Northrop Grumman Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 157)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

redmondflier in Oregon

73 months ago

That's awesome! Good luck to you! I finished my package on Friday...printed out 39 pages! At least I'm not going for a top secret yet...7 years is hard enough to remember much less 10! I really really need to start writing things down!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jrmatthe in Irvine, California

72 months ago

Mervin,

Can I ask you how much your starting salary is? I know its inappropriate to ask these sorts of questions, but I cant for the life of me figure out a competitive salary for an entry level software engineer at northrop grumman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

oh, and I should mention that I will be receiving a BS in Computer Science (I already have another BA in philosophy, which probably wont mean much to NG, haha).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mervin1975 in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

My first offer was 68,600. Someone that advised that works for the DoD, told me everyone he knows that works in NGC said not to accept the first offer. That amount was good for me, but I listened to him, and I came back with another amount, and they gave me more than what I was asking for, and also gave me a 5k sign on, and a 5k relocation. I won't say my actual start but it was more than what I asked for. It was between 71k and 74k

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

thank you so much! that's very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

varasinp in Palm Bay, Florida

72 months ago

Mervin,

Mine was similar. They offer me 67K something plus 5k sign no relocation though. I accepted the first offer because I just graduated and have no experience. I applied for a Software Engineer I position but since I got master degree they automatically gave me a level 2 position.

About my dual citizenship, the recruiter asked me to meet him tomorrow and give my Non-US passport to the security office. I believed everything should be okay now.

SomethingNew in Dallas, Texas

72 months ago

redmondflier in Oregon said: My experience with NGC has been outstanding thus far. It's hard to imagine that some folks have sent in over 100 applications without a single response. I first contacted NGC on the 3rd of last month, was interviewed over the phone a week later. Was flown down to LA (all expenses paid) for my face to face interview a week later and was just offered the job this morning. The people I'll be working with are an outstanding and very professional group, the HR folks I've spoken to were very nice and respectful, not to mention informed! Something I rarely encounter when looking at a new place of work.

I'm very much looking forward to working at NGC, especially since I got set up with an awesome program that'll be around for the better part of this century!

Were you able to find out what the salary band was on your position before the job was offered to you?

redmondflier in Oregon

72 months ago

SomethingNew in Dallas, Texas said: Were you able to find out what the salary band was on your position before the job was offered to you?

Consider the type of position it is and where it's located, it was kinda hard to really determine a salary range...I was figuring it as something between a tech writer and an engineer. Put the range between 64k - 72k...I was pretty darn close.

72 months ago

What level are you in your career?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Redmondflier,

How long did it take after your second interview for them to contact you with an offer? Was this offer by phone or mail? I am just curious. I am currently in their process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

redmondflier in Oregon said: Consider the type of position it is and where it's located, it was kinda hard to really determine a salary range...I was figuring it as something between a tech writer and an engineer. Put the range between 64k - 72k...I was pretty darn close.

Redmondflier,

How long did it take after your second interview for them to contact you with an offer? Was this offer by phone or mail? I am just curious. I am currently in their process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

redmondflier in Oregon

72 months ago

SomethingNew in Dallas, Texas said: Redmondflier,

I received an offer by phone a week after the face to face and the actual letter by FedEx the next day. Depending wether or not you need a security clearence, things should flow pretty well after that. They have great contacts for relocation if needed and even the background check really isn't all that bad. Just make sure you have all your information available or else you'll be on the phone with your parents, neighbors and 1st grade teacher trying to recoup information they'll need. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

mervin1975 in Sacramento, California said: My first offer was 68,600. Someone that advised that works for the DoD, told me everyone he knows that works in NGC said not to accept the first offer. That amount was good for me, but I listened to him, and I came back with another amount, and they gave me more than what I was asking for, and also gave me a 5k sign on, and a 5k relocation. I won't say my actual start but it was more than what I asked for. It was between 71k and 74k

Merv, what was the original range that you provided to them when they asked for your salary requirements?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Space Wench in Cocoa, Florida

72 months ago

I am in the running for an 'Engineer 3' Test Director position w/ NG in the B-2 Depot program in Palmdale, CA. I had a phone interview last month & just returned from a trip out to the facility for an in-person interview. First, I want to say that the process thus far has been quite professional and both interviews with the hiring manager have been excellent.
Some have asked how long they take to cantact you. I was told by the hiring manager 3-4 weeks is the time frame. And I should hear something either way.
I think its positive since he opted to fly me out there after the telecon. The in-person interview seemed to be more focused on my work ethic and how I would handle 'what-if' scenarios. I got the feeling that my technical knowledge was a given & he was trying to determine my fit with his team.
A few questions...
1. My research has shown that similar job classifications in LA County are paying mid-range $105K if you already have a secret clearance. Any thoughts/experience from anyone out there?
2. A recruiter contacted me today to ask for my most recent paystub & whether I rent or own my house here in FL. I gave the info...but does anyone know why they would ask these things?

Babes in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

Can anybody help me to get a job at NGC. My application status is Hiring Manger for Review, since Oct. but so far I haven't heard or got an email for them.
Do I have to call them? I don't have a contact name or number. I applied in Carson, Ca. I dont know anybody who works in that location. I read on this forum you have to know someone to get the job. And one more question, is it true that the work schedule is 9/80? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

happythoughts in Pasadena, Maryland

70 months ago

From a person that was selected...

Northrop Grumman ES in Linthicum has many reasons why the negative comments appear here. There a small pocket groups in the BWI facility which are quite dishonest. These groups are led by people that have no real education but have "worked" themselves up by stabbing others.

You will be baited into a position promised that you will have career growth and will be doing a particular type of work. It will all seem fantastic for couple years. Once you are on the track thinking happy thoughts you will find some excuse not to get raises. All of the suddent you will be only doing testing or meaningless tasks. You will find that all your tasks right before completion some individual will be assigned to "help" you finish because they are concerned. What they are really doing is setting up the other person to get a bonus for your work. You will find that after several years of this you will try to leave a group. The HR and management will work together in some groups to prevent you from transferring. If you try to interview or leave you will find ten people all of the sudden willing to say you committed some security violation. You will find that once you do get away from that group and go to another company the group you left will call your new employers and suggest ways to keep you.

This is a small subset of a division that does this. Look out for key phrases such as when you catch a manager in a lie they will say I am a christian and would never do that.

Watch for the always being on two or three projects. It is really easy to switch the priorities right before a delivery. This way they get the work done BUT manage to have excuse not for a raise.

Watch for the fact that you are doing all the work but certain little features have to be done by someone with certain knowledge. This means your not in the click or in crowd so your just being used.

I worked there for a long period of time. Certain groups suck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I hate to say this but they manage to survive. Do not be mislead by the zombie routine. The managers are experts in not commitment. The techniques used for employee morale and encouragement are documented in a book called. "Mobbing in the Workforce" and another book called "The Workforce Bully"

These folks are experts at forgetting what they agreed to. Do not confuse lazy and slow with deliberate manipulation!

If you hire into this company and see any quesitonable behavior get out immediately. Withing a couple days of being hired in some groups they will have mapped out your 18 month raise schedule and promotions for rest of your life. The only change you will affect by how you work is to negate any raises for that year by not kissing the management behind.
Again, this is couple groups within the company. Nobody will help you ever to get away from the dishonest groups because they have seen what happens to the folks that have helped people.

I hired in with 8 people same time. I was last one to leave. All but one person of the 8 are going through same thing. You have the managment calling you new employer slandering you. If you leave certain groups at NGC you will never work in that industry again. If you do work you will never be doing work at your level again as the treatment will be continued.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

When you interview for NGC in a group this means the dishonest managers are looking for a bait and switch. If you one on one with a manager with a specific req you are probably talking to an honest manager. If however they have a range of positions or some phrase like this you are being sucked into a dishonest group that cannot hold onto people.
Once your into one of these groups your career options are gone. You will only be allowed to work for a certain set of managers that all strive to give the same treatment. There are management coos of folks that treat people like garbage. If you go to HR they will put you in one of the sister bad managment groups and never will you get outside that circle. If you leave the company they will all work together to protect themselves and make you look bad.

There are good groups but you have to be really sharp in beginning to recognize if you talking to one of those or one of the bad group managers.

When dealing with a defense company never interview without a specific job req as typically you will be promised a lot and not receive it.
A manager that writes a req plans in advance and is probably a good one.

Babes in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

happythoughts in Pasadena, Maryland said: I hate to say this but they manage to survive. Do not be mislead by the zombie routine. The managers are experts in not commitment. The techniques used for employee morale and encouragement are documented in a book called. "Mobbing in the Workforce" and another book called "The Workforce Bully"

These folks are experts at forgetting what they agreed to. Do not confuse lazy and slow with deliberate manipulation!

If you hire into this company and see any quesitonable behavior get out immediately. Withing a couple days of being hired in some groups they will have mapped out your 18 month raise schedule and promotions for rest of your life. The only change you will affect by how you work is to negate any raises for that year by not kissing the management behind.
Again, this is couple groups within the company. Nobody will help you ever to get away from the dishonest groups because they have seen what happens to the folks that have helped people.

I hired in with 8 people same time. I was last one to leave. All but one person of the 8 are going through same thing. You have the managment calling you new employer slandering you. If you leave certain groups at NGC you will never work in that industry again. If you do work you will never be doing work at your level again as the treatment will be continued.

I believed there is a law in califonia regarding verification 0f employment reference and for sure NGC is so big that they know the rules and regulation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

turtlemountain in ojai, California

70 months ago

I was in a similar position, but was never called by the location that had me under "hiring manager review." Instead another location called me, which I had applied at. That location never upgraded me to "hiring manager review," even though they are offering me a job.
So what am I trying to say, "Don't put to much stock in the website candidate classification status, other than if you get to the point of 'Hiring Manager Review' then you're probably in the running for several jobs.
I never made any contact with NG prior to the HR phone call to come in for an interview, and I didn't know anyone inside.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I wish I had checked out this site before I hired into black hell hole. I found the company is really great except there are pockets of management that practice more deception than they do work ethic. Watch out for managers claiming to be "christians" when you question them. Watch out for the two or more task(s) in parallel. This ploy is used to prevent you from completing all your assignements in time. A way to deliberately lower you evaluations. They will shift the schedules. Be cautious of the team leads that only schedule meetings which will be doing your evaluation. You will find these are the folks that will wait until your 99% complete on a task to get a friend of thiers to champion it to completion so they get the raise and you get the low eval.

Most of all watch out for the after leaving Northrop Grumman. Be sure you close out your Security Clearance. This will slow them down some but more than likely for ten years following leaving NGC they will haunt you. Again, this is some management. It took two years to undo the "accidental" mistakes the SSO did to my file. You see if my clearance had been in JPAS properly I could have transferred to an honest management chain. Instead this was kept secret. If you leave your file open this will create the mechanism for your SSO and manager to slander you at your next job.

Again, you may be lucky to get a good job. You may however meet certain demise of your chances of a career if you hire into a bad group. There are managers working together with team leads to control you from day one of your job at NGC.

The PDP program is really good because they are taught the process which prevents them from being a victim.

I hired in around the same time as about ten people of which 8 were in my group. At three months one engineer got his eval, and threw it at the manager and called a friend in another NGC site in another state and left.

Out of space.

70 months ago

Continued from no space...

One person was forced to sign a demotion letter because he could only work 50 or so hours due to train for commute. It is pretty easy to pile on so much work and get a couple "mob members" to discredit someone.

One person was setup. A phd RADAR individual is not someone that does programming. To expect them to fix someone elses tangle weaved code in a week is a deliberate setup. Keep in mind the people judging this individual could only schedule meetings. In fact two individuals on the senior level could not even use word or powerpoint. What kind of engineer cannot use a word processor and ppt after 15-25 years in a company. Yet they judge others evals.

Myself. I developed with PDP help three gate array images, three windows device drivers, 8000 lines of code in Java, C, C++. I was a little late than the six month schedule and got a really low eval. Keep in mind all the equipment sat on the dock.

The people rating your evals have absolutely no skills! Well that is not true. They have mastered the techniques described in the book "Mobbing - Emotional Abuse in the American Workforce." If you have not read this book be sure you do prior to working at NGC. If you already work there you should still read it especially before you leave. If you are already there in NGC and are reading this site by now you have discovered it sucks there. This book will help you understand what they have done to you. Be sure to close out your JPAS file from NGC and be sure to get the written documents signed by SSO. If they do not do this they are messing with your file.

Yes I am quite upset. It took me two years to convince my friends whom are now in the same issues I went through and are having difficulty getting jobs.

If you have not hired on yet do not really believe you can transfer within the company. Perhaps with a good manager. Others will slander and hinder you. So you will leave to another company where followed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Babes in Los Angeles, California said: I believed there is a law in califonia regarding verification 0f employment reference and for sure NGC is so big that they know the rules and regulation.

Yes there are laws. It is however legal for a NGC manager to call a person on the project you are trying to go to in another company. People trying to get back in at NGC or want promotion will scan your resume when you interview at another company. If they see NGC they will call someone else in NGC to get the scoop. It is legal for friends to talk to friends. You will also find the SSOs feel it is thier patriotic duty to forward information about you.

For example, you apply at a position in another state with say lockheed. Most projects have NGC on them for hardware even though lockheed prime. The NGC folk will see NGC on your resume and call to your previous manager project folks if they know them to get the scoop.
I thought people were on drugs when they told me you could never leave the manager I worked for. It took me two years to convince my friends and siblings. My brother's manager told my brother that I should brace myself. I have seen comments on job vent .com and other sites where folks leaving could not work in industry for ten years.

Again, some managers are extreme. Most are great and the company is great. Dishonesty is a function of narcistic tendencies. Read "Mobbing - Emotional Abuse In the Workforce" and "The Bully At Work" before you hire in. Read Job Vent.com also.

70 months ago

turtlemountain in ojai, California said: I was in a similar position, but was never called by the location that had me under "hiring manager review." Instead another location called me, which I had applied at. That location never upgraded me to "hiring manager review," even though they are offering me a job.
So what am I trying to say, "Don't put to much stock in the website candidate classification status, other than if you get to the point of 'Hiring Manager Review' then you're probably in the running for several jobs.
I never made any contact with NG prior to the HR phone call to come in for an interview, and I didn't know anyone inside.

To follow up it took me about a month to get an official offer after I was told that one would be made.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

turtlemountain in ojai, California said: To follow up it took me about a month to get an official offer after I was told that one would be made.

One more thing, I was applying on the NG website for about 6 or 7 months before I received a call for an interview.

Engineer08 in Richmond, Virginia

70 months ago

happythoughts,

How would you go about closing Security Clearance? What is the procedure?

Thanks,

70 months ago

Engineer08 in Richmond, Virginia said: happythoughts,

How would you go about closing Security Clearance? What is the procedure?

Thanks,

You need to make sure it is closed when you leave the company. Make sure they give you the paperwork indicating as such from JPAS. Make them show you it is closed. From that point forward they cannot do anything with your entries in JPAS. Call the SSO and make sure it is closed. If it is not or you suspect so call DSS (if JPAS ) or agency in which you clearance is to get it closed. There are log entries for access to your file. From the time you leave the company and your entry is closed they still can haunt you for 10 years. Trust me you need to take this serious when dealing with NGC. There are some pretty dishonest things happening in DOD. There are a couple companies that participate in the salary control game. Your JPAS entry is a history of where you worked and the management can be determined based upon the Program in the JPAS entry which will never go away. You will see about 70% turnover in NGC for a reason. It is even worse after leaving when you try to find another job! It is in affect, price fixing of labor, which is a definition of organized crime!

The SSO at NGC "accidentally" left out some things from my file. When I went to next company they had to wait to get it cleared.

Several other companies do same. They look at your last job and can determine from JPAS where you worked and call and employee to get scoop. For example, hypothetically, you apply at Lockheed, the PM at Lockheed can call another LM employee working close to the NGC folks to get the scoop. This is legal! It is legal for people whom know each other to talk about you.

Engineer08 in Glen Allen, Virginia

70 months ago

happythoughts,

Thanks for the information.

69 months ago

Engineer08 in Glen Allen, Virginia said: happythoughts,

Thanks for the information.

It took me a while to figure out how NGC has a hold on folks. Your in the system for 10 years. If you leave one of the really vindictive managers you will not work in industry. Every time you apply at a job someone will see NGC on resume or in JPAS. They will call your old project. Your salary will be calculated as 1% each year from then on.

Seriously, the pathetic group I worked in has called every contract I have had in last two years. They say whatever they want. The group I worked in was full of vindictive people working together in a "mob".

Be sure to read the mobbing book.

Mobbing - Emotional Abuse in the American Workplace.

Required Reading if you work for a vindictive NGC group.

There are good groups at NGC. However , if ever put into a bad one your screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EEDropout in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

Merv,

I was just reading over this thread tonight and saw the comment you made 4 months ago about how if you didn't get more than a cost of living raise from NGC ask what you're doing wrong. I was pretty pissed. I worked at NGC for 2 1/2 years, and I swear to god I did the best that I possibly could. But every time it came to raises, they gave me 5% - the max raise that they give out at Rolling Meadows. This doesn't sound so bad until you factor in that I looked up what my salary was after the raise and compared it to the average that an electrical engineer makes in the Chicago area, and found that I was still being underpaid by 10,000$, and this is before bonuses - NGC doesn't give bonuses!!!

I would like to mention a few other things to people who are considering working at Northrop Grumman... hopefully this will help prevent you from wasting years of your life working for them.

1. This hires on more people then it needs then underpays all of them. I witnessed this with all the new hires, about 50% of younger employees don't have enough work to do so they end up doing tech work (this was me when I was there). Doesn't matter how smart with you, if you're lucky then you get work, if you're not then you don't. Kind of a bummer when 2 years down the road you realize you can't leave the company b/c you haven't learned anything during the time you were there and can't get hired anywhere else.

2. NGC blatently displays how little they care about you at every possible opportunity. You already know about the salary situation. Our building had no windows except in the cafeteria, and was as bland as could be in every way. You had to PAY to go to the company Christmas party. If you were cleared, there were lots of "fun" posters in every locked-down room telling you how you would go to jail forever if you peeped NGC's secrets. (cont'd on the next post b/c I'm hitting the character limit)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

(2. cont'd) My personal favorite - when a snowy day was forecasted in the winter, they would send you an email telling you to call the NGC weather hotline to see whether the facility was closed. When you called the hotline, it was a pre-recorded messege that simply said "NGC's policy is to never close it's facilities, regardless of weather conditions."

3. Seems that the only people who work at this company are people who are tied here because they have a kid or mortgage/they have an engineering degree and can't find another job in the Chicago area/are young and got recruited right out of college and don't know enough about the work world to know that they need to look for another job/are incompetent and can't find another job. I only met like 2-3 people who actually liked working here, almost everyone else has to work here because of an obligation.

4. This company is sooooo inefficient. Like I said earlier, I was doing the work of a lab tech, and I had an engineering degree... this was because my program was very badly managed and was a total wreck. Everything was so disorganized. This was the main reason I left, I felt that I couldn't learn anything because there was no leadership, documentation, or people who I could talk to who knew what was going on.

Here are the effects that this job had on me:
- I was depressed for about a year and had low self-esteem, basically because I thought I was dumb (they wouldn't let me do any engineering work!)
- I am completely soured on large companies
- I am completely soured on government/defense contractors
- I dropped out of electrical engineering (now doing software

My life is 100% better now that I don't work there anymore, and I feel that quitting was the best decision I ever made. Everybody else I know who worked there who was worth their salt has quit or is quitting.

I worked at the ROLLING MEADOWS facility. Please, if you enjoy learning and growing in your career, don't work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Engineer08 in Richmond, Virginia

69 months ago

Does anyone have an opinion(s) on Newport News facility?

jdoug in Huntsville, Alabama

69 months ago

do you know any of the name

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

EEDropout.

You should be happy with 5%. Most people at NGC get 1.5% every other year. The management give themselves about 7% and take serious bonus money. The bonus money is "earned" from the programs by reducing your labor cost.

Your manager obviously liked you and wanted to keep you. They will do this until your sucked into the pension track.

Yes, I think a lot of people are upset at the DOD contracting game. Northrop cannot keep anybody because of all the idiot managers playing thier mind control games.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE NGC MAKE SURE YOUR JPAS is closed out.

NGC will be on your record for 10 years from time you close it out. They will prevent you from working for ten years. Maybe not prevent from working but thier control will surface every time you start a new job. The Program Manager at any DOD contract agency will "look you up" in JPAS to find out where and when you worked and how much you made. A nifty 1 % raise per year is all your allowed to have once you leave NGC.

Very dishonest company!

The group I worked for was so pathetic. They still call all my employers. I left NGC 2.5 years ago. They will say whatever it takes to keep you from working. The retired people will fuel the discussions.

NGC is at least a ten year commitment!!!!! If you try to jump out you will be screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

It is good your Linthicum experience is limited only to raises and unskilled coworkers. There are some very vindictive people in ES at Linthicum. It took me many months to convince my relatives of what is going on. I watched 18 people hire into that particular group and I watched all but 1 get destroyed.

If you are constantly only working with people in your own group and not allowed to work with other groups be aware. If your evaluations seem to make no sense be aware. Mostly be aware if you are to try to find another job, the companies in MD, VA, DC etc. will phone phone to the ES sector. When this occurs your clearance etc will all of the sudden have infractions against it. My friends thought I was on drugs until they tried to leave and found out the hard way that you cannot leave the ES sector in MD.

69 months ago

Rudy
with Dual Citizenship you cannot do a full scope poly. With the merging of all the key systems this is must for most of the intelligience work.
Nobody in your immediate family can be of another origin than US nowadays.

Interim clearance is a really questionable idea. Secret, Top Secret, etc Interim??? Interim Secret is pretty much useless because you cannot get any special access badges which are requried for most of the non-intel work.

NSA can do a dual track clearance in sixty days except you are dual citizenship which will slow you down and you will not get poly.

69 months ago

Engineer 08
BTW I did not mention. Depending upon your status in JPAS you can get your file through FOI Act. Write a letter with all your particulars, date and place of birth, ssn. etc. (Instructions on FOI web site.) Get it notarized or signature guaranteed and mail it.

If you clearance is 100% all closed you will get your file. If however you did not get it closed than technically it is active and you cannot get it. You need to get each company still having it open to close it. Most honest companies do this when you exit. NGC will keep it open for 18 or so months after you leave so they can "help" you.

If the FOI Act folks indicates a delay getting your file you will have to go see Congressman / woman in your area to undo the damage.

By the way do not be so sure your clearance is in the state your NGC SO tells you. I had my clearance for two years. They knew I could transfer if other managers knew this. So the SSO never entered it. Cute tricks they play at NGC.
I got really messed over. At least that is what all the companies I have talked to tell me. I am writing a book for the Obama leadership team. I am trying to get hired onto his staff to change the rules for DOD companies like NGC to prevent the dishonest techniques they use.

There are something like 7000 cases pending for similar in DOD.

69 months ago

Nida Dallas Texas said: I have interview for Sr. Accountant before and I do not like the Manager at all. He is looking for alomst 4 months and he hadn't find anyone yet. Or I guest people quit the job soon. I heard a lot of overtime for accounting at Northgroup.

Overtime is at least paid in ES. Accounting job might be tied to contract. you should read Kevin's discussion above. Probably his old job. Budgets start / stop alot. In MD there are many jobs at NGC. Just be wiery of the bad managers and techniques. They honestly cannot fill the jobs they have.

My previous manager will do whatever he can to prevent me. It is really funny looking at the managers that want to hire me but cannot because of prveious manager. This guy really is pathetic. He kept many old 286 computers in case they would be needed in future. He applies the same to his staffing needs. You cannot leave certain groups!

My brother's boss wants to hire me but cannot get passed the previous manager.
Old farts in territorial roles have too much power. This is why 70% turnover in MD for NGC.

Accounting is not going to be in the same group.

69 months ago

Happythoughts, thanks for the advice, I will have to look into the security clearance being closed out. Thankfully I am totally out of the defense industry now and have no plans on going back, ever (another reason I left was I hated all the stuff that went along with clearances and how it contributed to the disorganization of the company in general/my program in particular). And since I am now getting paid 10k+ more than I was at NGC at my new job, I think that I have successfully escaped their salary trap. But you know how they say "never say never" - who knows, maybe I'll be desparate for a job in 5 years, and I will only be able to find one at a defense contractor.

69 months ago

EEDropOut
I wish I could get out of defense. The woman so called lead I worked for still calls all my employers. I left NGC 2.5 years ago and this woman gets all her "friends" to call my employers. All of the sudden my bosses treat me like crap after she does this. Then after I get someone to say my side of the story then the bosses realize they can screw me over in terms of raises etc.

My experiences for all that care to listen is the Senior Engineer at NGC with 15 plus years could not even do powerpoint or word. Seriously incompetent woman but so narcistic and vengeful.

Be really wiery at NGC in MD . They breed incompetenece and narcism. These people are pathetic!

You cannot ever transfer or leave or you will never work again.

There are at least thirteen people I know of that tried to commit suicide as a direct result of working for NGC.

This one group in NGC is sick! pathetic!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matthew McDonough in Plaistow, New Hampshire

69 months ago

The only way to top off this thread is somebody from a job shop throwing in $0.02.

I'm a recruiter for a tier 1 supplier to NGC. We currently have 105 job openings available all through the US (I found this thread looking for radar tech's). A majority of the people we have placed at NGC are very happy and would go back again.... There's always going to be unhappy folks - maybe the happier one's are the contrator's!! in, $$, and out...... ;-)

Matt
PS - any an/sps radar tech's out there - please send your resume!! matthew@tasctech.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

NGC BWI Facility managers work together to mess with individuals. Only certain managers. Contractors do not get messed with. Most contractors that convert will say same thing. Company good but watch out for West building at BWI facility. Here is a pretty accurate description of West building managemnet from someone that was unable to work for two years after quiting.

Virginia 03/22/2007: Hiring practices are deceptive and management at the highest levels do not demonstrate the that they understand or are even close to being concerned with the stated corporate values of the organization. While clearly this is a for profit organization with a responsibility toward shareholders their business practices are more often than not bordering on unethical and certainly immoral. Promotions are based more upon favoritism and backstabbing within peer groups is encouraged. If you want an environment that is high on stress and low on rewards this is the place for you. I went because I wanted to do the right thing for the military with a project that I had the skills, knowledge and background to be a success at. I ended up being slandered, cheated, and hospitalized for depression and stress. I wasn't the only one.

Northrop has about a 80% turnover in BWI West building for a reason!!!!

69 months ago

If you hire into NGC BWI facility
Make sure you....
1) read "Mobbing - Emotional Abuse in the Workforce".
2) hire in at rate you can afford with only 1% raises unless your willing to sell your soul.
3) never ever sign anything with HR. NGC management will set you up to get upset and then use this against you.
4) can handle low self esteem from evals because it is standard to hurt your chances of promotion / transfer. (Techniques to hold individuals as you cannot transfer with certain scores on evals.)
5) plan on doing all the work with no valid eval, raises, etc.

There are so many vindictive groups at Northrop BWI West building.

Of the 18 people I hired in with , only two of us are working after two years. 18 in and 18 out. Some folks would actually understand that when 18 people hire into and out of a group in a four year period there is something wrong. Again, you cannot transfer. The manager I had is known for this. My opinion you think. No, my sibling's manager told me and warned me when I was leaving.

When I left NGC I heard the security officer call my next two companies. I took a contract in CA and the prick manager called the management in CA.

This is SOP for NGC BWI West building folks.

Read JobVent.com ...

AGAIN THESE TACTICS ARE ONLY USED ON MID CAREER FOLKS AND ARE ONLY EXTREME IN BWI (LINTHICUM) WEST BUILDING. Most other facilities is standard DOD games.

carillegr@comcast.net in Richmond, Virginia

67 months ago

HI Kim - thanks for your positive response! I just applied for a communications position with VITA I at NG in Chester, VA. I have 15 years of experience and am a Harvard grad - looks like an excxellent match. The position is called an employee rep 4 - any idea what the salary might be for this level? I was given Deirdre Keane as a contact name there but don't know if she's the hiring manager. I'd really appreciate any connections to employees who work for the VITA IT Partnership or in the Employee or Corporate Communications functions to learn more about the group. Many thanks, Carille

resume and be able to solve problems. I remember not understanding some of the questions they asked. I just tried to work them out out loud so they know that I am thinking about the problem and how I would solve it with the knowledge I learned in school.

fatguyslim in Hilliard, Ohio

42 months ago

I worked at the Newport News Shipbuilding for about 2-1/2 before getting laid off. I can attest to just about everything that was said on here. If you wanna get promoted, you need to kiss some serious ass, that's something i just don't believe in. If a person does get laid off, their severance package sucks. I got roughly 1400 bucks minus the 25 percent for taxes for time spent. I can agree with "Happythoughts" as for as the evals go. The software that we used for design efforts is so outdated, that I cannot find another gig because no one uses it. (catia v4). The office building was dusty as heck, the lunch options were horrible and, heres the best, sometimes the director of design would "babysit" the doors waiting for people who would came in late, take their names and report them to the supervisor. Thats a heck of a way to spend the Navy's money.

ravi in Atlanta, Georgia

41 months ago

Can anyone recommend me for a job in NG ...plz

ravi in Atlanta, Georgia

41 months ago

Can anyone recoomend me to get a job in NG.. please

30 months ago

Babes in Los Angeles, California said: I believed there is a law in califonia regarding verification 0f employment reference and for sure NGC is so big that they know the rules and regulation.

I believe you do not understand the defense industry and how clearances transfer. In the ES sector the managers will have security put a flag on your file associated with JPAS. If you apply for another job at another company when the new project wants to look at your clearance they end up calling back to the SSO at NGC to understand the flag. Then the SSOs discuss you. If you leave certain groups at NGC you will not work again in DOD for ten years. Again this is a small umber of managers.

If you leave plan on never getting a raise at next company for quite some time.

The ES sector is responsible for many suicides from indiduals that left.

I know FOI people that left same group that had to go to another line of work.

NGC is a very sick company if you are in the ES for certain managers.

30 months ago

Matthew McDonough in Plaistow, New Hampshire said: The only way to top off this thread is somebody from a job shop throwing in $0.02.

I'm a recruiter for a tier 1 supplier to NGC. We currently have 105 job openings available all through the US (I found this thread looking for radar tech's). A majority of the people we have placed at NGC are very happy and would go back again.... There's always going to be unhappy folks - maybe the happier one's are the contrator's!! in, $$, and out...... ;-)

Matt
PS - any an/sps radar tech's out there - please send your resume!! matthew@tasctech.com

You know nothing of NGC ES. Ther are groups that really screw with you. You think this is one guy complaining. I have documented what they did to myself and ten others. The problem is most is done via the clearance conversations and therefor unusable I court. Thegroup I worked for...

10 people started on same day.
1 committed suicide.
1 attempted.
4 have not worked since leaving 5 years ago.
5 changed out of DOD.

There are very vindictive people in ES at BWi facility. I went to HR To get away from the dickhead I worked for. He uses needs of business to keep you. Nobody gets raises. In fact he tries to force you to take pay cuts. You cannot leave the group. Only way out is to leave company. I have several friends and relatives that will say same thing.

Next time isle a doubt message I will list the names of individuals. I have no problem because I have over thirty affidavits for slander calls that were done on myself.

Lawyers at NGC will cover it up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

elz in Vestal, New York

29 months ago

Can anyone tell me exactly which groups are the ones to watch out for? If you really want to help future NGC employees avoid the plethora of wrong doings mentioned throughout this thread, that would be the best way to do so. Thanks.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.