How to get a job at OfficeMax.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Do you work at OfficeMax? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in San Luis Obispo, California

89 months ago

How old do i have to be to work for at office max?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Brittany said: How old do i have to be to work for at office max?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Wheaton, Illinois

89 months ago

Host said: Do you work at OfficeMax? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I just started at OfficeMax and all I did was apply online. That being said, I was qualified for the position and had to go through three phone and one in-person interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert F. Hodges in Fairport, New York

85 months ago

Host said: Do you work at OfficeMax? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I just finished your application and evaluation process. As I exited a note popped up saying
"Action to Career Section has failed.

What do you suggest?

My e-mail is rfhodges@rochester.rr.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jinas in Vega Baja, Puerto Rico

48 months ago

Brittany in San Luis Obispo, California said: How old do i have to be to work for at office max?

I like heiping people very social with them.Im interested how i could get an opportunity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sunnysouth in Pompano Beach, Florida

14 months ago

I wouldn't recommend working there, but if you want to, I suggest applying either online or in the store and then following up with the manager. For me, it was easy as I did my application in the store, the computer didn't work right away so someone was trying to help me and the manager decided to help me and I got interviewed and hired the same day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lizard81288 lizard81288 in Erie, Michigan

11 months ago

Do you work at OfficeMax?

Yes

How did you find the job?

Online and online only. People ask to apply via form, but we tell them it is online only now.

How did you get that first interview?

The best I had. However, I read job reviews and thought Officemax was a bad place to work at, so i didn't care if I got it or not, which put me at ease, oddly enough, with that ease I felt, I nailed the interview.

I don't think they look for anything in particular. HOWEVER, OfficeMax is a great starter job, BUT nothing more. I'll touch on some key points

You won't get promoted, get benefits, vacation pay or even be promoted to full time. You are pretty much stuck at the position you apply.

If they need someone higher in rank than you, they tend to get someone else from another store, so if they need a manager, they ask another store if someone wants to transfer, rather than promote somebody.

Only full timers get benefits, which are pretty much, managers only. They watch the hours very carefully. Most of the time, you will work 39.50 hours, just shy of 40 (full time)if you are about to become fulltime, they will nuke your hours greatly. I went from 39.50 down to 15 some weeks. With that said, no benefits, because you are not fulltime.

As I said, it is a great starter job. Everybody is pretty much at ease. Only when the district mangers come over, then they force attachments down the customer's throats and the DMs stand over your shoulder watching and listening to what you do, very stressful time for everybody. But other than that, everybody is pretty chill and easy going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunny south in Dallas, Texas

10 months ago

I applied on the computer in the store and met the manager that day. He asked me a few questions, but I basically got it immediately. I'm glad I worked there because the manager that hired me taught me a lot and to this day is a really great mentor to me. At first, it seemed great because it was a job and I wanted a job and it gave me good experience. As time went by, I learned a lot about how the company handled a lot of things and saw more and more people leave, even people who started after me. Both the store manager that hired me and I have left and went on to work for another company, which is very good to its employees. He left first, we kept in touch and when an opening came up, I followed him.

During the gap between when the store manager I started with left and when I left, the store manager who took over had some serious ethical problems. He'd tell people to ask customers if they are buying the warranty and if they said no, we didnt have the item. I reported him to the DM. That only made the remainder of my time there worse. He wrote most of the store up coaching forms. Now, the remaining associates in that store that i still keep in touch with are wanting to leave and asking me where i work and what its like.

Everything is uncertain with the merger, I'd say people will be laid off in the process because of the stores being so close to each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lizard81288 lizard81288 in Erie, Michigan

10 months ago

Speaking of the merger, It seems, from what I have heard from the managers, that Office Depot is getting 'boned' in this situation.In my area, there aren't too many stores like (infact, there is no Staples in our area) us around, and they said chances are, they are going to close the Office Depot stores, since the OfficeMax stores in that area are more profitable. Plus their stocks aren't worth much when compared to officemax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.