What's the company culture at Menards?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Menards?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Menards?

Reply - Report abuse

Frank Monarch in Wooster, Ohio

69 months ago

I have been given a job at Menard's, and although I've not yet begun work there I have gone through their orientation. But after my session I'm beginning to have my doubts. The leader of this training session was not very thorough, and it was obvious she did not expect too many questions to be asked. We were shown two videos, both of which the sound was of poor quality and difficult to hear. The safety training video was a joke. It covered five or six topics in less than 15 minutes, and was much too cursory. I doubt if any of us in the session retained much, if anything, from it. This HR representative then saved the best for last. Which was the declaration that we all would be expected to work from 8 AM 'till 9 PM Monday through Friday for the three weeks of store set-up. At the conclusion of the session I left with the feeling that, just like the other big-box businesses, employees are looked upon as just bodies to fill a slot, with little concern for their wellbeing, and are shown little respect. As a new employee I'm curious if my assessment is anywhere near correct, or if I've made a terrible misjudgment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Typical in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

64 months ago

I've been with the company for 10 years, both at the store and corporate. To answer your questions on the office environment..

-Dress: Business casual, varies by postion. Most wear polos and khakis. Jeans are acceptable. I've never seen anyone in a suit.

-From personal observations, people that work together tend to go out after work- softball, bowling leagues, etc. It tends to be a "work hard play hard" group.

-The culture could be described as- when you're at work, you work. All business. After work, those "serious" people you worked with all day let loose and have a good time.

-People tend to be judged on results. Get your job done, and you'll love your job. It is very demanding but if you can handle it, you'll like your job and get paid nicely for it. Most office jobs are incentive bonus based on top of the hourly pay so if you carry out your duties to the company's expectations you'll make above average pay.

As for the "bodies" comment- yes, you'll work long hours during a new store setup, but the pay is hourly and after 3 weeks you're on a normal schedule. The setup is fast paced and you're expected to give it your all every day to make the deadline. The store is going to open no matter what, so working the hard hours is necessary. Many people that start with the company at the setup that work hard get noticed and are promoted to supervisory roles within months- I've seen it countless times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

harleysh in Sedalia, Missouri

60 months ago

Typical in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: I've been with the company for 10 years, both at the store and corporate. To answer your questions on the office environment..

-Dress: Business casual, varies by postion. Most wear polos and khakis. Jeans are acceptable. I've never seen anyone in a suit.

-From personal observations, people that work together tend to go out after work- softball, bowling leagues, etc. It tends to be a "work hard play hard" group.

-The culture could be described as- when you're at work, you work. All business. After work, those "serious" people you worked with all day let loose and have a good time.

-People tend to be judged on results. Get your job done, and you'll love your job. It is very demanding but if you can handle it, you'll like your job and get paid nicely for it. Most office jobs are incentive bonus based on top of the hourly pay so if you carry out your duties to the company's expectations you'll make above average pay.

As for the "bodies" comment- yes, you'll work long hours during a new store setup, but the pay is hourly and after 3 weeks you're on a normal schedule. The setup is fast paced and you're expected to give it your all every day to make the deadline. The store is going to open no matter what, so working the hard hours is necessary. Many people that start with the company at the setup that work hard get noticed and are promoted to supervisory roles within months- I've seen it countless times.

This sounds like a great place to work. I was wondering how I could get an application for a Menard's that is being built in the town I live in. They are not taking them at our employment office. I worked for a company for 21 years and the building burned down so they decided to rebuild in the town they have the rest of there company at. Real good business decision for them bad for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sophomore in Dayton, Ohio

17 months ago

Last year I applied and was hired at a soon-to-open Menards. At store set-up and around the time of grand opening, the culture coming from both upper and dept management was all about mutual cooperation with other team members and creating great guest service. Since then in many ways this once positive culture has been gradually but successfully defeated due to bloated egos and abject employee favoritism displayed daily by certain departmental management. Whenever you need to bring an issue to your dept manager or HR manager, they won't hesitate to remind you that everything you do in the store is 100% on videotape.

I recently made a very interesting discovery. There is another purpose for the name badges Menards team members use to clock in & clock out. Each badge contains an RFID chip which is encoded and linked with each team members identity. This tool enables Menards HR mgr or store mgr to immediate locate via video camera any given team member, simply by keystroking in their 7 digit team member number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.