Contact your State Atty. General- Posting fake Job Ads

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Jennifer in NY

99 months ago

John in Denver, Colorado said: It is against the law to place false or misleading ads. They are not supposed to post a specific ad with details if it doesn't exist! They can place general cattle call type ads but have to make it clear it's not a specific job they have now. The best recourse is to get the State Atty. General on them as false advertising IS against the law.

Actually, they don't consider it "false advertising or misleading ads." They consider it a recruiting tool. They look at the positions that they have recently filled or have a high need need of candidates for and they post the ads on-line in hopes of recruiting for those much needed jobs. I can see how someone would be frustrated but it's not illegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Denver -- in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

Jennifer:

Sorry, but you are wrong.

It IS considered FALSE ADVERTISING. Call your attorney general's office and talk to them.

If an ad is listed with specifics and not a "general ad," it IS fraudulent advertising and IS against the law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Denver -- in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

When you say "they" don't consider it false advertising, you are referring to the agency. Of course THEY don't consider it false! They don't want to get busted!

The LAW DOES consider it fraud.

Agencies can put in "general" ads but they cannot "PRETEND" they have a lot of jobs to fill when they DO NOT. This is a fact and if you don't believe me, contact the State Atty. General of your state.

Believe me, I've looked into this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Sacramento, California

98 months ago

"false advertising" occurs when they are "advertising" something for you to purchase... services that staffing agencies offer are at NO COST TO YOU, THE UNEMPLOYED. Consider it a charity for you pathetic selves and get off unemployment... I'm tired of my tax dollars (which you're likely not paying) funding your mindless daytime television-watching, time wasting (ie: making comments on this site and using the thesaurus to find BIG WORDS) idiots.

Denver -- in Denver, Colorado said: When you say "they" don't consider it false advertising, you are referring to the agency. Of course THEY don't consider it false! They don't want to get busted!

The LAW DOES consider it fraud.

Agencies can put in "general" ads but they cannot "PRETEND" they have a lot of jobs to fill when they DO NOT. This is a fact and if you don't believe me, contact the State Atty. General of your state.

Believe me, I've looked into this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Lou in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

Ann in Sacramento, California said: "false advertising" occurs when they are "advertising" something for you to purchase... services that staffing agencies offer are at NO COST TO YOU, THE UNEMPLOYED. Consider it a charity for you pathetic selves and get off unemployment... I'm tired of my tax dollars (which you're likely not paying) funding your mindless daytime television-watching, time wasting (ie: making comments on this site and using the thesaurus to find BIG WORDS) idiots.

Ann,

Sorry, Ann bimbo, but I am GAINFULY EMPLOYED. AND I'm a Republican Conservative. You're a good reason to allow abortion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Valparaiso, Indiana

98 months ago

And employees don't pay into unemployment through taxes...that is solely paid by the employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sherrie in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

Lori in Valparaiso, Indiana said: And employees don't pay into unemployment through taxes...that is solely paid by the employer.

I have a feeling that Ann is Sacramento works for Robert Half or Office Team!!! LOL !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scam Artists - Large Agencies in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

In 1986, I was earning $9/hr. for administrative work. Yes, that's right - 1986!!!

It is outrageous that these temp agencies are paying in that same range for many administrative jobs! That was over TWENTY YEARS AGO!

The difference is the agency is taking 70% or more markup, whereas they used to only charge about 30%.

They are scam artists and fraudulent! Stay away!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Schmoe in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

98 months ago

So are you saying that the agencies should still only make 30%, but the employees should make 70% more than they used to? That doesn't seem to make much sense either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scam Artists- Large Agencies in Littleton, Colorado

98 months ago

Joe Schmoe in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: So are you saying that the agencies should still only make 30%, but the employees should make 70% more than they used to? That doesn't seem to make much sense either.

You are not understanding my posting. Agencies are charging a HUGE CHUNK now to the employer; whereas, for example, they would take 30% of the total amount invoived, they are now taking 70%. Get it?

Jobs that paid $9.00 in 1986 should not STILL be paying the employee $9.00/hr! It's 20 years later! The agency can charge MORE but they should not be taking a higher percentage. I know this is a difficult concept for some....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Knoxville

97 months ago

IN the late eighties I also was making MORE than I have been offered by employers in the last two months. I am astounded. Why are people accepting work for which they are NOT being compensated fairly? How in the world can people live on 8 and 10 dollars an hour with utilities and gasoline and everything else going up as quickly as it does and wages being not only stagnant, but being less in many cases than they were in 1989? I was making $10 an hour in 1989, and I have recently been offered jobs for $8!!! I refuse to work for slave wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl K in Delaware in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

97 months ago

Office Team is a bunch of big, dumb jerks. What happened to me was false advertising. One in 2001, long, term indefinite, and I get sent home after half a day there due to lack of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

I also have a good mind to go down to Office Team and picket the place. Go ahead, make my day, and call me ther other Militant Midget as Ralph Carter's character, Michael Evans, was called in the early seasons of the Good Times TV show.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

Up yours, Office Team! You bite!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

LAZY AGENCIES! SIT ON THEIR BUTTS! in Denver, Colorado

97 months ago

If you live near a large city, check out the BUSINESS JOURNALS for companies to apply to. Why use agencies? They'll just completely waste your time and use YOUR resume to find new clients as they are LAZY, sit on their butts and collect resumes!!!

Jennifer in Colorado Springs, Colorado

97 months ago

Yes, looking through the Business Journal is a great idea but you're going to find that a good number of these companies will let HR do all of their hiring and those are the people who collect resumes and only hire or call someone in for a job when they have the okay. I work for a staffing agency (and no, it's not OfficeTeam.) I work extremely hard for the candidates walking through my doors and I don't just collect resumes. I take the time to speak to each and every person who comes in. If I need to work after hours to accomodate them I will. I'm known to work Saturday's and Sunday's in addition the normal week to find work for my candidates. I'm sure you've had a bad experience with agencies but not everyone is the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

david faxon in Colorado Springs, Colorado

93 months ago

hey i don't know who you are but i know that anybody who claims to be a "republican" but says some s%^! like you have said should remove their head from their a** or due us all a favor leave your head up there and fart so you blow yourself up THANK YOU U PIECE OF S%^!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Suzee in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

Cheryl K in Delaware in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Office Team is a bunch of big, dumb jerks. What happened to me was false advertising. One in 2001, long, term indefinite, and I get sent home after half a day there due to lack of work.

In some states, they MUST pay you a minimum of 4 hrs. work if they send you home right away! Check it out with your Employment Commission!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas

77 months ago

Temp agencies do post phony jobs ads all the time. Its very misleading. This is fraud and its wrong. Don't we teach our children that its wrong to tell a lie?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

David Stokes in Fort Worth, Texas

71 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: Temp agencies do post phony jobs ads all the time. Its very misleading. This is fraud and its wrong. Don't we teach our children that its wrong to tell a lie?

Whoever this is I live close by you and I agree with you 110%. I moved to Texas because my girlfriend moved down here and told me there are is alot of booming industry out here. I just graduates from college as an Industrial Maintenance Tech. I been here for less then a month and applied for several jobs. Most of them were with temps because they are the main one who post jobs for the work I am looking for. Recently I have had a few temps actually call me and tell me they had jobs I would be qualified for. So as they requested I went to their office, filled out app, and interviewed with recruiter. I still have not heard anything back from them however it has not been that long. But my question is if they ACTUALLLY got the job thru the client then shouldn't the background and reference check process be more expedited. I also think they post job wages that are not necessarily true. For example they may post $20 per hr. then look for a qualified mexican(not to be racist but its the truth)to accept the work for much less. And I do agree that they post ads to recruit people in their readily available data base.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.