Getting out of a massage envy membership

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 64 of 64)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

lilravven in Owatonna, Minnesota

35 months ago

I was always taught that it is best to send it with a receipt confirmation or signature required when you are dealing with any situation like that. Then you have proof that they received it and it will be worth the extra couple bucks. Also keep a copy of your letter with a signature and date on it to take in the proof. Sorry you had trouble and hope your better soon. I am a small business owner in the massage field and know the ins and outs of it all. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Very Happy Massage Envy Customer in Bluffton, South Carolina

27 months ago

So you are just a really bitter employee of one bad massage envy (if it is even a bad clinic to begin with).....but you should not however lump every massage envy into one horrible category.....I know for a fact at the ME I visit and was formerly employed at) all employees and clients are treated very well. We are very spoiled here because the owners and management go out of their way to make our jobs lucrative and enjoyable. Any massage therapist who has to have it their way should probably spend the couple of thousands of dollars to start their OWN business. BTW, we are all adults....I know that when I sign an agreement I read the entire document and make sure I am well informed as to what I am committing myself to. Maybe when you are 16 you don't have to be held to contracts, but when you sign an agreement and recieve a copy to take home even and then complain that you were "tricked" in signing it??????? That's just crazy. IDK how all Massage Envy's operate but I don't think 1 Massage Envy in America holds a gun to their clients heads and forces them to sign the agreement. I really hope you never own a business, it seems to me that you are very vengeful and mis-informed. BTW, most ME's will always work with their clients if the client does call back to speak with a manager and is sincere (not rude) and honest with them. You get more with honey than vinegar....please do not offer any more advice up to people concerning their financial affairs because you could be the person that gets this person's credit screwed up because you THINK you know how the administration process works at every Massage Envy. fact is you don't know, and it is always best to face problems head on with a good attitude....GROW UP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee/ Current Member in Pauline, South Carolina

27 months ago

Nancy? Idk who that is, you might be delusional. And you seem to be a very moral person....telling people to forge a doctor's note? Lol. And I myself was a regional manager for 6 years so I think we work for different corporate companies in that case because corporate never sent out policies that were morally corrupt. In the long run a business is a business and we are all adults who should probably read what we are signing before we SIGN AND DATE IT. you act like ME is stealing people's credit cards and forging documents. And yes dear, when you put your name and date to a document called a contract it is binding. Take a legal class or any college courses at all for that matter. What I was saying is that unless you work for corporate yourself, you don't seem to be a good source of advice to anyone when it comes to financial and contractual matters. You honestly sound like someone who would still be employed by Massage Envy had they not been fired from their job. Have a blessed day and hopefully you never have to work for such a "morally corrupt" business ever again in the future. We all know people never write on blogs to say how wonderful their experience was but rather to bash a place instead. Toodles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

billy bob in Sarasota, Florida

27 months ago

LIKE i said...you are one lucky SOB so go to another blog full of Massage envy loving people and brag about how much you love going there. Why come here, if you love it? I also was speaking to Nancy from bluffton

AND I quit because it was VERY "morally corrupt"...I'm not saying all MES are the same so good, no make that GREAT for you that you happened to have managed and worked at and now are a member of an amazing one...send in a retail eyes thanking them, make a yelp account, write corporate and tell them all about your ME, transfer your prepaids for another 10$!!!! (thats another scam..)to get them new members, tweet about it and goooo away....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lilravven in Owatonna, Minnesota

27 months ago

Ex employee of Massage Envy in Sarasota, Florida said: I have been in management for 3 years so I in fact DO know what I'm talking about. Also, this is advice for the thousands of people who are not happy with Massage Envy and want out of their membership. This is NOT for people who looooove their ME...NANCY. There are sites for that so go there...no one here is going to value your opinion.
Legally, they have to cancel your membership if you present a drs. note ( which is the easiest) They can't call and ask about the legitimacy either...against the law! and then there is making a fake utility bill. ( just choose a real one and copy their logo and make it look real) We all know how hard it is to get a hold of a human in those companies too so they will "cut their losses" and move on. Like I said earlier...80% ( and thats me being generous) will not send you to collections. Corporate just said in June at the last corporate meeting that we should not be sending people to collections because it sets a bad image. They will try to call you for 3 months and then move on...thats the policy that I followed for 3 years. Yes I am an angry ex employee for reasons I could write a book on but that doesn't take away from the fact that so many people are angry with the "policies" of ME and want out of their "binding" contract. I am here to free you from that. :)
Massage Envy isnt like a phone bill, or a car loan...its massage and you CAN get out of it.

And you call M.E.criminals. You just told everyone that it is ok to break the law. A contract is a legal and binding thing. This forum is for discussion not just your criminal behavior. Nancy has every right to say what she thinks. If people keep bringing in phony dr.s notes it is ME's right to change their contract and not have that part in there at all. It is done as a courtesy not a legal right. That goes for people moving as well. They don't have to have those allowances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee/ Current Member in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

27 months ago

Lol, ok billy bob! I bet you believe in conspiracy theories and things of that nature. I'm sure everything is a scam unless you are personally benefiting from it right? And last time I checked a blog is a common place where and response to a thread can be posted....seems to me that their are plenty more people who love massage envy than hate it because they are doing great business wise. It's hard to believe that if a business was morally corrupt as you say it is that they would still be operating at such a high success rate......check your facts. I'm sure you will check it out, maybe copy and paste what facts benefit your argument and post them back on this blog. And for calling me a SOB? You sound like managerial material....I'm sure you DID "quit". Haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cea in Aurora, Colorado

22 months ago

i received a free massage to massage envy for christmas and was elated. went in and was told i was paired up with someone i'd "really love" and went on to my massage. during my hour, the man that was massaging me was making some really passive comments about my body that were complimentary in nature but definitely not appropriate given i was only in my underwear under a sheet in a room with him. after the massage he asked to give me a hug. i felt weird about it after the massage, but thought that maybe it was just a first time thing, that he was overly nice and just an eccentric person. i signed up for a membership because i need them for my overall health. when i returned for my second massage, i was paired up with the same guy. same thing happened except his energy was really awkward and i felt very uncomfortable by the end of the massage. again, he asked to give me a hug and then sneakily slipped me his personal number. the more i thought about it and the more people i talked to the more i felt i was being sexually assaulted, although minor, but no one should be made to feel this way in a professional setting ever. i called to complain about the issue and those i had talked to agreed that it was totally inappropriate what had happened and that they were going to do something. i have had to call them and pester them about the issue for the past month and a half. everytime i call, i have to re-explain who i am and then i'm told that they credited my account with a free massage, the man no longer works there, yada yada, like it's an excuse for what happened and i should just get over it. i don't want to get over it, i want my membership cancelled completely. i do not feel comfortable being touched by any stranger, yet alone another therapist at their salon. finally today (after being dodged all day) i got ahold of the administrative manager and she told me there's nothing she could do.
so i just left a message with their corporate legal rep. wish me luck i guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

disgruntled in Las Vegas, Nevada

21 months ago

I originally signed up for a one year contract with ME and was very happy with the terms of the contract. I was under the belief that the contract would just be month to month after the original contract had expired. I changed credit cards and stopped getting massages in December. ME called and I told them I wanted to cancel in January. They said ok, and I hadn't heard from them again until I grabbed my mail today and saw a bill for $300! I called and was told that I needed to fill out a cancellation notice. They wouldn't allow me to cancel unless I paid 2 months worth of dues. What are my options? Am I still under a contract? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Belencita in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

I have skin clinic i go to regularly. When i saw the $49.99 facial ad at massage envy i thought i can alternate my facial with the other clinic (complete facial and peel cost$250, saving me $200 every other month) So...I have no qualms with massage envy, I accepted their contract and I'm fine with it. I thought if I prepaid my visits I will intentionally want to make it to the appointment and somehow help myself take care of my face. The problem is...a day after my initial facial with them, aside from the huge bumps i got from the extraction of blackheads my whole face swelled up and was reddish for few days. I didn't thought of it that much especially since that it got better after a week. When I returned to my other skin clinic (a week after massage envy) they mentioned that I have so much breakouts than usual. So they recommended changing my pillow cases more often and switching to baby shampoo. Did all they recommended. After a month, massage envy called me so I can make an appointment. I declined to make one because I just couldn't commit to an appointment yet. The reactions i got from the first appointment didn't even cross my mind. They just reminded me that I have 1 visit that is already prepaid and that was fine by me. Another month rolled and now I have 2 prepaid visits unused. When they called me to make an appointment i ask if they can freeze my account since i will be out of the country for a 45 days. But did mentioned that i maybe allergic to the products they used on me last time. But i told them i will deal with it when i get back from my trip. When I got back, i went to see my regular skin clinic since its been so long and i really needed their complete facial with all the extra stuff coz my face was not at the ideal state at all. During my treatment they notice all the irregularities and recommend that i come every 2 weeks instead of every month - because of unusually so much breakouts still. That's when it finally dawned to me that I was allerg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Belencita in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

allergic to MURAD. Why? because all that time that I was out of the county the only product i used was the MURAD Acne complex kit (travel size) i bought at massage envy on my first visit. Now ive confirmed it. When I told them why I need to cancel the contract they said they I need a doctors note. Yeah right let me apply that stuff get the reaction get a drs.appt. pay the visit and get a note.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spirithawk111 in Denver, Colorado

19 months ago

please read my new post titled attention!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lala in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

I made the mistake of signing the contract and not reading it. I also thought my boyfriend was going to pay for it every month. He put the first two months on his credit card then lost his job, so now I'm screwed. It has been over 10 months now and I want to pay what I owe, but I want to know if I pay will I stil get my massages????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BaconBits in Chino, California

8 months ago

Aislinn in Boynton Beach, Florida said: So...how is this any different than all the cell phone companies out there or any membership that you typically sign up for?

Cell phone companies are giving you a piece of hardware worth more money than what you have paid them at contract signing then recouping the cost in the monthly payments for service. Early termination fees help to cover the cost of the phone which you are allowed to keep. HUGE DIFFERENCE TO WHAT THIS SHADY COMPANY PRACTICES!

I've lost my income within 20 days of signing a 12 month contract and the manager will not dissolve the contract instead will "freeze" it for 90 days or reduce it to a 6 month contract and freeze it for 60 days. I was out of work for a year last time before I was lucky enough to find another job. So IMO I'm now being extorted into paying for a service I no longer can afford or wish to use. I was polite asking for the cancellation explaining my position but the manager didn't seem to care offering a seemingly scripted response that she can't cancel it because the computer won't allow it. So now my options are to pay, which I can't, or not pay and have my credit rating affected due to non payments.

The Massage Envy contract makes a mockery of valid companies need for a contract. The contracts intent is to offer services at reduced pricing and lock in those prices for a set period much like Verizon or AT&T home service. Yet unlike a true reputable company offers no early termination and instead requires you to move to an area where no ME exists or have a medical excuse. SHAAAADY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BaconBits in Chino, California

8 months ago

BaconBits in Chino, California said: Cell phone companies are giving you a piece of hardware worth more money than what you have paid them at contract signing then recouping the cost in the monthly payments for service. Early termination fees help to cover the cost of the phone which you are allowed to keep. HUGE DIFFERENCE TO WHAT THIS SHADY COMPANY PRACTICES!

I've lost my income within 20 days of signing a 12 month contract and the manager will not dissolve the contract instead will "freeze" it for 90 days or reduce it to a 6 month contract and freeze it for 60 days. I was out of work for a year last time before I was lucky enough to find another job. So IMO I'm now being extorted into paying for a service I no longer can afford or wish to use. I was polite asking for the cancellation explaining my position but the manager didn't seem to care offering a seemingly scripted response that she can't cancel it because the computer won't allow it. So now my options are to pay, which I can't, or not pay and have my credit rating affected due to non payments.

The Massage Envy contract makes a mockery of valid companies need for a contract. The contracts intent is to offer services at reduced pricing and lock in those prices for a set period much like Verizon or AT&T home service. Yet unlike a true reputable company offers no early termination and instead requires you to move to an area where no ME exists or have a medical excuse. SHAAAADY!

So social media wins out.. Posted the following to their Facebook page

"BUYER BEWARE:
Locked into a 12 month with option to freeze for 90 days or 6 month with option to freeze for 60 days contract within 20 days even though I lost my income. I can't think of one company that doesn't allow you to terminate a contract within 30 days. Therapists may be nice but the management, not so much. Thanks ME! <3"

and ME would no longer like to continue doing business with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.