Northrop Grumman Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 157)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

mervin1975 in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

I read a lot of bad comments about NGC, but it seems like a lot of comments from people that were not selected, or had a bad experience working with them. Have you thought about it being you, and not them? Have you bounced from job to job in the past 5 years, and seems to always be the employers fault?

I just got hired on with them, and am starting this month. They made me an offer, and O countered, and then they came back for more than I countered for, plus a relocation, and sign on bonus.

For those people that talk about how they were not appreciated, for their hard work even though they put in more time than anyone else. NGC has a GOGO outlook on everything (Government owned, government operated), and in the government it is not how much you work, it is as long as you get the job done in the amount of time given, and the job being A++. It is also about what you know education, degree, and training. If you are not getting a raise, ask yourself, what you know now that you didn't know for your last raise. If you didn't learn anything else, then don't expect anything more than a compensation for a cost of living raise.

I have managed for over 16 years, and every time someone asked me for a raise that made the minimal, I ask them what do you know how to do? I may feel they do deserve more, but I want to see if they realize it. If they don't, then I give them a small raise, if they do realize it, I give them what they deserve at their level. We are all here to make money, and to run a business, so you try to save money were you can.

You need to sale yourself, pretend you are the new slice of bread, and tell them why you are better than ANYONE else. Even if you have training on something that you would use in that field, you don't need to let them know how much you have, just the fact that you have had exposure to it. If they ask, then tell them, but give yourself a little extra. A lot of people that they are looking at have NONE.

Sale, Sale, Sale yourse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jadedea in Glendale, Arizona

71 months ago

mervin, make that comment after working with them for awhile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Ok I will look back at this comment after working for them after some time, but even if you don't like you don't get a bad attitude, or do poor work, you just look for another job. That way if they call on performance or references, they will give you a great one, and if for some reason your new job doesn't work out, or can always try to get your old job back. It would probably not happen, but you would have better odds than if you left doing poor work or having a pissed off attitude. I have looked at each of the major contractors that our government uses, and have found that each of them have distraught people, moaning about how it was unfair, or a crappy place to work. You work as is good as what you put into it, and how you feel about the work you are doing.

I have come from a work environment that worked 7 days a week, and 60+ hours were in the restaurant, managing kids from 16 - 25, and if you think the environment at NGC or other companies was tough or not appreciated, then you would NEVER be able to last in the type of place I came from. This is a dream job for me, and if the employee doesn't pan out, for what I expected, then obviously I set the bar to high, and that is my fault.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Engineer08

71 months ago

I was told that there is 2% or 3% raises every year, which is not that bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

professionallylost in California

71 months ago

That barely offsets inflation (which is on average 3% annually). -_- The only major raises are when you change salary grades.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

redmondflier in Oregon

71 months ago

My experience with NGC has been outstanding thus far. It's hard to imagine that some folks have sent in over 100 applications without a single response. I first contacted NGC on the 3rd of last month, was interviewed over the phone a week later. Was flown down to LA (all expenses paid) for my face to face interview a week later and was just offered the job this morning. The people I'll be working with are an outstanding and very professional group, the HR folks I've spoken to were very nice and respectful, not to mention informed! Something I rarely encounter when looking at a new place of work.

I'm very much looking forward to working at NGC, especially since I got set up with an awesome program that'll be around for the better part of this century!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I feel the same way as you. I have been applying with them for about 2 years, but with my contacts in the DoD, they were telling me that my resume was outline wrong, so I took their advice, and arranged it a certain way, and submitted, and heard back right away. These HR folk’s score you resume, and if you don't pass (like the government) you don't even get a call or an email. They have a minimal HR staff, so if they had to reply to EVERY signal applicant, they would never get to the ones they want. I got hired on about 2 weeks ago and am in the middle of the relocation portion. I am very excited. What job are you going in under REDMODIFIER? For those who still want into the Engineering part of NGC, apply now, what i understand is htey are going to be about 400 hours under requirements for engineers for their newest contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GAMommie in Lawrenceville, Georgia

71 months ago

redmondflier in Oregon said: My experience with NGC has been outstanding thus far. It's hard to imagine that some folks have sent in over 100 applications without a single response. I first contacted NGC on the 3rd of last month, was interviewed over the phone a week later. Was flown down to LA (all expenses paid) for my face to face interview a week later and was just offered the job this morning. The people I'll be working with are an outstanding and very professional group, the HR folks I've spoken to were very nice and respectful, not to mention informed! Something I rarely encounter when looking at a new place of work.

I'm very much looking forward to working at NGC, especially since I got set up with an awesome program that'll be around for the better part of this century!

You must have a skill set that is in high demand, otherwise the process typically does not run as smooth as yours has.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rudy in Phoenix, Arizona

71 months ago

mervin1975 in Sacramento, California said: I feel the same way as you. I have been applying with them for about 2 years, but with my contacts in the DoD, they were telling me that my resume was outline wrong, so I took their advice, and arranged it a certain way, and submitted, and heard back right away. These HR folk’s score you resume, and if you don't pass (like the government) you don't even get a call or an email. They have a minimal HR staff, so if they had to reply to EVERY signal applicant, they would never get to the ones they want. I got hired on about 2 weeks ago and am in the middle of the relocation portion. I am very excited. What job are you going in under REDMODIFIER? For those who still want into the Engineering part of NGC, apply now, what i understand is htey are going to be about 400 hours under requirements for engineers for their newest contract.

You applied for two years, and no call until now!?!?!?

I think part of the key is writing a flawless and convincing resume or submitting for a job that requires a security clearance. I remember the first time that I had applied with them and within a day they contacted me, but in the end I had lost out to someone who was more experienced.

I think what you mean by changing your resume outline it's probably because you placed keywords--anyone can do that.

I've also seen other "efficient" processes where they send your application to the hiring manager the same day and then it waits there for three months with no call. Before you know it you're not selected for the position, if you remember that you applied for one.

Engineer08

71 months ago

NCG offer me a position as a Mechanical Engineer I few months ago and declined their offer which I think I made a mistake for not taking it. O well, live and learn I guess

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Excelsior in Albany, New York

71 months ago

I interviewed a couple of weeks ago for a software engineering position in Baltimore for the ES sector, and am anxiously awaiting an offer. I was told I would be contacted by email. I am really looking forward to starting there if I do get the position.

71 months ago

Don't wait for them to contact you. Show them you seriously want the position, and contact them. If they say they will get back to you within 48hrs. If they don't call them after the 48 hrs. Keep calling until you get a NO. Even after that still keep applying. Since you got the interview, you were qualified from your resume; they just want to make sure you a good fit for the team, and it also give them an idea of how much they will be willing to pay you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

redmondflier in Oregon

71 months ago

mervin1975 in Sacramento, California said: I feel the same way as you. I have been applying with them for about 2 years, but with my contacts in the DoD, they were telling me that my resume was outline wrong, so I took their advice, and arranged it a certain way, and submitted, and heard back right away. These HR folk’s score you resume, and if you don't pass (like the government) you don't even get a call or an email. They have a minimal HR staff, so if they had to reply to EVERY signal applicant, they would never get to the ones they want. I got hired on about 2 weeks ago and am in the middle of the relocation portion. I am very excited. What job are you going in under REDMODIFIER? For those who still want into the Engineering part of NGC, apply now, what i understand is htey are going to be about 400 hours under requirements for engineers for their newest contract.

Mervin,

I'm taking a position in El Segundo for the F-35 program.

71 months ago

Very nice. I am taking one in Oklahoma for the B-2 program. The people down in San Pedro wanted me to interview for positons in El Segundo, but Oklahoma got me first.

71 months ago

So I took your advice and emailed the HR representative and just received notice that I did not get the position. :( The sad thing was that I walked out feeling confident that I would get an offer...guess they were just being nice, and my read was way off. Back to the drawing board.

71 months ago

That is only for that one position, can I ask you which position you were applying for? They have several locations throughout the world. You should contact them back and ask them if you were NOT SELECTED or DID NOT QUALIFY. There is a huge difference. If you did not qualify, that means you need to re-due your resume to make it look like your qualified. Or, if you were not seleceted, that means that you did qualify, which is great, but that manager did not pick you, which means you should keep applying for different departments, or locations, and also keep applying, to keep you top of mind on the HR. Like I said before I have been applying for 2 years. I cna help you if you like, and let you know if you have a chance or not and where.

71 months ago

The exact wording was "we regret to inform you that you will not be selected for this position", so that sounds more like your NOT SELECTED. The position I was going for was "Software Engineer T2 - System Confi/Integrator". I wish there was more constructive feedback given so that I know exactly where I failed. Do you think it be out of the question to request that type of information? Thanks for your help!

71 months ago

It would not be out of hte oridinary, but honestly they probably wouldn't have it. Usually if you got a face to face interview, that means you qualified, but they want to see if you are a good fit for the team, and that maanger didn't feel that way. Did you actually havea face to face? You can ask them any questions you like, and it wouldn't be out of hte oridnary, just concerned. You should ask them though if you actually qualified. I got hired on for Software engineer I.

71 months ago

I flew down there for a face-to-face a couple of weeks ago. I am considering applying for their PDP, as I hear they are relaxing their restraints (less than 1 year experience, etc.). I have almost two years of experience out of college.

Congrats on your new job, and thanks for your advice!

varasinp in Palm Bay, Florida

71 months ago

Hi mervin1975,

I had a phone interview with the hiring manager already and he invited me to fly to Hollywood, Maryland for a face-to-face interview on Thursday September 4th, 2008.

Now, it's Sept 14th which already been a week since the interview. I would like to know how long you have to wait after the face-to-face interview before they call you and offer a job.

The position I applied for is "Software Engineer I" just like yours. I sent a thank you letter the next day after the interview to make sure that they know I'm seriously want to take the job.

Additionally, I sent an email on Sept 11th to the recruiter who's working on my case asking him about the job status. He replied to me like this

"I am waiting to hear back from the management team on a decision. They are still interviewing other candidates and should be making a decision shortly. I will contact you as soon as I hear back. Till then, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me."

The reason I asked is because, I got an offer 3-4 days after my interview with Lockheed Martin in Orlando, FL. However, I did something wrong in the online application and they turned down my contract. Anyway, I know that normally, it will be about 2 weeks to expect a call from the HR. But my friend said that if they choose me, there's no reason to interview other candidates. What do you think?

71 months ago

mervin1975,

After I calculate the date you posted your message. I think it's been 3 weeks before they offer you a job, right?

71 months ago

First off NGC got a 178 billion dollar contract from DoD, and they are hiring Software Engineers like crazy. The location I applied at is hiring over 30. In your case you need to actually call them if you can, and talk to HR. The good thing is they did not automatically reject you, they are looking to probably hire a few of you, and they want to contact all at the same time. I was fortunate, and they offered me the job on the spot (never happens). You want to keep them aware of how you are serious about the job, but also don't want to sound desperate and get them aggravated. Did you get the managers business card at the interview? If so contact them directly, if not ask HR if you can contact them, just to make sure they didn't need anything else, or maybe a second interview, that way you can read the way they talk to you, and can find out if they are serious about you or not. They offered me the job on the spot, but it took 2 weeks for the actual offer to come through, so that is what you might be waiting on. If you need anything else feel free to ask, and the best of luck.

71 months ago

Well they told me they were going to make an offer, but it took about 2 weeks to actually get it, but I asked them a date each time, and they told me that is would be this certain day, and I contacted them directly via telephone, and then they would tell me they are still waiting, them I asked when do you think it will come in, and when they told me a day, I asked them if it was ok for me to contact them if I don't see by then, and they always said no problem. You have to be persistent, but not a nag. I am in my relocation portion of it now. Once you get the offer and accept it, then it takes at least a month until you start.

71 months ago

mervin1975,

Actually, they are many position that they ask me if I want to do. I got 4-separate interview, so I guess 3-4 positions available at this point. Let's hope the reason that took they so long to call me is because they wait to contact all selected candidate at the same time as you said.

And yes..I got the hiring manager business card after the interview. I did ask for business card from everyone who interview me. Some of them didn't have it, so I asked for their email instead and I sent out a thank you letter to each one of them already.
I didn't plan to call him the week after the interview because I think it is too fast to ask. However, I will call him this week, see how he react to my call.

Thanks again,

71 months ago

mervin1975,

I called the hiring manager today and told him that I didn't get any contact over the past week. He told me that he sorry to hear that, but someone in the HR should contact me soon. He told me that his intention is he gonna offer me a job, but he can't say it officially since the HR will take that process and he just submitted a paper work today(He interviewed the last candidate today also).

So....I will take his word and see what happen next.

71 months ago

Well excellent, that is definitely good to hear. I would give them another week, then call HR and see if anything came up. It took about a week for the paper work to be ready from the hiring manager to the HR person.

71 months ago

Hi Mervin,

Do most of the software jobs at NGC require a security clearance? If so, is it the case that you really have to be even more qualified for them to overlook the fact that you don't have one or does that not matter?

71 months ago

i.e...I don't have a security clearance. Is it worth looking into and applying to NGC jobs that explicitly advertise "security clearance required"

71 months ago

You can try, but am 90% positive you will not be selected, but if they are entry level, then you have a chance, it just means that you will have ot get one when you get in. I just got all my paperwork for my clearance, and OMG it is very picky.

71 months ago

I didn't have a security clearance either. Actually, I'm have dual citizenship. I was born here in California, but my parents are Thai. In the job description, it said "security clerance required" However, they still interviewed me.
My guess is, it won't matter even you didn't have a clearance since the company will make you get one(IF!! they offer you a job)

71 months ago

All of them require a clearance, maybe besides receptionist, but most of the entry level just means you have ot be able to aquire one, which they will pay for.

71 months ago

Your ok then, that just means that you have to be able to get one. Just becuase you have relatives out of hte US doesn't disqualify you. There is a section that you have to fill out of those types of things, and they will take care of it. NGC pays for the security clearance,all of it.

71 months ago

Thanks Mervin....you makes me feel a lot more comfortable. Anyway, I still wait for the HR to call in and said "We would like to offer you a job"

Celeste Fraleigh in Virginia Beach, Virginia

71 months ago

I have a quick question. Can anyone explain the hiring process for NGC to me. I have three applications in and all have been sent to the hiring manager for review. All jobs a entry-level jobs. I currently have a security clearance and I have done eight years in the Navy. I am really kicking myself for not going into a technical job when I joined the Navy. Anyways, I have been at this stage for a while. I see that some people have recieved a phone call with in the first week. Can any one help me please

Reverbial in Richmond Hill, Georgia

71 months ago

Celeste Fraleigh in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have a quick question.

You really need to be an "Exact" fit to get past the hiring manager review. In some cases, the company may only be bidding on a contract and gathering resumes for the potential contract. If they lose the contract, you may not even get called. Keep applying to everything that might be a fit. What is your background anyway???

Celeste Fraleigh in Virginia Beach, Virginia

71 months ago

I was an operation specialist. I controlled aircraft instead of going into the Link/GCCS side of my rate. I am really kicking myself for that. The past two years I was a the tax center, so that hurts me too. I have over six years of supervisor experience. The three jobs I put in for are all job-entry level. I have emailed the recruit about a week and half ago and still nothing. I just wish that they would say not selected instead of making me wait so long. I currently am working on a degree in Management and I should graduate in Summer of 2009. Other then that, I have nothing.

Reverbial in Richmond Hill, Georgia

71 months ago

Celeste Fraleigh in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I was an operation specialist.

I am a Former EW/CTT. Send me your resume and let's continue to communicate via email. phillip.crandell(at)us.army.mil No promises though...

VA-37 in Cincinnati, Ohio

71 months ago

Good Morning Celeste,

Use to be that defense contractors had requirements that drove them to hire veterans. And, typically they did. They has many non-manufacturing specialties like Logistics Engineering where the requirements and knoweldge were not / are not available through higher education and had to be taught on the job. Most of those requirements are now either gone or significantly minimized. Right now if you are a big manufacturing company / defense contractor you are trying to reduce your costs. The only real varible cost that a company can reduce is the employee population, hence bare minimium to perform the job. This makes it harder for you to get an interview for employment. Now a days you have to bring something that they need in order to get an interview. This is how is works, you are in the military and working on the avionics system for the F/A-18 Hornet. You get out an you approach Boeing (formerly MacDonnell Douglas) and submit your resume. If human resources has been given a requirement for an avionics type then your resume will be floated through the avionics group to see if they think that you are what they are looking for. If they determine that you are not right for the job you are dead. If they think that you might be the right candidate then you will be contacted and an interview will be scheduled. When you do interview you will be handed off to each of the people on within the avionics group to sit with you and interview you. This will either support their earlier decision "that you may be the right person for the job" or they will see that it is not a good fit, in which case you will not get the job.

Now you coming out of the military with no skill that I need, you only have one chance of getting the job and only one. You have to know someone already in the company, and in good standing with the managers of the company. Sorry, but because of the perceived loftiness of white collar jobs - they are usually controlled that way.

71 months ago

If the hiring manager got your resume that is good, that means HR qualified you for those jobs, you just have to be picked now for the interview, which can take a awhile.

71 months ago

They really look for those people that have degrees, for those entry level positions. If you have some practicle work xperience then that just butters you up a bit. If you knew someone in the company that can refer you, that goes a LONGGGG way, and could solidify your chances of getting a job.

Rudy in Phoenix, Arizona

71 months ago

Celeste Fraleigh in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have a quick question. Can anyone explain the hiring process for NGC to me. I have three applications in and all have been sent to the hiring manager for review. All jobs a entry-level jobs. I currently have a security clearance and I have done eight years in the Navy. I am really kicking myself for not going into a technical job when I joined the Navy. Anyways, I have been at this stage for a while. I see that some people have recieved a phone call with in the first week. Can any one help me please

It's been my experience that the contractors don't really want anyone with experience even if you have a security clearance. I should know I was an IT for 8 years and then got out in 2005 thinking that my experience and my security clearance would allow me to secure a job--it didn't. What they do want is someone with a college degree or someone that has the credentials that will apply directly with the job that you are applying for. I'm sure if you had the GCCS experience and security clearance you would be a fit somewhere, but since you don't, your chances are of landing a job are greatly reduced.

So, my advice to you is for you to finish your degree, and do the best that you possibly can to incorporate your experience in the Navy with the degree that you are going for. Also, remember there are other employers besides NG and LM such as local employers in your area that are willing to hire someone with experience, but with no college degree, just keep that in mind.

Seventeen Reasons in Bay Area, California

71 months ago

Northrop Grumman is the worst company any one can ever work hard. They always
talk about software process but they don't use "use cases", class diagrams,
sequence diagrams, and don't even have a software architect. They don't
even recognize that there actually is architecture in software which needs to
be ironed out. After working for this company for 2 years, I am deeply frustrated
to have to pay taxes for such lame products being put out by this company. Most
managers at Northrop are lame, incompetent, don't help you build up your career,
and the senior level engineers dump as much work as they can onto other people's
plates. It might be hot potato at other companies, but at Northrop its nothing
but hot potato every day with meetings which waste time. The documentation
produced are never even looked at ever again except that the Government wants
us to do it. I've been with Northrop for 2 years and in the defense industry
for 4 years.

For anyone even considering the defense industry, don't bother going unless you
are looking for people who are full of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Seventeen Reasons in Bay Area, California

71 months ago

Oops I meant to say work for and not work hard.

71 months ago

I talked to them during the interview about what type of tools (software) they use during the development process, and they stated that they use to use an archaic system, but they are upgrading and sending their people back to school for hte new system, which I already have done through schooling. Each location has different manager, so saying they are all lame is ignorant. I understand you had a bad time there, but maybe it was a little on both sides that had problems. If you are still there I hope it gets better for you, but if not I wish you luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Guys,

I got the job offer today. However, I told the HR that I have dual citizenship. I was born here, but my parents are both Thai.
The HR told me that, this might cause a problem. I might have to denounce my Thai citizenship in order to get a clearance. So...I called Thai embassy and ask them about this issue. They told me that there're 2 options:

1) Surrender my Thai passport which won't take long and I will get the confirmation paper work to show NG.
2) Completely denounce my Thai citizenship which will take at least 5-10 years in process.

Obviously, the 1st option is my only way. The question is:
Do you guys believe that only surrender a foreign passport will grant me a clearance(If other issues won't take into account)?
The HR told me that he will call security person and ask them what to do...right now...I'm just wait again..

This is what I found in Wikipedia

Dual citizenship in itself is not the major problem in obtaining or retaining security clearance in the United States. As a matter of fact, if a security clearance applicant's dual citizenship is "based solely on parents' citizenship or birth in a foreign country", that can be a mitigating condition. However, exercising (taking advantage of the entitlements of) a non-U.S. citizenship can cause problems. For example, possession and/or use of a foreign passport is a condition disqualifying from security clearance and "... is not mitigated by reasons of personal convenience, safety, requirements of foreign law, or the identity of the foreign country" as is explicitly clarified in a Department of Defense policy memorandum which defines a guideline requiring that "... any clearance be denied or revoked unless the applicant surrenders the foreign passport or obtains official permission for its use from the appropriate agency of the United States Government"

What do you guys think? If someone had the same experience before, you're welcome here to share you idea.

71 months ago

It think sending in your passport will be fine. If you denounce you citizenship will they give you paperwork saying you are in process? Just make sure from NGC security that it is ok before doing it. Congrats by the way, and the best if luck.

Rudy in Tucson, Arizona

71 months ago

I've searched around and it seems as though the consensus is that you will probably not be able to obtain an interim clearance as fast as someone who doesn’t have dual citizenship. An interim clearance allows you to work within a classified environment even though you don't officially hold the clearance.

However, in your case since you have dual citizenship they will obviously need to do a more thorough background investigation, which could take up to a year. Depending on the needs of the company, they might follow through with their job offer or withdraw the offer completely.

71 months ago

This is not good.
Anyway, I'll keep you guys post. Will let you know what happen next.

redmondflier in Oregon

71 months ago

Mervin, have you relocated yet? I'm in the process of getting through my security clearance, which seems to be a lot more in depth than I remember when I enlisted a decade ago! We're hoping to be down there by the beginning of next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I am leaving today. I am also in hte middle of filling out that huge package for the security clearnace. I already did the one before it. I have 20 days to get the other one back to them. It has so much stuff on it, some stuff I don't remember, hehe. Hopefully I get it all in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.