Is it ok to give your SSN and bank account to Office Team?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Ana in Manassas, Virginia

40 months ago

I applied for a job thru monster not knowing it is for a staffing firm. Had a phone interview then was scheduled for personal interview.

At the Office Team HQ, the receptionist made a copy of my EAD card and gave me paperworks to fill out including W2. I tried to skip the part were i was asked for the SSN, checking account routing number and account number. But they insisted so I gave in.

After the paperworks, i did the assessment test and a person in business suit interviewed me. Then i was sent home and told to wait for my job assignment. Turns out the job posting i applied to was not available anymore.

Anyone here experienced the same?
Should I inform my bank about it so they can change my account number? I'm now afraid that I might soon become a victim of identity theft.
Would you inform Social Security services about this?

Everyone was really nice at the office so they earned my trust easily. I haven't receive any calls from them until now so i'm starting to doubt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

39 months ago

Why would they need your back account information???

I worked for them and they didn't do direct deposit.

I have mixed feelings about them, but I don't see why they would need that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland

38 months ago

Temp agencies, just like any other employer, have to fill out tax forms if you are under their employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

38 months ago

They don't need your SS # until they actually are getting ready to send you out on an assignment.

Because no taxes are calculated until after you start earning money through them.

No reason to give it ahead of time.

And they certainly don't need your banking information ever.

The last thing someone wants to do is leave private information at 4 and 5 temp agencies that may never find them work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Sacramento, California

30 months ago

OfficeTeam *does* offer direct deposit, but (at least here in Sacramento), it's not mandatory that I participate in that program. It's unlikely anything bad will happen because of their having your banking account info, so I wouldn't worry toooo much. But if you're super stressed out about it, then maybe it would be better for you to change banks, or at least close that account and open a new one ... just for your own peace of mind!

If you find yourself in this position in the future, ask about other payment options. Will they send you a check? Do they have a debit card? Granted, a debit card might still require banking account info, however you could open a separate account JUST for this purpose, if you're that concerned about a staffing agency having your banking info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Sacramento, California

30 months ago

Oh, and they DO need your SSN, or other proof of citizenship, when you register at the agency. There is a long list of documents you can provide and OfficeTeam should be able to offer options if you're uncomfortable providing your SSN. Actually, they need 2 pieces of identification -- I've always used my SSN and DL -- and I've not had a problem in 15 years of temp work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.