Massage Envy Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 5152)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Massage Envy?

What do you like best about working at Massage Envy? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Your Mom in Charlotte, North Carolina

91 months ago

I would not recommend working for them. They would not hesitate to ask you to work 40 hours a week, stay to make up for someone else, not compensate for a no-show, not pay you for an hour that you sit there because they couldn't book you. You start out at $15/hr massage with a *promised* increase of 50 cents every 90 days, which is an empty promise. Average tip is about $8.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (346) / No (78) Reply - Report abuse

Your Mom in Charlotte, North Carolina

91 months ago

Also promised on the web site were benefits and 401k. Therapists have yet to see that offered at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (182) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

sittingdoe in Lynnwood, Washington

91 months ago

MASSAGE ENVY <--the name alone should warn anyone and everyone! i went inside <undercover> for an interview to see what they are really offering, etc. its the only way you can get any REAL information. here's the scoop!

they are capitalizing on LMP's hard work! mass volume for little money. who suffers? not the management. Management is making huge amounts of money at LMP's desparate for work. sad, very sad. they falsely advertise rates of wages. they payscale is this: 15.00 per massage against min wage hourly wage, whatever equals out more at the end of the 2 wk period -- you get. but you don't get both. to me, when i went thru the workplace, it reminded me of a brothel, work stations. you are all wearing uniforms, and you are expected to greet the clients with all the same type of greetings. you perform different types of services from swedish to deep tissue at all the same rate: 15.00 per massage. they don't care about you as a LMP because remember, you are expendable. if you hurt yourself, to bad, so sad, they don't care. they don't care if you do 12 massages a day. you see, they know you don't make enough, so alot of LMP's will think they should do mass quantities of clients to make more money. not smart. instead of falling into these Franchises and being made into a workhorse for little money, with M'Envy's marketing line "let us take care of the administration, while you do what you LOVE", -- DON'T DO IT!~

the name Massage Envy should give everyone a BIG clue. stay away from them! yeah, thats my opinion. id work at mcdonalds before there, and start my own business on the side of my fulltime job at mcdonalds. there are plenty of marketing books out there, and if all else fails....get a job at a salon, chiro, pt, hospital...etc. take classes, build up your...confidence. just don't go into massage envy.. worthless people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (311) / No (86) Reply - Report abuse

disillusioned in Saint Louis, Missouri

91 months ago

I worked at Massage Envy in west county St. Louis and was poorly treated there from minute one. The owner speaks to his employees as though they are naughty 5-year-olds. There was constant pressure to take on more appointments than you want. They say benefits are offered, but I never saw anyone take the health insurance because it cost exactly the same as if you bought it on your own. It would have cost me $400 a month on a salary of about $24,000 before taxes. There are no paid holidays, sick days, etc. Basically, when you don't have an appointment, you are not paid.

Awful place to work, awful managers who know nothing about massage, don't care about therapists. This company is all about the money, but only for management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (215) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

Weekend massage therapist in Kensington, Maryland

91 months ago

The Massage Envy in Fredericksburg VA is very nice as a work place. Much nicer than my spa in DC in many ways. Its quiet and comfortable but most of all I love the kitchen / lounge area with its cable TV. We didnt have a place to sit down and eat in DC.. often doing 8 hours back-to-back massages earning about $50 for each one.

The therapists at Massage Envy seem like a family gathering in the break room they really seem like great people. The managers seem kind and concerned for their staff not forcing hours but allowing personal choice. Of course when the client demand gets excessive that will have to change. They have to do numbers and satisfy demand.

The only issue I have is being paid.. averaging $100 for a 6 hr shift as a massage therapist is amazing. I have worked by commission in a spa for 4 yrs and often make $700 - 800 each weekend. Really, my tips alone are as much as what Ive made at Massage Envy on the 2 days Ive worked so far.

I am not at massage envy to pay my bills... But I am between jobs and dont care to be isolated or stay in bed all day.. I want the company of peers..and I truly enjoy massage. I am not there for the money. After taxes on my 4 or 5 massages then my average $10 tips.. I wouldnt be able to pay my car note. Forget about my $1600 mortgage, utilities and credit cards, food etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (130) / No (82) Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Inland Empire, So. Calif. in Montclair, California

91 months ago

This is, to me, a VERY bad deal. Newer therapists are going to jump on the chance for a "job" and be exploited (as usual). They're building a new Massage Envy in our city. I worked for a spa/company in a nearby city that paid similar wages (minimum or commission depending on how many massages actually done). We were overworked and expendable- they kept about a dozen therapists on staff. If one gets hurt, tough, there's always someone else. Back-to-back massages take their toll on your body. The place also said they'd offer benefits, etc., but only after an insane amount of hours weekly for an LMT to work and if you didn't have the required PER WEEK, each week, no benefits- which were (as mentioned elsewhere) as expensive as if we'd bought them independently. $15 per massage is awful. You are far better off, as someone said, working at a fast food joint and building up your business on the side through a chiro, hospital, day spa, etc. Personally, I went to school for a year, paid over $10K for school, have to pay outrageous fees for licensing in each city I work (hundreds $$ in each city- this is CA and it's not a state license)- why would I work for $15/hr.? Nobody can do proper massage 40 hrs a week and not break down physically. But to do less hours at that wage, who can survive? Weigh the pros and cons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (143) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

massage mother in Chandler, Arizona

91 months ago

I am a massage therapist and I was shocked and appauled that Massage Evny is exploiting new massage therapists this way. If you get hurt by doing this kind of work, your are out of commision for several months. I plan on opening a massage business and I am going to make sure my employees are paid a fair commission with the proper breaks in between massages. And if there is anyone else who would like to do this, it will make them revamp their pay stucture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (108) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

C.R. in Pflugerville, Texas

91 months ago

I currently work at a massage envy in tx. I do understand what most of you are saying but i do have some words against that. For someone just coming out of school and no experience it is a good place to start. Yes $15/hr is not good but I only work 4 days a week and only do at most 5 hr of massage each day. I work less this way, say if i was to work another job i would have to work more hours.
At the place I'm at they work with you. I told them I only want 3 in a row and 5 a day and that is what I am set up for. They only work you as much as you want. As far as the tips well in the area I'm in they are great earning avg. $15 tip/hr.
I do work for some nice people. So I guess it's the luck of the draw. I have learn a lot here and can take this knowledge to the next better paying job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (160) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

arizona in Scottsdale, Arizona

91 months ago

Massage Envy - they hire students right out of school, so the quality is, of course, not that high. It doesn't matter if you have years of experience behind you, they still pay you poorly and expect only 10 min. downtime between clients. It is horrible. The tips are terrible and if you are good, the clients want to come to you at your home and not come to Massage envy. Can you spell massage therapist warehouse? It is awful. I worked for them for ahwile and could not take it anymore. It's all about the money for management and benefits, what a joke. COBRA is cheaper than their rates. All in all, what a scam. STAY AWAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (110) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Tina G in Atlanta, Georgia

91 months ago

I was offered a subcontract position at a new day spa at $24.00/hr. The spa provides all supplies. Is this a good rate? I was expecting more but I am fresh out of school. I will also get to learn some spa techniques that weren't taught at my school. Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy- Jacksonville, FL in Orange Park, Florida

90 months ago

Tina Gin Atlanta, Georgia said: I was offered a subcontract position at a new day spa at $24.00/hr. The spa provides all supplies. Is this a good rate? I was expecting more but I am fresh out of school. I will also get to learn some spa techniques that weren't taught at my school. Any thoughts?

This is not bad for starting out- they provide everything? Like many of us who when we were fresh out of school did some job hopping to "find our place"- Do not let that worry you. Go with your "gut"- If this feels right then go with it. You can learn some pretty cool stuff while your there too. Just, and I can't say this enough, GO WITH YOUR GUT. If something feels funny don't do it--- again if it feels right try it---what's the worst that can happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Jeff from Jacksonville. very condescending Jeff. who wouldnt want to be at Massage Envy? the rates are so wonderfully low and gosh...what great service you get too? wow!!!! awesome!!!! coool!!!! but at who's expense???? the LMP's who do all the work? gee golly? it must be so hard to run your own business and pay the electric too? oh gosh, i don't think i can do it?? yet...hmmmm so many people do, but....i'm a just a LMP, i really don't know if i could make an honest living. oh golly gee Jeff, thanks for setting us all straight! your input, sooooo very helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (140) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

90 months ago

It's the nature of any job that what one person sees as an opportunity another will see as exploitation. For a retail chain the customer's experience is a higher priority than the replaceable employees experience. That is that trade off between being self employed or being an employee. It seems to me that is what this thread is discussing, the trade-offs of working for retail chains vs the traditional small business model of the massage therapists profession. Clearly there are pros and cons to both.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Thank you Audrey :o). You have said it perfectly! LMP's there are places of employment that try to find the WIN-WIN solution. There will always be Employers that seek what this discussion is all about, and there will always be potential employees that are just fine with the stipulations that are placed before them. Moment by moment we make choices, it's life, and learning, and we all have to start somewhere - usually at the bottom is the best, and although i consider Massage Envy the bottom, the least of least. - because the employee IS expendable - sad, very sad. no WIN-WIN here. i would love to see Massage Envy Boycotted. but perhaps its a great choice for the fresh out of school student to build up confidence, and clients. i see it as exploitation of the students, and i see plenty of opportunists - vultures - ready to dine upon it. -Just remember : every choice is a lesson, build and grow from it, ask other seasoned LMP's. Thank you again Audrey for your wise words - God Bless you all, even you Jeff :o)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

cellestine in Deltona, Florida

90 months ago

Was anybody else required to sign an 8 page ' No Compete ' plus get their own occupational license ( $72 )plus sign a 'perpetual 'photo release ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Some businesses have you sign "no compete" contracts, some don't. the last job i was at, it was a 3 yr clause after i leave. different jobs have different stipulation. i guess you have to decide if you love the place your going to work, or if you don't. 72.00 a small investment. every door that you go thru is a potential lesson, don't be afraid, go with your wisdom, and trust in it. if you make a mistake, back up, and try another way. Trust God. :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Karmic Retribution in Denver, Colorado

90 months ago

Here is what I think (As if it matters). I agree with some, and disagree with some. Massage Envy is the great clips of Massage Therapy. They pay their therapist crap, but the therapists also get very much needed Experience, that until they have that, can't get a job anywhere else. Of course the consumer is going to love it, its cheap massage. There will always be the people who will stick to a massage that costs more, because that must mean its better, which is crap. Just because it costs more dosen't mean the therapist is better. I work for a similar company, and we make crap wages, but I got the job right out of school, I've gained soo much knowledge, about myself, about massage, about how I want to run my business now. Don't be bitter because Massage isn't the 100k a year job you expected, be happy that you get to help people who otherwise might not have been able to affoard it, and if you don't like it move on. =-) Have a great day!! =-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (115) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Gary Anderson in Portland, Oregon

90 months ago

After reading these posts I have a few things to add. I am the President of a Massage Business and I am appauled at the inputs I have read about Massage Envy and those other Massage offices who exploit their massage therapists. To those who think its ok to pay a sub standard wage to a therapist should try to give a good massage for lets say 3 one hour massages. Thats not much for most massage therapists to do. Yet for me I know the hard effort put out to give a quality massage for just ONE HOUR, let alone for a shift day after day. It's very hard work and very hard on the hands. My massage therapists have a grip better than most strong men because of the effort required to perform a good massage. When taking into the factor of deep tissue massage thats a whole other story! I have very high regards for those who take on massage as a career, it's not easy... I know most of them could be earning alot more for the effort put out on a daily basis. They have a love to help people and they deserve a pay approprate to their skill level. In the health care field ( which they all belong to seeing that they are required by law to get a license by the state from the health department - the same agency that regulates doctors and nurses...Hmm maybe it's time to get a grip and understand that massage therapists are MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS... Would you go to a doctor who makes minimum wage??? I really think not, so what's the beef if you like massage then pay the going rate and treat them like the MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS they are! In closing, if you like the cut rate style massage envy and those other businesses are doing to medical professionals then your going to love socialized medicine,,, just look at the quality of health care in the countries that have it.. Everyone who goes to the doctor in those countries would love to have the care we have in our country.. So as the saying goes 'Keep it up and watch another quality service fall along the way side'. It's only a matter of time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (133) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

LMT/CMT in Phoenix, Arizona

90 months ago

Concerned,I think your missing th point. I have worked at Massage Envy and Im not disgruntled, I actually enjoyed the location I worked. No one ever said that Massage Envy isnt great for consumers. Your right, consumers think its great. Where else can you go to get a massage for for $39. But what you need to understand is the way that company is set up, the franchise owners and the owner at corp. are the ones making the money. Therapists get paid anywhere from $15-$17 hr. That is not much for all of the training and continuing education, insurance, licensing fees. I have my own business and I charge a fair price, about $60 hr. With all of the specialized training I have and liability working with cancer patients, Im worth it. I also do volunteer work. I think by offering massage that cheap, we take worth away from the trade and make it a novelty. Im all for making things affordable, but there will always be those people that want things at the cheapest price available and you cant always cater to that. If your option is a massage for $120 hr vs $39, I understand, but the fact is, there are alot of places to get a massage somewhere in between. The employess you have encountered Im sure seemed happy and curtious, they are trained to be that way and hope it will get them a better tips. They count on that because without the tips, they cant pay their bills. Massage Envy does take advantage of therapists, thats reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Concerned, affordable massage is in Chiropractor offices (i should know, i work in two separate offices and they charge 55.00 and 60.00 cash - i'm pd 28/30 per massage)and i also have my own business and the rates are 75.00 and higher based upon service. target market is the key here. i'm glad you are happy and can afford your massage. i'm NOT happy at the wages the LMP (who render your services) are being paid at Massage Envy. a good starting pay for them should be 24-28.00 an hour plus tips.

have you tipped your massage therapist 18%?

for the record: i've never worked at Massage Envy, so the disgruntled employee doesnt fly. i am a seasoned LMP, retired USN, and advocate for graduates (self-appointed).

a person cannot do wrong and expect right to come from it.

God Rocks! :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I am fresh out of school and I am appalled at the low wages spas pay. I had a day spa here in Atlanta offer me $20,000/year, no benefits for 40 hours of massage per week! That is appalling. I walked out of the interview without a demo because face it, that's slave labor. $10.00/hr might be o.k. for an unskilled worker. What's interesting is that the owner, prior to telling me the salary said he had three new therapist walk out on him. Well no wonder! You get what you pay for! People say 'you have got to start somewhere'. I refuse to share my gifts to make someone else rich. I wont even consider working at one of those places because I know I am worth more than that. Its like any other low paid job...hard work, no respect, someone else makes all the money and you are a door mat. I excelled in my training and I plan to excel in my profession. Fact is if you don't value your time, work, and gifts, no one else will either. C'mon therapists respect yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

blue in Collierville, Tennessee

90 months ago

You all are pretty funny. "Medical Professionals" what BS. And as far as hard work when was the last time you lifted a shovel for 8 straight. Oh...$15 per hour pretty damn good starting wage. That's starting salary for a teacher who has WAY more education than you and far more impact on society. IF you don't like the situation then don't do it. If you want to make a $100k then do a job that's worth a $100k. Go out, shell out $250k and open your own place, staff it with over paid lazy asses and see how long you last. It will be a good lesson in why you should have chosen Network Engineering as a career instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (114) / No (299) Reply - Report abuse

Deni in Altamonte Springs, Florida

90 months ago

jeff - Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been going to M.E for 3 months now. My wife and I both. We've had nothing but a wonderful experince. They must be producing some great students in our area schools. We look forward to our visits. I'm really glad most of you aren't from the Jacksonville area. My wife and I wish you all the best. Just try running your own massage business and try to make a honest living and hire help and pay the rent and the electic. I've been in business for 20 years, and I'm glad my employees don't bash my company like you have.Sure glad I'm a customer not an employee.

Oh please, where are u living in wonderland?? Many LMT's have paid a lot of money to become a massage therapist and the pay I was offered by this place was an insult to my intelligence. They offer "NO" benefits, no raise expectations or anything. I gave my massage to someone that was not even a massage therapist, and was a wimp also.
LMT'S STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE IF U RESPECT YOUR VALUE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

MR. or Ms. Blue. I have worked harder jobs in my life than you could fathom. I spent 4 years in tha Marines. Dug ditches for the parks system and other "easy" labor jobs. If you have never done massage before for 1 hr or 2 hrs streight, then I suggest you give it a try and do it for 8 hrs. So far as medical professionals, I would consider them just that. You see, Im also a Nurse and have seen the effect of certain therapies on people with Cancer and other medical conditions. I suggest you contact those people and their families and ask them how much B.S. it is. You are the person I think every therapist would pray not to get as a client.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (187) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

beware new graduates...stay away from all of these spas that pay less than $15.00/hour. There are spas out there that will pay you $30.00/hour plus tips. If you believe that you are great at what you do then refuse to be paid so little for your services. Work for a chiropractor, do corporate massage, work part time while you build your practice... anything but cheapen the art and skill of massage!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

blue in Collierville, Tennessee said: You all are pretty funny. "Medical Professionals" what BS. And as far as hard work when was the last time you lifted a shovel for 8 straight. Oh...$15 per hour pretty damn good starting wage. That's starting salary for a teacher who has WAY more education than you and far more impact on society. IF you don't like the situation then don't do it. If you want to make a $100k then do a job that's worth a $100k. Go out, shell out $250k and open your own place, staff it with over paid lazy asses and see how long you last. It will be a good lesson in why you should have chosen Network Engineering as a career instead.

jeez....angry at the world? Are you a therapist? If not, your opinion doesn't mean a thing to anyone here. I think you would be suprised how intellectually challenging some of the massage programs are, especially orthopedic and neuromuscular therapy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (110) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

blue in Collierville, Tennessee said: You all are pretty funny. "Medical Professionals" what BS. And as far as hard work when was the last time you lifted a shovel for 8 straight. Oh...$15 per hour pretty damn good starting wage. That's starting salary for a teacher who has WAY more education than you and far more impact on society. IF you don't like the situation then don't do it. If you want to make a $100k then do a job that's worth a $100k. Go out, shell out $250k and open your own place, staff it with over paid lazy asses and see how long you last. It will be a good lesson in why you should have chosen Network Engineering as a career instead.

this is a forum FOR MASSAGE THERAPIST'S. PERIOD!

of course your opinion is valued, just not here. there are other forums that you can find to voice your opinions to, instead of trying to parallel your reality to our livelihood, in which btw you are uninformed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

90 months ago

This is a forum to discuss Massage Envy. All are welcome as long as they add constructive discussion and abide by the terms of service. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Interested in Opening a ME franchise in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

90 months ago

I was glad to read this blog. I was interested in opening a franchise, but having read your blog gives me a lot to think about. Even though all locations are not bad, it appears that the $15 bucks per hour are consistent across the board and the majority are unhappy. If LMT's are unhappy the word will get out on the reputation of ME, which cold make it difficult to hire professionals. I'm glad I was able to find this blog. It gives me great insight. Good Luck to all of you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Interested in Opening a ME franchise in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

90 months ago

DLF in Longmont, Colorado said: I happened on this board when researching ME for a career opportunity. Everyone thinks their education, training, and skills are undervalued and underpaid regardless of the industry. It's the nature of business. I want to be on your side on this, I really do. However, I find it hard to take your comments as credible when some of you make overly-broad generalizations about a company that is independently owned and operated! The people I met at my location were fantastic managers and taught me a lot. If the negative comments are born out of more than one isolated experience someone has, then it holds merit. One interview in one location is not enough to convince me ME is evil...maybe that location wasn't the greatest, but that doens't mean they are all bad. As for salary...I agree with whoever said that about teachers. My best friend's first teaching job at a private Catholic school paid her $11,000 a year! Yes, you read that right. No wonder America is like last on the list of rankings when comparing this generation's education to others around the world.

Were you offered $15 per hour as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I think some of us are missing the point. I realize that there are other professions that are important to the world that dont pay as they should. Teachers are the most underpaid in this country.... BUT does thst mean that no matter how we try to better ourselves by going to school or getting a degree that we should just take whatever pay is offered just because someone else is underpaid? If thats the case, then no one would bother and we wouldnt have doctors, nurses, police. Lets face it, everyone goes to school to get a better job and better pay. I think that those people SHOULD expect more and that includes teachers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sue cmt in Chesterfield, Massachusetts

90 months ago

Employees are happy when treated well. If you listen to, incorporate, don't overwork and empower your employees? Guess what; they don't bash you. They give you years of loyal service and it shows in what they give to clients and to ways to make the business grow. Such a tough lesson to decrease in turnover and treat people like you would want to be treated.
Massage is not like other work. Often, there is a limit to how many you can do a day, physically, especially to prevent injury. You are a contract worker; have to pay for your own insurance, malpractice, vacations, taxes, 401K, etc. It is easy to get injured and there is no protection for you. Depending on where you live, 15$ an hour for 10 - 15 massages a week may not make a living for you with all these expenses. If people are not able to get by, are not given decent breaks, choices, benefits and are asked to risk their livelihood, then I hope they would complain. There are no unions for massage therapists. If your employees are not complaining, then you must be doing it right. Not always the case, is it.

jeff - Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've been going to M.E for 3 months now. My wife and I both. We've had nothing but a wonderful experince. They must be producing some great students in our area schools. We look forward to our visits. I'm really glad most of you aren't from the Jacksonville area. My wife and I wish you all the best. Just try running your own massage business and try to make a honest living and hire help and pay the rent and the electic. I've been in business for 20 years, and I'm glad my employees don't bash my company like you have.Sure glad I'm a customer not an employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chronic aches ... and a teacher in Orlando, Florida

90 months ago

I'm glad, but disappointed, that I did a basic Google search for ME in addition to just going to the site. My husband and I are both teachers, and previous posts have addressed how much money we make. I'd seen a blurb about the new ME opening up and had thought about asking for a membership as a present for my very first Mothers' Day.

Now, I know I couldn't be comfortable, wondering how overworked and angry the therapist was. My workplace exploits all of us terribly, and it's all we can do to provide quality instruction to our students when we are so torn up and beaten down on the inside. Try feeling that way and then inspiring/controlling over 25 teenagers each hour for 6 hours [plus the hour or so you're expected to "supervise" on hallway duty, parking lot duty, etc.]

So, now that I know ME is a racket and exploits its workers, what can a fellow underpaid/exploited worker with no real money do about chronic muscle pain and stiffness and stress?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Cellestine in Sanford, Florida

90 months ago

To Chronic Aches: There may be a massage school in your area that offers massage by students at a reduced rate to you.

This is not exploitation but an opportunity for students to work on the public under teacher supervision. It generates confindence ,helps build skills and the student gets feedback that helps before they graduate.

There is usually a list in the massage schools that help a newly licensed person find clients in your area.

Thank you for your support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

client's pov in American Canyon, California

90 months ago

Well, I am a member at ME and I love it, mostly for the price. i jumped on the deal because it made massages affordable, but it is sad to think that the therappists has to work under the unpleasant conditions mentioned above. On the other hand, if the free lance therapists offer massages at a reasonable price (say $40 vs the $80 I am used to) I'd be more than happy to ditch the ME and pay the therapist directly.

My 2 cents for the LMT: advertise on your local media and family/friends network for affordable massage, and you'll win by getting your own client base and not having to work for anyone, be it ME or anyone else (to gets $$$ of your hard work)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

latish in Edmonds, Washington

90 months ago

Medical Professional? Isn't it only 1800 hours or less for licensing, I think Hairdressers serve more time than that. It boggles my mind that LMP's believe they should get 30$ an hour to start. I'm an RN and it took me 20 years of service to reach that wage!! Although I knew full well that I would be expected to do the work of Florence Nightinggale without the compensation. I'm not complaining but all you pampered pooches out there getting your massages, perms and nail tips at exorbitant prices and creating the elitist market will hopefully look around at the age of 80 while your wasting away in a nursing home and wonder where did all the qualified caring people go. No wonder none of today's children want to be teachers or nurses.I wish I could get an 18% gratuity for inserting that suppository just right!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (82) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

latish in Edmonds, Washington said: Medical Professional? Isn't it only 1800 hours or less for licensing, I think Hairdressers serve more time than that. It boggles my mind that LMP's believe they should get 30$ an hour to start. I'm an RN and it took me 20 years of service to reach that wage!! Although I knew full well that I would be expected to do the work of Florence Nightinggale without the compensation. I'm not complaining but all you pampered pooches out there getting your massages, perms and nail tips at exorbitant prices and creating the elitist market will hopefully look around at the age of 80 while your wasting away in a nursing home and wonder where did all the qualified caring people go. No wonder none of today's children want to be teachers or nurses.I wish I could get an 18% gratuity for inserting that suppository just right!

Wow! I cant beleive the hostility in some of these posts. I am a Nurse also, but I cant say that Massage Therapists or anyone else shouldnt get what they are worth. Again, if you dont think your paid enough then work somewhere else or go back to school, but dont expect others to take less pay because you think your job is more important. Calling people elitist and pampered sounds a little harsh. People have the right to spend their money the way they want. For some, its not about facials and nails. I know several cancer patients that cherish the massages they get from their therapists. As with any profession like Nursing, Massage Therapists, Teachers etc. We all go into it knowing that we will not get paid our worth and to a certain extent that wasnt the reason we enterd the field anyway. This forum is about Massage Envy, not about whos worth more. If you were offerd a job nursing for $15 hr. You wouldnt take it, and I wouldnt expect you to. All the rest of us ask, is that we have the same choice. I have been trained in both fields and I can say, there is more training than you think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I would like to set the record streight for those of you posting that are uninformed about Massage Envy. Massage Envy does not offer cheap massage because they are so concerned about making it affordable for everyone. They are not concerned about consumers welfare or your income level. The bottom line is that Massage Envy is the Wal-Mart of the massage industry. I know, Ive worked for them and was a manager. They want to monopolize the profession. Put every spa and private practice out of business. Thats why they are located in every town in every state. I know you may not care as long as you get your $39 massage, but sooner or later without competition, you wont have a choice but to do business with them, is that what you want? Other therapists have a lot to offer to the field and alot of specialized training to offer that Envy therapist dont because most of them have less than 1 yrs. experince. You get what you pay for as with anything else. They exploit the profession, their therapists and the public. They lock you into contracts, and lure you into buying more because its cheap. In the endyour not saving as much as you think. If you doubt Massage Envys reputation, look at the job postings and ask yourself why they are always hiring, alot of the time for the same locations. Hmmmm...Somethings just dont add up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

brack in Seattle, Washington

90 months ago

LMT/CMT in Phoenix, Arizona said: I would like to set the record streight for those of you posting that are uninformed about Massage Envy. Massage Envy does not offer cheap massage because they are so concerned about making it affordable for everyone. They are not concerned about consumers welfare or your income level. The bottom line is that Massage Envy is the Wal-Mart of the massage industry. I know, Ive worked for them and was a manager. They want to monopolize the profession. Put every spa and private practice out of business. Thats why they are located in every town in every state. I know you may not care as long as you get your $39 massage, but sooner or later without competition, you wont have a choice but to do business with them, is that what you want? Other therapists have a lot to offer to the field and alot of specialized training to offer that Envy therapist dont because most of them have less than 1 yrs. experince. You get what you pay for as with anything else. They exploit the profession, their therapists and the public. They lock you into contracts, and lure you into buying more because its cheap. In the endyour not saving as much as you think. If you doubt Massage Envys reputation, look at the job postings and ask yourself why they are always hiring, alot of the time for the same locations. Hmmmm...Somethings just dont add up.

Can everyone say "SUPERCUTS"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Essential Therapeutics in Atlanta, Georgia

90 months ago

Thank You : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ME Franchise Owner in Reno, Nevada

89 months ago

Massage Envy is not evil. Not all of us owners are evil. Many of my employees were grateful to have found us. We can guarantee hours, clients, and a clean professional work environment. While I understand the hostility with "mass production Corporations in general,” it is not fair to bash all Massage Envy locations. Personally I own 3 locations and have over 70 wonderful LMTs. They seem to be happy and treated very well by my staff!
While I understand that the 15-20 per massage pay scale can be considered "undervalued" for all that you do, it is important to know that some of us owners over bonuses, incentives and even profit sharing. Plus when my therapists are hired they are allowed to pick their schedule and how many massages they do in a day. They also inform my staff that they need a break after so many massages. Whatever is good for their body and mind.

Do not believe all that you read or hear about Massage Envy. I truly believe that it is a great place to work!

To anyone that is offended, I appologize a head of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

dangrboi in Denver, Colorado

89 months ago

I believe that the massage industry is suffering what all industries are...a polarization of the earnings disbursement...workers are getting less and less and owners are getting more and more...and not much is left in the middle. When looking at the growing massage industry, I could have been a worker, or an owner, and I am choosing to become an owner. How could i not based on all the rhetoric above.

Anytime that a society (ours) stops making things (autos, steel, durable goods) and becomes a "service industry" focused society...then the average wage of the service worker goes down. Generally, it is the manufacturing workers who demand higher wages.

Just as the dotcoms, telecommunications, steel, automakers, and housing markets all have had their "hay day" maybe massage has seen it's glory days and it is returning to the pack of other average paying jobs. But once people start paying $39 dollars for a massage...the idea of paying much higher premiums will make most consumers wince. Remember when we bought the internet by the minute? or when we bought whole albums rather than download a single song? Markets change, industries change...auto workers were exploited by robots...unions were broken by immigrants who would work on the cheap, the examples are endless.

An hour massage in China, Cambodia,Thailand, etc cost from $2USD to $10USD...we should feel lucky that our massages haven't been outsourced to India...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

client's pov in American Canyon, California

89 months ago

That is why the LPT need to cut out the middle man, and take home the max. REad my previous post! Unlike many others, I am offering a solution! Yes, while the massages have not been outsourced oversees (let's face it, I am a hardware design engineer with 3 degress, who has been laid off due to outsourcing of my job 3 times sinec 2000!) when I can get a massage for 10 bucks (which given all the lay offs helps my budget!), the therapist can offer me the $39 directly, and I pay them instead of paying the ME.

We can bash and insult, like what has been going on here for the past few days, or we can have a constructive solution where the hard working people get the most they deserve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

client's pov in Lafayette, California

89 months ago

you are missing the point. and yes, if someone else would take 80% of the $300 you pay the doc, then cutting the middle man would make sense. It is not about ME determining the worth of LMT, it is about the fact that ME has made it affordable to those of us who cannot afford it otherwise, but now if out of the $39 i pay ME, only $15 makes it to the LMT's hands, then what I am saying is that there isn't really a need for an institution to get a massage, those who work at ME and are unhappy, can offer their services directlty to the client, and get more.

And again, YES, in all and every business, cutting the middle man increases profit to both the client and the provider.

I am not sure why there is constantly a tone of hositility in this forum. Are we here to talk and exchange opinions of are we here to attack? Why the hostile environment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

client's pov in Lafayette, California said: you are missing the point. and yes, if someone else would take 80% of the $300 you pay the doc, then cutting the middle man would make sense. It is not about ME determining the worth of LMT, it is about the fact that ME has made it affordable to those of us who cannot afford it otherwise, but now if out of the $39 i pay ME, only $15 makes it to the LMT's hands, then what I am saying is that there isn't really a need for an institution to get a massage, those who work at ME and are unhappy, can offer their services directlty to the client, and get more.

And again, YES, in all and every business, cutting the middle man increases profit to both the client and the provider.

I am not sure why there is constantly a tone of hositility in this forum. Are we here to talk and exchange opinions of are we here to attack? Why the hostile environment?

I just think that the overall tone in this forum from consumers or others that are not therapists is that we should lower our prices, work for less, cater to the people who cant afford it. Maybe thats where you may see the discouragement Its not hostility, its hearing over and over that we dont desearve more, other professions pay are paid so be happy with what you get, etc. The thimg you are not seeing is the fact that you expect therapists to take less pay, spas to offer massage at cut rate which forces them to pay therapists less to cover their losses. It happens in other businees also. What happens if they dont keep the prices low? They close the doors or outsource as you have experienced. I will not offer a massage for $40 when I have to pay for advertising, web upkeep, insurance, continuing education, supplies, license renewals etc. Thats just crazy. This is not hostility, its reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

client's pov in Lafayette, California

89 months ago

Then dont lower your prices, and dont' complaing when we do go and support someone who does. If you are that unhappy with what is happening to your profession field, then change your profession.

And please READ MY LIPS: I am saying to those of you who keep complaining here about getting $15 out of the $40 I pay ME, that I am willing to give you all the $40. You dont' want it, too bad, I'll give it to ME, and you get what you get!

The one thing I learned out of this whole forum: THE LMT in this forum seem to have a lot of problems with who they are and what they offer!

Wake up, smell the coffee, the world changed, you need to change with it. There used to be a time when massages were luxuries only a certain group of people could afford, but now, we are at the time that everyone, from the teacher who deals with 26 teenager, to the nurse who runs on her foot 10 hours a day, to the engineer who designs the very same computer you are using to get on this forum can use a little massage to just be able to get back to the work for which each and every one of us is getting paid less and less every day, where all our jobs are getting outsources or replaced one way or the other, whether it is by the online classes where no teacher is needed, to the hospitals when the patient is sent home to cost the cost of paying nurses,to the computer designs that are being sent to india. It is a different world, and like it or not, you the beloved massage therapist are part of it. Accept it, move on, and adapat to the change. Or it you decide not to, at least stop complaining when someone gives you an idea.

There is a book called "who moved my cheese" that I recommet you read, and then decide how to deal with the change.

As for me, as long as I have the choice between not getting massage, or getting one for $40, the choice is clear. The decision is yours: do you want my $40, or do you want the $15? There ME, Just Massage, and many other companies that offer massages....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Indianapolis, Indiana

89 months ago

Tina G in Atlanta, Georgia said: I was offered a subcontract position at a new day spa at $24.00/hr. The spa provides all supplies. Is this a good rate? I was expecting more but I am fresh out of school. I will also get to learn some spa techniques that weren't taught at my school. Any thoughts?

This is a ery good deal. As u said u will pick up more skills to carry alone with u. Remember, it is better to have that hand's on experience when u start your own business. $24 an hour is more than most people who have been working for 10-15 years. I say go for it. What do u have to loose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Connie in Indianapolis, Indiana said: This is a ery good deal. As u said u will pick up more skills to carry alone with u. Remember, it is better to have that hand's on experience when u start your own business. $24 an hour is more than most people who have been working for 10-15 years. I say go for it. What do u have to loose.

You are asking me to charge what you want to pay?? I wish I could. If I could do it for free, that would be great too, but I have bills like everyone else. Like I said before, I would expect the consumer loves paying the $39. In most cases that will always be the case. Masssage Envy is just one company that charges that. I will not adjust my prices to make consumers that go there happy. I have had plenty of Envy clients come to me and pay extra because they get alot more. Cheap isnt always better, and I won't cheapen my service to make it cheap, and from what I see, my clients dont want that either. im not complaining about the money I make, but that has nothing to do with calling out a company that is hurting the profession. Again, just because outsourcing and pay cuts happen everywhere else, does not mean we should just give in and forget about it. If you love your $39 massage, then get it. I dont have a problem with that. I will not be preasured into paying what you want to pay. If a client comes to me and really needs massage for a medical condition and I know they really cant afford it, I lower my price, sometimes do it for free. I do what I can. But there are alot more people out there that just want cheap, theres nothing wrong with that, but we cant always cater to that. Yes, the world has changed, but sometimes you have to fight a little and get a little more inventive. To those just graduated looking for experience, Massage Envy may be a good place to start, just dont let it fool you into thinking thats all you will ever be worth. Get the experience and move on like others working for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Essential Therapeutics in Atlanta, Georgia

89 months ago

I liked the comment "Supercuts". Meaning you go to supercuts for a basic cheap haircut. You don't expect high quality...sometimes you may get it but its not expected. For some people a spa massage is all they have ever experienced so they don't know what they are missing in a therapeutic massage delivered by someone who really knows the muscles they are manipulating. Those clients are happy with a spa enviroment.Anyway, my point is if you feel that your massage is worth 70 or 80 dollars an hour by all means charge that. A lot of therapists work for someone else while they save money to open their own practice. Being self-employed is much more complicated than showing up for a 5 hour shift at a spa. It really boils down to what you are comfortable with and if you can sustain yourself during the thin times as a self employed practitioner. I would like to see more great therapists open practices together, or more wellness centers that offer massage as part of a whole wellness package...nutrition,fitness and massage open their doors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »