Massage Envy Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Massage Envy?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Not Important in Saint Louis, Missouri

86 months ago

Interview questions? Do you have a massage license?? You're hired!! We had a girl come in the other day that didn't know how to adjust a normal massage table!!! Guess What- she got the job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Therapist - Clinic Owner in Wilmette, Illinois

86 months ago

Not Important in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Interview questions? Do you have a massage license?? You're hired!! We had a girl come in the other day that didn't know how to adjust a normal massage table!!! Guess What- she got the job!!

This would be funny if it weren't so tragic! I have had 9 massages at several MEs and they were all bad. None of the people who worked with me were hirable, including the front desk folks. I really believe that this whole concept is destimed for failure. They are not doing anything right accross the board and they have grown way to fast. The turnover is a real problem, no good therapist in their right mind is going to stay there for long. They are already getting a widespread reputation for doing it all poorly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

fed up in Wilmette, Illinois

85 months ago

Therapist - Clinic Owner in Wilmette, Illinois said: This would be funny if it weren't so tragic! I have had 9 massages at several MEs and they were all bad. None of the people who worked with me were hirable, including the front desk folks. I really believe that this whole concept is destimed for failure. They are not doing anything right accross the board and they have grown way to fast. The turnover is a real problem, no good therapist in their right mind is going to stay there for long. They are already getting a widespread reputation for doing it all poorly.

Well said!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nik in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

85 months ago

Greetings,
I've been a massage therapist licensed
in the State of Florida since 1994...
I consider my profession one of the greatest
gifts to humanity. If our intentions are right.....then all things work for the good...
Many people in this world need the benefits of our services....Including the customers of Massage Envy.......
When I feel lack within myself and fear of not being enough that is when I begin to Judge Others.....
My hat is off to Massage Envy for
coming up with such a creative idea to
introduce Massage Therapy to the many people that still need it...and helping to
bring the power of touch to the world.....

Remember Guys!!!!! Intention and motive is everything....If the heart is not
in the right place it never works out....
Many blessings,

Nik

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

elsewhere in Burbank, California

85 months ago

Wow Nik I don't think you really get it. Massage has been here for a long time and has been available to everyone as well as become accepted treatment thanks to the work of vigilant professionals like you who have raised the awareness of it along with it's profile. Anywhere you go you can find independent contractors charging comparable rates for their services. ME is just an opportunisitic bunch of folks who seek to "cash in " on what is already there. If you are going to attach altruistic motives to their business model I for one think you may be being very naive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Nik in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

85 months ago

Thank You for responding to my call.......
I grew up on an Island that served the children and adults with massages, it was a part of what the families did for each other........ How in Corperate America do we introduce the same experience!!!!!!
MAYBE NAIVE WOMEN LIKE ME HAVE THE ANSWER!!!

Blessings to you,
Nik

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

elsewhere in Burbank, California

85 months ago

Nik in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: Thank You for responding to my call.......
I grew up on an Island that served the children and adults with massages, it was a part of what the families did for each other........ How in Corperate America do we introduce the same experience!!!!!!

How in the world can you equate what you experienced on an island with what Massage Envy is doing? That's a leap of logic that is stunning. You are talking about mutual touch for health within a unique island community. Massage Envy is about mass marketing and corporate controlling of touch as a "commodity" for corporate profit. They don't have the same philosophy as your island community. If they did they'd be doing it for free right?

I have been a massage therapist for 25 years. Massage has always been around with massage available to all at varying prices and that's a stone cold fact. People like us have worked hard to raise awareness about it and now comes a company that seeks to "cash in" and in the process overwork and underpay the very people that made this as popular as it is. To attach motives of "goodwill" to their business model is a stunning disavowal of reality. Here's the truth, correct me if I'm wrong here, Massage Envy is not offering the "same experience" you had on your island. You want to help families? Support independent contractors of therapeutic touch so that they don't have to become wage slaves for ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

The Rose in Odessa, Texas

84 months ago

You all seem to forget that they only charge $39.00 for the hour massage...and they pay all the overhead, make schedules, etc. Percentage-wise they make a lot more than most HMO doctors. Sure places like Huntington Beach Spa charge $140 for a hour massage...the therapist??they get $5-10 per massage, plus tips...seems that ME is being a lot fairer to the therapist, and gives the average joe the chance to have a massage at an available time and an affordable rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cherie Fairchild in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Massage Envy?
Been working for a ME franchise for a few months and I can certainly add my two cents...

Massage Envy is a new way of marketing massage. They probably won't take many clients away from the spas - mostly because ME doesn't have the services and facilities that a spa client demands. That's been made clear upthread.

The ME client seems to come in a few types, none of which were likely to visit the spas.

First, some people want massage to deal with chronic pain issues where previous massage has helped. Frankly, the massage schools see a lot of these clients too. Not every massage is a miracle, but a lot of good happens.

Second, the busy folks who don't want to take the time or money that a spa occupies. They're going to shop for price and convenience. They're often new to massage and don't know what to expect, and as such, might actually prefer to visit a chain.

Third, there are always plenty of new, energetic therapists who work at ME.

In your interview, expect to do a massage on someone to demonstrate your skills. The best thing to do is to negotiate what massage will be done as you go, customizing your work for the person interviewing you. You'll show your professionalism, draping technique, and quality of the massage that you apply. Frankly, this interview massage should be the same as any place you might apply for work.

Massage Envy does not force the therapists "sell" products or services. You do receive a bonus if you massage someone who then signs-up for memberships, but you're not expected to sell the memberships. Just do a good massage!

Is Massage Envy the best place to get a massage? For some! Is it the best place to work? Some make more money here than when they worked at a spa!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois

81 months ago

Cherie Fairchild in Long Beach, California said: Is Massage Envy the best place to get a massage? For some! Is it the best place to work? Some make more money here than when they worked at a spa!

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone could make more at an ME than they did at a spa. If it's true, then they must have been pretty aweful spas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cherie Fairchild in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois said: I find it very difficult to believe that anyone could make more at an ME than they did at a spa. If it's true, then they must have been pretty aweful spas!

+++++++++++++++++++

A bad Spa to work at? Isn't that redundant? Yeah, it's true for me, about the pay. I worked at a few different spas, made typically $20 per massage but was paid nothing for hours NOT massaged. If a therapist works only 2-3 massages per day, it's hard to make it. Also, that 15-18% "gratuity" that charges to the client's hotel bill didn't go to the therapist in two spas, which I hear is too common from friends who are MT's working in spas. By working at a fairly busy Massage Envy, I get to do more massages per week and thereby I make quite a bit more money. I get to keep the tips, both cash or credit-card.

Also, at Massage Envy, I am paid 1/2 the hourly rate for hours not worked, which is better than nothing! I have heard legend of MT's making $40 or more for massage, at a spa, but I have never received this level of pay at anyplace I have worked in about 12 years, and I haven't met anybody who does. If you do, you should consider staying where you are!

Also, typical spa-clients are the ones who rarely get massage, they have a ton of money (this is why they don't care that it costs 3 times the price for my same massage) and are the hardest to please. But at Massage envy, the clients are pretty nice. This makes the job a lot more fun at any price. Massage Envy is not for all therapists and it's not for all clients, but I'm pretty happy! Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Lake

74 months ago

Therapist - Clinic Owner in Wilmette, Illinois said: This would be funny if it weren't so tragic! I have had 9 massages at several MEs and they were all bad. None of the people who worked with me were hirable, including the front desk folks. I really believe that this whole concept is destimed for failure. They are not doing anything right accross the board and they have grown way to fast. The turnover is a real problem, no good therapist in their right mind is going to stay there for long. They are already getting a widespread reputation for doing it all poorly.

I have been a member for over a year, I find the front desk staff very helpful and personable. Since February 2007, I have frequented this clinic and have NEVER had a bad massage. It is my understanding that all the therapists are liscensed and certified. They have always acted professionally and I have not witnessed a high turnover, I have been going to the same therapist for over six months, but when he is not available I have scheduled with many other excellent therapists. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Lake

74 months ago

The Rose in Odessa, Texas said: You all seem to forget that they only charge $39.00 for the hour massage...and they pay all the overhead, make schedules, etc. Percentage-wise they make a lot more than most HMO doctors. Sure places like Huntington Beach Spa charge $140 for a hour massage...the therapist??they get $5-10 per massage, plus tips...seems that ME is being a lot fairer to the therapist, and gives the average joe the chance to have a massage at an available time and an affordable rate.

AMEN! They are trying their best at ME to provide massages for average individuals, not just the weathy few.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bad Experience in Eugene, Oregon

70 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Massage Envy?

Don't believe in what you're told. I have been successful with clients and enjoyed helping them. I have decided to leave and go back to my former job in another city due to the fifteen dollars per session. Lucky to get three sessions per day and no pay for waiting for a client. You give up your self worth when the owner treats you as a slab of meat, with an admitted dislike for massage therapists. They're after money only at the therapists expense. Better off at minimum wage 20 hours per week anywhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

70 months ago

Bad Experience in Eugene, Oregon said: Don't believe in what you're told. I have been successful with clients and enjoyed helping them. I have decided to leave and go back to my former job in another city due to the fifteen dollars per session. Lucky to get three sessions per day and no pay for waiting for a client. You give up your self worth when the owner treats you as a slab of meat, with an admitted dislike for massage therapists. They're after money only at the therapists expense. Better off at minimum wage 20 hours per week anywhere else.

If you were only getting 3 sessions a day (do you work evenings and/or week-ends?) then the clinic owner probably hired too many therapists to start off. At the six month mark most new clinics are doing 600 - 800 appoointments a month. That's enough work for the right number of therapists. You may not have stuck around long enough to find out that the $25 - $30/hr (including gratuity) works out to biweekly pay checks of $1,200 - $1,500+ for full time therapists. But you are right if it doesn't work for you there go somewhere where it does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

2tired in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

I have to say m e has just about burnt me out on the whole business!!! I relocated to a new location where the clinic admin. was on a power trip. After finding out my 80 yr. old client had cancer but was in remission I told him I would need a doctors ok before I could give him a massage. He and his wife were very appreciative and took my name to return after seeing the doctor in 2 days. As the two were leaving, but before they made it out the door, the clinic admin. came running out of her office to ask why they were leaving. I told her everything was fine but I explained how I would need a doctors ok for the records as we all have been repeatedly told throughout our careers. She said it had to go through her first as she could have found another therapist that would do the massage. I was outraged!!!! I was so upset that on New Years eve I walked out with no job to go to. I told her it seemed it's only about the MONEY with these places. I will file unemployment and report this to the massage council. Am I right in my thinking reguarding this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

2tired in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

Check out my other comment and save yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2tired in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

Bad Experience in Eugene, Oregon said: Don't believe in what you're told. I have been successful with clients and enjoyed helping them. I have decided to leave and go back to my former job in another city due to the fifteen dollars per session. Lucky to get three sessions per day and no pay for waiting for a client. You give up your self worth when the owner treats you as a slab of meat, with an admitted dislike for massage therapists. They're after money only at the therapists expense. Better off at minimum wage 20 hours per week anywhere else.

Yes, someone with some _______s!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lilravven in Northfield, Minnesota

48 months ago

elsewhere in Burbank, California said: Wow Nik I don't think you really get it. Massage has been here for a long time and has been available to everyone as well as become accepted treatment thanks to the work of vigilant professionals like you who have raised the awareness of it along with it's profile. Anywhere you go you can find independent contractors charging comparable rates for their services. ME is just an opportunisitic bunch of folks who seek to "cash in " on what is already there. If you are going to attach altruistic motives to their business model I for one think you may be being very naive.

Massage may have been around for a long time but until the last 5 years it was not well received by the general public. New research and lower rates have made massage therapy the profession that it is today. I am a small business owner of a spa and have visited my closest massage envy competition. If MT's would work for the company in the correct way and be there for the customer and not the money it would be more beneficial for our profession not the ME or other franchise companies. That is spoken by people who are jealous of their accomplishments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abe the truth in Upland, California

26 months ago

Nik in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: Greetings,
I've been a massage therapist licensed
in the State of Florida since 1994...
I consider my profession one of the greatest
gifts to humanity. If our intentions are right.....then all things work for the good...
Many people in this world need the benefits of our services....Including the customers of Massage Envy.......
When I feel lack within myself and fear of not being enough that is when I begin to Judge Others.....
My hat is off to Massage Envy for
coming up with such a creative idea to
introduce Massage Therapy to the many people that still need it...and helping to
bring the power of touch to the world.....

Remember Guys!!!!! Intention and motive is everything....If the heart is not
in the right place it never works out....
Many blessings,

Nik

"Creative" Sorry, turning a once decent profession into hamburger in sweatshop like conditions does not advance massage in any good way. Know, tell the truth, do you own one of these establishments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.