dress code for interviewing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Jimmy in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

i am interviewing for a job at HQ in pr. should i wear a suit and tie or should i wear biz casual? khakis? gray slacks? banana republic style? how important is it to strut the brand on the interview? should i buy pink nikes and strut them with my suit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Portland in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

Normally I wouldn't deter someone from the suit and tie interview but at Nike, I would not recommend this. Banana Republic would probably be a good choice, or some other business casual attire (khakis and a sport jacket would be acceptably dressy.) Dress like you want the job and keep in mind that even at HQ, things can be very casual. You'll more than likely be more dressed up than the person(s) interviewing you. It really depends on what business unit you're interviewing with. The south campus (Michael Jordon, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, etc.) is usually a little more dressy than North Campus (Mia Hamm, Jerry Rice, Ken Griffey, etc.); but again - depends on the department.

Good Luck! I hope you practiced your situational interview skills... they like to use those at Nike :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

Well I did the interview and it was really lame. They didn't act interested in me, even from the get-go. I dressed in khakhis and a blue buttondown. I was probably a little underdresed, but I was still dressed nicer than them. For the amount they pay employees they should be much nicer. I think they were pretty arrogant. It was a corporate job. I am offered a job for twice what they are offering me. They are getting away with it, though. Good for them. They probably have 1000 people wanting this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Portland in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

bob in Portland, Oregon said: Well I did the interview and it was really lame. They didn't act interested in me, even from the get-go. I dressed in khakhis and a blue buttondown. I was probably a little underdresed, but I was still dressed nicer than them. For the amount they pay employees they should be much nicer. I think they were pretty arrogant. It was a corporate job. I am offered a job for twice what they are offering me. They are getting away with it, though. Good for them. They probably have 1000 people wanting this job.

I think you have a fairly typical experience - at least with Nike WHQ. They have well over 1,000 applications for each job posting so I guess they feel they can afford to be arrogant. And as you say - they get away with it.

This is just another way of them weeding out people they don't want on their 'team.' It is a very cut-throat environment and if that's not for you, then move on and don't take this experience too personally.

I'm sure your khakis and blue button-down were just fine. They already have an idea of who/what they're looking for.

Nike is a good company if you can get in with the right manager. Most people interview several times for several positions before getting hired. Another thing to consider: I was told that about 43% of all regular full-time Nike employees started as a contractor. If you haven't given up hope yet, try that route.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

I work in the marketing technical, and PR communications area at major corps in Chicago and Portland. Most of the Nike folk I encounter are out in the general public. They are all very bright and curious. I have never gotten a call back on any of the jobs I applied to. However, I think that this is a company that, should you get an interview, you need to prep with mutiple research interviews, lots of reading, and thinking of what you want to discuss about Nike. Also, be aware of politics surrounding Nike, and present an emapthetic, albeit not overtly so, position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Hanks in Virginia

86 months ago

Great feedback Teresa. I am interviewing with them on Friday for a position in the sales group.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.