What's the company culture at Northern Trust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Northern Trust?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Northern Trust?

Reply - Report abuse

Current Employee in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Beware. Northern Trust is very, very conservative and in many wayis is a throwback to the 1950s. Dress in the banking areas of NT is business--all the time. Women dress to the nines on the banking side and are required to wear a jacket at all times (they do not want bare arms to show); They consider sweater twin sets inappropriate. Men same (even though they are required to wear long sleeve shirts). On the investments side, they are business casual, but dressy business casual.

It is very difficult to get access to allow you to sync up your work computer to your Blackberry/Palm; requires Executive Management approval, and most requests are denied. Flash drives are also not permitted and computers there will not recognize them. Your computer activity, including emails, websites, IMs, are very closely monitored.

Many people have been there for years (15+), which also equates to much dead weight. As such, it is very hard to advance in this company, no matter what they tell you. There is quite a bit of office politiking going on and colleagues will not hesitate to throw you under the bus if they thought it meant recognition by Management. Management also has their "favorites" and are not discreet about their feelings.

I took my job at Northern because they are a good, solid company that has respect in the industry. I also heard about the high-caliber of employees and opportunities for advancement. The people I interviewed with confirmed my impressions. However, when I joined the organization, I was deeply disappointed. It became quickly obvious that they put forth their best employees to interview me. Many of my colleagues do not live up to the reputation.

If you are looking to work at a place that is progressive and values creativity, this is not the place. However, if you like routine, don't want to think too much, and start right at 8:30 and leave at 5:00, Northern Trust is for you. Currently, I am looking for another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Cincinnati, Ohio

83 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. I am entertaining an opportunity with NT and hear mixed opinions. I've never worked for a bank, so I'm trying to determine if your experience is characteristic of the banking industry or if it really is a NT thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Walter in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

Is Northern Trust racist? I applied for three position; performed well but got reject for things like "does not as seem as social as the other candiate" and "he needs to work on his accent"..? Like, do they just want to hire folks that look like the folks already there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nadinasmylez in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

Current Employee in Chicago, Illinois said: Beware. Northern Trust is very, very conservative and in many wayis is a throwback to the 1950s. Dress in the banking areas of NT is business--all the time. Women dress to the nines on the banking side and are required to wear a jacket at all times (they do not want bare arms to show); They consider sweater twin sets inappropriate. Men same (even though they are required to wear long sleeve shirts). On the investments side, they are business casual, but dressy business casual.

It is very difficult to get access to allow you to sync up your work computer to your Blackberry/Palm; requires Executive Management approval, and most requests are denied. Flash drives are also not permitted and computers there will not recognize them. Your computer activity, including emails, websites, IMs, are very closely monitored.

Many people have been there for years (15+), which also equates to much dead weight. As such, it is very hard to advance in this company, no matter what they tell you. There is quite a bit of office politiking going on and colleagues will not hesitate to throw you under the bus if they thought it meant recognition by Management. Management also has their "favorites" and are not discreet about their feelings.

I took my job at Northern because they are a good, solid company that has respect in the industry. I also heard about the high-caliber of employees and opportunities for advancement. The people I interviewed with confirmed my impressions. However, when I joined the organization, I was deeply disappointed. It became quickly obvious that they put forth their best employees to interview me. Many of my colleagues do not live up to the reputation.

If you are looking to work at a place that is progressive and values creativity, this is not the place. However, if you like routine, don't want to think too much, and start right at 8:30 and leave at 5:00, Northern Trust is for you. Currently, I am looking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Graphalfkor in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

Walter in Chicago, Illinois said: Is Northern Trust racist? I applied for three position; performed well but got reject for things like "does not as seem as social as the other candiate" and "he needs to work on his accent"..? Like, do they just want to hire folks that look like the folks already there?

Rampant racism isn't only tolerated it's generally accepted, the culture is very politically correct and you have lots of disgruntled employees due to the low salaries. So unless you're caucasian don't expect much advancement unless you're willing to sacrifice your personal life and be their puppet. Still, even when you get a title, same principal applies you have these scathingly jealous email queens of PCness trying to destroy you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cantsay in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

14 months ago

It is a very stuffed shirt place. You can't have an original thought and not a very good place if you think outside the box. They have hidden bonus plans and its difficult to know what the rules are with respect to comp. Senior managers are well taken care of, but the rest of the employees are not. I'm sorry work here and I won't be here much longer. If you are considering working here, don't. You will regret it. A lot of talk, but not much action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.