Mutual of Omaha Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Mutual of Omaha?

What do you like best about working at Mutual of Omaha? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

SlickK in Columbus, Ohio

86 months ago

I recently submitted my resume online and was contacted by a local office for an interview. It appears to be a 100% commission based sales job from the start, is that correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

M in Omaha in Omaha, Nebraska

85 months ago

I worked for Mutual of Omaha for 27 yrs, over 20 yrs in the Individual Claims Dept. In all that time I have seen and been through a lot of changes.

When I first started working for Mutual, there were over 5,000 employees in Omaha alone. Over time this number grew smaller and smaller. The one thing I noticed is that loyalty means nothing to Mutual. When they needed to "downsize" and cut cost, they get rid of the "older" workers who make too much money.

In the Claims Dept, they made it harder for people to make production. They raised it too high time and time again while demanding near perfect zero error ratio. They put you on verbal and then written warnings to set you up to be "legally" terminated. For the people they want to keep, they overlook "things", errors or production.

When they have gotten "rid" of you, they hire new people and pay them a much lower salary. However, the people they hired are usually younger people, not dedicated to the Company and post out to other jobs in the Company or leave Mutual when they realize that the amount of work in greater and harder than the salary is worth.

Two days after I was "terminated", the Individual Production standard was "lowered" to the Group Dept standard.....to keep in part with that dept. I missed my production by less than 2%, if I remembered correctly. It should be noted that after I was "let go", the next day two other employees in my dept who had been with Mutual longer than I had, about 28 and 29 yrs, put in their two weeks notices. They did not want to be "fired" as I was. They were being "haressed" as I was about their Production and error ratios. So, they left.

When I contacted my State Unemployement Dept the same day I was "let go" and told the women with Company I was with, she stated "What is going on at Mutual? You are the eighth person to call this morning!!" It was 9:30 AM that morning.

Mutual has "some" departments that are good to work in, but steer clear of Individual Claim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

M in Omaha in Omaha, Nebraska

85 months ago

As I have stated, Production was lowered the NEXT day after two other seasoned and good employees put in their two weeks notices and it was two days AFTER I was "terminated". They were now understaff too much and had to lower production to keep employees, which they would have to "let go" like I was.

Two years after I was let go, I applied for a group disability job at Mutual that I know I was good for. I received an "we are looking for other canidates at this time" e-mail. If you leave on "bad" terms with Mutual, even if it was not your fault, I believe you will not be rehired...even if you are right for the job.

Management at Mutual is only looking at the dollar sign and it does not care how they treat the loyal employees. You can tell it is not great as it was by how they have lost contracts, selling blocks of business and now branching in the "banking" business and the apartments they are building next to the home office. They lost so much business due to bad management they have rented out most of the Southside building which has seven floors.

Hopefully, other current and former employees will post their comments and other people will be able to asset if Mutual is good to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

magagent in Ridgeland, Mississippi

77 months ago

SlickK in Columbus, Ohio said: I recently submitted my resume online and was contacted by a local office for an interview. It appears to be a 100% commission based sales job from the start, is that correct?

Not always some offices do still offer to put you on a salary for the first couple of years and then it dissapears once you have made the transition. That may not be avaiiable in your area I do not know. Did you start with Mutual of Omaha?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

TopSalesDog in Kirkland, Washington

61 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Mutual of Omaha?

What do you like best about working at Mutual of Omaha? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

None They will fire you for no reason. I hate Mutual!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.