How to Put Massage Envy(R) Out of Business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey

83 months ago

How to Put Massage Envy Out of Business

Remember, Massage Envy under cuts hard working massage therapists by paying half of what the going rate is. Use this strategy against Massage Envy by undercutting their franchise fees. They currently charge $50,000 to buy a Massage Envy franchise; a masssage therapist with the financial backing might be able to structure a respectable franchise that pays massage therapists half of what a massage costs by offering the franchise opportunity for $25,000.00. This may very well immediately sink Massage Envy's expansion plans. On top of that, advertise that you accept competitors coupons and memberships from massage franchises. You may need to do this for a year or two while the Massage Envy franchises that are currently open continue to pay high rents in retail locations and go out of business. Then, when they go out of business along with the other discount massage franchise chains, you can raise your prices from $40 to $60-70. Even if you never charge as low as $40, you can still put them out of business by undercutting them on franchising opportunities and you can become rich doing this. You can use the franchisees' revenue stream to survive.

Another thing we can do is form some kind of union or use an existing professional agency like ABMP or AMTA for assistance. Recruit enough massage therapists or other people to volunteer to carry picket signs on the public sidewalks that are closest to Massage Envy(R). This will scare away there customers

It is okay to help people and it is also okay to make a profit; but there is such a thing as an ethical profit. Massage Envy does not make ethical profits in my opinion. This is an example of greed. Instead of everyone making a good living, Massage Envy wants to make it all for themselves. Prevent them from cheapening the industry (as an earlier blogger wrote) and seriously consider utilizing my plan described above. Also please forward this post to at least 10 others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

groovydude

83 months ago

Massage Envy is a chop shop upper management don't care a bit about the therapists. If you are a massage therapist stay away from this chain!!! Lots of empty promises...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

83 months ago

groovydude said: Massage Envy is a chop shop upper management don't care a bit about the therapists. If you are a massage therapist stay away from this chain!!! Lots of empty promises...

I own three clinics. You don't know me. You don't know my therapists. You sure don't know what I care about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

PatS in North Carolina

82 months ago

Gray you did not deny your CHOp Chop business. We had one open up from us and came in secretly to recruit our Team members. This is bad business and speaks volume to their concept. I have to believe they are told in their buisness model that they pay $50K to steal employee's.

There fees and high rent will kill them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

82 months ago

Chop shop denied

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

chacha in New Paris, Indiana

26 months ago

PatS in North Carolina said: Gray you did not deny your CHOp Chop business . We had one open up from us and came in secretly to recruit our Team members. This is bad business and speaks volume to their concept. I have to believe they are told in their buisness model that they pay $50K to steal employee's.

There fees and high rent will kill them

Oh, c'mon, it has always been business practice to approach others' employees. No one is steeling an employee from you. You don't own the employee. You have a business contract with the employee. If Massage Envy pays their therapists crap and treat them terrible why are you worried they can steel your therapists? Obviously, the business plan of the franchise owner, includes paying wages and benefits that are higher than you are offering; at least if it is that easy to talk your therapists away. And if ME can't talk them away, then why be bothered by normal, established business practice. They approach the competitions workers and you suggest approaching your competitions customers through picketing. Those customers you scare away are not going to go to Massage Envy's competition if discouraged from entering ME via pickets. They will be mad that they were intimidated into not getting their much wanted massage at Massage Envy. They don't want just any massage; they want ME. It would behoove you to look at the percentage of clients at ME that have had previous massages and want something more -- which ME offers. They already tried the small shop, the therapist in the home, the therapist in the side office of the chiropractor office, the gonna-open-a-facility-on-a-shoestring with junky furniture and mildewy carpet, etc., They like what Massage Envy IS. If you want to compete, model your facility after theirs which is proving to work. Instead of picketing, hand out flyers or place on the windshields of cars in the Massage Envy parking lot. Offer free massage for switching to try you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: I own three clinics. You don't know me. You don't know my therapists. You sure don't know what I care about.

I love Massage Envy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Putting Massage Envy out of business will not garner more business for other therapists. Most clients will just quit going.

Also, prices have gone down for therapists in general for a couple of reasons:
1. The economy. Their just are not as many people working. Isurance because of the economy and elevated mandated costs in other areas have quit covering massage therapy. Those that are still working are working at reduced rates and just won't pay more than what Massage Envy charges. ME saw this and found a business plan to reduce overhead in order to be affordable to today's economy.
2. Their is not a shortage, at all, of therapists. Gone are the days when it was a specialty niche. Face it, therapists are replaceable;easy to replace. This translate to lower wages.

So, thinking Massage Envy is the reason other therapy businesses are not surviving is naive. It is even more naive to think that once they are out of the picture people will be will to pay almost double for a massage. Therapists and massage businesses have gone out of business all across the country in the last three years -- even where Massage Envy has never even been heard of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Hendersonville, Tennessee

24 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: I own three clinics. You don't know me. You don't know my therapists. You sure don't know what I care about.

We have one here and the average pay a therapist receives is 15 to 18 per hour. I mean come on, your charging membership fees that far outweigh what your paying a therapist. Just by this I don't need to know you to know you. Give everyone a freaking break!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

vwells4u in Washington, District of Columbia

21 months ago

Envy? You're full of it. Rule #1 in life. Don't blame other people for your problems. I'm sure it would have been fine if you had been the one who thought of and implemented Massage Envy's extremely successful business model. Look and learn, sweetie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Bltii@me.com in Silver Spring, Maryland

21 months ago

I think it's ok for new therapist fresh out of school. But that means they need to advertise that! I would not work for $15- hr now. But when I was a beginner, sure!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cmtlmorgan in Fair Oaks, California

20 months ago

Nobody cares what you care about when what you do is make it hard for us to make a decent living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

spirithawk111 in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

Please read my post titled Attention!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

step in Raleigh, North Carolina

17 months ago

I am a therapist and lets be honest, the pay scale for therapist does not match the profit margin of the business.I think most therapist are misinformed about the business while in school.They dont understand what you the owner is responsible for.They dont take into account the investment you the owner put into your business.Everything from the franchise fees to the buildout as well as the rent and utility bills.What they do see is the owner make money off of there hard work. If more owners would be mentors instead of slave drivers, therapist would understand. You will always have good therapist that will work for you, but if you help great therapist build build sound business minds your community will prosper as well as your business will grow. Educate ypur staff and they will take care of the business, treat them like slaves and they will act like slaves.They will never love what they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C in San Antonio, Texas

5 months ago

Massage Envy was wonderful when I was a new therapist, but I knew right away that I was being taken advantage of. It is not a bad business, but the goal is to make as much money as possible without spending as much money rather than actually caring about the therapists.

I worked there for almost 5 years, at a few different locations, so I do have experience. Plus, they would offer bonuses yet take a long time to offer a raise. I started working for myself and realized the huge difference in freedom and financial salary. Plus, I did not feel pressured or feel bad because my client rate never met their standards. Everyone was more criticized than appreciated.

Sales is very important yet you do not make much for getting a sell. It is a business more about the money, but most businesses are ran for profit rather than non-profit, so I cannot blame them for making money. Instead, I have chosen to go to college, get my degree in Business Management and continue to strengthen my skills as a massage therapist so I can not only help people , but make a decent salary as well without losing my freedom and independence because I do not plan on working for anyone ever again.

As far as putting Massage Envy out of business, good luck! As long as massage therapists are willing to work for them and people sign up for their memberships, they will always be in business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

707MT in Vacaville, California

3 months ago

anonmous in Freehold said:

"a massage therapist... might be able to structure a respectable franchise that pays massage therapists half of what a massage costs by offering the franchise opportunity for $25,000.00."

Would you please explain that? I don't follow.

"Then, when they go out of business along with the other discount massage franchise chains, you can raise your prices from $40 to $60-70."

That's what Massage Envy is already doing as competitors have been falling away.

"Massage Envy does not make ethical profits in my opinion."

Having worked for numerous clinics, I agree. Case in point, they still pay therapists the same after raising their member and non-member rates, not sharing a single cent of the increased profits with their money-makers (massage therapists).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

step in Raleigh, having worked for several ME's I agree with you, but having been fired for purely greedy reasons by the owners, I'm dubious that any of them will genuinely invest in their therapists. I made an effort to understand the business ins and outs, but the managers and owners were tight-lipped with me, even though I tried to appeal to their side by acknowledging that they bear all the financial risk when starting these businesses. I actually presented a progressive share acquisition plan to one clinic that showed 10 powerful reasons to adopt it. One of them was that it would encourage loyalty in MT staff, afford them to work part time eventually while affording to take excellent care of themselves so they can stay with the company long-term. I've seen clinics that turn tens of thousands of dollars in business away daily because they can't keep or attract enough therapists to operate their clinics at capacity. Small wonder why! But the owners I presented my very sustainable plan to could not wrap their greedy little beans around it.

So I'm looking for fiscally responsible MTs to form a co-op with that will use this plan I designed to form a chain of our own that will put ME to shame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

I've worked at more than three clinics (each with different owners), and I saw they were all the same, greedy, exploiting oppressors who treated therapists like they're a dime a dozen. So tell us something that can SHOW us how you're the exception.

The last clinic I worked for were so unethical they were still paying their MTs the same rate of $15/hr even after the owners raised the member and non-member rates by $10 and $20 respectively. No benefits either. While I was booked about 100% of the time, and for several days out soon after I stated, they were turning droves of business away because they couldn't attract any therapists to operate at capacity. Small wonder why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

chacha in New Paris, Indiana said: ...thinking Massage Envy is the reason other therapy businesses are not surviving is naive. It is even more naive to think that once they are out of the picture people will be will to pay almost double for a massage.

Massage Envy is a virus that manipulated the market, putting competition out of business by significantly undercutting them. In the beginning, their website advertised:

"Why pay $80 or more for the SAME massage?"

And the public bought it hook line and sinker -because the public turned a blind eye to the reality of what this marketing ploy required: the exploitation of MTs. We all know that not all massages (massage therapists) are the same. The typical MT at a ME is either a resentful, burnt out veteran because they don't get paid what they're worth, much less enough to take decent care of their body, having to do 6-8 hours of massage just to barely make ends meet, or they're fresh out of school and will take any work they can get, often times still living with parents. The ad is misleading too because at ME's, there are therapists fresh out of school, and others with 3x the training and over a decade more experience -both getting paid exactly the same to start.

Now that enough massage vendors have gone out of business, ME clinics are raising their rates, and STILL not raising their MT pay to reflect a fair share of the profits.

If you love working for ME, then you're either stupid, insane, or a liar who owns a clinic.

The only way to beat Massage Envy is to charge roughly the same rate, but be more ethical by running the clinic in a employee-ownership (co-op) style, not govern by fear (like ME does over the poor front desk staff who get suffocated by pressure to meet sales quotas), offer a great environment, and dispense with the hidden fees and fine print that complicate membership.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lovie in League City, Texas

3 months ago

People go to ME because they want something for nothing. You can go to a massage school and get a massage that's just as good (if not better) for less than what you'd pay at ME.

Personally, I prefer a SEASONED therapist with a great deal of experience, knowledge and professionalism. That's why I stick with the day spa that I've gone to for years.

I don't mind paying more. I'd rather save my pennies and get a massage once a month, than get a lesser quality massage every other week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.