What's the company culture at McDonald's?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at McDonald's?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at McDonald's?

Reply - Report abuse

writer61 in Lafayette, Indiana

87 months ago

IF you're lucky, someone brings in cookies, muffins or brownies once or twice a week for everyone ( Permiited only in breakroom, of course) Once a month, we get pizza. A typical day varies. Mondays this month we're giving a free medium coffee out to customers only ( we have to pay for ours on discount- and it's NOT included for our 1 meal per shift)- it can get hectic, but I've had worse jobs in my lifetime. For Halloween we got to wear costumes- that was fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ex MCD guy in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at McDonald's?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at McDonald's?

Most people at the corporate office in Oak Brook dress business casual but it's a little dressier than most places I've worked that have been business casual.

The McDonald's culture is work, work, work. It's incredibly important to network and make connections. There's a performance system which is a joke and is used as a way to justify getting raises and bonuses for bosses and their favorites. While that's kind of true in most places, it's done to an outrageous degree at McDonald's.

There's a wink and a nod given to the idea of work / life balance but if you try to balance your personal and work lives, forget about advancing or getting good jobs. In the Corporate Office there are short Fridays during the summer but I was seldom able to take advantage of them because there was always too much to do. Managers also make it very clear that their way is the only way to do things. McDonald's is incredibly inbred and if you're not born and bred McDonald's, you definitely start out with 2 strikes against you.

McDonald's makes a big deal of proclaiming how important their people are but the experience of employees doesn't bear that out. It's pretty much work people until they burn out then find some way to get rid of them. It's incredibly stressful, especially considering that McDonald's is just selling hamburgers, not trying to make the world a better place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.