Nemacolin Woodlands Resort News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Nemacolin Woodlands Resort stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted with Nemacolin in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

109 months ago

Nemacolin is a HORRIBLE company to work for! Yes, it is beautiful but the people that run that resort and terrible. The HR staff is not educated and they don't know how to operate, they are in two separate buildings and constantly send people back and forth between the two buildings to find the answers that they don't know! There is no training and you are set up for failure all the time. The owners are harsh and terrible to deal with and on top of things don't care about you as a person. When opening a new department or new business within the resort, they bring someone in for tons of money and once they get it up and operating, they FIRE that person and hire a person at a MUCH cheaper wage to run the department/business. The directors hog all the money and they pay the rest of the associates peanuts! Benefits, oh yes, those are GREAT, they give you discounts on there ridiculously high food and beverage outlets, rooms and other amenities but you can't afford them because again, they pay you peanuts!! They lay-off several people a year and then force the HR department to hire 300 new people in month, turnover is very high!!!! Don't waste your time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted with Nemacolin in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

109 months ago

Disgusted with Nemacolin in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Nemacolin is a HORRIBLE company to work for! Yes, it is beautiful but the people that run that resort and terrible. The HR staff is not educated and they don't know how to operate, they are in two separate buildings and constantly send people back and forth between the two buildings to find the answers that they don't know! There is no training and you are set up for failure all the time. The owners are harsh and terrible to deal with and on top of things don't care about you as a person. When opening a new department or new business within the resort, they bring someone in for tons of money and once they get it up and operating, they FIRE that person and hire a person at a MUCH cheaper wage to run the department/business. The directors hog all the money and they pay the rest of the associates peanuts! Benefits, oh yes, those are GREAT, they give you discounts on there ridiculously high food and beverage outlets, rooms and other amenities but you can't afford them because again, they pay you peanuts!! They lay-off several people a year and then force the HR department to hire 300 new people in month, turnover is very high!!!! Don't waste your time!

I agree, I worked there too and they are the worst employer, the grass is greener on the other side!! Don't apply!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

dghdctr in Birmingham, Alabama

108 months ago

Nemacolin is hard to generalize about -- I'm sure there are departments there that work fine, but there are some that don't.
I worked in their culinary division. There are some very talented people on staff, but management of the back of the house is pretty second rate.

There are many managers here who are too young and inexperienced to be handed the responsibilities that they have. A number of them have risen through the ranks -- which might seem like a good thing -- except that they've never acquired the perspective that's gained from working elsewhere and seeing that there are different, more effective ways of doing things.

I guess it’s the corporate culture that causes some of the problems. The place is owned by people who desperately want this cultural backwater to be seen as high-class and swanky. They'll sometimes pay up front for getting the experts on staff to help make that happen, but then they'll see the costs involved in maintaining that level of accomplishment, and they implement cutbacks. People leave after being burned out by too many hours, unrealistic expectations, and excessively rude treatment from their supervisors.

I find it interesting that the 84 lumber PGA event is no more. The whole resort, in some ways, is kind of a private club run for the sake of the owners having something to do, and a place to show off to their friends and clients. It almost certainly does not make money. I think that the elimination of the PGA tournament was a sort of delayed realization on the part of the owners that their hobby -- pretending to be sophisticated -- was getting too expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.