What's the company culture at Meijer?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Meijer?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Meijer?

Reply - Report abuse

CHARLES in Grand Rapids, Michigan

88 months ago

No, no and no. It's a horrible culture. USED to be good....now, it's ride em' beat em' use em' then fire em' . I can personally guarantee more than 80% of the employees in the corporate office would be gone given the chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

M.E. in Hopkins, Michigan

88 months ago

This is what I've heard too from especially IT people that used to work there. I love shopping at the stores, but I don't think I'd apply for corporate IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

E. in Grand Rapids, Michigan

88 months ago

I work at HQ and I love it. Some people are more manageable than others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

J. G. in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

86 months ago

I work at a Meijer in Chicagoland. The pay for hourly employees is atrocious. The turnover is staggering. Hourly employees are frequently given the workload of two or three employees. Meijer is going through another round off mid-management layoffs, so this situation will only worsen. They claim to embrace the value of "familyness" (which isn't even a real word) but, no matter, as it is just a bunch of meaningless corporate-speak. All that matters is profit and expansion. The employees are disposable. I could go on and on about how awful it is to work at Meijer now. I will be leaving the first opportunity I get, as most people do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Midwest

86 months ago

I worked for a large suplier to Meijers - basicly, Meijers said jump, and my employer said "how High"? Meijers was devious, confrontational. One of their dept. managers was a coke-head, mean & paranoid. I put in 20+ years, before I left. The only worse outfit I serviced was Walmart. Their store management was all of the above, plus delusional!Many of them were barely H.S grads, and bought into WM taking you to financial heaven, if you toed the line. It would be funny, were it not so evil and insidious !I always said, I'd collect garbage off the curbs before I'd work retail !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Midwest

86 months ago

E. in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I work at HQ and I love it. Some people are more manageable than others.

Yeah, those with an agenda, or someone who's in the job because they KNOW somebody !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

j in Howell, Michigan

86 months ago

E. in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I work at HQ and I love it. Some people are more manageable than others.
If you loveit, why are on this website?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

likesprettyflowers in Indianapolis, Indiana

72 months ago

I worked at Meijer and walked out after 2 months.I have never had a job where I felt that disposable and unimportant.When I quit my manager said she was tired of people like me taking one look at the job and leaving.I told her "there's a reason" and just walked past her while she was still talking.I have never been that rude to anyone at work but I just couldn't take anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marvin in Elwood, Indiana

66 months ago

Hm - I work at a Sears and applied to Meijers here and waiting for an interview.

Seems like all retail is the same to me.

My question is the pay better and can you get more work hours?

Sears is giving alot of employees only 3 hours a week! Some are getting 2 - 3 hour shifts a week - total is 6 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jeepbikergirl in Wisconsin

7 months ago

How many hours do you have to work at Meijer to get health benefits?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.