Office Max online application

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

Aga in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

112 months ago

The Office Max application asks for the SS number. Do you think it's safe? Those of you who applied/got a job, did you give it? I do not know but it is a bit strange especially at such an early stage of the recruiting process.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (173) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

112 months ago

Yes it's safe. As far as I know it's for criminal background searches (which it explains later in the application). I wouldn't worry about it, all online applications that I've taken are the same way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (113) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

FATU in Lowell, Massachusetts

112 months ago

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO WORK OFFICEMAX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (147) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Alabama

111 months ago

I had a job interview for this position several years ago. The equipment and job was nothing I hadn't seen before. Since then this position has run a hundred times on every job board that I know of and to my knowledge no one has ever been hired. I don't know if this is there idea of a joke or not but it seems like they are acting like a bunch of fools continually running this job. I have applied for this position again several times but have never gotten another reply or another job interview. I think these jerks are wasting everyone's time. They just want cheap, lots of work and no pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (79) Reply - Report abuse

Aga in Schaumburg, Illinois

111 months ago

It's interesting. I have observed the same thing for many other companies like HSBC, Sears or Siemens. They have been running the same job postings for a long, long time. You are asked to fill out elaborate applications and yet nothing comes out of it. I am just wondering if they are doing that for personal data collection. Anyway giving your social security number seems pretty early at this stage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Victorville, California

111 months ago

I wondered the same thing..AND I have known people with years of retail experience, that don't even get a call back..WHEN I applied at target a year ago, I know I did not get hired, because at that time I could not work enough hours, and they at least mailed me something saying I did not qualify. Is it really that hard for other places to DO?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

michael zarate in Toledo, Ohio

111 months ago

i am looking fouwed by getting a job office max

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Donivan Walker in Woodstock, Georgia

111 months ago

I am 17 years old looking for a job......i was informed of online applications for Office Max. I wasn't able to find the site.....What can i do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

111 months ago

The Office max online application is available by clicking on the Job Title that interests you most in the job search results. Here is a search I did for you. http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=office+max&l=woodstock+georgia Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bill

111 months ago

You have a problem. I believe like many other states that PA is a right to work state which means you can quit anytime and they can fire you anytime. I had the same problem in NM which is one of the most corrupt states for employment going. I even went to a lawyer and plain and simply put, 'if you don't have a written contract, you're dead.'

I relocated 1500 miles for a maintenance supervisor position only to find out the company was so far in debt they had no credit left anywhere on this planet and 3 months later I was let go as two of our plants went from 24/7 to less than 6 hrs./day 3 days per week. It cost me almost $5500 to move there and I could do nothing about it.

I learned a serious lesson, never relocate at a great distance without either a written contact or unless the company pays 100% relocation.

You should still contact an employment lawyer who gives 1/2 hr. free consultation and just ask what the law is in your state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Vancouver, Washington

110 months ago

Aga in Rolling Meadows, Illinois said: The Office Max application asks for the SS number. Do you think it's safe? Those of you who applied/got a job, did you give it? I do not know but it is a bit strange especially at such an early stage of the recruiting process.

As a Human Resources professional I don’t like the idea of a social security number floating around out there either. When I apply for positions I just use the last 4 digits of my social. You can always write a small note next to the box that states SS number will be supplied if I am a finalist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Geneva in West Lafayette, Indiana

110 months ago

I agree with your comments on the Sears Office Max and Seimans positions. I a very qualified for these positions, have spend tons of time completing their applications, and have never gotten even so much as an e-mail response. Giving out your social security number at the beginning stages of an application is not a reasonable request. After a face to face interview, IF they are considering hiring you, then they can do a background check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Taylor in Chaska, Minnesota

110 months ago

Aga in Rolling Meadows, Illinois said: The Office Max application asks for the SS number. Do you think it's safe? Those of you who applied/got a job, did you give it? I do not know but it is a bit strange especially at such an early stage of the recruiting process.

every application that I have filled out asks for your SS# I always just put in 0's and if they call me back for an interview then I give them the right one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

J in Cleveland, Ohio

110 months ago

Your scar likely qualifies you for a disability which falls under the ADA. That translates to -- you have an EEOC case against OfficeMax. I would check out ADA law and consider letting OfficeMax HR know you know the law.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mac McCandless in Saint Louis, Missouri

110 months ago

This application in somw ways helped me and in other ways didn't help me, it was a mixed feeling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

hosanna in Hawi, Hawaii

110 months ago

thanks for everyones comment it really helped me especially about social security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Britt M. G. in Hutchinson, Kansas

110 months ago

Well I don't know about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Britt in Hutchinson, Kansas

110 months ago

I was looking to fill out an application but I'm not really having any luck with this stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Herman in Mankato, Minnesota

110 months ago

yea same here, i cant find where the application is on the website

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JUDENE WALCOTT in Bridgeport, Connecticut

110 months ago

THAT WAS GOOD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

YES

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Alabama

109 months ago

JUDENE WALCOTT in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: YES

The companies do this to weed out the candidates quickly. It is like trying to automate the HR department. They look up as much info and make a quick judgment call (yes or no) about you without even giving you a chance at an interview.

It is safe provided that they are using a secure webpage that has the lock shown the lower right hand corner. If it isn't there do not send that kind of personal information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Luv2leave in Albuquerque, New Mexico

109 months ago

Bill said: You have a problem. I believe like many other states that PA is a right to work state which means you can quit anytime and they can fire you anytime. I had the same problem in NM which is one of the most corrupt states for employment going. I even went to a lawyer and plain and simply put, 'if you don't have a written contract, you're dead.'

Living in NM is awful. Horrible pay, few jobs, and a vicious state tax department. I've wanted to move out of this place for years now but can't get the wife to consider it. Yet. If I can ever talk her into it I'm outta here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Bama

109 months ago

Luv2leave in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Living in NM is awful. Horrible pay, few jobs, and a vicious state tax department. I've wanted to move out of this place for years now but can't get the wife to consider it. Yet. If I can ever talk her into it I'm outta here.

You didn't say where in NM you live or what your profession is.

I lived in both Paradise Hills and Rio Rancho where I owned my home. Sold it when I came to Bama for this major contract job for Honda. I had 20 tons of rock spread out to hold down the desert during high winds and sand storms but my neighbors didn't. I had my house filled with sand every time we got hit with a storm. Had to shovel out the sand like the people in New Orleans shovel out the mud.

You know the story about Rio Rancho. Seems the U.S. Government used it as a dumping ground for the witness protection program but after a while there were more people than jobs so they made the rest of them cops, ROTFLMAO.

Check out this cool site

www.rioranchodps.com/

Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

catdaddy

109 months ago

I worked for office max in ky it was the worst and crooked this store was corruped and when i called district about things they were just as worse. I was the operation supervisor .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Just Wondering in Chicago, Illinois

109 months ago

I NEVER do. I always put in "will provide upon offer." For one, the company is under no obligation to safeguard applicant data - employees maybe (depending on what's in the employee handbook), applicants no.

For another, company security is only as good as the employees. (Take a look at the AOL employee who sold millions of customer email addresses, the Coca-Cola employee recently convicted of trying to sell company trade secrets, or the even the Veterans Administration that twice lost laptops with veterans' personal data.

And third, it's just another way to screen you out. Why help them do that?

Having twice had my SSN used by others to illegally get unemployment benefits, this is a deal-breaker for me. If asked about it, I politely tell them "All companies have their policies and this one is mine." Most of them still call me back anyway.

In general, BE WARY OF APPLICATION FORMS. Just because something is on a form does not mean you have to complete every box. People are conditioned to do it, and sometimes companies take advantage of that by asking illegal questions on the form that they know can't ask you directly, hoping you'll just answer them anyway, such as marital status, own/rent, or birthday.

www.usatoday.com/careers/resources/interviewillegal.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sophie in Thomasville, North Carolina

108 months ago

This sounds like something a good attorney would love to get hold of. Had a similar experience years ago..working for better business bureau...went on job interview for better money..went through a process..phone contact...interview..was called and offered position..turned in notice at better bus. bur...then when I called to get date for training in a coastal city..was told by a DIFFERENT person there was a mistake or miscommunication between managers(right)..hoped it was not an inconvenience..needless to say I was not happy and should have SUED.

Jeremiah Knox in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania said: I went through the training and arrived for my first day of work on Thursday, April 12, 2007 15 minutes early.

Before I could even start working my supervisor and manager were in the hallway talking and looked up at me 3 times.

They said for me to remove my hat.

I was called into the office and was informed it wasn’t going to work out.

Note I didn’t even begin a full first day of work yet for them to have an evaluation.

Also no 90-day probation period was observed.

Moments after removing my hat I was asked to leave and that I was not going to work out.

I had just moved to Lancaster, PA from Hanover, PA based on having this job that I was told was mine.

I was given praise during the application period.

I also passed the drug testing.

Now I am without this job and it is because I have a surgery mark on my left side of my head.

What can I do?

I want to fight this the whole way as they treated me unfairly.

Jeremiah Knox

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

catdaddy

108 months ago

I should have sued the store in ky i had so much on the it isn;t even funny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

sarayabryant in Bear, Delaware

101 months ago

with the experiences that i have is why i feel as though this would be a good retail business or job for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

catdaddy

101 months ago

DON'T WORK FOR OFFICEMAX BAD PLACE TO WORK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

sage mayne

101 months ago

nothing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

koolbeans in Glendale, Arizona

100 months ago

I am a fast learner and very organized on time worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandrine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

95 months ago

sign me in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

doris spence in Elizabeth City, North Carolina

94 months ago

job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

notti insonni in Maywood, New Jersey

88 months ago

GO STAPLES!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

sarge00186@*****.*** in Waterville, Ohio

88 months ago

I did get a call about a position and it seemed to have gone well. However recruiter gave me name of DM and said he would set up another phone interview which never happened. Position still is showing open.Maybe just overqualified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

me?idunno

88 months ago

i found the site by googling office max jobs. found one close to me, applied and got hired..tommorrow will be my second day..

i know absolutely nothing about computers and printers..but he said that can be taught

my experience is 3 years retail n 1 year supervising experience..im going to school still cuz i slacked off lol im 23 and a junior in a state college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

carefulwhatyousay in Orange, Connecticut

85 months ago

i've worked for OfficeMax for a few years. I am currently employed there and it is not as easy to work there as one might think... unless you are friends with the management team and/ or District management. There is favoritism around every corner. Slacking off is encouraged and if a customer complains the management just laughs it off as the customer was in a bad mood. No wonder the store I work at is doing so poorly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

carefulwhatyousay in Orange, Connecticut

85 months ago

catdaddy said: DON'T WORK FOR OFFICEMAX BAD PLACE TO WORK

DEFINITELY !! go somewhere else anywhere else!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

garyhenry in knoxville, Tennessee

80 months ago

i would like a job doing removel of merchandise from the floor or somthing like logging supplies on computer.I been out of work for a long time and i need a job because i'm on the verge of losing my home to foreclosure. I can't get mortage modified until i get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

rperry@*****.*** in Salinas, California

56 months ago

I believe it is a safe process. There will always be background checks and that is a useful tool. Besides if it gets into the wrong hands, then there is an internal problem, which I can't see happening with such a large corporation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker in Green Bay, Wisconsin

56 months ago

You all should know that, the very NEXT day, not 3 months later, I was contacted by office max to set up an interview for a store manager position. Remember, recruiters are looking at a combination of education, retail experience, background in business and people skills. Timing is also a big player. If there is a need, and you fall into the "meet" criteria for consideration, your in the game, otherwise, move on and try other companies that see you as a good fit. Hang in there. The system works, it just depends on the individual and how serious he/she is about making a career move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.