The Rumor Mill

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Newell Rubbermaid stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Newell Rubbermaid sucks in Cleveland, Ohio

102 months ago

Just announced TODAY 11/13: Rubbermaid Home Products is CLOSING their fairlawn location and moving operations to their North Carolina headquarters. You can kiss another Cleveland/Akron company goodbye. More layoffs and unhappy employees. DO NOT APPLY FOR ANY JOBS WITH THIS COMPANY. I REPEAT, THERE IS NO STABILITY WITH NEWELL RUBBERMAID.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Baltimore, Maryland

96 months ago

their is a ton of stability with Newell Rubbermaid. They are just consolidating office locations to cut overhead. Its a good company to apply to if you live in Huntersville North Carolina, Atlanta Georgia, Weston Florida, Paris, Hong Kong and Holland

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Stan

92 months ago

I know Rubbermaid when it was soley in Wooster Ohio... Consolidation does NOT equate with employee stability. This company keeps getting smaller and smaller. Just look at the total number of American employees..I'd avoid Rubbermaid as if it had the plague..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lulu in NC in Huntersville, North Carolina

77 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Well the latest news isn't promising (12/17/2008)...Newell Rubbermaid to cut up to 1,000 jobs
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Three months ago, state officials were heralding Newell Rubbermaid’s expansion plans in the state, which promised to bring scores of jobs to Georgia. Those plans remain, but Sandy Springs-based Newell says the deepening recession is now forcing it to cut hundreds of jobs worldwide.

And their stock price is the lowest it's been since 1990

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sl00p in Centerville, Iowa

74 months ago

Newell Rubbermaid is NOT a stable company. Ever since the Newell corporation and Rubbermaid have 'merged', the corporates have been shutting down one plant after another. If the plant doesn't make money fast enough for the board, it's gone. Kaput. There is NO loyalty towards the employees regarding job security. DO NOT consider taking a position with them, salary or wage level. I could call off the plants that have taken the axe from them (Centerville, IA/Wooster, OH/a Texas plant/a Nebraska plant/etc). If that doesn't scare you, we'll talk about the layoffs this corporation goes through almost on an annual basis, salary and wage level.

Do other companies cut losses? Yes, they do. But this company goes out of it's way to keep it's higher management happy in regards to profit and numbers...and your position is expendable to keep those numbers good.

Do yourself a favor. Stay away from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Newell Sucks in Greensboro, North Carolina

72 months ago

I agree, STAY AWAY from Newell Rubbermaid. HR lures candidates in with false promises and big salaries... don't believe them. Although the recent rounds of layoffs have been publicized, they periodically and without cause purge 'expendable' staff to make room for fresh talent. It's an every day event to email a co-worker to discover they were let go the day before. Although they require all employees to sit through 'Values' training, in-fighting and duplicitous behavior runs pervasive throughout the company and culture, starting with senior management.

If you are a person who likes a back-stabbing environment, fighting with your co-workers on a daily basis, or likes the feeling of going to work not knowing if today is the day you'll be fired without warning (I saw this happen over and over), this is the place for you. But for me, it was absolutely the worst organization I've ever worked for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sl00p in Centerville, Iowa

71 months ago

And, once again, the news is that they are 'temporarily' laying off workers for a six month period at their Winfield facility. The key wording in a quote was something like, "All employees should be prepared after the layoff period for other measures if business has not picked back up". Uh huh. Just say the words and not play around with people's lives.....permanent layoffs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Newell Rubbermaid. Full of back-stabbing, in-fighting, and unstable employment opportunities to all who apply. Step right up and join the chaos.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

C in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

20 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

As of September 2013 they laid off part of their sales force. A sales team that accounted for 160 million in sales. Which they changed for a third party to pay half what the previous Rubbermaid representative made. Do not apply for any job asm posts regarding levolor. Ever

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.