Newport News Mechanical Design Engineer positions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

ME looking for a job in Norfolk, Virginia

113 months ago

Apparently they are recruiting for this position and I got called by NGNN for an interview.

Any idea what the salary range is?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Marc in Newport News, Virginia

112 months ago

YOU DO NOT WANT THIS JOB. Designers at the shipyard are treated like crap. I'm an engineer, but I know some designers, and they are treated as second class citizens by the company. Many have no benefits, and they have crappy wages. Truthfully, you do not want to work at the shipyard at all. Its a terrible place to work. They lied to me about my job, and they will lie to you about yours.

Reply - Report abuse

rblaster85 in Cohoes, New York

110 months ago

i interviewed for this position and they offered full benifits plus pension and they were paying for my move down and giving me a bonus on top of it

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

lfmarsha in Greensboro, North Carolina

109 months ago

did you take the job? I'll be interviewing for a "Mechanical Designer" position this week. Just curious what your experience has been like with the company.

Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Schenectady, New York

109 months ago

lfmarsha in Greensboro, North Carolina said: did you take the job? I'll be interviewing for a "Mechanical Designer" position this week. Just curious what your experience has been like with the company.

i am starting in a month or two

Reply - Report abuse

Mxl16 in Princeton Junction, New Jersey

106 months ago

I just got offered this position last week. I thought the base salary was low but when you consider the benefits, relocation package, pension, 401k, cost of living and so on the salary is right on target with similar positions in the north east.

Does anybody who just started have any insight on this position? work environment, treatment (are you treated like "second class citizens?")

Does anyone know what the salary range is for senior designers and up?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Summerville, South Carolina

105 months ago

I also interviewed with the company for three difference positions, and one department did make me a offer. I was so suprised at how low the base salery was. Everything else was top notch. I would also like to know what the work enviroment is as well

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

I think work environment will depend largely on the which department you are placed in and how well you work with them. It's hard to get a general work environment feeling from a place with 20,000 employees on site.

I did find out that the salary range for designers is 33-50k.

Something else I found awkward. I interviewed with a recruiter and not the actual department supervisor I would be working for. An interview works both ways, its just as much about me figuring out if i want to work with these people as it is them figuring out if I am the right person for the job. Without that feedback I have nothing to go on as far as figuring out if this is the right place for me. It's just an observation I found unsettling, especially when you are relocating it is hard to go back if you make the wrong choice.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

Mxl16

Did you interview at the Northrop Grumman that is inside the mall? THe department managers I interviewed took 45 minutes to go through their part and allowed me barley 15 minutes to ask questions. I did three interviews starting at 1pm and lasting until 4pm when I had to leave to catch a 5:30 plane out. I did manage to ask for their business card so I could ask questions later if I needed to. The only problem I have with NG is the offer and HR said they could not change it due to keeping equality within the department. Also told me that the company has a group of people that research the job market every year to ensure that the best wages are being paid. Sounded like to me, it wasn't the first time the issue of wage came up. O well. The job ad read experience level from entry to senior level so its hard to know where you are fitting in as far as the offer goes. Anyway good luck.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

Sam in Summerville, South Carolina said: Mxl16

Did you interview at the Northrop Grumman that is inside the mall? THe department managers I interviewed took 45 minutes to go through their part and allowed me barley 15 minutes to ask questions. I did three interviews starting at 1pm and lasting until 4pm when I had to leave to catch a 5:30 plane out. I did manage to ask for their business card so I could ask questions later if I needed to. The only problem I have with NG is the offer and HR said they could not change it due to keeping equality within the department. Also told me that the company has a group of people that research the job market every year to ensure that the best wages are being paid. Sounded like to me, it wasn't the first time the issue of wage came up. O well. The job ad read experience level from entry to senior level so its hard to know where you are fitting in as far as the offer goes. Anyway good luck.

Theres a Northrop Grumman office in a mall? Thats strange. They came to a career expo at my college and held interviews the day after. It was with a recruiter and it took about an hour.

Regarding the base salary, that was exactly what she told me. They start everybody at the same base and a seperate "adjustment" department handles the increases.

I would deffinately like to meet with the hiring manager prior to my start date to see if we would work well together. It would feel more comfortable about the situation. I just went on an interview the other day at another company and I did not get along with the manager. In short, he was an ass. Some people would argue that its just a technique to determine how bad you want the position. Well, to me it's a sure fire way to deter a prospective employee or he really is an ass. Either way, I would not take the position if its offered to me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

Mxl16 in Princeton Junction, New Jersey said: Theres a Northrop Grumman office in a mall? Thats strange. They came to a career expo at my college and held interviews the day after. It was with a recruiter and it took about an hour.

Regarding the base salary, that was exactly what she told me. They start everybody at the same base and a seperate "adjustment" department handles the increases.

I would deffinately like to meet with the hiring manager prior to my start date to see if we would work well together. It would feel more comfortable about the situation. I just went on an interview the other day at another company and I did not get along with the manager. In short, he was an ass. Some people would argue that its just a technique to determine how bad you want the position. Well, to me it's a sure fire way to deter a prospective employee or he really is an ass. Either way, I would not take the position if its offered to me.

Do you know what department you were interviewing for? Some departments are at the mall, some are in another building by the shipyard, there is also a high rise downtown.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

Marc in Newport News, Virginia said: YOU DO NOT WANT THIS JOB. Designers at the shipyard are treated like crap. I'm an engineer, but I know some designers, and they are treated as second class citizens by the company. Many have no benefits, and they have crappy wages. Truthfully, you do not want to work at the shipyard at all. Its a terrible place to work. They lied to me about my job, and they will lie to you about yours.

Please be specific, what is so terrible?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

essarybunch in Killeen, Texas

105 months ago

I've got a question, my husband is going up in a few days to interview for a position in Baltimore.. It is basically guaranteed as he is highly sought after but the interview is a technicality I guess. He will be an FSE.

Anyway, I was wondering what sort of relocation package they offer. I've been looking at the housing down there and it is more than twice as expensive than here in Texas. It will cost us literally a month of his current pay just to get a uhaul and put deposits down on a home and I have no idea how we will manage without some sort of relocation assistance.

May I ask what is the norm?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

There are different tiers of relocation packages. I'm not sure which one you are elegible for but a tier 1 (lowest) package consists of your belongs being moved from your current home to a new home, free temp housing for 30 days w/ food expenses included while you get on your feet, travel expenses for 2 people, transportation for 1 vehicle, and $1000 cash for various fees. They will asign you a relocation agent who will go over everything and set it all up for you. They will send you a huge book of rules and what is and what is not covered. Hope that helped.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

essarybunch in Killeen, Texas

105 months ago

Thanks.. I wonder if they would make an exception and cover travel for 3 people.. We have 2 sons.. one would be free to fly but the other would not. I guess it is something we will have to ask.

I appreciate your help though, it really simplified things. Not sure if we'd be first or second tier.. most likely not the 3rd though. He is a pretty important person/candidate but not high management or anything. His job requires a polygraph and a clearance though, so it must be important, right? lol

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Engineer08

100 months ago

EssaryBunch in Killeen, Texas said: Thanks.. I wonder if they would make an exception and cover travel for 3 people.. We have 2 sons.. one would be free to fly but the other would not. I guess it is something we will have to ask.

I appreciate your help though, it really simplified things. Not sure if we'd be first or second tier.. most likely not the 3rd though. He is a pretty important person/candidate but not high management or anything. His job requires a polygraph and a clearance though, so it must be important, right? lol

If it requires polygraph then it TS (Top Secret Clearance) which translates to $$. Typically, most companies will not hire a person who does not have any clearance because they are taking risk in terms financially. To have secret clearances it cost thousands dollar.

Anyway I hope everything went well

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.