How to get a job at Nordstrom.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

Do you work at Nordstrom? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

faezeh payrovi in Concord, California

78 months ago

I really like nordstrom for shopping,work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

KJH in Mount Vernon, New York

65 months ago

I actually had applied over the internet, and low and behold, the next day I got a call for an interview.

Timings everything, I was just lucky when I applied.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Nordstrom Hires in Fort Washington, Maryland

42 months ago

By the way, you won't be told any of this during training. Training is presented in a way to make new hires feel highly enthusiastic about working for the company and yet new hires are given limited and general effective sells strategies to help them on their way. Of course videos are shown, but detailed strategies are not discussed at length. Also, during training the productivity tracking system is not explained. The productivity tracking system is so complex that I think a whole day should be set aside just to explain how the system works to new hires. In fact, the training is so dramatically different from the actual experience of working on the sells floor that I've found that most new hires are literally shocked into reality about what it's really like to work for this company. During training, you're pampered and treated so well. Everyone is smiling, nice, and supportive. Then, as soon as you step one foot on the sells floor, you're slave driven. Be assured that you will work harder at Nordstrom than you have at any company. Do A LOT of suggestive selling; keep pulling clothes that might interest your customer. Do not wait for customers to come out of dressing rooms with clothes in their hands to buy. You don't want to hear customers saying, "Nothing worked." I'm telling you that if you want to keep your job at Nordstrom, do not be a clerk. You must take control of EVERY sell. Just consider it a must-do part of the job. This is my best advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (128) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kayla in Newberry, South Carolina

40 months ago

This information was very helpful, I just had my phone interview today and go in for my face to face interview Monday. I have been eying Nordstrom for some time. At the age of 17 I owned my own online store and read the book "The Nordstrom Way" it inspired me to work for this company I found that their practices were like on other company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

UnderpaidInAmerica in Washington, District of Columbia

33 months ago

Dress2Impress in Washington, District of Columbia said: Be aware that sales associates are paid a commission ONLY.

Actually Nordstrom employees are paid $10.00 per hour OR a commission, whichever is higher. But the last post is right. If you want to last in this company, then your goal should always be to exceed your sales goal and to earn a lot more than what you would get paid by the hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

Does anyone know what the minimum amount of hours one must work to be considered a part time employee, to receive health insurances benefits?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

luxe in Beverly Hills, California

20 months ago

Curious in Chicago, Illinois said: Does anyone know what the minimum amount of hours one must work to be considered a part time employee, to receive health insurances benefits?

You must accumulate at least 129 work hrs for 3 months consecutively before you can be accepted in the program and you must enroll within 30 days of employment and whenever you meet the quota you will be accepted in the program BUT if in the 4th month you don't work 129 hrs you'll be dropped and if you do make your 129 hrs in month 5 you'll be picked back up again with out having to re-enroll. So your coverage will fluctuate depending on your hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

thank you! 129 hours a month/33 hours a week Is kind of an odd number, I wonder how they came up with that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shanelle in Clinton, Maryland

20 months ago

i just had my interview over the phone and it was short ,is that a good or bad thing? they said we will follow up with you..is that the usual procedure?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

Astreet in Lombard, Illinois

16 months ago

Do you call human resources to check up on your application or do you wait for them to call??????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tiatiabobia in seattle, Washington

10 months ago

Dress2Impress in Washington, District of Columbia said: You only need to apply online on Nordstrom's IRecruitment website. Post a resume and look for available positions in your area using the search criteria. I work at Nordstrom and this is what I did to get hired. Be aware that sales associates are paid a commission ONLY. That means, you will only get a percentage of the total amount of money that you earned during the 2-week pay period. If it's busy and you're selling a lot during this time, your pay checks are big. If there's not a lot of business and you're selling next to nothing, your paychecks are really low, es. Most people can't base their livelihood on this type of income instability. That's why eventually they look for salaried positions that pay by the hour.

****this is not the case in all areas in Seattle you get a guaranteed base pay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tiatiabobia in seattle, Washington

10 months ago

Shanelle in Clinton, Maryland said: i just had my interview over the phone and it was short ,is that a good or bad thing? they said we will follow up with you..is that the usual procedure?

No... they will schedule a face to face over the phone if you pass the phone interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan Howard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

10 months ago

None of that applies to working at the Nordstrom Rack. It's a sweatshop. It's not a commission job but the managers push you to sell and open new accounts every 5 minutes that you're on the floor. If we don't get as many new accounts as they want us to, they cut our hours in half or more. They also chant "let's make the day, let's make the month!" What do we get if we do? Nothing. What do the managers get? A money bonus. And again, if we don' make the month, OUR hours get cut. Not theirs. THe managers make it a habit to not socialize with us, don't eat in the lunch room with us, and clearly make it noticed to us they feel they are above us. They don't put any trust in us no matter how long we've worked they. We're told we can't talk to each other on the floor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

HorseLady in Laguna Niguel, California

10 months ago

I was scheduled an interview over the phone and no one ever called, when I logged in online, it now shows that I don't have a scheduled interview. WTH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

TexasGyrl in Arlington, Texas

8 months ago

Does anyone have a job as a stocker? What do they do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Saint Louis, Missouri

6 months ago

I agree with two of the poster's on here--one that alluded to the fact that your induction will not mention anything about the way your productivity is evaluated . And, another who said the focus is on opening new accounts. It seems to me that up-selling is the new business model in retail. Some retailers are more overt about it, like for example a store named NewYork. They don't guarantee a minimum amount of hours and they pay your wages through those Visa pre-paid cards! which I believe should be a criminal offense. They do not guarantee hours, because they only give good hours to people who consistently sell new accounts. I am grateful they were up-front about all that before I accepted their dodgy offer.

Nordstrom however, did not disclose any of those things. Their emphasis is all about the employee using their best judgement in all situations. Etc. etc. I only found out about how they evaluate your productivity when it came to my evaluation. Selling new accounts is king, so if you are a hard-nose sales person then Nordstrom is for you, if you are not then you may feel conflicted as I do. It seems they do not celebrate any other strength apart from opening accounts, and I do have many strengths. I have been a manager in various posts when I worked in other countries. And, the store manager had received an email from a customer, after I had only first started their, regarding my excellent, customer service. My direct manager has never mentioned that and was very negative in our meeting. In fact, she managed to make me feel so demoralized that I am not looking for another job elsewhere.

Seedling credit cards is what you will be evaluated on eventually. That, and getting people to sign up for their mailing lists. I work so hard where I'm at, and all ready girls that had started before me come to me to help them with queries and issues with customer's, yet that is not seen as a strength.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Saint Louis, Missouri

6 months ago

Cont...

Nordstrom pay well, but you will earn your wages and some. Just have those things in mind. I think you can have a successful career there if you are willing to jump through the hoops that are valued to them. Every job has it's pros and cons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76%d in Royal Oak, Michigan

4 months ago

I shop in Nordstrom all the time . Now I'm in need of a job and have applied for several positions and I qualified for them 5+ years experience. I love everything about my store I hope to be part of the team stone. I just needed to put my comment out in the univers . Thank for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

miss tommy in Carrollton, Texas

3 months ago

I want to know if I don't have any work experience
in witch position should I apply
and do the hire the one who doesn't have any experience
so plz some one tell me what position should I apply for ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

del_fran04 in Fresno, California

1 month ago

I just got an email for a phone interview comming up. Any advice, what should I expect through a phone interview? If I get called for a face to face interview what should I wear? Ive never shopped at Nordstrom but really want to work there and start buying there clothing. I really need a job, so having this interview is big to me, I just want to do great so any advice for the interviews would be highly appreciated, so I could move forward with this company. THANKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.