How to get a job at Merck.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 136)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario

66 months ago

I did try calling my recruiters last month and the month before. All I got were voice mails and no returned calls. My inside guy told me I may have to wait six months like he did. So I decided to lay back for awhile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ReasonablyAssertive in North Wales, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Don't lay back...HR doesn't like that...recruiters neither (my experience)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Okay. I will try to call them the first thing Monday. I hope I don't get anymore voicemails. HR people don't like answering their phone or returning calls. At least things are starting to happen. Thank you for the great advice.

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

66 months ago

What happens after that wonderful phone call??

66 months ago

A new job!!! Yeah!!!

65 months ago

Hello Deb1,

Merck has started calling in people from the bench. Did your husband get his call yet? If not you should hear from them within a few days. I am still waiting myself.

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

65 months ago

Yes we got the call and he is starting very soon after all the drug and criminal backround checks clear.

den ehren in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Merck? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

help

den ehren in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

help me get a job in lasvegas

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Well I think you just have to keep sending in online and do it as often as you can. Not sure if they have a system that picks out keys words or not but for my husband it was a wonderful phone call. One has to be thankful for a job there in todays hard times..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patiently Waiting in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Deephouse: do you still work there? if so, do you have any info for the guys sitting onthe bench now for manufacturing? i have been on the bench for 9 months. Thanks.

QUOTE who="deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario"]Good news and bad news folks.

Good news: the ceo of merck is going to the benches for more workers. And it is happening very soon if not now.

Bad news: there is no known number over the amount of people he plans on bringing in. It could be 2 or 50. I just don't know.

Hope this helps.

51 months ago

Patiently Waiting in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania said: Deephouse: do you still work there? if so, do you have any info for the guys sitting onthe bench now for manufacturing? i have been on the bench for 9 months. Thanks.

QUOTE who="deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario"]Good news and bad news folks.

Good news: the ceo of merck is going to the benches for more workers. And it is happening very soon if not now.

Bad news: there is no known number over the amount of people he plans on bringing in. It could be 2 or 50. I just don't know.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the late response. I did respond two week ago, but I forgot that I had to login in order answer your question. Anyway, it all depends on the plant site you are applying to. If it's West Point it maybe awhile due to restructuring. I can't say anything further due the sensitivity of the nature. So my best guess time for you to come onboard will be by Feb or March. It's not much, but, for right now it is the best I can do. Be patient. If you are applying for a bio-tech job it should have been a lot sooner. Good Luck! And i will keep you posted.

Patiently Waiting in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

That makes perfect sense as I was told that they are not expected to bring anyone on this year. Any further info that you get in the future would be greatly appreciated. Yes, it is on the West Point list that I am on. I will continue to wait my turn. Thank you.

Pragmatic Mikrobe in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

I would not put all my eggs on the Merck basket because of the current situation. Pharma is doing more with less & this is going to continue throughout 2011...read more on these 2 articles online both from this Summer. Good luck!

www.bnet.com/blog/drug-business/15000-layoffs-at-merck-illustrate-a-cruel-trend-more-r-d-money-fewer-new-drugs/5071

prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/merck-sheds-15-of-workforce/

smwphoto in Greensboro, North Carolina

51 months ago

deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario said: I interviewed and passed the assesement test in March of this year. I was told by the human resources department before and during the interviews that anyone hired will be placed on the bench and should be able to start by June. However, it is almost June and haven't gotten any word. I have someone on the inside who runs his own department and he needs people fast. Even he does not know what may be going on as well. I too believe that there is a hiring freeze as well. I also heard a rumor that they are relocating some of the staff from the NJ facility to other branches.

My friend,
I have to take the 3 hour assessment test next week could you please let me know what is on the test...Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

51 months ago

I heard there is a freeze on hiring at WP now. Not sure how long. The test has many many questions. Probably depends on the job you are apply for. Decimals, fractions, algebra and so on. I think they allow you to use a calculator too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smwphoto in Greensboro, North Carolina

51 months ago

I will hopefully be employed by them in Durham, NC

51 months ago

It's pretty easy. Just use common sense and you will pass. Again "common sense".

Jake B in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Former merck employee in Raritan, New Jersey said: I was an employee at merkc for 3 years. Got through regular process - did not know anyone there. Now know enough people to get back if essential. but the proces did work at least 3.5 years back. Its good company to work for.

I was an employee for a year. I had the terrible misfortune to work with a gross fat pig who harassed me every day because she was desperate for a man. She came after me and I denied her. She misused her authority. This woman was a gross fat pig who looked like Shrek. She harassed me every day, and the manager just ignored it. I eventually quit. Other than that, yeah great place to work. (sighs)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

deephouse in philadelphia, Ontario said: Sorry for the late response. I did respond two week ago, but I forgot that I had to login in order answer your question. Anyway, it all depends on the plant site you are applying to. If it's West Point it maybe awhile due to restructuring. I can't say anything further due the sensitivity of the nature. So my best guess time for you to come onboard will be by Feb or March. It's not much, but, for right now it is the best I can do. Be patient. If you are applying for a bio-tech job it should have been a lot sooner. Good Luck! And i will keep you posted.

I was wondering if there were any updates to this post? Hopefully although it will not be until next year, WP is moving in the right direction? Let me know your thoughts. Being on the bench is just grueling.

49 months ago

As far as I know, there are plans to bring in a bunch of new people in pretty soon. If you are applying for a bio-tech position, it should be pretty soon. Have you tried contacting your recruiter? He or she could give you some info. I know how you feel... almost everyone here went through the same thing you are with being on the bench.

49 months ago

Thanks. It is not biotech, it is an SPO operator. Last time I checked in, I was just told that there would be no hires for the rest of 2010. Not much more info was given. Hoprefully soon.

48 months ago

Happy New Year!! Hopefully now my number will come up from the bench. Deephouse: Any insider info on SPO operators over there in WP? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

48 months ago

I haven't heard anything lately. I will ask a friend of mine who is a spo if she knows anything.

48 months ago

Thank you.

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

48 months ago

My husband said he has not heard of any new hires in his building yet for SOP's. Not sure of the other buildings. He waited about 7 months before getting his call from the bench. He would call his recuiter and check in from time to time. You will get there someday soon.

Hitaxas in Roxboro, North Carolina

48 months ago

Is there any way for somebody who is currently not a student with no previous experience to get in? I have a few people telling me there is but I have not found how to go about applying.

48 months ago

A friend of mine told me that there are openings for spo's. You might want to call your recruiter to see when those jobs are posted on the street. Good luck!

48 months ago

Please don't tell hr where you are getting your info.

47 months ago

No problem. I completely understand. I was just going to give it a week or so and touch base to see if there is any information to report. I saw the openings for the SPO techs but I am in line for SPO operator so it may be the tech positions that are showing up. I certainly will not mention that I heard there were internal openings. I appreciate it very much.

DaBoss in Denver, North Carolina

38 months ago

Vioxxkills in Edison, New Jersey said: MRK has a policy that prohibits a contractor from getting a full time MRK job while working as a contractor for MRK. MRK has another policy that limits a contractor's time at MRK to one year unless a division manager allows an extension for another year. At the end of two years the contractor must leave for at least one year. After that the contractor can return for only one additional year for a lifetime limit of 3 years as a MRK contractor. After that you can not return. If you have any interest in working there as a full time employee, never accept a contractor position.

Just fyi - as a merck employee myself.. Not a single sentence of this is true. I have witnessed many contractors get hired on full time, and many contractors who have been working with merck for over 5 years continuously. If there is any such policy, it is not company wide and would have to be local to MMD.

I was hired onto merck from a cold call from a Monster resume'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DaBoss in Denver, North Carolina

38 months ago

Cheri T in Boston, Massachusetts said: Merck gets all their applicants from the online system. Even if you know someone at Merck, you still have to use the online system to get your application in. All initial screening is done by someone in HR and if passes HR criteria, it gets forwarded electronically to the hiring manager. It is a slow process but you do NOT have to know someone - just be qualified for the job you are applying for.

This is absolutely true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

slabber in Bullock, North Carolina

27 months ago

I took the 4 hr assessment test this week and I was really surprised at the questions that was on this test. The position was production associate. 50% mopping floors and walls and 50% material handling. Some of the questions was what is galvanized steel coated with. What makes metal stronger. How to read a micrometer. How to measure a angle or a gap.Then you have a timer for all sections. You have 12 sections. One of the sections you have 5 gauges to keep the dial out of the red by clicking on a little red button and at same time look at 2 sets of 5 digit numbers to see if they match or not. You have to choose if they match or not at the same time keep all 5 gauges out of the red.I really felt like I was rushed the whole time but you have a timer that you can see. Then they call you in a room after the test and tell you if you pass. If you don't pass you have to wait 6 months before you can apply again. Good luck Everyone!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb1 in Pennsylvania

27 months ago

My husband did talk about that on his testing as well and he passed the test at that time. He was applying for some kind of janitor maintance kind of job at the time. After the testing he did get a call saying he was on the list to be called for a job but when they called they offered him a different job alittle higher paying. I think some of it was due to the areas he did well in on his test and his mechanical backround. He was happy to get the higher paying position at that time. Just keep trying even if you did not pass the first time.

vanessachristina in Durham, North Carolina

27 months ago

Just finished a contract job at Merck in Durham, NC branch.
I found the people extremely friendly and the culture one that few employees offer.

Yes Merck has its problems like ALL manufacturing companies. CREE, IBM and GSK (I'll worked at all)many in the RTP have the same problems (a few bad managers, many lazy employees and people who keep their share of the dram going)! This is everywhere even in the USPS. This country is infected with laziness no matter how much money people are paid.

So far Merck is alright with me! I was there long enough to know that those that complain definitely AREN'T the solution to the problem.

Many here can't spell and many here are 'troubled people!

Merck pays well and definitely treated me well.

People just remember its a job. Just go to work and do what is asked of you! THAT"S IT!

ALSO MERCK IS HIRING NOW (in Durham, NC). three of my friends got in Full-time and LOVE IT!

Also that lie about some policy I read here...this is what I am talking about just ugly people!

27 months ago

slabber in Bullock, North Carolina said: I took the 4 hr assessment test this week and I was really surprised at the questions that was on this test. The position was production associate . 50% mopping floors and walls and 50% material handling. Some of the questions was what is galvanized steel coated with. What makes metal stronger. How to read a micrometer. How to measure a angle or a gap.Then you have a timer for all sections. You have 12 sections. One of the sections you have 5 gauges to keep the dial out of the red by clicking on a little red button and at same time look at 2 sets of 5 digit numbers to see if they match or not. You have to choose if they match or not at the same time keep all 5 gauges out of the red.I really felt like I was rushed the whole time but you have a timer that you can see. Then they call you in a room after the test and tell you if you pass. If you don't pass you have to wait 6 months before you can apply again. Good luck Everyone!!!!!

AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU MY FRIEND! MERCK IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK!

27 months ago

Hitaxas in Roxboro, North Carolina said: Is there any way for somebody who is currently not a student with no previous experience to get in? I have a few people telling me there is but I have not found how to go about applying.

ACTUALLY, YOU HAVE TO HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THE SPHERE OF MANUFACTURING. I met no one there employed, even as a contractor, without this.

shene0822 in Mebane, North Carolina

27 months ago

I took the same test and passed also. Have you started working there yet?

27 months ago

shene0822 in Mebane, North Carolina said: I took the same test and passed also. Have you started working there yet?

Worked as a Temp for 6 months (Quality Inspector). Money is good. Waiting for the interview which they say is next. Think positive and stay positive because all manufacturing companies have their problem. MERCK is the place for me and God has blessed this far so I know god will continue to blessed. also there a few of my co-workers scheduled for testing on the 10th!

Good Luck See you in traning class.

shene0822 in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

vanessachristina in Durham, North Carolina said: Worked as a Temp for 6 months (Quality Inspector ). Money is good. Waiting for the interview which they say is next. Think positive and stay positive because all manufacturing companies have their problem. MERCK is the place for me and God has blessed this far so I know god will continue to blessed. also there a few of my co-workers scheduled for testing on the 10th!

Good Luck See you in traning class.

Thanks. I'm doing temp too and I have a interview for production technician coming up. Do you have to go through the process over when your temp time is up?

26 months ago

I heard you do.

When was you interview setup.

Several others like me were told to wait until all had been tested.

shene0822 in Mebane, North Carolina

26 months ago

vanessachristina in Durham, North Carolina said: I heard you do.

When was you interview setup.

Several others like me were told to wait until all had been tested.

Its next week

26 months ago

shene0822 in Mebane, North Carolina said: Its next week

GOOD LUCK!

shene0822 in Greensboro, North Carolina

26 months ago

vanessachristina in Durham, North Carolina said: GOOD LUCK!

Thank you!

gmorning in Louisburg, North Carolina

25 months ago

I received my bio certification a few months ago and submitted my resume online. I even have a brother- in-law that works at Merck in RTP who I sent a physical resume by to his supervisor who was asking him if he knew anyone who would be interested in a position as they are in desperate need of help. I've yet to receive a call. Even with having someone on the inside, Merck is a hard to get into.

25 months ago

gmorning in Louisburg, North Carolina said: I received my bio certification a few months ago and submitted my resume online. I even have a brother- in-law that works at Merck in RTP who I sent a physical resume by to his supervisor who was asking him if he knew anyone who would be interested in a position as they are in desperate need of help. I've yet to receive a call. Even with having someone on the inside, Merck is a hard to get into.

No Merck is not hard to get into. Many here are frustrated. there was a freeze and now its lifted. They are ramping up and hiring many new employees, most in Jan/2013.
Go in through Spectraforce.com or Manpower.
I just got hired as a Production Associate at a high rate of pay. Shift is 8 hours (3 in fact) with some overtime. I start Nov 26.

Spectraforce gives you the Sam test then there are three interviews. You have to pass the SAM test. It three hours long.

Good Luck.

25 months ago

shene0822 in Greensboro, North Carolina said: Thank you!

Did you get hire? I did (Production Associate) and start Nov 26.

25 months ago

gmorning in Louisburg, North Carolina said: I received my bio certification a few months ago and submitted my resume online. I even have a brother- in-law that works at Merck in RTP who I sent a physical resume by to his supervisor who was asking him if he knew anyone who would be interested in a position as they are in desperate need of help. I've yet to receive a call. Even with having someone on the inside, Merck is a hard to get into.

Also you may need some experience. Many have the Bio Certificate but no experience. Also at the Durham, NC they have no HR department so passing a resume on to a coach (supervisor) may not help. I say come in as temp. The pay is good and get ready to gown up from head to toe(class B & A) is how they dress mostly.

25 months ago

vanessachristina in Durham, North Carolina said: Also you may need some experience. Many have the Bio Certificate but no experience. Also at the Durham, NC they have no HR department so passing a resume on to a coach (supervisor) may not help. I say come in as temp. The pay is good and get ready to gown up from head to toe(class B & A) is how they dress mostly.

Thanks for the info :-) I will look into Spectra ASAP.

25 months ago

Got called in for an interview this Friday!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.