References from Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company or Nationwide Insurance Co of FL

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

nationwider in Gainesville, Florida

56 months ago

In another thread, someone wrote that they wanted to be terminated from another insurance company and they weren't worried about getting a bad reference because

"As far as reference checks go; _____ out sources that process and they are only allowed to verify dates of employment, job title and salary (if authorized). ______ will not say why an employee left or if they are eligible for rehire. I will be moving to a state where there are no ______ offices, except for a few attorney’s offices.

Current _____ management is not supposed to give references about former employees, but you know it happens. If I go out on good terms; any ______ manager that I worked with can’t comment about my work anyway.”

I want to leave Nationwide and for online applications I have not been checking the box that says "OK to contact" my supervisor because I don't want my supervisor to know that I’m looking.

I wonder, if I DID check the box that it’s OK to contact (and the form has asked me for a name and phone number) - what would happen. I usually put the general phone number for our service center on the application. I guess a person calling in would get the broad recording and wait for the operator option and ask for my supervisor by name, they would get patched through to the direct phone and then the boss would know. Even if I looked up some extension for someone in HR and put that down, once a caller asked for my supervisor by name, I’m sure the HR person would just look up the correct extension and patch the caller through.

I’m worried that by not authorizing potential employers to contact my most recent supervisor, at a current job with very relevant experience, I’m causing some potentials to immediately disregard my application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nationwider in Gainesville, Florida

56 months ago

This other poster wrote

"I want to leave _____ in August, but I would like to be terminated so that I can collect unemployment. I have a pretty good idea of how to get fired and be able to collect unemployment. My attitude will become poor, I will start to row in a different direction that the organization. Maybe even disagree with an EMG’s comment or position.

As far as reference checks go; ______ out sources that process and they are only allowed to verify dates of employment, job title and salary (if authorized). ______ will not say why an employee left or if they are eligible for rehire. I will be moving to a state where there are no ______ offices, except for a few attorney’s offices.

Backlashes? I run into a former ______ employee who happens to know someone at ______ who had knowledge of my last minute actions that got me fired. Current ______ management is not supposed to give references about former employees, but you know it happens. If I go out on good terms; any ______ manager that I worked with can’t comment about my work anyway, so why not get fired and collect unemployment until I find a new job?

What do you see as the downside….?”

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.