New England Financial News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What do you think - will New England Financial grow fast? Are they expanding their staff? How does New England Financial stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Newgy in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

Yes. New England Financial is expanding their staff. But if you don't meet their cookie cutter 'profile assessment' you don't get in.

I applied to New England Financial after graduating college with a BS in Finance in 2007. I have plenty of sales experience in financial services, and sales experience in general.

So, I entered their length interview process, took their profile assessment, apparently passed it with flying colors, completed their network marketing assessment where you make a profile of people who would be able to refer potential clients to you (had an excellent list because of all the extra curricular activities I belong to). They loved my profile assessment it said I would do well right off the bat as a financial advisor (that's what they told me). Then I decided to go a different direction in my career path at the time and turned down the offer to join the US Navy as an active duty officer.

A year later, I went to training with the Navy. Decided to switch to become a reservist and came back to New England. They still had my profile assessment. We went through the lengthy interview process again, met with their recruiting financial advisor (John Lawry), met with his boss (Michelle ?), and got the approval of the boss to become a paid intern (to get paid while I studied to get my licenses basically). A sweet deal, most companies won't support you that way in financial advising.

However, the managing financial advisor (or whatever her title is) wanted a new profile assessment score. So I took the same test over again. And here is where these things really absolutely prove nothing about an individuals probably for success. It told New England Financial (and this is what John Lawry told me) that my personality is one that I would need to know too many details to be able to sell clients financial products as a new financial advisor. WOW. The profile assessment takes me from HERO TO ZERO. Isn't paying attention to details desirable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Newgy in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

More to add on...

This was just after having come from a military training environment where a Marine physically makes you exhausted for forgetting details. An environment where you're trained to learn the details quickly, and NOT forget them, because in the military, lack of attention to detail can mean lost lives. Forgive me for having that mindset after having just completed Officer Candidate School.

I can sell anything. And this was the most bogus thing I have ever had happen to me. Being offered a job, then having it rescinded because I aced a profile assessment the year before but needed to take it again to prove my personality worthiness.

I'm a dynamic guy and can pretty much accomplish most things I set out to do.

New England's treatment of me was a SHAM. It's probably a blessing in disguise that I didn't end up working for them because their corporate values are obviously way out of line when they throw someone to the street in manner which they did to me. Getting rejected because I a test says I would need to know too many details to be able to sell clients on a product.

I've sold checking/credit/savings accounts for Wells Fargo, satellite dishes door to door, food, whatever. I've never had a problem learning products and feeling comfortable in selling them.

Based on my experience of New England Financial I would warn you to stay away from them. Their values are apparently skin deep, and they obviously have no confidence in their own abilities to interview people.

I was good enough until I retook their profile assessment, which obviously means nothing if you can pass it one day and apparently fail it the next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.