How to get a job at Norfolk Southern.

Comments (1 to 50 of 168)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Norfolk Southern? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

H. Peter Minich in Monroe, North Carolina

100 months ago

We have called information trying to get a number for Norfolk Southern. The numbers that were given to us were fax numbers. I am looking for a job with this company but I can't call them and I don't know where the location is. can someone send us this information?
I am looking for a number for the Charlotte, NC location.

Thanks

patrick watkins in Okolona, Mississippi

100 months ago

need to how to get a job with northfolk southern railroad thanks for your time

CAP in Gadsden, Alabama

100 months ago

Don't pursue it!!! RUN while it's not too late!!

Jack in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

99 months ago

You do not want to work for NS,trust me.

BNCONDUCTOR in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

I would suggest anyone with common sense who has a family or life....stay away from trainservice, they spend 13 weeks in the hiring process and 30 years trying to fire you! As a 12 year conductor with former BN the NS was known for the Natzi Southern way of rules....or No S***ters...this railroad used to make it's employees crap in bags until 1994 or so! Would you want to work for someone like this! The we own you mentality is something to be desired! Don't do it.....ask most trainservice employees about regrets....the list is long, my career cost me a marriage...try telling your kids christmas eve you will see them in a few days...for the sixth year in a row, missing games, birthdays....my daughter still tells me I have been a great provider...just not a father! Think about it!

btc5000 in allentown, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

BNCONDUCTOR in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I would suggest anyone with common sense who has a family or life....stay away from trainservice, they spend 13 weeks in the hiring process and 30 years trying to fire you! As a 12 year conductor with former BN the NS was known for the Natzi Southern way of rules....or No S***ters...this railroad used to make it's employees crap in bags until 1994 or so! Would you want to work for someone like this! The we own you mentality is something to be desired! Don't do it.....ask most trainservice employees about regrets....the list is long, my career cost me a marriage...try telling your kids christmas eve you will see them in a few days...for the sixth year in a row, missing games, birthdays....my daughter still tells me I have been a great provider...just not a father! Think about it!

Please listen to me people. NS is not the place you want to work unless you like staying at home. I'm on the extraboard and only get about two starts a week. No one is retiring any time soon. You start at 80% and before you reach 90% NS sends you to engineer school. During you six months of training you get 85% pay. The union representation does not care about anyone hired after 1985. I like the job but staying at home not working is getting really old.

rlroader in Florence, Kentucky

86 months ago

You people kill me. NS is a great company who offers a great job with great benefits. If you hate this job so much.., QUIT and find another job to go to and complain about everything. If you need to be off work then MARK OFF. Stop bringing your BAD attitude to work and draining the life out of everyone you talk to about your job. I am an extra board conductor at 80% (WHICH YOU KNEW WHEN YOU SIGNED ON)and I am making between $1200-$1600 per week for doing VERY little work, with excellent health and retirement benefits, my job is protected by a union and I could'nt be happier. SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND DO YOUR JOB!!!!!

deltademo32 in Delta, Ohio

84 months ago

Monkey 130241 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I was notified by email, also it is supposed to be a reruiting session i was invited to. will you be attending?

Well, I have applied for a job in Indiana, but I have not heard from them yet. Do you know if anyone can come to this session, or do you have to be invited? If so, where is it being held at? I live in NW Ohio but I am willing to travel if I have a chance of getting a job.Thanks

babbles in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

CAP in Gadsden, Alabama said: Don't pursue it!!! RUN while it's not too late!!

what do you mean?

Jeff Carrender in Somerset, Kentucky

82 months ago

i recently went to a job interview at norfolk southern it was in a confrenece room at a motel and like 130 ppl were there do u think i got a good shot??

82 months ago

I got invited to a hiring session and everyone got interviewed. There were like 90 ppl and I just got hired today for a gang in pennsylvania. I applied back in may and it took this long to hire me. So be patient if u havent heard anything, its most likely a good thing.

George Domazet in Crown Point, Indiana

82 months ago

I recently sent my application and resume for conductor trainee to NS. All of this was done online on their website. Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes before you get any kind of response from NS by email? Do you get an email confirming they received your app and resume? How can I confirm they got everything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

81 months ago

George Domazet in Crown Point, Indiana said: I recently sent my application and resume for conductor trainee to NS. All of this was done online on their website. Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes before you get any kind of response from NS by email? Do you get an email confirming they received your app and resume? How can I confirm they got everything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I got my response in like 2 weeks saying that I was invited to a hiring session, but it could be longer. The railroad is not very fast at letting ppl know the info they need. But get on the NS website like every other day and update all of your profile information and resume, because everything in their system gets erased after a certain period of time. So just keep updating and make sure you dont lie about anything on your application because they will find out and wont hire you. Good Luck

workingonthe railroad in decatur, Georgia

81 months ago

working for norfolk southern is ok if you like being a slave.
natzi southern is the name we fondly call it.
its us agains them - management against everybody else
you are not a person, you are a seat warmer and it you let your seat get cold or say have a heart attack while you are at work, you will probably get fired for it.

there are no great benefits if you work throught the union.
you get health insurance and a 20,000 life insurance policy and dental -
you have to pay to be in the union and for clerk jobs you have to be in the union
you can't have a life or a fmily - well you can, but no one cares.

you have to pay for parking if you work downtown and everyone you work with gossips about each other all the time and they are like crabs in a barrell

come on in if you are a gladiator - you might make it to retirement.

alec warren in Norfolk, Virginia

81 months ago

let me explain my situation really quick. my uncle has worked for norfolk southern for over 10 years and is a supervisor. he and a good friend of his who happens to be another supervisor for norfolk southern got me into a hiring session in may. I had my hiring session, passed my test, got my interview, and a call the next day saying i was hired for the carpenters helper position. over the next 2 or 3 weeks, i took my physical, drug test, background/dmv check, and even had to submit medical records and a doctors note for something minor i had disclosed on my physical.

the thing i am worried about is.. i havent heard a single thing since about the end of june, and that was about 2 months ago. ive talked to my uncle who keeps telling me to be patient, but i feel as though they have either forgotten about me, or something is wrong, and i just havent heard about it. i tried calling the HR department lately, but with no luck. any suggestions on what i should do? thanks alot.

81 months ago

alec warren in Norfolk, Virginia said: let me explain my situation really quick. my uncle has worked for norfolk southern for over 10 years and is a supervisor. he and a good friend of his who happens to be another supervisor for norfolk southern got me into a hiring session in may. I had my hiring session, passed my test, got my interview, and a call the next day saying i was hired for the carpenters helper position. over the next 2 or 3 weeks, i took my physical, drug test, background/dmv check, and even had to submit medical records and a doctors note for something minor i had disclosed on my physical.

the thing i am worried about is.. i havent heard a single thing since about the end of june, and that was about 2 months ago. ive talked to my uncle who keeps telling me to be patient, but i feel as though they have either forgotten about me, or something is wrong, and i just havent heard about it. i tried calling the HR department lately, but with no luck. any suggestions on what i should do? thanks alot.

I had my hiring session back in june I beleive in indiana. I just got hired 3 weeks ago, so I would keep waiting and they should call you. I had a problem with the physical as well and it took awhile to get that cleared through. So just keep waiting and maybe try calling again to see if anyone knows anything in a week or so.

Justin in Chattanooga, Tennessee

81 months ago

Hey I just went to a session, I took the 2 test ,One was a reading test ,which 15 mins, with 60 some question, I think it was aspeed test,the oThank you for your interest in the Electrician position in Chattanooga Loco Shop TN and for participating in our recruiting process. Following a competitive review of your background and qualifications, regrettably we are unable to extend an employment offer.

Again, we appreciate your interest in employment opportunities at Norfolk Southern and the time you spent with us during the recruiting process. We wish you the very best in your future career endeavors.

Sincerely,
Human Resources
Norfolk Southernther is what i would call a picture test , each question wa 5 pictures and you pick the that does not fit in with the other pictures, for example 4 pictures were women's faces the fifth was a man's face, I did not finish the speed test so I fail it it and I didn't get an interview, then I got this email :

So question is that has anyone else had this happen to them and did you reply and got to another session because they told us to reply and because another session will come again

Martina in Pueblo, Colorado

80 months ago

I have an interview for BNSF Conductor Trainee. I am asking what should I wear? Do I wear a suit or dress casual? I would like to know what could possibly be on the math test? Is math a big deal?
Thank You.

asha1983 in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

today,I went to an recruiting seesion with Norfolk for a CMC dispatcher job. There were 72 people who arrived for the session that started at 8:00 am sharp. One person missed out because he did not arrive on time. We had an orientation about norfolk and the job..then we took 2 tests (math and verbal). The tests were graded, and 52 people were eliminated. The remaining 20 people took two additional tests that were math and verbal. After the tests were graded, ten people were further eliminated. The remaining ten people were interviewed and given a typing test.
I don't think I did that well on the typing test,but the interview went well. I will keep my fingers crossed!

80 months ago

Update: I was offered the job the next day, and they called me at 8:30 in the morning

80 months ago

Okay, I finally got invited to attend orientation in Kankakee, IL on Wednesday, October 23rd. Do I need to dress up, i.e. suit/tie, for the orientation, or is it a dress slack/dress shirt affair? Please let me know. Thanks!

80 months ago

I just wore some khaki pants and a nice button up shirt tucked in, and I got a job. I didnt bother wearing a suit and tie. Good luck

80 months ago

So, let's say everything goes perfect at orientation and interviews, and I get offered a job position. How long was it before you actually started?

80 months ago

you need to have your business attire on. It is amazing that ALOT of people dressed in club gear. Set yourself apart from everyone, and do yourself a favor. Good luck

Hazaa in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

Asha...i was in the ten for last week...i got a conditional offer the day after the hiring session...I was also one of the 5 chosen (for the physical and background test). Let me know when you hear something from the company. thanks

redfish10 in New Castle, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

I'm going to a recruiting session next Wednesday. What is on the tests and how hard are they.

80 months ago

You will first start out with the non sugar coated orientation for about an hour. You will then take a 15 minute break. When you return from break, 1/4 of the people will have left and gone home. You are then issued 2 tests. The first is a basic knowledge test. You will have 15 minutes to complete approximately 47 questions. The questions consist of "which number comes next in the sequence". They also give you difficult words. They want you to match a word from a list of 5 words that means the same or the opposite of the difficult word. There were also several math word problems. The key to the test is to pace yourself!. Do not over think a question. Only give each question about 11 seconds. If you are struggling, go to the next question. The test is about how many questions you can get right, not the wrong ones. Out of 70 people, 60 went home after the testing process. The second test is a personality test. Easy questions. Just be consistant with your answers. Good Luck! I got a conditional job yesterday, pending drug test, physical, and police background test.

80 months ago

Thanks George.

80 months ago

I hear some people say the test is imposible.

80 months ago

I'm your average Joe...and I passed. If you overthink the questions, you will not pass.

80 months ago

Nothing to sweat then.

80 months ago

It depends on what job you have applied for on whether or not there is a test. I got a job as a track laborer and I didnt have to take one test. Maybe that was just for our session though.

79 months ago

This is intersting. Recieved this email on Oct. 20th.

We appreciate your interest in Norfolk Southern and the Conductor position in Conway, PA. After reviewing your application, we would like to invite you to participate in the next step of our recruiting process. For further consideration, please arrive promptly at the following time and location:

10/29/2008 at 8:00 a.m.

Crowne Plaza-Pittsburgh Airport

1160 Thorn Run Road, Coraopolis, PA 15108

Prior to attending this recruiting session, please go to the Norfolk Southern Careers site and make sure that your application is completely up-to-date.

Please bring a valid photo ID to the recruiting session. We will be conducting interviews during the session. Business casual or business professional dress is encouraged.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Barker

Human Resources

Norfolk Southern

www.nscorp.com

Then on Oct 27th I get this email.

Thank you for your interest in the Conductor position in Conway PA. We received a large number of applications for this position and following a competitive review of your background and qualifications, regrettably we are unable to offer you further consideration at this time.

Again, we appreciate your interest in employment opportunities at Norfolk Southern. Please feel free to check our Careers site at www.nscorp.com/careers to see if there are future opportunities that may be of interest to you. We wish you the very best in your future career endeavors.

Sincerely,
Human Resources
Norfolk Southern

I really don't understand this one.

79 months ago

I print out the first invite you got, take a copy with you, and go to the orientation session scheduled. When they do attendance, the worst they could tell you is go home. Worth a shot!

79 months ago

I got a conditional job offering last week on Wednesday. The job is conditional upon background check, drug testing, and physical. I have no problem passing any of these with flying colors. My question is, how long did it take from the time you got the job offering, to the time to started in Georgia?

79 months ago

George Domazet in Crown Point, Indiana said: I got a conditional job offering last week on Wednesday. The job is conditional upon background check, drug testing, and physical. I have no problem passing any of these with flying colors. My question is, how long did it take from the time you got the job offering, to the time to started in Georgia?

I recently went through the background, physical check with NS. I was told last thursday that I passed all tests. I am scheduled to start in early Nov. It should take two weeks at the max. Congrats

Clark Howe in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

asha1983 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I recently went through the background, physical check with NS. I was told last thursday that I passed all tests. I am scheduled to start in early Nov. It should take two weeks at the max. Congrats

Can you please explain the physical check and drug test. What type of drug test is required (urine, hair)? I shouldn't have a problem with either, just curious.

79 months ago

The drug test involves a urine sample and hair follicle test.

rahul veerma in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

Hey asha.. i would be glad if u can answer to my query.
I have an interview on 10/29/2008 for IT Developer(Modaligistics) - Co-op/Intern Position and i am really tensed about it. Can you tell me what is the interview process?
Suggest me some tips and tricks please.

79 months ago

Hey guys.. i would be glad if u can answer to my query.
I have an interview on 10/29/2008 for IT Developer(Modaligistics) - Co-op/Intern Position and i am really tensed about it. Can you tell me what is the interview process?
Suggest me some tips and tricks please

79 months ago

Hey Rahul,
You should do your homework on the company, general overview and formulate some questions as such. Right now, they are hiring like crazy because ALOT of people are retiring in the next five years. With that being said they are looking for long term people to promote and grow with the company. They are very big on promoting within the company also and there will be opportunities for the taking.It is a fairly laid back interview,and it should flow like a regular conversation. Expect to explain yourself and your goals for next five years and your story (your background).The company want people but people who have discipline and can endure (reason why they LOVE military people) Since I came from wall street, I have a fairly interesting story and can tell it . It is all about presentation. Good Luck, knock em dead!

79 months ago

asha1983 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hey Rahul,
You should do your homework on the company, general overview and formulate some questions as such. Right now, they are hiring like crazy because ALOT of people are retiring in the next five years. With that being said they are looking for long term people to promote and grow with the company. They are very big on promoting within the company also and there will be opportunities for the taking.It is a fairly laid back interview,and it should flow like a regular conversation. Expect to explain yourself and your goals for next five years and your story (your background).The company want people but people who have discipline and can endure (reason why they LOVE military people) Since I came from wall street, I have a fairly interesting story and can tell it . It is all about presentation. Good Luck, knock em dead!

Thank You very much for the info.. i`ll try to give my best.

79 months ago

For the conductor physical, what all do they check? I have mine on Thursday.

79 months ago

The physical consists of a hearing test, visual test, as well as the doctor coming in and checking your eyes, ears, mouth, (the same as any physical). You will be required to give a hair sample, and urine sample.

Peggy07 in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

c smith in Tucker, Georgia said: Do they offer a study guide? I'm schedule to take the central yards operation clerk test. I heard the test was difficult. If you can please help, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

C Smith in Tucker GA. Did you take the test for the Central Yards Operation Clerk yet? I am going this week and wanted to know if the test was hard. What type of math test is it?

Peggy07 in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

I filled out a application and then was emailed and called saying to come to a hotel for recruiting session, bring two pens, and they said at this meeting you will also be interviewed.

MMcCants in Rome, Georgia

79 months ago

What about the background check? Do they hire people with criminal records? Any info. would be appreciated.

79 months ago

The background check is extensive FBI and Georgia wide. I don't know your situation, but make sure you disclose any and everything.

79 months ago

In response to Peggy07, George's Domazet description on this page was basicially what I went through in my information session

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.