TEMP AGENCIES

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Anoymous in Richmond, Virginia

93 months ago

I know what you'll are going through dealing with these temp agencies. My suggestion is to PLEASE keep sending your resume out to the actual companies that advertise on websites like monster, etc. Also, try your local schools, airports, and state and county governments. Do research and just DO NOT give up on applying. Do not rely on agenices because as we can read, they are not very resourceful, helpful, or honest. I am majoring in human resources and the comments are good feedback because when I become a recruiter, I certainly do not want to fall into the categories that I have read on this forum. I think there should be some kind of law on these agencies posting false positions and wasting people's time. I have been to agencies with very impressive skills and a very good education and the recruiters they have to interview are unbelieveable! They are not experienced and a degree does not justify you always be in a position. I have spent hours in their offices testing and filling out paperwork (which is ridicolous) and never hear from most of them. I learned and I do not respond to most when they call or send an email. I am very respectful of others and I expect the same of my time, etc. It has been an eye-opener to read that others have experienced what I have.

The bottom line is use all resources available to you and apply directly to the company whenever you can. I, sincerely, wish you'll good luck. I, too, am seeking employment and I know I will find a match for me and more than likely, it will not be from using an agency. God Bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Irving, Texas

93 months ago

Anoymous said: I know what you'll are going through dealing with these temp agencies. My suggestion is to PLEASE keep sending your resume out to the actual companies that advertise on websites like monster, etc. Also, try your local schools, airports, and state and county governments. Do research and just DO NOT give up on applying. Do not rely on agenices because as we can read, they are not very resourceful, helpful, or honest. I am majoring in human resources and the comments are good feedback because when I become a recruiter, I certainly do not want to fall into the categories that I have read on this forum. I think there should be some kind of law on these agencies posting false positions and wasting people's time. I have been to agencies with very impressive skills and a very good education and the recruiters they have to interview are unbelieveable! They are not experienced and a degree does not justify you always be in a position. I have spent hours in their offices testing and filling out paperwork (which is ridicolous) and never hear from most of them. I learned and I do not respond to most when they call or send an email. I am very respectful of others and I expect the same of my time, etc. It has been an eye-opener to read that others have experienced what I have.
The bottom line is use all resources available to you and apply directly to the company whenever you can. I, sincerely, wish you'll good luck. I, too, am seeking employment and I know I will find a match for me and more than likely, it will not be from using an agency. God Bless!

You are truly inspiring. God Bless you in all that you do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Blu in Montebello, California

90 months ago

Anoymous in Richmond, Virginia said: I know what you'll are going through dealing with these temp agencies. My suggestion is to PLEASE keep sending your resume out to the actual companies that advertise on websites like monster, etc. Also, try your local schools, airports, and state and county governments. Do research and just DO NOT give up on applying. Do not rely on agenices because as we can read, they are not very resourceful, helpful, or honest. I am majoring in human resources and the comments are good feedback because when I become a recruiter, I certainly do not want to fall into the categories that I have read on this forum. I think there should be some kind of law on these agencies posting false positions and wasting people's time. I have been to agencies with very impressive skills and a very good education and the recruiters they have to interview are unbelieveable! They are not experienced and a degree does not justify you always be in a position. I have spent hours in their offices testing and filling out paperwork (which is ridicolous) and never hear from most of them. I learned and I do not respond to most when they call or send an email. I am very respectful of others and I expect the same of my time, etc. It has been an eye-opener to read that others have experienced what I have.

I have gone through the same thing with these agencies. I have sent many resumes out to them and never hear from them. I filter my search to look for direct companies only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth

89 months ago

I worked for a temporary agency for 6 years as a temporary at the same Client. "The Bartech Group" (using the The will elminate the junk searches.) Now hopefully the rest of their company is as reliable as the one that I have dealt with all of these years. I can still call them and they know me by nickname when they pick up the phone. I have also kept my 401K with them and haven't bothered to transfer it, my level of trust is so great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

emm in Plano, Texas

85 months ago

Temp agencies didn't used to be this way. I got quality work through agencies in Va. in 2000 and since then, all I've found is agencies with NO JOBS that require you to come in and then tell you they'll call you when they have work..and never, ever do.

I was sent to ONE job after that. I walked in on my third day and was told 'umm..they didn't tell you?' I called my agency and was told that the client didn't want me anymore because I wasn't 'motivated.' Never, EVER been fired or told that in my life, and walked home in tears. To this day I won't bother with agencies, they're b.s.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy Guerriero in Goodyear, Arizona

84 months ago

There is a lot questionable business practices out there. I am the Division Director of Robert Half Management Resources in Phoenix. We work hard for our consultants and clients. Our job is exhausting. We have grown our business by 125% in 6 months. Our team sets clear expectations. We do not post 'fake' jobs. We advise consultants and clients that we are not their best resource when approprate. Now ask me how many times a consultant or client has done us wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

samgirl in Somewhere, Illinois

84 months ago

I think people think the jobs are fake because they do not get a reponse. More than likely, the applicant doesn't meet the specific requirements for that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brugandy40yarder rolloff in California

45 months ago

I have a stellar employment record but was downsized out out 3 accounting jobs over my working years. During these "down times" between "real" jobs I worked for temp/staffing agencies. One time I was placed "temp. to hire" by an agency at a company which they talked up about how great it was. Once I started working there I was told by other workers that the position I was filling had had 15 people in it in the last two years. Hmmm. I wondered why. Well I soon found out. All wnet well and they wanted to hire me after the 90 day temp. to hire position. They knew I was a good, educated,reliable employee. I accepted the offer and of course the staffinga gency got a buy out fee. Not two weeks after I was hired permantley the CFO (which was the owners daughter) verbally abused me, I ended up crying in the bathroom. She had been so nice when I was "temp.". I had never been talked to liek that in all my working years ! So I found out why the could not keep staff ! I quit 2 weeks later- I refused to be intimidated by this woman, I was not paid enough to put up with that BS. This is not an untypical " staffing agency" story. Beware.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Manchester, Maine

43 months ago

I worked for a local temp agency while I was out of work...this was one of the most unprofessional, high-school-ish places I've ever had the displeasure of working with.

They always advertise jobs, jobs, jobs, potential job openings, but when you put in your resume....no hits. No rapid responses. If you want any kind of follow-up calls, you need to make them yourself. It's no exaggeration to say that I went WEEKS without getting any job leads from them, even when calling DAILY. Someone from there always says they'll "shoot an email" to the job contact you need to speak with...and then you may or may not hear back.

To them, you're just a throwaway person.

When I took a full-time job with another company (since they weren't placing me with anything viable), they got pissed and tried to get my unemployment denied, saying that I had refused jobs through them, which wasn't true. I have never been treated with such disrespect in my entire life.

There are only a few temp agencies in our area, and I'm not going to disclose which one it is...but I know I'm not the only one who's been through this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

brugandy40yarder rolloff in California

42 months ago

Anonymous in Manchester, Maine said: I worked for a local temp agency while I was out of work...this was one of the most unprofessional, high-school-ish places I've ever had the displeasure of working with.

They always advertise jobs, jobs, jobs, potential job openings, but when you put in your resume....no hits. No rapid responses. If you want any kind of follow-up calls, you need to make them yourself. It's no exaggeration to say that I went WEEKS without getting any job leads from them, even when calling DAILY. Someone from there always says they'll "shoot an email" to the job contact you need to speak with...and then you may or may not hear back.

To them, you're just a throwaway person.

When I took a full-time job with another company (since they weren't placing me with anything viable), they got pissed and tried to get my unemployment denied, saying that I had refused jobs through them, which wasn't true. I have never been treated with such disrespect in my entire life.

There are only a few temp agencies in our area, and I'm not going to disclose which one it is...but I know I'm not the only one who's been through this.

Many of the "jobs" these temp agencies advertise are real. They post jobs so people will sign up with them and submit resumes, they get your resume and then they "shop it around" to companies in hopes that these companies will contract for their services (even when these compnaies don't have job opneings themselves)...the temp. agency is using your resume (without your persmission mind you) to drum up business for themselves in many cases. And of course if you ask about a certain job you really wanted they they had advertised theyw ill tell you " oh we filled that already, or oh you are not quite qualified or what they are looking for " etc. Its all a big game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

gregory mines in Richmond, Virginia

24 months ago

I NEED A JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nadia in Cookeville, Tennessee

18 months ago

Anoymous in Richmond, Virginia said: I know what you'll are going through dealing with these temp agencies. My suggestion is to PLEASE keep sending your resume out to the actual companies that advertise on websites like monster, etc. Also, try your local schools, airports, and state and county governments. Do research and just DO NOT give up on applying. Do not rely on agenices because as we can read, they are not very resourceful, helpful, or honest. I am majoring in human resources and the comments are good feedback because when I become a recruiter, I certainly do not want to fall into the categories that I have read on this forum. I think there should be some kind of law on these agencies posting false positions and wasting people's time. I have been to agencies with very impressive skills and a very good education and the recruiters they have to interview are unbelieveable! They are not experienced and a degree does not justify you always be in a position. I have spent hours in their offices testing and filling out paperwork (which is ridicolous) and never hear from most of them. I learned and I do not respond to most when they call or send an email. I am very respectful of others and I expect the same of my time, etc. It has been an eye-opener to read that others have experienced what I have.

I agree..I've been going through hell with temp agencys and how does one trust they even send your resume out? I also agree...that they do post false information and should be a law against it.

I wish there would be a lawyer who has the guts to stand up for our rights and sue some of these places.!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.