OfficeMax News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 482)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does OfficeMax stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Anon in West Chicago, Illinois

96 months ago

This job has been posted forever. They aren't happy with anyone, obviously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Alabama in Anniston, Alabama

96 months ago

I guess there aren't any threads from one positing to another concerning this job. I have written twice about it and see that mine and other comments aren't here.

I went out on this interview back in 2004 since I lived in B'ham at the time and never got the job. This job has been running ever since. I don't know if the jerk that they had as a Maintenance Manager and did my interview is still there or not but after the interview I waited several weeks and then sent a follow up email and never received a reply. Very low class and ignorant.

I think that indeed.com should have a connection of comments about the same company so everyone can stay informed. Unless they delete the comments if the company doesn't like them since they pay for the job postings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

96 months ago

"I think that indeed.com should have a connection of comments about the same company so everyone can stay informed. Unless they delete the comments if the company doesn't like them since they pay for the job postings."

Thanks for the suggestion! We are trying to put all of the comments about one company together currently.
We only delete comments based on our terms of service. I have not been able to find any deleted comments from your username or IP. Is it possible that they are on another office max forum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve Gunter

96 months ago

Anon said: This job has been posted forever. They aren't happy with anyone, obviously.

I can tell you no matter how hard
you try you cannot please OfficeMax.
For instance, they want sales and pound
employees into the ground for them when
the real fault is the executives at
headquarters. These guys fail to see
that if they want sales they have got to get
customers in and to do that you have
to advertise and the co is too chincy
to spend whatever it takes to get
the job done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Buckner, Missouri

96 months ago

I applied several years ago as outside rep - they did nnot continue the process - more or less wanted me to go inside for sales, management, etc. I truly believe they keep the postings there to get people interested in the other positions.

I do not mind office max to get some items, the poeple always greet me when I walk in - I think because it always so dead. Do not know if they will survive but I do know that Office Depot is closing around 70 stores - its a bad place to be working at this time I would assume.

Kurt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

George in Deerfield Beach, Florida

93 months ago

Steve Gunter said: I can tell you no matter how hard
the job done.

What would you do to correct this?
Does the company have any suggestion box for recomendations, if not then perhaps you could suggest they have them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabath in Benson, Illinois

93 months ago

I worked as a sales associate at Office Max for about a year, and it was an awful expirience. The sales tactics are horrible. They expect each customer to spend at least $100 per trip, and if a customer leaves with less than that, the management throws a fit.

They claim that many of their sales approaches are intended to give the customer the best shopping expirience, but it's really just about milking all the money they can for the customers. Cashiers are told to offer AT LEAST ten add-ons at the register, as well as their useless rewards cards and credit cards. The people on the floor have to offer irrelevant add ons as well, and have to give the customer two of everything.

And that's not the worst part. The worst part is that the manager follows the customers around and through his headset, tells the entire staff what they are looking at, where they are going, etc. And if five minutes goes by without a sales person reapproaching them, the manager yells at them. How would you like being hounded by sales associates every three minutes, when you're just there to pick up an item and go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Green Bay, Wisconsin

93 months ago

This job they are advertising for a sales supervisor in Green Bay does not exist...at least that is what both stores in Green Bay told me when I went to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ED in Chicago, Illinois in Dekalb, Illinois

93 months ago

I interviewed for a proofreader position-- and I was very displeased with their conduct. After the phone interview, I was invited to a second interview. It was to be a 2-hour ordeal with 5 different people, and I was provided with a schedule beforehand. I arrived the day of the interview after a nearly 1-hour commute to find that the person who would be my direct supervisor was out that day, the schedule was totally wrong, and all the people who were supposed to interview me had much more important things to be doing (proved by their showing up more than half an hour later than the revised schedule said and staying only minutes to ask me to rate myself on a scale of 1-10 regarding various statements, and having NO time to answer my questions). I was there for 3.5 hours. Is it just me, or does this demonstrate a complete disrespect for my time? Aside from their rudeness, the interview went pretty well. I had to schedule a 3rd interview to come in and see the person who would be my direct supervisor, even though they had clearly known all day that she wouldn't be there and could easily have called me to reschedule the whole thing. The interview with her went very well, and she pretty much told me I was their ideal candidate and that she had every confidence I could do the job.
Then they emailed me to let me know they were "moving on with other candidates," yet the position is still open. Is this the height of rudeness? I'm a recent college grad and I just don't know how to deal with a job force that is so two-faced. Do interviewers always act this way before dumping you as a candidate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Bama

93 months ago

It is not you. The world is full of trash who somehow and sometime before managed to secure their jobs. They are nothing but a bunch of low life's and not worthy of any personal respect. The only respect you could show of these low life's is for their position.

Go to the forums and look up Bindagraphics. I have posted another comment there about that company for the Electrical Maintenance Supervisor position.

I believe that these people have always been what they are deep down inside from early childhood and the age of cold, impersonal email gives them some sort of hiding ground for what they are, or so they think.

So why don't the bosses fire them? Because although they are rude and incompetent they work cheap and the company still manages to make some profit which is all the boss cares about.

Remember that septic tank waste flows down stream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Denver in Denver, Colorado

92 months ago

Steve Gunter said: I can tell you no matter how hard
the job done.

I applaud you for your comments and I agree. Most corporate types do have the 'bottom line' concern (they get their little 5% kick back from vendors right off the top) which affects product pricing and advertising costs. It also affects employees involved in the working class. For a company like Office Max they have no choice but to get people in their store. You can't do it without promotions and advertiseand run store promotions, but I guess if the C class executives were more interested in maintaining margin, keeping volume up and wanting to keep quality employees they would do what is needed to be done. I have worked for a few that only wanted that vendor kick back.

I have been searching Indeed and other job boards for the last few months and have noticed that all the same jobs come up time after time. Maybe it's time for Indeed and other job boards to start doing their job and find new and diverse employers that actually do have their companies bottom line in mind and need quality and experience in their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Will in NM

92 months ago

Jim in Denver:
You can forget about Indeed doing anything worth while. It is their site and then can set the conditions for use as they choose. It appears that unless your opinion is sterilized it won't be published.

There are other place where you may post your complete opinion.

ME Out West

91 months ago

As a former employee I can tell you that OfficeMax is a culture of criticism and unattainable goals. I worked there for 3 1/2 years as a supervisor in their copy center.
The copy center is truly the profit center of the stores. Most ImPress centers do 10% of the volume of the store but, generates 70% of the profits. I have worked in printing for years and can tell you that until they place someone from the printing industry in charge instead of a retail person they can only scratch the surface of their potential.

Their treatment of the employees is horrible. If you speak up you are told that there is many people who could do your job. The raises I recieved after very good evaluations was a joke.

I left the company to work for a local print shop which closed due to the death of the owner. Times being very tough where I live I was forced to reapply. They sent me for a drug test and back ground test, both which I passed and after 2 1/2 weeks told me I didn't get the job. The funny thing is I thought that these people were my friends.

I write today annonymously because I am still looking for work and some of the comments they have made to my potential employers have beeen very bad. I can nit afford to anger these people but, do not discount what I have to say. DO NOT WORK FOR OFFICEMAX!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

91 months ago

I agree I have worked for Office Max and it was the worse mistake I have evee did. Here in Florida we have had 10 DMs in 10 years ask your self why? It not the stores and its not the DM's when do we finally look at --- who is abusive and mean. He treats his area like s---.When will the company finally say goodbye to him and realize who is really responsible. Oh yea I forgot he is the freind of a freind go figure.

random guy in Jenison, Michigan

91 months ago

It sounds like all the OfficeMax experiences you've had are horrible! I've been working at one in West Michigan for 1.5 years now and it's great. The management really goes out of their way to promote a good working relationship and we are always getting pop, snacks and stuff from them to make the environment fun. As a cashier, Yes, I am supposed to offer ONE add-on item at the register, but it's for the customer's benefit... if they buy a new printer, I'm going to let them know that HP only gives them 5ml of ink in a new printer and that isn't going to last them a long time. To avoid a second trip within a month, would they like to buy a second cartridge... I don't see how that's harmful to the customer. Most of our customer's say thank you.

We greet every person in the store within one minute, and yes, we do use our headsets to make sure we check on you every five minutes. Our store is standard...but we carry a zillion items. If you want to know where a Cash Box is located to buy, do you really want to waste more than five minutes wandering around? I certainely wouldn't.

I'm sorry that you have all had such horrible experiences in your area. Come work at mine and you'll have a lot of fun, plus get plenty of pizza and snacks. We have a good time there :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ME Out West

91 months ago

Random Guy you sound like you come from the INVASION OF THE POD PEOPLE. I can only assume that you have either "become one of them" or are a manager. You preach the company line very well do you have to wear a sparkly vest (Movie:Leap of Faith). Let's hope that you are not foolish enough to sell your soul to the devil for the pentance they pay, pizza and snacks. Strange how your experience out of all of those I've spoken to is so very different. Perhaps you have Eden, but to cover up your sins you must now where khaki and black. Okay I'm done giving a razzing..... Good luck in your career and if you think I'm leaving sunny California for Michigan (BURRR), you ARE crazy. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ME Out West

91 months ago

Mike your story is so very typical. It seems to me that since Boise bought them out things have gotten even worse. What has kept you there for so long? I'm from Florida where is Port Saint Lucie?

P.S. I really was just giving random guy a few chuckles......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ball in Chicago in Westmont, Illinois

91 months ago

I recently had a phone interview with a recruiter from OfficeMax. She did not understand the concept of working for an owner who had 2 companies. DUH! She asked me to explain what I mean. I just rolled my eyes, and thought...I can see they need recruiters. Ha! it was the most poorly handled phone screen I have ever had.

Xavier2008 in Florida

86 months ago

I am a former OfficeMax field salees employee, and am curious to find out if anyone has ever worked for OfficeMax Contracts or Impress (Field Sales) over the last 6 months? Did you experience unattainable quotas and their Corrective Action Process? I recently saw the handwriting on the wall and left before being terminated.

Steve Gunter

86 months ago

I have been with OfficeMax 15 years and
as I have always said the company is
a looser. Several years ago we the
District Managerhad the store manager chew out several of
us employees on the floor in front of
other employees and customers.
This could have been construed as
hostile workplace.
This District Manager and another manager
almost fired me for creating a hostile
workplace. It would have been a chance for
me to get even with her.This manager also
called another employee a looser several
years ago but she denies it.This manager
is in Chicago now and came from Detroit I
think.
I will say to all who read this to leave
OfficeMax.

Mad Mad in florida, Florida

86 months ago

everyone gil is a assho-- and talks so much bullsh-- he needs to go. everyone please stay away from this company they will tell you that you are a piece of crap to give themselves a bigger ego.gil you are a ass------

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Xavier2008 in Florida

86 months ago

Mad Mad in florida, Florida said: Office max is the worst company I have seen they are very abusive and I know first hand of all the sexual harrasment and harrasement for telling the truth they do everything they can to cover it up even fire you for some bullsh-- stuff.

Sorry for your bad experience. I also had a horrible experience with OMX. There's a lot of cover-up going on, and I'm currently trying to make since of it all. Did you work in the stores or were you an outside sales person?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

I was a store manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Gunter

86 months ago

Mad Mad in florida, Florida said: everyone gil is a assho-- and talks so much bullsh-- he needs to go. everyone please stay away from this company they will tell you that you are a piece of crap to give themselves a bigger ego.gil you are a ass------

I have met Gil. Everytime you turn around
he is inspecting stores.You are told he
is in town and the store has to look good
but he never shows up after you do all
the hard work.They hound you for MaxAssurances when the corporate Officials
have done nothing at corporate to advertise.
They cut your hours and expect you to jump
for joy and sell whatever the quota is for
the store that day.
I can tell you once again the company is
a looser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

voice of reason in Michigan

85 months ago

Quit whining! there is nothing I hate more than whiners. Half the complaints on here are exaggerated BS. Yes, there are problems, but there are in any company so get over it. Heres a thought, if you were qualified for any other job, you would get it and not have to sit on here and complain. I know, now Im going to get all the comments of how great you all are and how spectacular your new job is. Whatever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Boojum in Sharpsburg, Maryland

85 months ago

Voice of Reason is obviously in management or PR. Having worked for OMX over 10 yrs. on the sales floor & in the CopyMax/PDS/Impress, I find virtually everyones posts extremely accurate. There were times before Boise when we had DM's that had sense & guts, but now the company is so pressured to satisfy Wall Street that their "We are a Great Place to Work" is pure BS. Like wise is the concept that OMX is customer oriented. Most stores are so under staffed to save payroll that customers are always looking fo help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I agree 100% with Boojum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Black N Yellow in Georgia

85 months ago

Wow! So I read all of these complaints and the one standing fact is that none of you can spell. I am guessing why you did not last at OfficeMax, you see the issue is you must be able to spell and have more than a 4th grade education. Yes, I am a store manager and yes, I enjoy my job and yes, the company has issues. Show me a company that doesn't. Best Buy? Office Depot? Staples? They all have complaints, no one is ever really happy. I find that most issues are because you (the complainer) except no responsibility for your actions or lack of tact. It is easy to sit back and blast a company, do I do it when I feel like things are screwed up? Sure, but the difference is I get over I get over and move on. Not continue to go on and on about it for 11 months or even longer. I sugest that before you type another word, first, learn how to spell and second, know what the heck you are talking about. This company, if you knew anything at all about it is growing despite the financial economy and threat of recession. Again, is the company perfect? Not even close but after 5 years I can still say that it is the best company I have ever worked for. The quality of life that I have to spend with my family is far and beyond the best I have ever been apart of. I could make more at Staples, but at what cost? 60 / 70 hours a week? Not worth it for a man that enjoys spending time with his family. By the way, Gil is a good man and is only doing his job, maybe your store should not have looked like crap and maybe he wouldn't have nitpicked you to death. I have only had outstanding visits from him, I guess because instead of complain about what I couldn't control, I just handle what I could control, and that is what is inside my 4 walls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Black and White you must be one of those manager who have crawled up some ones butt and died. Give me a break is the mistakes of spelling all you got. Oh big man you have worked for the company for 5 years. You give me a break for everyone that feels like you, I can find 20 people who can not stand the company. Office Max does not care about quality of Life, if they did they would not make managers work 6 days a week and 10 hours a day. everyother weekend give me a break.

Can I have your address I would like to send you some chapstick for all the butt kissing you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

First off it is Black n Yellow and you mis-spelled again! You must have gotten fired, I don't kiss butt, I don't have too, no need, I would be happy to tell you where I live but my bet is that you can't read a map either. So...mad mad, what made you so mad? Is it that you have failed in everyting that you have ever tried or is it that you just gave up? Is it that you can not take constructive advice? Or is it that you are really just mad at your father? It isn't his fault that you are a whinning, complaining, obviously have no job, no wife, no anything that this has consumed your life for so very long. My GOD man, move on, get a life, I hear Arby's has a drive through position open, or better yet, you could clean the bathrooms, they always need someone to clean the toilets. But back the butt kissing, because that is ALWAYS the line that comes from someone that has never been successful. Admittedly, sometimes you have to say and do things you don't agree with to get ahead in this world, if you want to call that butt kissing, be my guest, I call it trying to get ahead and do the best I can. But if your store is clean, full and your employees are happy, it is called DOING YOUR JOB! but my guess is you would never understand that because people like YOU always make excuses for their shortcomings and blame others for being unable to succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Since when do managers work 6 days 10 hours? Only if your not smart enough to get the job done in 40 hours. I do my share of complaining about the company, but I do it constructively within the company to try to improve the company I work for. Your random and unproductive whining just goes to show how ignorant and uneducated you are. Maybe if you would put half the energy you put into whining into your job you wouldnt have these problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Got to agree with voice of reason here, I have never worked a 6 day work week unless it was BTS, and if I have to do that for two weeks? Woop De Doo! I have to do that, but you go and find your 20 people out of 40,000 that work for the company and I will show them a job picking up dung at the zoo. By the way mad, mad ...dung is crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Mad Mad in florida, Florida said: You and I both know that BTS is not the only time for a 6 day work week.
Example of cutting back for future sale of Office Max all DM's of Impress are no more....(DM's fired or take a step down) SURPRISE!!!!! Office Max is also cutting back on payroll so much that the managers (salary) are the only ones on the floor. I find it very strange that Herold left to ????? lets put all the pieces together.

OFFICE MAX UP FOR SALE

So let me ask you this question...What did the ImPress DM actually do? That's right, nothing. A good store manager takes an active role in that department if he wants to drive high margin. So, what do you do, cut and average of 70,000 a year to a do nothing position and put that back to your bottom line. Look around, lot's of large companies are in cut back mode. Average gas price is $3.25 a gallon now $105 a barrel. Ecomomy is slowing and people are in stop spending mode. The national and international boards are taking huge hits. Do you really expect any company to continue status quo and make a profit? It is called economics and you have to adjust for changing times and the Impress DM was a not needed position. And yes, I only work 6 days a week during BTS and I never require my ASM's to work a 6 day week unless they are feeling a bit froggy and want to help extra. Maybe I am different, but I am fair and my store runs very well so no need for the extra. As far as Harold, I could say I have ties and know things but you wouldn't believe me so why waste my time. But at the 3 clubmax's that I have attended, he was a great guy and he is missed. Things are changing, you are right about that, but on the other side I believe it will be for the best. Did you know that Best Buy almost closed it's doors in the mid 90's. They went through the same thing and look at them now, they are the only real player in the market. Are you still with Officemax? If so and you hate it so much, why not just leave?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

annoyed with officemax in Oswego, Illinois

85 months ago

Black and Yellow:
I can understand your passion. Also what kind of store prototype do you have and are you in a major metropolitan area? I work, well will work for only another week, at a store in a rural area of upstate New York. We are a rustbelt city, pop of 16,000, county pop of around 40,000. We are a 5.0/6.0 store and our managers get one day off a week and work everyother weekend, 10 hour shifts. These aren't by choice they're mandated by our DM. I work in the Impress Department and I can tell you it feels that the management is, was, pressured to the utmost extreme during their wanning days. Talk about a slap in the face, all the Impress DM's were told to jump on a conference call at 7:30am and from there were essentially told they were fired, then HR came in and took their laptops. At least my DM had this happen. As far as an un-needed position, well that depends on who you ask. With the two completely seperate promotion schemes and the constant necessity to be in touch with the Impress Supervisors and Managers the seperate position did alot. A huge blunder by this company was the promotion they did last October. The design center giveaways that they prepaid for. I sold two, not for lack of trying. Corporate has said they want OfficeMax to be "not just a place people go to shop, but a destination". How're you going to do that with a cashier, a manager, a sales floor person, and one Impress associate? You'll have 20 customers in the store and really only one person to help them. I think you're living in a fantasy world. With the upcoming downsizing I hope you are still optimistic, and still have a job. Did you know they're eliminating and re-aligning management positions in the store? Also how would you explain opening later and closing earlier? Or the block scheduling? Or the upcoming reduction in the already non-existent benefits? Look if you're happy with working here more power to you. This is not a company to have a career in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Look at this.... how is it that everyone speaks the truth but our Black and Yellow guy here. I have said it from the beginning and will continue to say it again Office Max does not know how to treat there managers,supervisors,employees and of the course the customers. They only listen to selective people and NO DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TELL THE TRUTH...... We have very few women managers... Quess Why????
Thank you to annoyed with office max for speaking the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

85 months ago

Ok, this is the last time I am going to respond because people like mad make me feel like I am talking to my 5 year old litte girl.First response to Annoyed, yes I am passionate, I work in a major metro area as well, Atlanta and I am an Advantage location, with a medium income of 133,000 per house hold. Dude, I am sorry we have some 5.0/6.0 and what an awful layout, that can be rough. All I can say is I decided a long time ago to manage differently then I had ever been managed and treat my people fair. They love their job, we are active in the community with 5k events that my store put on and raised almost 20,000 to go to melanoma research. We have raised money for childrens cancer research. We do our own events for our local schools, and have a great time as a team. Our DM has never mandated 6 day work weeks, the attitude is if you get it done go home, if not, stay until it gets done. That is fair I think, so we get it done and we go home...as a team. I am sorry that you have had a bad experience, maybe I am just lucky and have great market team. I could go in to details about my interactions with people at corporate, but I don't think anyone one here would belive that they have all been great. I do believe I can have a career here for reasons that I will not go in to, but that is for some. I was talking to a 30 year in retail manager at one of our locations last night nd he said this is the best company he has ever worked for, I feel the same way being in retail now 20 years. I do know about the re-alignments, do you know best buy re-aligns ever 6 months? Create/eliminate, it is the nature of the beast...unfortunately. The one thing I have always done is stay positiveand work hard wherever I have been and even though I might ave been pissed or disagreed with the company I HAVE NEVER GONE ON A BOARD AND BLASTED THE COMPANY. When my peers and I get upset or disagree we call eachother and talk, we don't whine to people we don't even know. There are like on 6 people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

On here complaining over like 12 months, ya know Bestbuysux.org has hundreds a day? Everyone has complaints, it is how you dole it out is what matters, coming on here and saying things like Officemax is a loser (of course spelling it looser and then bragging about your college degree) is not the way to do it, it only makes certain people look stupid. To mad, my DM is female, we have a female opening a brand new location, and numerous female managers all over the company. And mad, why would I come on here and lie about how much I love the company? You, are a dumbass, that is only time I will curse on here, but Mad, you are ignorant, and have no clue. Go back and read all of your posts and tell me that you write and sound like you have higher than a 5th grade education. Go back to running your MYSPACE page and just quit the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

SG in Alpharetta, Georgia

85 months ago

Well guys I guess Mark Twain was right
when he said he never let his schooling
interfere with his education.All you guys have let me know
that just because you have a college
education doesn't make you smart.I
look pretty stupid.Sorry about all the idiot
remarks.
Perhaps if I tell my story to you guys then
it will help you understand why I feel
as I do.After high school I wanted to work for the National
Park Service at Civil War park up in Virginia,Tennessee, or Georgia. So I went to
college and majored in American History
and minored in Recreation and I worked in State and Federal
parks between semesters to get some
experience. I worked cleaning picnic
tables and shelters. I cleaned restrooms.
I mowed grass.I picked up paper and hauled
garbage. I did alot jobs just like
managers do in manager training at OfficeMax to get some
experience.After I got the experience I
tried to get on with the service but it
was very competitive and I never could get on so I went back to school
and got a second major in Library Science
and worked for the Atlanta-Fulton Public
Library and worked for them for six years
and then quit for reasons I won't go into.
After being out of work for eight months
I was hired by OfficeMax and have worked
for them ever since.I love history and would
like to do something in the history field.

So, I have been trying ever since leaving
the library to get back into education
or parks and recreation. I have searched
all over Georgia and Atlanta for jobs in
this field and there are just not any.
That being the case I have tried to
find work in another retail company. I
am 55 years old and most retail companies
don't want to hire an old fart like me.
They look at how long I have been with
OfficeMax. They look at how much I am
paid. They look at my education and other
work experience and if I were manager I would not hire me. I would say this guy
will be gone as soon as he finds another
job. advice NEEDED

SG in Alpharetta, Georgia

85 months ago

NOW YOU KNOW MY WHOLE STORY. MAYBE SOME OF
YOU GUYS HAVE HAD SOME SIMILIAR EXPERIENCES
AND CAN UNDERSTAND MY FRUSTRATION.
i SURE COULD USE SOME ADVICE FROM OLDER
MANAGERS OR SOME OF YOU PEOPLE THAT HAVE
BEEN THROUGH ALOT.i AM NOT THE BEST
SPELLER OR WRITER OF ENGLISH AND MY
KEYBOARD IS OLD.i TRY NOT TO FEEL SORRY
FOR MYSELF BUT WHEN YOU ARE ALONE AT NIGHT
'IT IS HARD NOT TO.

85 months ago

SG don't not give up there is alot you can do believe me Office Max is really good to convice people that there is not life after Office Max. That is Bull there are jobs out there you just need to know how to find them.

For Black N Yellow I feel sorry for you I hope you are really happy but we that actually work for the company know what is really going on and you can only blow smoke for so long and the truth will set you free.

SG in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

Now to add to my previous words. Someone
on the site said that they had just a high
school education and and that even though
I had a college education I would still be
their employee. To that I will say
Yes that is true and I may not appear to be
too smart but foxes are sly and I might be a fox in disguise. When I worked
on a grounds crew I worked with a man
that lived on the streets of Chicago.
He said in the workplace you listen,learn,
and you bite.I have never forgot that.

SG in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

On my previous statements they are written
to prove a point. Yes, I have a college
degree but I have street smarts too although
sometimes I have not used them.

SG in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

To yellow it is easy to say all you do
as you make the big bucks. If you remember
in the movie Patton General Bradly tells
Patton that the average GI is on the
front line day after day with death
tugging at his elbow. He is stuck there.
That is the how it is for many of us hourly
associates that are not college or high
school kids making spending money.
We are stuck at Officemax day after day
with debt tugging at our elbow.
Also remember when General Bradly tells
Patton that there was one difference
between him and Patton. Bradly said he
was trained to do his job and then says
frankly George you do it because you love it.Patton loved war.
I wonder if that is the way it is for many
retail store managers. They have dreams
of retail store and mangerial glory.

84 months ago

SG in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have been with the company 15 years.
may
Kentucky,Virginia, and Georgia you learn alot.
When you have traveled from Dallas Texas
to Kennebunk, Maine you learn alot.
I have talked with people that in the military and had good friends that were
military and learned alot from them.
I have talked alot with customers and
learned alot from them.
Managers may say to us hourly employees
if you don't like it leave. That is not so
easy to do if you are an old guy.
Businesses do not want to hire older employees.They can say that age discrimination does not exist but it does.
It even exists at OfficeMax. If you look
at all the dress code posters in the breakrooms at the stores you see a young
diverse group of people. I don't see
many older folks on the poster. Or if you
look at the company newsletter do you
see many older employees featured in it?
The discrimination is there but it is hidden.
Also the managers say there is an open
door policy. No there is not. I have
a sister who is top salesman for
Johnson and Johnson and she told me
people do retaliate if you use the
open door policy.
Now, I would like to say another few
words about Officemax.
I get tired of other stores calling me
for customers at their store and them
having me hold the article for them.
The other stores need to get their counts
right and get stocked up real good.I am not
into all this teamwork nonsense.
It is
Blacks against Whites. Gays against Straights. Managers against Hourly employees. Managers against District
Managers.It's the cashiers against the
floor guys and the copy

this is why you fail.

SG in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

Michigan below is what I have experienced
Lack of teamwork.
When you are 55 and
have like a heavy chair to pull and no
one helps you pull it after asking for
help time and time again you start
believing there is no teamwork. And what
if it happens year after year after year.
Now what if you are with coworkers day in and dayout that
don't trust the company and when you
have young kids that work for the company
that goof off that won't help you.
And what if you had coporate constantly
screwing up your paycheck
And what if you wrote something to corporate
HR and the manager retaliated against you.
What if you worked in a government
agency where you were hated and where
people distrusted each other instead
of trying to be productive aand where they spent their
time protecting their flanks.
Michigan this is what I have experienced
in
counts right. If one store is short on
staff you don't have time to stay on the
phone trying to help another store get
a customer something at your store.
You have customers nipping at you
wanting help and then you have a boss
yelling at you to get off the phone.
I can't see why the store that called you logistics manager
can't give it's District mgr a call and say
we are out of this chair or whatever.
Place an order immediately.Get it to me. To me the
logistics manager at the store that called
you is doing a sloppy job by letting his
stock go down. If I owned a store I would
operate like old general stores and have
plenty of everything. No borrowing from
other stores.
Sure I haved failed but I want to be independent I don't like having to be
dependent. That shows you are weak.
I thought midwesterners and Westerners
were supposed be strong and independent
and not have to depend on anyone.
I would say to my logistics manager if
I was a manager I would have my call the Regional Mgr tell
him to have the buyers call the manufacturer
and have them ship 10-20 chairs or whatever
we need quick

SG in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

Pt 2 Michigan.
If I were a manager at an Officemax
store I would tell my logistics
manager to get the counts right.I would
say GET IT DONE! The
minute other stores started borrowing
from me I would ask their managers what
is the problem with their logistics
managers and their stock.GET YOUR COUNTS RIGHT WILL YOU? I am short staffed and
my people don't have the time to service
your customers because your people haven't
done their job.But because we have to act
as a team I will have my people hold items
for your customers but tell your logistics
manager to GET IT DONE and get some
merchandise.
I would leave an email with the DM and
ask him if he could see what is the
problem with the other stores logistic
manager that he could not get his counts
right.

SG in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

To comment 1 OfficeMax is TitanicMax baby.
The propellers are coming out of the water
and the bow is going under.

SG in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

Okay guys. I will shut my mouth up.
I wish to apoligize to all. Please
understand I have been under financial
stress.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Black and yellow last time i checked this was a free country and I thought associates could voice there thoughts when ever they need. what did you do run and tell on SG because he speaks the truth...
I bet you could not wait to call his boss and report him because he does not agree with YOU.....SADDDDDD......

SG speak if needed.... That is what the blog is for....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.