What's the company culture at Nordstrom?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Nordstrom?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Nordstrom?

Reply - Report abuse

atoz in Dallas, Texas

54 months ago

Caroline Liza in Pt St Lucie, Florida said: After reading your comments on the culture at Nordstrom's, why is it considered such a good company to work for. I work for Dillard's and it seems like the same thing I would like to get away from. I know Nordstrom's has a good reputation, but why is that so. How does management treat staff? Are the customer's extremely demanding?

Management has an iron Fist - that's how they treat their staff. They say Family environment but it is not. Definitely its not family friendly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jane had in Glastonbury, Connecticut

35 months ago

I had an interesting experience with Nordstrom. I filled out the online application and was immediately contacted for a phone interview. I was asked to come in for an interview that day. There were several openings available and I really had no preference. For me, I was looking to get my feet wet as I have been out of the workforce for over ten years. Needless to say, I am so overqualified for a sales associate job. I have an MBA in finance and have worked for several prestigious companies. Apparently, this was all lost on the very green human resource person. She asked me the exact same questions that she asked me on the phone interview. I felt like she was only looking for certain answers. The questions revolved around comparing my performance with other employees, going above and beyond in a work situation, and how did I handle a difficult work situation. I felt the questions were irrelevant to someone who has not worked in a while. She was really awful. Her comments were "Great!" after everything I said. I admit my interviewing skills were a little rusty but my corporate experience is so beyond this job. She left me feeling very underwhelmed and unimpressed. Who gets these jobs? Has anyone had a similar experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Outraged by these comments in Lithonia, Georgia

26 months ago

After reading these comments and cringing at the very thought of having to work for Nordstrom again, I realize I may need to start a blog about this company. Nordstrom is continuously making the top companies to work for list on America, for what, I don't know. It was the snobbish, impersonal, rude, cut throat, disgusting playing field I've ever stepped ob. If you think for one minute I'm upset cause I didn't sell, it's not true, in fact i was the top seller in my department. But you see, money isn't everything, not to me at least. My paychecks were decent, bit that did stop the feeling of agonizing hate and shame that came every morning before I went to work. Nordstrom employs slaves, they expect you to work to the bone, sell sell sell, then get all of it returned the following day and still smile about it, and be glad to work for the Grossman. The truth of the matter is, a lot of ppl shopping there can't afford it. They buy things, wear them, bring them back and it cones out of YOUR check. They take everything back under garments, lingerie with perfume still on it, it doesn't matter. I felt ashamed to work there, I hated the atmosphere of ppl smiling in your face at those STUPID rallies EVERY morning, then cutting your throat by evening to make their dept goals. It's a disgusting place, anyone with an ounce of pride need not work there. The store closes at 10, you'll get off at 11, just cause they're going to let that last conceded customer shop to squeeze that lady dime out. This was Xmas eve mind you. They don't give a rat's ads about the employs, they fire ppl for reasons out of their own hands. Numerous if the friends that I actually did make there were evicted, living in cars, it with their parents. Grown people. It's a sin.and a shame. If Nordstrom makes so much money, let a sale be a sale, and don't let those returns come out of their checks. I no longer work for Nordstrom, to this day it was the best decision I ever made to quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.