Layoffs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 170)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

55 months ago

I think you're right about that. all of it!! I think the more money & more seniority you have you'll be the 1st to go. I just got news from my manager today that the Impress guidelines are of course based on $$$$. If you fall below expectations in sales for Impress in your mini, you will no longer have a supervisor position.--you will have to re-apply. In our district they want regular associates to watch impress for the last hour it's open every day, instead of other impress associates. This will help cut impress staff hours and use the one associate we have over there till we close. We usually get busy during the last hour believe it or not,, for some reason. The associate has to be at least a "yellow belt" in impress however. This will definitely cut into our store recovery time, etc, etc. Oh well, you do what you gotta do!!! I don't think Sam is done yet with cost cutting initiatives for 2010!! Never say never about the 1 manager, 1 asst, 1 key carrier. that would be 1 position over 1,000 stores!!! You know what happens when you say "never happen" with OMAX!! I've seen so much stuff over the last 15 years nothing surprises me anymore.!!! Thanks for your figures on your store!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

55 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Hi Briar:

Can you tell me what your head count is, ie: how many keys, etc? Just curious! Thanks

off the top of my head 13 or so 4 sets of keys total

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

55 months ago

knightfal in Maryland said: If you increase your sales to the next payroll staffing model you will get more payroll dollars. Customer service is one of their three main objectives, running under staffed stored will not accomplish great customer service and thats not what they want.

I don't have faith in that - I stomped plan last year and I'm getting few hours this year :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

55 months ago

I have to agree that the higher paid associates are going to be the 1st to go. They'll figure out away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

55 months ago

Customer Service has always been one of their main initiatives for years. They talk more about it now than ever as they cut down on payroll, get rid of seasoned associates that actually know about electronics, Impress, furniture & etc. They have always talked out of both sides of their mouth on this! As far as stores getting more payroll if they can make their numbers, well they revamp plans every year to impossible standards, so only a select few stores actually make their numbers, but their DM's get their raises based on factors such as keeping payroll to a minimum. So why would a DM even want to give his stores more payroll knowing it's going to affect his profit? I don't buy it either!! He also makes bonus based on highest gross margin., which you don't have to have high sales to accomplish this. We've all seen this accomplished on the Sales Trend Report. Watch their next steps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

justlaidoff in New York

55 months ago

i was one opp sup that was let go but guess what we had 2 key postions opened...smh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tee in Wheaton, Illinois

31 months ago

Mary in Naperville, Illinois said: Hi,
I think OFFICEMAx WANT TO PORTRAY THIS WONDERFUL IMAGE OF how wonderful they are and all the stuff about the core values but the problem they have is they don't follow them in upper management. I am doing alright-what happened in myu family nevers leaves you. If you went throught the experience of watching someone die from meso you would know what I meant. It is truly devastating. I appreciate your kindness. Mary

Mary,

I have worked for OfficeMax also and just left in November of 2011...they are the worst. They do not follow their so called core values. I had HR in a meeting with me from a man in upper Management and she allowed him to stand up and yell at me as if I was a little kid. I had four deathes in my family in the year 2011 and no one seemed to care. They are rude and unprofessional people. I worked in the Naperville, Illinois corporate office location. My immediate supervisor was a miserable female who's marriage is on the rocks and she tried to control your every move. One day I got out my seat to go to the bathroom and I caught the fat cow following me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tee in Wheaton, Illinois

31 months ago

Mary in Naperville, Illinois said: I went to work there in 2006 because I was pretty depressed. My mom had died of mesothelioma as did my grandmother. I had a hard time getting through it and still have some upset about it. Everything was fine and then I was put on a team with a person who you would call the playground bully. I defended another girl one night who was crying hysterically. The next day
the whole team was called one by one in to the manager's office. I was last. They stated all the crap about OfficeMaxs core values-my thought how did it get to management as my sup wasn't there when this happened. Anyway one thing led to another and I got it and I knew I would. Thats alright as in the end I feel you get what you dish out. It is sad to see how they really don't go by their core values as they are good. Anyway there have been probably 40 people gone from Ottawa one way or another since the first of the year. Very sad. Maybe Sam should take a little pay cut.

Oh yeah, Sam has retired from OfficeMax and a whole lot of others in upper management have left. That company will soon go under because they are very unorganized, I don't even see how they are still in business til this day. I also filed an EEOC complaint against them as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

31 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Customer Service has always been one of their main initiatives for years. They talk more about it now than ever as they cut down on payroll, get rid of seasoned associates that actually know about electronics, Impress, furniture & etc. They have always talked out of both sides of their mouth on this! As far as stores getting more payroll if they can make their numbers, well they revamp plans every year to impossible standards, so only a select few stores actually make their numbers, but their DM's get their raises based on factors such as keeping payroll to a minimum. So why would a DM even want to give his stores more payroll knowing it's going to affect his profit? I don't buy it either!! He also makes bonus based on highest gross margin., which you don't have to have high sales to accomplish this. We've all seen this accomplished on the Sales Trend Report. Watch their next steps!

My favorite is that they don't post plan until 2-3 months into the year - how are you supposed to hit a number that you don't know about, then they expect you to be over plan the rest of the year, so it all balances out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

21 months ago

briar_rose in Colorado said: My favorite is that they don't post plan until 2-3 months into the year - how are you supposed to hit a number that you don't know about, then they expect you to be over plan the rest of the year, so it all balances out.

Hey Briar Rose: Long time no hear!! Hope all is well!!! HAve you heard-They've just laid off all Retail Connect sales people!! They're supposed to be getting ready to realign positions again in the stores, Impress is one, I'm told! Here we go again right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

21 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Hey Briar Rose: Long time no hear!! Hope all is well!!! HAve you heard-They've just laid off all Retail Connect sales people!! They're supposed to be getting ready to realign positions again in the stores, Impress is one, I'm told! Here we go again right?

Hey gtr1, I escaped OMax a couple of weeks ago, and hadn't heard. It doesn't surprise me. I saw a post (yours?) about ImPress Sups changing to sales people and having to go out and drum up business. I was already on my way out, thankfully, as a "door to door" sales person I am not.

Will they still have the Retail Connect pricing for new customers? Who will be deciding who is eligible and for how much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

21 months ago

Hey Briar! Good for you on getting out!! I'm not sure about the details at this point, but I heard on pretty good auth. that Impress Sups with be working out of the building starting next year as sales people. I am sure any retail connect will be revamped as well and they will be tightening up on those discounts they give customers since they don't really like to give those out in the first place. I was told it will be a lateral move for sups so there won't be any raises involved. With any luck they will severance people out who have been there the longest in that position, (or atleast give them the choice), but I'm told they aren't going to do that, they will just let them go. We shall see!! Anyway have a Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

21 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Hey Briar! Good for you on getting out!! I'm not sure about the details at this point, but I heard on pretty good auth. that Impress Sups with be working out of the building starting next year as sales people. I am sure any retail connect will be revamped as well and they will be tightening up on those discounts they give customers since they don't really like to give those out in the first place. I was told it will be a lateral move for sups so there won't be any raises involved. With any luck they will severance people out who have been there the longest in that position, (or atleast give them the choice), but I'm told they aren't going to do that, they will just let them go. We shall see!! Anyway have a Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours!!

So, if a current sup doesn't want to turn sales person, they are out? Too bad so sad?
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

21 months ago

Looks that way if it all falls out the way it's rumored. Only time will tell!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

18 months ago

I just read that OMax and Depot are in talks to merge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LotsOfChange in New Mexico

18 months ago

I've been lurking here for months, decided with the merger and the other possible changes (previously posted about) it was time to create an account and say hi. So, Hi!

Gtr1 - would love to know more about the possible Impress changes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

18 months ago

So the merger is set to happen and the plan is for it to be done by the end of the year. The truly sad part is that we received a notice (as max perks members) before former co-workers were told about it at the store level. It is even more apparent that OMax doesn't respect its associates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BIRCHLAWN in OTTAWA, Illinois

18 months ago

OFFICE MAX IS ALL TAKE AND NO REAL GIVE TO THEIR OWN HELP. THE UPPER MANAGEMENT DOESN'T EVEN FOLLOW THE POLICIES THEIR OWN COMPANY PUTS FORTH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunnysouth in Pompano Beach, Florida

15 months ago

I got an email too before others found out because I'm a maxperks member. It seems like I'm usually the first to know certain things before people I work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

15 months ago

sunnysouth in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I got an email too before others found out because I'm a maxperks member. It seems like I'm usually the first to know certain things before people I work with.

I actually get various threads on the internet having to do with Omax, and heard it there first even before Max Perks put it on their home page. Yes, I thought that was totally low, it came out on that home page, then our DM sent a memo to us that same day!!!
It just reminded me of the old adage "Always the last to know"!! It is always that way with Omax!

When the merger does happen, it will enable these two companies to form one under a new name, and you can bet, they will be doing things like getting out of leases, getting rid of people, etc, etc, etc, all with out looking back. Right now as it stands if they want to close a store that has a lease on the property, they have to buy that lease out for the remaining time left on it. When they form a new company, they won't have to. They can just close that store with out breaking the lease, because they won't be OfficeMax any longer. It will be so interesting to see how this all shakes out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

15 months ago

LotsOfChange in New Mexico said: I've been lurking here for months, decided with the merger and the other possible changes (previously posted about) it was time to create an account and say hi. So, Hi!

Gtr1 - would love to know more about the possible Impress changes.

Hi, glad to see you on the blog! The Impress changes probably now will not occur since there's too much going on with the merger. Anything going on in New Mexico?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sunnysouth in Pompano Beach, Florida

15 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: I actually get various threads on the internet having to do with Omax, and heard it there first even before Max Perks put it on their home page. Yes, I thought that was totally low, it came out on that home page, then our DM sent a memo to us that same day!!!
It just reminded me of the old adage "Always the last to know"!! It is always that way with Omax!

When the merger does happen, it will enable these two companies to form one under a new name, and you can bet, they will be doing things like getting out of leases, getting rid of people, etc, etc, etc, all with out looking back. Right now as it stands if they want to close a store that has a lease on the property, they have to buy that lease out for the remaining time left on it. When they form a new company, they won't have to. They can just close that store with out breaking the lease, because they won't be OfficeMax any longer. It will be so interesting to see how this all shakes out.

I only found out because I got an email. I have been hearing rumors about possible store closings in this area. One person that I've heard has been saying things I'm not sure where he got his information and the other is someone I consider to be trustworthy and typically giving accurate information to others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

14 months ago

Anyone hear anything about the new "roll-out" coming with-in a week or so? Store Managers will now be called "Team Leaders". (Want fries with that dude?) Assistants will not be Assistant Managers anymore. They will be called something else. Here we go again.
Other changes will be heard about in the next couple of weeks at store meetings near you.
These were already in the "chute" long before Merger Confirmation, so they are going in effect!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Anyone hear anything about the new "roll-out" coming with-in a week or so? Store Managers will now be called "Team Leaders". (Want fries with that dude?) Assistants will not be Assistant Managers anymore. They will be called something else. Here we go again.
Other changes will be heard about in the next couple of weeks at store meetings near you.
These were already in the "chute" long before Merger Confirmation, so they are going in effect!!

Team? If the only name at the top of your Performance Review is yours, you can call yourself a can of peas for all that it matters.

Its just corporate BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Team? If the only name at the top of your Performance Review is yours, you can call yourself a can of peas for all that it matters.

Its just corporate BS.

How true!!!!!How true!!!! Now everybody gets written up for Go Daddy's no customers want! Does corporate really think most people even know or care about having a "presence on the internet in the form of a website?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: How true!!!!!How true!!!! Now everybody gets written up for Go Daddy's no customers want! Does corporate really think most people even know or care about having a "presence on the internet in the form of a website?

My last employer didn't even use the word "team" anymore. They thought it was too 80's. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

14 months ago

It really is!!! Omax has never had an original idea. They always follow someone elses lead. , never cutting edge. They are lucky they lasted this long. It's also why Michael Fuer sold it. He knew it had past it's prime years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheetah in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

I really think this is just a way to create redundant positions. I'd bet good money that the company will use the "performance evals" to explain why they need only one manager in the store. It's really not clear to me why they would need both under the new "system". It would be better just to say they need to lay folks off in a couple of months than do this type of stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sunnysouth in Pompano Beach, Florida

14 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Anyone hear anything about the new "roll-out" coming with-in a week or so? Store Managers will now be called "Team Leaders". (Want fries with that dude?) Assistants will not be Assistant Managers anymore. They will be called something else. Here we go again.
Other changes will be heard about in the next couple of weeks at store meetings near you.
These were already in the "chute" long before Merger Confirmation, so they are going in effect!!

I heard from someone who was in management and recently left that the changes were occurring to make the positions more in line with Office Depot, yet if you look at ODs website, it still has positions saying store manager. Interesting, isnt it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sunnysouth in Pompano Beach, Florida

14 months ago

Cheetah in Chicago, Illinois said: I really think this is just a way to create redundant positions. I'd bet good money that the company will use the "performance evals" to explain why they need only one manager in the store. It's really not clear to me why they would need both under the new "system". It would be better just to say they need to lay folks off in a couple of months than do this type of stuff.

I hope you realize that some stores will likely close as a result of the merger. This would result in the entire staff at all those stores being laid off with the closing of the store. Supposedly all the tech positions are staying the same for the time being. I don't think it's creating positions, I think it's to retitle and pay less money. There's also the concern of omax having positions that od doesnt and what will happen to all of those people in addition to everything else thats going on. I typically find out a decent amount of information.

The good news is I left last month, so I don't have to worry about this whole process, but I will post what I hear on this for everyones benefit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LotsOfChange in New Mexico

13 months ago

When the news of the merger came out one reporter/analyst wrote that they could close or sell as many as 600 stores in order for the combined company to meet the 'efficiencies' they were talking about. That's a lot of stores.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

13 months ago

LotsOfChange in New Mexico said: When the news of the merger came out one reporter/ analyst wrote that they could close or sell as many as 600 stores in order for the combined company to meet the 'efficiencies' they were talking about. That's a lot of stores.

This sounds about right!! The other efficiencies they talk about will be paring down & doing complete renovations to stores that they choose will stay open, so that they are more in line with the "services" division they want to create for the small business empires they think are so available. They will be focusing more on the likes of Go Daddy, My Media, services like this where they can "play middle-man" and not have any overhead to promote them, with the exception of one or two sales persons, who they will also use for everything else in the store. Sound familiar?? The smaller prototype store like the one that just opened in Chicago, (and Milwaukee, I think it was) will not carry supplies as they previously had, but will stick to services that have a much higher gross margin. Say goodbye to associates and hello to smaller stores with much less overhead. On a brighter note, I am happy to see the crummy DM's that are already scrambling for their positions to remain with in the new structure when both companies merge!!! The regional too for that matter. They have sucked the blood life out of OfficeMax for long enough!!!! Let's see how they like it when they are told to "hit the pavement"! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunnysouth in Dallas, Texas

12 months ago

for some reason, this doesnt surprise me. i am so glad i left when i did. i have been gone from there for 3 months almost 4, and i couldnt be any happier. i took another job and left and havent walked in a store since the day i walked out. i dont regret leaving and i dont plan on returning at all. i can tell some major changes will be made and a lot of people eliminated. i never planned on being one of them so when i heard via the grapevine that my store would be closing in november, i started looking for another job. in may, i successfully left. wish everyone thats there the best of luck if you choose to remain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

10 months ago

OfficeMax continues to close stores. Yesterday one in Olympia was announced and a few days prior to that, another was announced in Paso Robles. Both are slated to shutter doors as of November. One has an Office Depot a few blocks away, the other one has no Depot anywhere near it. Their new "Services" boards were just put up in Impress and this closure took them all by surprise. What is the formula for closures? No one really knows for sure. Also the one that just had their new installation done is in a community where their is no, I repeat, no competition. So who knows????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

10 months ago

Nice of good 'ol OMax to lay people off a couple of months before the holidays. I guess there is no "good" time to lose a job, but still. Also, it doesn't make sense to spend money on a store that you are going to close. I guess it keeps your employees working (they aren't in fear of "is this store going to close?"). Good luck to every one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

10 months ago

I know right?? The only thing I can think of is that the signage was a long time in the "making". That and the fact that somehow when these stores close the company can count these "reno's" into a tax right off of course along with all the other write off's for that particular store. Hope all is well with you Briar!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LotsOfChange in New Mexico

10 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: OfficeMax continues to close stores. Yesterday one in Olympia was announced and a few days prior to that, another was announced in Paso Robles. Both are slated to shutter doors as of November. One has an Office Depot a few blocks away, the other one has no Depot anywhere near it. Their new "Services" boards were just put up in Impress and this closure took them all by surprise. What is the formula for closures? No one really knows for sure. Also the one that just had their new installation done is in a community where their is no, I repeat, no competition. So who knows????

This got me thinking, so I looked through the last 2 months of customer posts on the company Facebook page last night. (Note - customer posts, not company posts) At what looks like the same time as the two you mention stores in Winchester, VA and Elvyria, OH put up Closing signs. A month earlier a store in Arnold MO put up the Closing sign.

I'd bet there are others. What I love is that employees know nothing unless they google.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LotsOfChange in New Mexico

10 months ago

And a question - anyone know if employees in closing stores are getting any sort of layoff package? And/or, did they give them anything a few years ago when this thread first started? I would guess only managers get anything, but would love to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

10 months ago

LotsOfChange in New Mexico said: This got me thinking, so I looked through the last 2 months of customer posts on the company Facebook page last night. (Note - customer posts, not company posts) At what looks like the same time as the two you mention stores in Winchester, VA and Elvyria, OH put up Closing signs. A month earlier a store in Arnold MO put up the Closing sign.

I'd bet there are others. What I love is that employees know nothing unless they google.

Hey, One store is Paso Robles, Cal and the other is Olympia, Wa....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

10 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Hey, One store is Paso Robles, Cal and the other is Olympia, Wa....

I hope someone has the answer to this question re: severance packages. Years ago they gave them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

10 months ago

Me too!!! I would love to know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lizard81288 lizard81288 in Erie, Michigan

10 months ago

Well, I know sales are down across the board. OfficeMax needs to do something new. People these days don't need to buy paper or computers from OfficeMax anymore, there are plenty of other venders out there these days and are cheaper too.

Just recently, they rolled out their new "services center". The only issue with this, is that it is expensive. I don't know about you, but when I go to a store just to buy paper, I don't want to spend an additional $500-$1000 on these services. OfficeMax corporate needs to get that in their thick skulls. They spent 13 billion $ on the new services center, but wait, it was just in magazines ads....because you know.....kids these days totally read magazines.

We also have alot of items in the store that just sit there since NOBODY buys them, like globes, fake flowers, Maps, most of our folders and envelopes.

Officemax needs to be overhauled and done with todays business and tech needs in mind, but instead, we are just pandering to old people who don't even own a computer. They just show up and buy legal pads, Ink, and folders, which don't bring in the sales.

If Officemax does close down, I can see why. They just suck and don't want to get with the times. Our new services are a step in the right direction, BUT they are too expensive. It doesn't help OfficeMax is really pushing these new services. We have to throw in these services while talking to customers. It is a pain. I doubt a grandma buying $2 pencils wants to buy a website for $500. It doesn't help OfficeMax is focusing on Business people ONLY and leaving the casual shopper out. If we had better (tech) items at a lower price, people would buy stuff from us.

It would also help more If Officemax cared about me. I work 45 hours a week, but i'm not considered fulltime, so I get 0 benefits. With working overtime, I only make about $350 every 2 weeks.Only 4 people are my store are fulltime. Everybody that works there is looking for a better job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

10 months ago

While I agree with part of what the last poster said - OfficeMax does need to look at the overall customer - I respectfully disagree with their obvious dislike of Older customers. OfficeMax would do well to find the balance of new and old. Older people are very loyal customers and if you treat them right, they will come back time and again, even if it is just for legal pads and pencils.

If OMax is going to lean towards services, they need to learn to spend their advertising dollars better, because you are right, most people aren't thinking of services while looking through a magazine. They also need to care about their associates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

10 months ago

First of all, Lizard : It is highly unusual that you have worked a 45 hour work week for any length of consecutive weeks because H/R sends a report to your store manager that warns them that if they continue scheduling you F/T hours, they (H/R) will automatically place you in the full time category for their store! They can however, get around that by not scheduling you every week @ 45 hours per, but H/R keeps an eye on that too. CAll your H/R and enlighten them!!!! Secondly, our store is in a retirement area and our retirees are treated like gold, just like any other customer that walks in the door. Omax is moving towards Services largely because they want to get away from brick & mortar stores completely at some point. Unfortunately our area is not conducent to these services and they will lose out on this marketing technique. Do retirees want to have an internet presence (Go Daddy), no. Do they want cloud services? No! Do they use the copy center yes! OfficeMax needs to contour the services to that particular area instead of generalizing themselves! This has been a problem for some time! I'm sure with the merger things should be interesting over the next month! Hope it gets better for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

briar_rose in Colorado

10 months ago

Well said gtr1 :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee

10 months ago

briar_rose in Colorado said: Well said gtr1 :)

Thanks Briar! Hope all is going well with you!
Still rolling with the wave here at Omax for now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol Bonning in Pasadena, California

9 months ago

I haven't seen any lay offs at our store so I don't know what you all are referring to when you talk about people getting laid off. The store hasn't changed at all for us. I enjoy where I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol Bonning in Pasadena, California

9 months ago

Carol Bonning in Pasadena, California said: I haven't seen any lay offs at our store so I don't know what you all are referring to when you talk about people getting laid off. The store hasn't changed at all for us. I enjoy where I am.

In fact, they just hired a few more people! Everything seems the same here...but why did the name have to change to Depot? I have so many customers tell me how much they hate Depot...I wish they would keep the name to OMX.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol Bonning in Pasadena, California

9 months ago

gtr1 in Kingsport, Tennessee said: Hey Briar Rose: Long time no hear!! Hope all is well!!! HAve you heard-They've just laid off all Retail Connect sales people!! They're supposed to be getting ready to realign positions again in the stores, Impress is one, I'm told! Here we go again right?

Retail Connect sales people?? What is that? I know the retail connect card but there is a whole group of people at your store who offer the retail cards?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol Bonning in Pasadena, California

9 months ago

lizard81288 lizard81288 in Erie, Michigan said: Well, I know sales are down across the board. OfficeMax needs to do something new. People these days don't need to buy paper or computers from OfficeMax anymore, there are plenty of other venders out there these days and are cheaper too.

Just recently, they rolled out their new "services center". The only issue with this, is that it is expensive. I don't know about you, but when I go to a store just to buy paper, I don't want to spend an additional $500-$1000 on these services. OfficeMax corporate needs to get that in their thick skulls. They spent 13 billion $ on the new services center, but wait, it was just in magazines ads....because you know.....kids these days totally read magazines.

We also have alot of items in the store that just sit there since NOBODY buys them, like globes, fake flowers, Maps, most of our folders and envelopes.

Officemax needs to be overhauled and done with todays business and tech needs in mind, but instead, we are just pandering to old people who don't even own a computer . They just show up and buy legal pads, Ink, and folders, which don't bring in the sales.

If Officemax does close down, I can see why. They just suck and don't want to get with the times. Our new services are a step in the right direction, BUT they are too expensive. It doesn't help OfficeMax is really pushing these new services. We have to throw in these services while talking to customers. It is a pain. I doubt a grandma buying $2 pencils wants to buy a website for $500. It doesn't help OfficeMax is focusing on Business people ONLY and leaving the casual shopper out. If we had better (tech) items at a lower price, people would buy stuff from us.]]

I don't know about your store but where I am, all they mostly do is computer/ tech sales... Please stop generalizing OMX entirely and take responsibility for your own location. Maybe your store isn't selling tech and Max Assurances, but we are :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.