Getting hire after 50+_

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 246)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Juana in New York City in Little Neck, New York

104 months ago

What is up with this companies and agencies? They do not want to hire someone after 50. If you don't put the dates on the resume, they'll contact you wanting to know the dates and then when you tell them, they never call you back. You would think they want some one reliable and with experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No Reply - Report abuse

Not Quite 50 in Hinsdale, Illinois

104 months ago

First of all, I really like using Indeed.com. What a great idea to have all of the job sites stream into one location! Now, I don't have to search each site separately; it saves a lot of time each morning.

Also...Juana in NYC, I agree with you. I just had my first phone interview from my latest attempt to find a job. There's nothing worse than a 20-something person sneering at you, like you're a has-been. The attitude is indicative of our culture that emphasizes that young is better. I can understand a company wanting low-cost employees, but doesn't experience and reliability mean anything anymore? Hang in there! I hope something comes along soon for us "older" workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Thanks, not quite 50 in Hinsdale, Illinois, I am trying to hang in there. I have no other choice. I hope America wakes up. Older workers have a lot to offer. Lets hope things change before I retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

I love your comments. Feel the same way too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Atlanta, Georgia

104 months ago

to anonymous in Atlanta, GA - no wonder no one wants to hire you........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Colorado in Lafayette, Colorado

104 months ago

oh--Meow, Meow, Meow,

Put your claws back in and go groom yourself if you can't simply laugh like the rest of us. As a matter of fact, I'd hire ....as soon as I get my company going...(blasted hiring freeze for those over 50 is darn chilly with no global warming in sight!
(ha-ha)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Houston, TX in Houston, Texas

104 months ago

The job climate is "supposed" to be excellent in this sprawling city by the Gulf but don't tell that to us "old timers" the older you get the worse it gets. After all the rejections, I'm beginning to feel unwanted and unloved (like George). I just keep putting my best forward and selfishly pray alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth McLaughlin in Sparta, New Jersey

103 months ago

Juana in New York City said: Thanks, not quite 50 in Hinsdale, Illinois, I am trying to hang in there. I have no other choice. I hope America wakes up. Older workers have a lot to offer. Lets hope things change before I retire.

I do not think it is age, it is the state of the economy. I am 53 and found secretarial temp jobs and hey a material handling position, wowwwwww! Had four jobs this year and layed off of all of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Fayetteville, North Carolina

103 months ago

What has happened to appreciating experience? What I have been told is that some businesses now what a degree, experience, and younger person - so they don't hvae to pay as much. I got news for them, the double effort it takes to train someone, or the extra time it takes a more "seasoned" person to do it for them, is far more costly than keeping the experience.

I have also "lost jobs", wage freeze and grant was not extended, admin responsibilities sent back to corporate office = loss of 2 admins, work decreased dramatically = loss of 5 admins, company owner died. Yep, these were in 3 years. Before this, worked with F500 company for 18 years. These were things not in my control. So, why am I repeatedly questioned about the last 5 years instead of looking at the 18 yrs of longevity - and with 3 GREAT reference letters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

103 months ago

Regarding if you are over 50 and are working for an income. Most people are seeking employment for income because the economy is so bad. Throughout my working career, I have seen hundreds of technical engineers loose employment, executives in technology loose employment, and companies merge to make ends meet. I will be working until I drop dead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

103 months ago

AND, with NAFTA pushing trucks up from Mexico there will be more unemployment and costs to communities that is unsustainable. Contact your local politician and learn more...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

juana in New York City in Little Neck, New York

103 months ago

Finally found a job after 5 months, took a paycut. Hopefully it'll last more than a year. Good luck to all, don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

103 months ago

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

biffula in Arlington, Texas

103 months ago

Elizabeth McLaughlin said: AND, with NAFTA pushing trucks up from Mexico there will be more unemployment and costs to communities that is unsustainable. Contact your local politician and learn more...

Americans you need to wake up! It's a global economy. We've lived fat and happy so long we're in for a big wake up! When dirt poor people around the world are willing to work for less what do you expect to happen? Companies are only smart to outsource the jobs. Labor is a commodity. Companies will go where it's cheapest. Get yourself educated and stop your pathetic whining!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

me in Richardson, Texas

103 months ago

Excuse me?

When you have two children, day care costs are incredible and to work in a country that is "phasing in" an increase in the min wage over 2 years (yet the bill collectors won't wait two years for me to pay them), health insurance is another joke, esp if you discover you are pregnant and can't get it b/c of some "insurance guidelines"....You put yourself through college and when you go after the "crappy" jobs that you are willing to take to help your famiiy and they say: you are over-qualified, yet under-qualifed for the "better" ones. I had a great job, but the COMPANY CLOSED OVER CHRISTMAS WITH 1 WEEK NOTICE (12/24 NOTIFIED, LAST DAY 12/31) AND LEFT MY FAMILY WITHOUT INSURANCE, STABILTY, ETC. I think I speak for a lot of people here speaking in the boards that we are willing to work for little to nothing to have a fair chance at opportunity and stability.

Why don't YOU grow up? Reality SUCKS sometimes, you just have to do what you can. A lot of people on these job boards are not whining, they are venting b/c they know that somewhere, someone else is walking in the same shoes they are. A little encouragement goes a long, long way!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lonnie in San Antonio, Texas

103 months ago

What are the American bigwigs going to do when the Americans who lost their jobs to "global outsourcing" can not buy their products that are produced? Eventually, these so called "smart" companies will CLOSE DOWN because Americans can not buy their products. Wake up, America bigwigs who outsource. Someday, you will be writing your own PINK SLIP. So there!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

me in Richardson, Texas

103 months ago

Ditto here too!! You are sooo right. The people at the top are selfish. Can't be w/out the Yacht or the mansion and will step on whomever they can to get there!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Kingsland, Georgia

103 months ago

Hey try retirementjobs.com they claim to be a 50+ friendly employment sight I have ran across some pretty good jobs on there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Over 50 in Indy

102 months ago

Juana in New York City said: What is up with this companies and agencies? They do not want to hire someone after 50. If you don't put the dates on the resume, they'll contact you wanting to know the dates and then when you tell them, they never call you back. You would think they want some one reliable and with experience.
Wow it's nice to here this happens to other folks outside of Indianapolis, IN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Hooksett, New Hampshire

102 months ago

Juana in New York City said: What is up with this companies and agencies? They do not want to hire someone after 50. If you don't put the dates on the resume, they'll contact you wanting to know the dates and then when you tell them, they never call you back. You would think they want some one reliable and with experience.
Lot's of us out there understand what you are going threw. Keep trying, there has to be a real EOE out there somewhere!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Hooksett, New Hampshire

102 months ago

biffula said:
Americans you need to wake up! It's a global economy. We've lived fat and happy so long we're in for a big wake up! When dirt poor people around the world are willing to work for less what do you expect to happen? Companies are only smart to outsource the jobs. Labor is a commodity. Companies will go where it's cheapest. Get yourself educated and stop your pathetic whining!
AND you call yourself an AMERICAN?? You ought to be ashamed of yourself, treating your country men like that!People like you digust me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blondie10198 in Cincinnati, Ohio

102 months ago

I live in southern Indiana, I was (replaced) as my ex-boss called it. I have been looking for work for 2 months now. I have had 3 interviews, some say I'll call you but they don't.
I agree with different ones on here, we have been out there working and know our jobs. Hopefully someone will hire us so we can prove to them we are just as good or even better than the younger group wanting our jobs.
We are the delf trained, learn from the old school ways of doing things, but it works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

juana in New York City in New York, New York

102 months ago

To Blondie in Cincinnati, hang in there I found a job after 5 months. try the health care industry. They are much more forgiving ....Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

papamiller in Rochester, New York

102 months ago

Excuse my ranting, but as a person over 50 and unemployed for six months now, I'm annoyed.

The government continues to raise the retirement age to offset the future shortage in Social Security. Correct me if I'm wrong but to receive full benefits you need to be 66 or 67 years of age. For folks who depend on SS to live, need to keep working. In todays workforce, who the hell is going to hire someone at that age? You might be able to get a job as a WalMart greeter at $7.00 / hour. It's bad enough at 50+ your past over for the younger job seeker.

Please don't fault those who didn't prepare for retirement by putting money away. Events happen in peoples lives which puts them in a situation where they become dependent on these benefits.

If you are 50+ years old, unemployed, and you think you been a victim of age discrimination; just try and prove it.

As higher paying jobs continue to poor out to these third world countries, only to fuel corporate greed, there will be more and more people in this situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

Has anyone tried RETIREMENTJOBS.COM?
They claim to be a 50+ friendly employment sight I have ran across some pretty good jobs on there. Also there is retireecareers.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

blondie10198 in Chandler, Indiana

102 months ago

papamiller in Rochester, New York I agree with you all the way. Although I haven't been out of work 6 months but it seans that way. What realy makes me mad are some of the people that care about you. This one lady I know tells me every day someone younger and better looking wilkl get all the jobs I apply for. That's suppost to be my friend???
The one I really like are the interviews I go to and they say I will call you next week for a second interview. They forgot how long is week is. People that say I will call you and let you know never call whats up with today's people. Get back to the old way of doing thigs, in peson.
I may not be the best looking person but I can run a great office with all the skills I have. Alotof us over 50 are willing to work, we know our jobs and don't have to have all the training that they younger ones do.
Think about it, Employeers when you go to hair that young person, you get someone out of collage, and you have to train them for the job, then after the training is done, how many of the stay? They just want a job for the money, sure I want aI job for money don't we all but I love to work and I am a good worker, I the past 6 years I missed work 3 times.
When I have a Personal problem it stays at home where it should.
I'm sorry to rant here but I was just in the mood to say something.
I agree with alot of people here. I hope someone will hire all of us over 50 works and see they made the right choice.

blondie10198 in Evansville, Indiana NOT Cincinnati, Ohio

Coach Barbara LaRock in Reston, Virginia

102 months ago

Guide

Juana: You're quite right: age discrimination is a reality that has to be dealt with. Make sure your resume begins with a summary of your skills, accomplishments and experience. You may want to omit jobs past 15 years ago, especially is they're not relevant. Also, you may want to omit your year(s) of graduation from college(s) you attended. On the Professional Experience section, quantify your entries as much as possible so potential employers can see at a glance all you have to offer. Check out the AARP website for helpful jobg seeking hints for older workers.
Career Coach Barbara LaRock

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

I totally agree.

Even at 25 one is over the hill for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

I am crossing off the hiring sites. I have not been lucky for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

the bottom line is - there are not enough jobs to go around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

Coach Barbara LaRock said:
Juana: You're quite right: age discrimination is a reality that has to be dealt with. Make sure your resume begins with a summary of your skills, accomplishments and experience. You may want to omit jobs past 15 years ago, especially is they're not relevant. Also, you may want to omit your year(s) of graduation from college(s) you attended. On the Professional Experience section, quantify your entries as much as possible so potential employers can see at a glance all you have to offer. Check out the AARP website for helpful jobg seeking hints for older workers.
Career Coach Barbara LaRock

Doing all that might get an interview, but if they're dead set on hiring younger people, you're still not going to get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

I really do not think that it matters. There just is not enough jobs to go around, period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

I think there are a lot of low paying jobs out there. The problem is, you need 2 or 3 of them to pay the bills. My god, you need a part time job just to put gas in your car.

102 months ago

I have been there and done that. Two jobs and most of the time both retail companies want you to work the same shifts. Working the two jobs proves to be unrewarding and a waste of time. And the interviewers at most of the companies that I have been at for admin positions proved to be very unpolished and unprofessional.

me in Knoxville, Tennessee

102 months ago

papamiller said: I think there are a lot of low paying jobs out there. The problem is, you need 2 or 3 of them to pay the bills. My god, you need a part time job just to put gas in your car.

I HEARD THAT! THANK GOD FOR E-MAIL AND FAXING TOO: THE PRICE OF STAMPS IS GOING UP AGAIN!!!!

102 months ago

the problem is nation wide. And global.

D Pinehurst FL in Tampa, Florida

102 months ago

I was excited when someone mentioned retirementjobs.com and rushed to look them over. Jobs in this state at that website are with Office Team, Countrywide, and Home Depot. All of which have give me the royal run around.
I know all about age discrimination. I went to one interview where the blond with the dark roots told me that I would have had a better chance if I had dyed my grey hair. What nerve.
I interviewed with Sykes Enterprises a few years back and the VP chose a cute young blonde over me. Two weeks later they call me because she is quitting for a better paying job and they need someone quick. So I go work for them. Six months later, the VP resigns and the new VP comes in with a cute little young blonde and so I am let go since he already has an assistant. Funny thing is, she quits 3 weeks later when she get a better deal. He didn't call me though, I think he was too embarrassed as he should have been.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

Go out and get your own job or post an ad for your admin services. You do not need an agency or have to do business with uneducated businesses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

D Pinehurst FL said: I was excited when someone mentioned retirementjobs.com and rushed to look them over. Jobs in this state at that website are with Office Team, Countrywide, and Home Depot. All of which have give me the royal run around.
I know all about age discrimination. I went to one interview where the blond with the dark roots told me that I would have had a better chance if I had dyed my grey hair. What nerve.
I interviewed with Sykes Enterprises a few years back and the VP chose a cute young blonde over me. Two weeks later they call me because she is quitting for a better paying job and they need someone quick. So I go work for them. Six months later, the VP resigns and the new VP comes in with a cute little young blonde and so I am let go since he already has an assistant. Funny thing is, she quits 3 weeks later when she get a better deal. He didn't call me though, I think he was too embarrassed as he should have been.

Guess what that's called age discrimination and they can be sued! I really would take it up with someone.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia in Osseo, Minnesota

102 months ago

I get so frustrated in my office. I am in my 30s but I work next to (2) 24 year old girls. They come in late, talk on their cell phone and sit on myspace. I have to pick up their slack and I have tried to say something to my boss and she tells me I am not being a team player. I WISH I could tell her to hire someone over 50. At least I know they will work and be proud of their accomplishments. (I am not trying to sterotype younger workers but all of them that work in my company are like that)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

Olivia said: I get so frustrated in my office. I am in my 30s but I work next to (2) 24 year old girls. They come in late, talk on their cell phone and sit on myspace. I have to pick up their slack and I have tried to say something to my boss and she tells me I am not being a team player. I WISH I could tell her to hire someone over 50. At least I know they will work and be proud of their accomplishments. (I am not trying to sterotype younger workers but all of them that work in my company are like that)

You're not alone. I've worked in that environment for eight years, although I miss the money, I don't miss the work environment.

Anonymous in Plano, Texas

102 months ago

I think getting a job is based on Law of Supply and Demand. I always chuckle when I read that companies are experiencing a "shortage" of skilled workers. Gee, I'm a SALT tax professional (sales & use tax; excise tax; franchise tax; property tax; payroll tax), with a B.S. in Business Administration. I have experience in: telecom, aerospace, oil & gas; software, and government. I also have systems implementation experience with SAP & Vertex.

Guess what? The demand is in Income Tax, of which I have no experience. I'm having a tough time even getting consulting positions.

When I look at "Hot Jobs", if I filter out years of experience, it's intersting to see that the number of openings with over 5 years of experience is slim pickings.

I fully understand why the Boomers are going into their own businesses and becoming successful. Let the young folks try to run the corporations.

When you think about it, the old and young can have magnificent results by utilizing each other's skill sets and working as a team. That is something ALL of us have to learn.

102 months ago

It is sad but they are consumers and that is the bottom line. The companies put up with it because many in management act the same stupid way. The decline of American business.

102 months ago

Well last night I went to the local shopping mall and the furniture store run by an excellent businessman is going out of business. AND even the independent dollar store has closed at another State AND the pet store too is going out. My friends in SC opened up a pizza shop and the two years ago and the building and business is now up for sale. AND most of the corporations that I worked for were not doing well and that was ten years ago. This country does not have manufacturing jobs to support the country. The same with our European countries. I do believe that there will be no monetary exchange for services and people will just be helping one another and the utilities will have to do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve Dillon in Sun City Center, Florida

102 months ago

Being 25, we got to put you "ol cootes out to pasture" LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Dillon in Sun City Center, Florida

102 months ago

Elizabeth McLaughlin said: AND, with NAFTA pushing trucks up from Mexico there will be more unemployment and costs to communities that is unsustainable. Contact your local politician and learn more...

Yep, you got it! It's mostly the Mexicans that are causing this by stealing our jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in North Ridgeville, Ohio

102 months ago

DITTO DITTO AND ANOTHER DITTO !!

[QUOTE who="R. Goodlad Frano, N.R.E.M.T-4, A.C.L.S."]Howdy everyone...
I have approximatly 8.5 to 9 "K", (thousand)resumes since being downsized from my last f/t position, 6 wks before some religious apostates flew through my former ofc. windows...
I have recently been using 'Monster.com', (an unfunny 'joke!), 'Craig's
List.org', (6 months of semi-employment), & have just begun using indeed.com, (several items pending; (No $-chk. / results yet!).
I continually hear Bush & co. crow 'bout the economy, w/ their '4.5% unemployment rate', (a 'bovine dripping' if ever I heard one!) & I am looking forward to watching the two halves of the mis-ruling party tonight, as Bush.Usurper tells us all how wonderful everything in iraq is, (...smoking 'crack' again, georgi-boy?), while the other imbeciles pass their non-binding resolutions,( so the war profiteering can continue & they can pretend their just 'poor working stiffs' like the rest of us!).
{sigh}...I probably shouldn't 'rant' here, but w/ 173 resumes sent since 01.01.07, I'd really like to get my little 'hooves' on an employer's
keyboard again...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

Steve Dillon said:
Being 25, we got to put you "ol cootes out to pasture" LOL!

I would love to spend the rest of my life "out to pasture."

Because of the rising retirement age, Social Security benefits are not there until age 66. The cost of living continues to rise, depending on what state you live, taxes are going up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D Pinehurst FL in Tampa, Florida

102 months ago

When the world trade agreements were signed, we got scr--ed. Make any phone call to any company and you will end up speaking to someone in the Phillipines, India, China, or even Russia. Companies that specialize in training these people to sit in front of a computer and type in your question and they are also trained (some better than others) to speak English without an accent. It is why most other countries teach English in all their schools. Now, when all of these jobs are taken by other countries, the people that used to have these jobs have to do something else so that hurts the employment rates for other fields. And they can not longer do lawn work, install cable, or work in a restaurant because we have over 12 million illegals doing those jobs. Production plants are now in China and Mexico so those jobs are gone for Americans. Products are cheap and have little to no regulations so we end up getting products that kill our pets and harm our children.
The rich are getting richer by selling out our country and killing us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

I agree, even at 25 I could not find an adequate job. I would love to retire but I do not have health care, need to pay for rising costs such as GAS, food etc. Also with the food sources being contaminated (per pet episode) I need the money to grow my own food.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.