underpayment and no benefits

Comments (51 to 89 of 89)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

fed up in Wilmette, Illinois

94 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Good job Elsewhere. Ran someone else off. This time one of your own MTs.

Imelda Marcos,
I thought you were not going to particaipate in here anymore, why are you back? Please just go back to your closet and count your shoes!

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

94 months ago

fed up in Wilmette, Illinois said: Imelda Marcos,
I thought you were not going to particaipate in here anymore, why are you back? Please just go back to your closet and count your shoes!

Oh boy....What a good one.

No Name in Lubbock, Texas

94 months ago

Mel in Denton, Texas said: Actually Mary, most jobs don't pay you for breaks. Let;s not get into a conversation about the declining benefits in Corporate America. I would work a 6 hour shift with a 1 hour break. I would get (ON A LOW AVERAGE) a $10 tip per hour. Plus, because I had been there a year, $1 extra per service. Plus $1 for having deep tissue certification... PLUS $1 if it was a request therapist (and it usually was)... So I was averaging ON LOW END, $28/hour. So, let's see... 28 * 5.... $140 every Friday night if not more.

So yeah, I banked. Sorry if your Massage Envy lacked any extra benefits. I lived on this quite nicely with my husband also working there. We only had to work 4 days a week. Maybe your massage therapy skills were lacking, because mine were not.

Why can't you just state your opinions without making negative comments about a fellow therapist?

No Name in Lubbock, Texas

94 months ago

yeah right in Peoria, Arizona said: you live in Lubbock...hahahahaha

What's your point with this comment?

cs_colvin in Woodridge, Illinois

93 months ago

Dumb for believing the ME lies!!!!!!!! in Palatine, Illinois said: Dear Elsewhere, I believe that it is possible to make that much, but why are you bragging about it in here? I'm really new at this and your comment about making a lot of money per massage doesn't encourage me. It leaves me feeling like it's an unlikely uphill climb for me. For right now, I just want to find something that's not ripping me off.

I have lived in Palatine which is not cheap on a number of levels, but massage therapy does not pay well there which is one of the reasons I relocated. When I did work there, within weeks and after a few spa massages I found myself doing outcalls as far as Deerfield and Evanston to make the money that allowed me to do a better job with less physical strain. If you check the Northshore and similar Chicago areas where the demographics are above average, you'll find Elsewhere's feedback is very likely. Why not perceive it as a possible goal? Elsewhere also quoted 25 years experience. You might benefit more from paying attention to someone in the business so long rather than being pessimistic.

Here www.massagewinnetka.com/services.htm you will find these rates:

1/2 Hour $56.00
1 Hour $90.00
1 1/2 Hours $127.50

1 Hour $125.00
1 1/2 Hours $185.00

I hope learning this encourages you since it represents the possibility you can do the same.

Dumb for believing the ME Lies!!!!!! in Palatine, Illinois

93 months ago

cs_colvin in Woodridge, Illinois said: I have lived in Palatine which is not cheap on a number of levels, but massage therapy does not pay well there which is one of the reasons I relocated. When I did work there, within weeks and after a few spa massages I found myself doing outcalls as far as Deerfield and Evanston to make the money that allowed me to do a better job with less physical strain. If you check the Northshore and similar Chicago areas where the demographics are above average, you'll find Elsewhere's feedback is very likely. Why not perceive it as a possible goal? Elsewhere also quoted 25 years experience. You might benefit more from paying attention to someone in the business so long rather than being pessimistic.

Here www.massagewinnetka.com/services.htm you will find these rates:

1/2 Hour $56.00
1 Hour $90.00
1 1/2 Hours $127.50

1 Hour $125.00
1 1/2 Hours $185.00

I hope learning this encourages you since it represents the possibility you can do the same.

Thanks CS, I have heard of these people. Very interesting and it is encouraging!

The Rose in Odessa, Texas

93 months ago

Susan in Daytona Beach, Florida said: If you want to work for $15/hr and perhaps a tip of 5-10 dollars then you may want to rethink this job. They offer no benefits and when I went for my practical I massaged someone who was not a massage therapist.

You all seem to forget that they only charge $39.00 for the hour massage...and they pay all the overhead, make schedules, etc. Percentage-wise they make a lot more than most HMO doctors. Sure places like Huntington Beach Spa charge $140 for a hour massage...the therapist??they get $5-10 per massage, plus tips...seems that ME is being a lot fairer to the therapist, and gives the average joe the chance to have a massage at an available time and an affordable rate.

LMT in Largo, Florida

93 months ago

I have a question for those that DON'T work at ME. How do you advertise to get clients? I try to get referrals by offering my clients a free massage if they refer someone that gets a massage from me. I don't like advertising in the yellow pages or the newspaper or any paper ads because I don't want to draw the weirdo's. I have two regular clients and would like to have at least 3 more regular clients so that I wouldn't HAVE to work at ME anymore. I got those two regular clients from a BNI group that I joined when I first moved here. I think that I'll go back to that group and see what I can do. It's expensive though. $295/year and $15 per week for breakfast dues. Last time I made back my membership within the first month. I sure hope that I can do the same thing this time. There's several more members than when I left last year. I also work at a Chiropractic office part-time. There's already a full-time therapist there, but I take the overload and when she goes on vacation. Not steady work at all. After over 12 years of being a massage therapist, I'm finding it very hard to keep a steady income. People cancel or don't show up for their appointments.
Other therapists have said to charge the client for missed appointments without 24hr. notice, but then I never see it because they don't come back. I need help with marketing.

LMT in Largo, Florida

93 months ago

OOOPS! I'm so sorry. My last post was not on the topic. I guess I'd better read first.

LMT in Largo, Florida

92 months ago

Networking, does that sound familiar to anyone? That's how you make good money being a massage therapist. Talk to people. Join the Chamber of Commerce in your city. Go to public meetings. Do free chair massages at events for charities. Get to know your public and your public will love you and pay for your services. That's what I'm in the process of doing now.
I'm currently working at an ME and I can tell you that I won't be working there much longer. I really love to do massages and help people feel better, but I need to make a living too.

sunnyskies in Menifee, California

92 months ago

Hi susan,
I'm a LMT and I think what ME Pays you is very fair,(for what they charge the clients.)I worked at a very well known spa in southern ca, and they hired me at
30% per service. (massages were $90.00 50 min) when I left I heard they were only paying the new hires 15% per service.( what a joke that is!) Oh and I heard of another well known place in Orange County, Ca that pays you $20.00 per service
and one dollar more if you do deep tissue.( Their massages are over $90.00 for a 50 min service) These places are the scams. ME is a fair place to work I think.
I think you're doing great susan!

sunnyskies in Menifee, California

92 months ago

The Rose in Odessa, Texas said: You all seem to forget that they only charge $39.00 for the hour massage...and they pay all the overhead, make schedules, etc. Percentage-wise they make a lot more than most HMO doctors. Sure places like Huntington Beach Spa charge $140 for a hour massage...the therapist??they get $5-10 per massage, plus tips...seems that ME is being a lot fairer to the therapist, and gives the average joe the chance to have a massage at an available time and an affordable rate.

I totally agree with you!

Gonzalo in South East, Florida

92 months ago

I can clearly see none of you guys are getting the point here. The MARKET is changing. People are making less money, and want more goods and services. It’s been happening for years now, and it has happened to highly educated PHD’s who use to sell stocks in the 80 and 90’s, Doctors who spend 10-15 years of their lives and hundreds of thousands of dollars, and hardships, to find out they will no longer make the easy quarter million the old guys made, cause there are new guys, and more new guys who are willing to do the same for 120k a year. So don’t act like you’re the victims. The way I see it is..ME charges $39 of which the therapist get $15 + a Tip (average of $5, from what I’ve read here) and they are giving you guys the opportunity to make an additional $5 if you did your job right and your client wants to keep coming in to see you ( at which point when he/she requests you specifically because of your excellent talent you will be paid $17. So a client can potentially represent $22-$25 x session and the owner of ME is getting $24. So basically you guys are almost making the same amount as the owner, without the risks involved in having to run a place. How is this the “highway robbery” you guys are making it out to be??? The owner pays rent, insurance, materials, health benefits, electricity, advertising, merchant credit card fees for your tips that you are not being deducted, franchising royalty fees, cost of cleaning linen, not to mention the money hungry banks who charge 12%- 14% interest on an SBA loan for 300k+ to be able to offer you guys a stable clean environment where you are guaranteed constant work, without the hassles of dealing with managing clients, working for free, dealing with landlords, inventory, cleaning bills for linen, and running a business.

Luv of MT in Long Beach, New York

89 months ago

Mel, Dallas Texas in Denton, Texas said: One must think about the downsides and upsides to a Massage Envy. $15 an hour does not sound like much.. but RARELY, do any of us make the $65-$75 an house that we were promised in school. If you do, GOOD JOB! What the heck is your overhead costs? I've been working at a Massage Envy for over a year now and like most, have had some issues. But THINK about it people. You went to school for a small amount of time- A massage therapy license is NOT a degree. Most jobs with degree requirements don't have benefits. Stop thinking that they are out there. At these times, it's nice to be a massage therapist in a GUARENTEED schedule with little to no downtime in appointments. I like having a booked schedule that personally, all I have to do is massage. If you run your own place, you do everything else. I get to just spend time with my clients. WHICH IS THE POINT OF MASSAGE THERAPY. If you really think you are one of the minute few that can work for $100 an hour, with little to no overhead, GET OVER IT. It's a good, decent JOB for a massage therapist. I have WORKED for 50% commission and did not get anywhere NEAR this amount of money.

Your are sadly mis-informed

Iam a Massage Therapist in NY and I have recieved my AOS Degree in Massge Therapy I also have my State Lic. MT's can make anywhere from a low $33 to high $100+ 1hr massage. I have personally make up to $200 aday in tips alone. In NY you need 1000hrs just to sit for your State Lic. I didnt go to school for 2 years taking medical and hands-on classes in Eastern and Western techniques to recieve $15 or $28 1hr massage. Massage Envy should be ashamed of themselves. We are Health Professionals, We work in Hostipals, Health Rehab centers, Doctors offices as well as Gyms & Spas. To discount Massage Treatments like a pair of jeans is an INSULT. Maybe if we raised our standards, places like Massge Envy wouldnt have the chance to demean our profession.

RLMK414 in Savannah, Georgia

89 months ago

Luv of MT in Long Beach, New York said: Your are sadly mis-informed

Iam a Massage Therapist in NY and I have recieved my AOS Degree in Massge Therapy I also have my State Lic. MT's can make anywhere from a low $33 to high $100+ 1hr massage. I have personally make up to $200 aday in tips alone. In NY you need 1000hrs just to sit for your State Lic. I didnt go to school for 2 years taking medical and hands-on classes in Eastern and Western techniques to recieve $15 or $28 1hr massage. Massage Envy should be ashamed of themselves. We are Health Professionals, We work in Hostipals, Health Rehab centers, Doctors offices as well as Gyms & Spas. To discount Massage Treatments like a pair of jeans is an INSULT. Maybe if we raised our standards, places like Massge Envy wouldnt have the chance to demean our profession.

Thank you, Luv - well said.

Fed Up in Wilmette, Illinois

89 months ago

Well said, therapists need to have more self-respect and look more carfully before working for companies like this. Schools do have to also raise the bar to help their students prepare for the workforce more comprehensively.

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

89 months ago

Mel, Dallas Texas in Denton, Texas said: One must think about the downsides and upsides to a Massage Envy. $15 an hour does not sound like much.. but RARELY, do any of us make the $65-$75 an house that we were promised in school. If you do, GOOD JOB! What the heck is your overhead costs? I've been working at a Massage Envy for over a year now and like most, have had some issues. But THINK about it people. You went to school for a small amount of time- A massage therapy license is NOT a degree. Most jobs with degree requirements don't have benefits. Stop thinking that they are out there. At these times, it's nice to be a massage therapist in a GUARENTEED schedule with little to no downtime in appointments. I like having a booked schedule that personally, all I have to do is massage. If you run your own place, you do everything else. I get to just spend time with my clients. WHICH IS THE POINT OF MASSAGE THERAPY. If you really think you are one of the minute few that can work for $100 an hour, with little to no overhead, GET OVER IT. It's a good, decent JOB for a massage therapist. I have WORKED for 50% commission and did not get anywhere NEAR this amount of money.

Mel: I'm guessing that most therapists that work at ME feel the same way (if not go work somewhere else) but most of the therapists that post here are not going to agree with you. This (apparently) is a forum wherein most posters believe that if you don't make at least $30/session hour (not includeing tip) you are underpaid.

PeaceMassage in Anonymous Proxy

88 months ago

I checked several profiles on MassageAnywhere.com and I can totally see that rates vary from state to state. I think that supply and demand is behind all of this. I also checked out some of the profiles outside the US and found that they are on par with NY & California. I think I'm going to move, go into business for myself and list my profile on MassageAnywhere.com

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey

88 months ago

Hello again everyone. I was getting about 10 - 20 email alert thingies from this site regarding new posts, and now suddenly get none. I might have forgetten to click "email me when new comments are added," so I have done that now hoping that this resumes working again.

88 months ago

RLMK414 in Savannah, Georgia said: Thank you, Luv - well said.

Massage Envy should be ashamed of themselves -- you are right. They use supply and demand to take advantage of massage therapists. I am going to use supply and demand to take advantage of Massage Envy -- whoever starts a massage union is likely to get thousands of members. I already emailed the AFL-CIO about this, but did not hear back. I will be calling them Monday. I do not have the capital right now to start one as I invested a lot in my business which is not protifable yet, but this is high on my list. I just want to make it happen or see it happen even if someone else starts the union which will call for strikes against Massage Envy.

Janey in Lubbock, Texas

86 months ago

When I went to interview I was first told I would be paid $25 per massage plus benefits after 90 days. $25 is underpayment but I was willing to give it a try. I did a massage on the manager who is not a Massage Therapist and in my opinion not qualified. After I was hired the pay was not $25 but $15 and no benefits. I turned down the job. In my opinion, to work there would be selling yourself short.

Janey in Lubbock, Texas

86 months ago

katie in Sammamish, Washington said: Massage Envy cheapens the profession. When they came to my area several of us in the community who had recently started practices had to explain to our clients why we couldn't possibly afford to give them a massage for $35. Good luck to those of you that can afford to live on $15 a massage - I certainly couldn't. I'd have to kill my body in order to make enough to feed myself and that is NOT why I got into massage! I can tell you I'm not in it for the money but I'm also not in it to be on welfare. $15/hr might be good money in some areas but here it's pretty much poverty.

I agree with you. It is not about the money but we all have to eat and we have to take care of ourselves and our bodies.

I can only speak from experience about this Massage Envy here in Lubbock. They are more interested in you turning a profit for them than your welfare or the clients welfare.

Janey in Lubbock, Texas

86 months ago

I have my own business and I make 3x more in a day than anyone I know working for Massage Envy and working a lot less. Sure, they work a full day and get their measly $15 per massage hour while I do 3 or 4 massages a day on my own schedule and even with my overhead I make much more than they do. But, the bottom line here is not the money but rather what are you or anyone doing to your body working the hours you have to work to make a living for $15 an hour? Sorry, but my health is much more important than that.

And as far as what we were told in school, they told us in my school that you have to work at a business to make it successful. It doesn't just come to you.

But if you are happy then more power to you.

Janey in Lubbock, Texas

86 months ago

Mel in Denton, Texas said: Actually Mary, most jobs don't pay you for breaks. Let;s not get into a conversation about the declining benefits in Corporate America. I would work a 6 hour shift with a 1 hour break. I would get (ON A LOW AVERAGE) a $10 tip per hour. Plus, because I had been there a year, $1 extra per service. Plus $1 for having deep tissue certification... PLUS $1 if it was a request therapist (and it usually was)... So I was averaging ON LOW END, $28/hour. So, let's see... 28 * 5.... $140 every Friday night if not more.

So yeah, I banked. Sorry if your Massage Envy lacked any extra benefits. I lived on this quite nicely with my husband also working there. We only had to work 4 days a week. Maybe your massage therapy skills were lacking, because mine were not.

$28 an hour is, in my opinion, selling yourself short. If you have the skills you are saying you do, then why not use them and make the kind of money you deserve? Just sayin'.

Working at Massage Envy, you may have a full schedule but you aren't maing much money at the end of the day as one who gets paid 3 times that much.

Janey in Lubbock, Texas

86 months ago

No Name in Lubbock, Texas said: So you "massaged someone who was not a massage therapist" for the practical. Most of the people who come to the massage therapy schools for the internship massages are not massage therapists either.

And you sound just like the manager that lied to me when you tried to hire me. Maybe it isn't you but I'm thinkin' you are. :)

Janey in Lubbock, Texas

86 months ago

LMT Susan in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: Saturday I worked my shift, had a full schedule and made $60 in tips. 3 people only tipped $5, but I also got a $20 and $25 dollar tip. I was there for 7 hours that comes to $21.40 an hour. This is actually lower than my average due to the low tippers I had today.
I have never been under the illusion that the company or owner cares about me...it is my responsibility to take care of myself. I schedule regular massages and make sure my schedule requirements are made. ie: I get breaks when I need them, work the days I want to work etc.
No, ME is NOT the greatest job, the pay could be much better, but I have been really enjoying working there and now after only working there 3 months have started to get job offers. I will probably make a move but I still think it is not a bad place to work. You can get experience or use it to start to move into the field from another field. Several of the therapist have other jobs and work part time to get experience and supplement their income.
You can call BS if you want but this is my experience. I have 18 years experience in the massage field and I get rave reviews at work. I have a lot of requests and large tips. I changed to doing massage full time just this year.
I guess some of you only want to welcome people that agree with you that ME "is the devil" I think it is a stepping stone. The experience I am getting is invaluable. Also I have learned what I want to do different when I open my own clinic. (better pay for therapist at the top of the list)

I can only speak for me and no one else and I worked in Corporate America a long time. Franchises are all different. It all depends on the Manager. I know about the ME in Lubbock only and that is what I have referred to in all my posts. It appears that other ME around the country are no better. If you are happy and your ME is different then you should do what is best for you.

Janey in Lubbock, Texas

86 months ago

The Rose in Odessa, Texas said: You all seem to forget that they only charge $39.00 for the hour massage...and they pay all the overhead, make schedules, etc. Percentage-wise they make a lot more than most HMO doctors. Sure places like Huntington Beach Spa charge $140 for a hour massage...the therapist??they get $5-10 per massage, plus tips...seems that ME is being a lot fairer to the therapist, and gives the average joe the chance to have a massage at an available time and an affordable rate.

ME charges $39.95 for their members but the members also pay $49 a month whether they get a massage or not. There are other places here in Lubbock that pay all the overhead, etc. and they pay their Therapist 60/40 at some places and 70/30 at others. $15.00 an hour for a Therapist is selling yourself cheap.

BrokeSadMT in San Diego, California

85 months ago

Has anyone used the OptiMed Health Plan?
I don't think it is real health insurance, I think it is just a medical discount plan.

old timer LMT

85 months ago

Hurray for you! I, too, don't wish to be "cheapened" by this company

spice spizzle in atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

this is a reply to all, instead of fighting therapist vs therapist those who want to get rid of corporations that do not respect the ethics and spirit of "the massage therapist" a sensitive being whose duty is to connect with the transcedental in all things in a positive way then why dont we organize to get laws in our favor to attain the respect our field deserves like, actors, electicians, carpenters. we have boards that want to test our knowledge but do they stand up for therapist with their reputations? they do charge us money though, correct? AMTA, NBMTB, FSMTB etc;. If they claim authority and hold rank in this BUSINESS(not yelling) then why can't they [the boards] protect this field along with our united support and efforts to let the corps' know what we CAN agree with. everyone deserves healthcare thats why we exist right? to improve lifestyles from all walks. I've worked for massage envy until I began to teach, there will be yins and yangs everywhere. But if we organize and improve the field moreso as it grows and becomes more corporate we will eventually become empowered like we desired, when we began the therapist journey for world peace and health. Please do not fight take action join together and bring forward the esoteric and energetic center of why we give blood to the populace through this sacred art. Lets us own and govern our profession-peace

Michele

84 months ago

Mel,

How long have you been a massage therapist? so working for 15.00 a massage is ok with you? well I am here to tell you to make a good living you are going to have to do 30 - 40 massages a week, to keep this pace for any length of time is not realistic. Massage envy pay scale is not set up that way anyhow if you sit more hours then you work you get paid mininum wage. right? right! Massage envy is an insult to the Massage profession and to the professional massage therapist that work our butts off to help others. So Mel when you have been in the business as long as I have 17+ yrs hopefully you will last that long working for slave labor, then tell the rest of us Therapist how wonderful Massage Envy is, they should be put out of business for good.

Michele

84 months ago

Gina in Denver, Colorado said: I worked at a Massage Envy for almost a year. The owner is a former CEO who, I believe, saw it as a get rich quick sceme. I imagine he's pretty shocked to find out that he has to actually WORK. The front desk staff were all untrained and one in particular like to boss the therapists around and she had a power trip. After multiple complaints and talking to her about "being nicer to people," do you think they fired her? No, they gave her a promotion to night manager. No, I'm not kidding. There were days when although I was scheduled within my set boundaries, I still felt like I was being worked to death. And, the clients most of the time were horrible. I was in a richer part of town and the clients were so snobby.

And then the pay was pathetic: $16 per hour massage. Raises could be up to a dollar. But then what can you expect of the McDonald's of the Massage World?

One of my friends still works there. She tells me that the front desk has been misleading the clients on the membership program and people have been cancelling. The idiot owner has been blaming the therapists.

I do not recommend this place to anyone. Period.

Gina,

I have had that same experience at the Massage Envy where I used to work, but another twist is that the owner allowed a front desk person that is still in school to massage unsuspecting clients.

84 months ago

Mel:
Are you a Communist? You stated that Massage Therapists should make less than someone with a degree. Why do you sell yourself short like that? What degree prepares somoene for what we do? In our capitalist system, we are supposed to make a good living. Part of being a professional is charging enough to cover your overhead, keep your doors open, provide quality, and yes, realize a profit. Profit is not a bad word (unless you are a Communist and you feel that all monies should go to the government). You do not have to be the guy who charges $100 a massage -- you can be in private practice charging $50 or $60 a visit if you are more comfortable with that -- you can also work for the places that pay 50 % (ones that are busier than where you had tried) or places that pay at least $27.50 per massage. Anything less than that and you are selling yourself and your field short. You put down massage therapists for wanting their due that greedy Massage Envy does not want to pay.

bbspy in rowlett, Texas

84 months ago

Not that I want to stick up for Mel and there lackk of self respect but a little history Texas as of 9/07 just agreed to a 500hr education. They were only schooling for 300 thats with 50hr of clinic time. With that said if your education is lacking then I guess Mel is worth what Eassage envy wants to pay them. My self I'm a transplant from CT with an education of 750 school hours and another 6 weeks in hospital clinic. I find it very hard to find respect as a NCTMB and LMT in the "great st. of tx". Slowly but surly tearing down the walls of ignorance.

jnjlmt in Cincinnati, Ohio

80 months ago

elsewhere in Burbank, California said: No Susan it's not. It may seem that way to someone averaging $21.00 an hour at Massage Envy in Spring Hill, Tennessee but the truth is there are those of us thWhy is that so hard for you to believe? Snip The going rate for high end outcall in Southern California. Look it up if you don't believe me. Go to "massageanywhere.com" and punch in the zip codes 90210, 90046 or 91423, these are some of the areas I work in. I work on most of the top names in the film business and have for 25 years.
Snio
It's not uncommon at all and for you to say it is shows a great lack of awareness about what the potential is in this field. A few months back I got a call to go to Palm Springs to work on a top director. It's a 2 hour drive for me but I got paid $1000.00 for my troubles. It was fun and I had a great day. Deal with it.

Actually, potential varies by location. CA is very different from the South or Midwest. And part of the reason you can make $100 per hour is because you are in an area where Massage THERAPY is more accepted as a therapeutic practice (rather than a luxury - or sex work) and where the standard of living is higher.

You can charge that much in Palm Springs and the OC and Beverly Hills, not so much in other parts of the US.

And I really believe that your comparing your High-end clientele (and expensive zip codes) to places in the midwest and south shows an amazing lack of awareness on your part.

no mask in Walterboro, South Carolina

64 months ago

Susan in Daytona Beach, Florida said: If you want to work for $15/hr and perhaps a tip of 5-10 dollars then you may want to rethink this job. They offer no benefits and when I went for my practical I massaged someone who was not a massage therapist.

Note how may comments of interest on this subject, and the real reason? Maybe there is something that needs adjusting, whether it be safety and self care, or most likely a combination of wages, insurance, safety and most of all an employer or franchise owner who cares. Because of the pressure to perform as a therapist who makes only light contact with each and every client, because of time limitations, you do not have adequate time for an efficient intake form, and soap notes.You are not given anything except a client to massage, released to pay someone eles.It's a hi and bye puppy producing chain of workplaces. And if you are an introvert, you do not like responsibility, do not like listening beyond your hands and fingers,intently caring about your clients you will just love it there. On my own, I have my dignity and professionalism. I can spend more than enough time on initial consultation, with review, and an opportunity for honest comments of satisfaction and or likes and dislikes. I have my own soap notes, really having my own clients, that no one eles won over but me.There is no other joy than to actually hear the comments of the person just massaged, as they write comments in my collection book. This is what I read when the gremlin attacks and my feelings of "Gee am I helping anyone, anywhere?" come along. I do the marketing, the promotions, the late night ads online, the toil, the weeds and the harvest is mine. I leave this comment.You are a great professional, with passion and enthusiasm. Chiropractors hire you. You are worth more than you realize. Massage is not yet come of age. Build your faith in yourself. You are irreplaceable. Like it was said prior to hurricane Hugo,"Get out, get out now"

beenaroundtheblock in Scottsdale, Arizona

59 months ago

yeah right in Peoria, Arizona said: shut up about check your heart. I would be fine with a barter system with everyone I do business with. It's not the money. If massage envy's heart was in the right place, they may actually pay a typical 60/40 split. but no, that would cut the owner's profit...so check YOUR brains

Have been called for a CA in the Peoria Store owned by the Cooks. Did you work for them? Do they require the CA's to do massage? I have been an LMT for 15 years and just moved here. Can you give me any info since all I hear or read about ME is pretty negative.

stjohnbaby in Mercer Island, Washington

56 months ago

katie in Sammamish, Washington said: Massage Envy cheapens the profession. When they came to my area several of us in the community who had recently started practices had to explain to our clients why we couldn't possibly afford to give them a massage for $35. Good luck to those of you that can afford to live on $15 a massage - I certainly couldn't. I'd have to kill my body in order to make enough to feed myself and that is NOT why I got into massage! I can tell you I'm not in it for the money but I'm also not in it to be on welfare. $15/hr might be good money in some areas but here it's pretty much poverty.

I am a licensed Aesthetician,(CA,Nv,and Wash)It is the therapists,and I include hairdressers in this who have "settled" for an hourly wage,excuse me why did we all work so hard to get a license so we would not have to work for an hourly wage,and have some control over our financial futures?Who started this? As a result someone like myself who is highly skilled and educated has to work my way through a sea of unskilled people and employers who want to exploit my talent,I think not.What all therapists need to do is learn how to sell themselves,products,and services and not be afraid to work on straight commission!It is fear that causes people to settle for an hourly wage,if you cant do it dont bring down the long held standard of a commission only job,by asking for an hourly wage!!! And you are right $15.00 an hour is POVERTY!

UshersLMT in UshersLMT, Mississippi

27 months ago

Back to the orignal topic, I've worked at 3 places total and Massage Envy has been my favorite of all of them. I get plenty of rest and self care time in between each, my average is about $25 an hour, and I get some benefits which help. In my area, nurses start at $19 an hour with a 2 year degree. So making $25 an hour (8.50 when I'm not working hands on) is great for me.

Everyone's experiences will be different, if you go into any interview or workplace having read negative things about it with the fixation in your mind that it will be a negative experience then it will. At this time in my life, this is where I need to be and I feel good helping others at the same time. I feel compensated fairly. I could be working washing dishes at 7.25 or be doing what I love for quadruple. I still do some outcalls($80) on the side but not too often.

The pay is structured like this. If you don't have liability insurance, you can get a cheaper rate from ABMT through Massage Envy. The base is $15/massage and if you are not working then 8.50 sitting around for the next appointment. You get $1 extra if your requested $2 extra if they upgrade. $5 extra if they become members. After they leave ME sends them a survey and the client rates your performance. For every 100 score you get, your CEU fund will get $10. Around here CEU's are $60 for a 3-6 hour class. I do about 6 massages a day so I can make one of these classes quickly.

Whichever is the highest at the end of the two week period is what you get. I bring home monthly about $2,400-$2,800 after taxes. My home is paid for, my car is paid for, I have no bills or debt so while this isn't enough for most of you out there, it is far plenty for me. I hope my information helps someone.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.