me to cancel unless I paid 2 months worth of dues. What are my options? Am I still under a contract? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Belencita in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

I have skin clinic i go to regularly. When i saw the $49.99 facial ad at massage envy i thought i can alternate my facial with the other clinic (complete facial and peel cost$250, saving me $200 every other month) So...I have no qualms with massage envy, I accepted their contract and I'm fine with it. I thought if I prepaid my visits I will intentionally want to make it to the appointment and somehow help myself take care of my face. The problem is...a day after my initial facial with them, aside from the huge bumps i got from the extraction of blackheads my whole face swelled up and was reddish for few days. I didn't thought of it that much especially since that it got better after a week. When I returned to my other skin clinic (a week after massage envy) they mentioned that I have so much breakouts than usual. So they recommended changing my pillow cases more often and switching to baby shampoo. Did all they recommended. After a month, massage envy called me so I can make an appointment. I declined to make one because I just couldn't commit to an appointment yet. The reactions i got from the first appointment didn't even cross my mind. They just reminded me that I have 1 visit that is already prepaid and that was fine by me. Another month rolled and now I have 2 prepaid visits unused. When they called me to make an appointment i ask if they can freeze my account since i will be out of the country for a 45 days. But did mentioned that i maybe allergic to the products they used on me last time. But i told them i will deal with it when i get back from my trip. When I got back, i went to see my regular skin clinic since its been so long and i really needed their complete facial with all the extra stuff coz my face was not at the ideal state at all. During my treatment they notice all the irregularities and recommend that i come every 2 weeks instead of every month - because of unusually so much breakouts still. That's when it finally dawned to me that I was allerg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Belencita in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

allergic to MURAD. Why? because all that time that I was out of the county the only product i used was the MURAD Acne complex kit (travel size) i bought at massage envy on my first visit. Now ive confirmed it. When I told them why I need to cancel the contract they said they I need a doctors note. Yeah right let me apply that stuff get the reaction get a drs.appt. pay the visit and get a note.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

spirithawk111 in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

please read my new post titled attention!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lala in Houston, Texas

30 months ago

I made the mistake of signing the contract and not reading it. I also thought my boyfriend was going to pay for it every month. He put the first two months on his credit card then lost his job, so now I'm screwed. It has been over 10 months now and I want to pay what I owe, but I want to know if I pay will I stil get my massages????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BaconBits in Chino, California

28 months ago

Aislinn in Boynton Beach, Florida said: So...how is this any different than all the cell phone companies out there or any membership that you typically sign up for?

Cell phone companies are giving you a piece of hardware worth more money than what you have paid them at contract signing then recouping the cost in the monthly payments for service. Early termination fees help to cover the cost of the phone which you are allowed to keep. HUGE DIFFERENCE TO WHAT THIS SHADY COMPANY PRACTICES!

I've lost my income within 20 days of signing a 12 month contract and the manager will not dissolve the contract instead will "freeze" it for 90 days or reduce it to a 6 month contract and freeze it for 60 days. I was out of work for a year last time before I was lucky enough to find another job. So IMO I'm now being extorted into paying for a service I no longer can afford or wish to use. I was polite asking for the cancellation explaining my position but the manager didn't seem to care offering a seemingly scripted response that she can't cancel it because the computer won't allow it. So now my options are to pay, which I can't, or not pay and have my credit rating affected due to non payments.

The Massage Envy contract makes a mockery of valid companies need for a contract. The contracts intent is to offer services at reduced pricing and lock in those prices for a set period much like Verizon or AT&T home service. Yet unlike a true reputable company offers no early termination and instead requires you to move to an area where no ME exists or have a medical excuse. SHAAAADY!

BaconBits in Chino, California

28 months ago

BaconBits in Chino, California said: Cell phone companies are giving you a piece of hardware worth more money than what you have paid them at contract signing then recouping the cost in the monthly payments for service. Early termination fees help to cover the cost of the phone which you are allowed to keep. HUGE DIFFERENCE TO WHAT THIS SHADY COMPANY PRACTICES!

I've lost my income within 20 days of signing a 12 month contract and the manager will not dissolve the contract instead will "freeze" it for 90 days or reduce it to a 6 month contract and freeze it for 60 days. I was out of work for a year last time before I was lucky enough to find another job. So IMO I'm now being extorted into paying for a service I no longer can afford or wish to use. I was polite asking for the cancellation explaining my position but the manager didn't seem to care offering a seemingly scripted response that she can't cancel it because the computer won't allow it. So now my options are to pay, which I can't, or not pay and have my credit rating affected due to non payments.

The Massage Envy contract makes a mockery of valid companies need for a contract. The contracts intent is to offer services at reduced pricing and lock in those prices for a set period much like Verizon or AT&T home service. Yet unlike a true reputable company offers no early termination and instead requires you to move to an area where no ME exists or have a medical excuse. SHAAAADY!

So social media wins out.. Posted the following to their Facebook page

"BUYER BEWARE:
Locked into a 12 month with option to freeze for 90 days or 6 month with option to freeze for 60 days contract within 20 days even though I lost my income. I can't think of one company that doesn't allow you to terminate a contract within 30 days. Therapists may be nice but the management, not so much. Thanks ME! <3"

and ME would no longer like to continue doing business with me.

Michelle in Florida

17 months ago

I just had my first massage at massage envy. It was average, nothing great. I ALMOST signed a contract. She did her whole sales pitch and handed me the pen. I told her I needed to read the contract first. She continues explaining what is says (not accurately) as im reading. Then as soon as i start asking questions about thier cancellation policy (which states your contract can ONLY be terminated by moving atleast 25 miles from ANY location or a physician letter stating you are medically unable to recieve massages) another employee jumps into the conversation insisting they do not stick to that policy. She said the owner is reasonable and if you're not happy you can cancel. Well then why is it in the contract??? They will tell you anything to get you to sign, which means absolutely nothing once you sign that contract. Read before you sign anything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Florida

17 months ago

Your massage envy may not me like the rest but my experience was employees trying to mislead me about the terms of the contract. When i asked questions about the cancellation policy they insisted that they do not hold to that policy. I am aware that what they SAY means nothing when you sign a contract. I would not do business with a company that either has no idea what they are talking about or is intentionally trying to mislead customers.

Jim in Greensboro, North Carolina

16 months ago

Michelle in Florida said: Your massage envy may not me like the rest but my experience was employees trying to mislead me about the terms of the contract . When i asked questions about the cancellation policy they insisted that they do not hold to that policy. I am aware that what they SAY means nothing when you sign a contract. I would not do business with a company that either has no idea what they are talking about or is intentionally trying to mislead customers.

Michelle, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your ME clinic. Coming from the view point of an employee, we are trained to say and do almost anything to get you to sign up for our membership. However, we are also trained not to contradict the agreement- that's one thing we absolutely can not mess with.

Going forward if you want to sign the agreement and they tell you bogus stuff (e.g. the cancellation policy), please take note of the date, time, and the sales associate that signed you up. If you ever need to cancel and want to go by what the sales associate said, you can have them pull up the security camera footage (every ME is required to have a camera and microphone behind the front desk). At that point, it is proven the S.A. is an idiot and told you false things. Don't let them use the excuse that the footage was deleted because they are legally required to keep it for x amount of time (longer than a year, which is the our longest membership agreement).

Again, I'm sorry you had that kind of experience with you S.A. at ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lmbt in Lincolnton, North Carolina

11 months ago

There are quite a few people who have stated throughout this thread that a contract is a legal binding agreement and so on. This is true, however, I have never seen a contract that did not have any kind of exit clause. The stipulations on the exit clauses for ME are a bit ridiculous. People will experience changes in economic situations for a broad range of reasons. There are no options in place for someone who loses their job or has a sudden unexpected monthly expense added to their budget. I think that ME would get a lot less flack and bad publicity if they were to be more accommodating when client, like myself, need to terminate the contract due to inability to pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Minnesota

10 months ago

I would like advise on cancelling my membership with Massage Envy. I contacted the Massage Envy I signed the contract with before the 30 days was up and requested to cancel my membership. I explained to the person that I spoke with that I am not able to pay for the membership and I need to cancel it. I was told that I have to keep and pay for the membership for 12 months and if I do not I would be reported to the credit bureau for nonpayment of debt. I was also told that the membership can be put on hold but only once and after the first payment is made to the membership. I explained again that I am not able to afford the membership and asked that it be cancelled. The part about the management team that was frustrating is that in their opinion is that if you did not want the membership you should not have signed the contract.
I attended Massage Envy twice and did not like the service that I received either times. I was kept waiting at least 10 minutes before the massage began (after my appointment started) and the massage ended at least 15 minutes before the hour slot was up on both visits. Therefore for both massages I paid for a 60 minute massage but only received a 35 minute massage. Also, I was also not able to use the membership either time because it had not been paid even though the contract was signed. At this time, I have paid for a few massages but am not planning to go back to any Massage Envy. I also tried to give the massages away but no one would take them because you need to register at Massage Envy.
When Massage Envy tries to withdraw the funds to pay for the membership they try at least 3 to 5 times per day which is causing me quite a bit because of the NSF fee for each time they try to withdraw the funds. I also get a call every time and I explain every time that I would like to cancel the membership because I am not able to afford that membership. I am still being told that I have to pay for the massages even though I will not use them.

Miss Brittany in Las Vegas, Nevada

10 months ago

OMG - Happy to see Im not the only one railroaded by this company. They never can take my appointment when I want to make one. I travel a ton. Have like 6 massages paid for that Ill never find the time to use. I tried to put it on hold before I left the country to get surgery. Never got the forms emailed to me as promised. I get back try again and they tell me they cant do a massage on me with out a drs note. My dr is in Colombia. Hes not sending notes to ME. Ive tried over and over to cancel this. Ive never even used it since I was pressured into signing up for it. Ive paid close to $400.00 to be treated like crap continually. Their policy of getting out of the contract is ridiculous. ITS MASSAGES not ATT. I hate them so much for ripping me off - Id never be able to actually go and enjoy a massage there. No Im not even allowed to get one from them cause of my surgery and they are still charging me. Im 42 and I have been ripped off more then once by various companies but this is BY FAR THE WORSE. Worse then Time Warner and thats saying allot lol By the time they are done with ripping me off for services Ive never collected or am able to collect it will be close to 1k. This should be illegal. Cant believe all for some stupid massages. I dont even like them. This whole thing has me so pissed off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.