How Temp Agencies Operate - avoid. Work at Starbucks instead. Seriously.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 120)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Well said. Mainly in term to perm you are just keeping the seat warm for a direct hire perm person who is going to be hired

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

36 months ago

appointment, spelling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland

35 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Nothing is more disappointing than preparing for that appoint-ment, getting all dressed up, spending 1 1/2 hours on spellintg, math, typing, and whatever tests, meeting with a recruiter with hopes of getting a great job to last for years - only to be let down.

I got a temp-to-perm job last year. I had a real interview with the attorney. The job lasted three days. He barely spoke above a whisper.

The secretary (long term) next to me barely spoke to me, very unwelcoming. That says a lot right there. I spent those three days doing filing and pleading indexing that hadn't been done in months. I took a shortcut in the pleading indexing, for all those subpoenaes and copy requests, put them in one number (which was a no-no) and I had to separate them.

Signs of temp only: Your neighbor doesn't acknowledge you. You don't get a log-in on the computer. No on speaks to you, including the receptionist when you first come in. The person you work for barely speaks above a whisper.

Did you consider that she was a quiet person? Did you consider that you weren't right for the job? Did you consider that maybe she was having a bad week? I hope there aren't too many people reading these forums who are impressionable enough to walk away from work pre-emptively because they think that someone not chatting them up is a sign of imminent termination.

Btw, when an IT department creates a new log-in for a computer, there is a lot that goes with it- for instance, a new log-in makes a new user, and so for any software that you'd use on that terminal (MS Office, etc), it consumes one of their user licenses. Licenses cost money. If they don't have a temp log-in set up, why set one up for you? You're on a temp assignment- could walk out as easily as they could ask you to leave- potentially waste the cost of licenses for whatever software...

Be realistic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (72) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland said: Its a business model. Temp agencies are in business to make money, just like the company you are/were temping at is in business to make money. Of course there is a contract fee to buy out your contract. If the office likes you, but doesn't love you- thinks you're good, but not great- they're not going to buy your contract out from the temp agency. Several years ago (mid 2000's) I was at Ajilon (temp agency) in NJ, and was on three different temp-to-perm assignments. It was only on the third assignment that my contract was bought out. All agencies have contract buyouts. Its part of the business.

BTW, what kind of a fee do you think headhunters/recruiters charge for bringing you in? At least 15%...often, significantly more.

Then it shouldn't be advertised as 'temp to perm' if there isn't a great chance of becoming permanent. The company can always make up reasons that the temp wasn't 'good enough' to become perm when the reality is that company/client never intended to convert the temp to permanent status in the first place.. Advertising an assignment as temp to perm when it really isn't is deceptive at best and fraudulent at worst.

With regards to someone not speaking to you or making small talk... To me that is a given -- you are a temp which creates an adversarial relationship with the permanent employees but on the other hand you don't have to be spoken to in a condescending, patronizing and/or in demeaning manner either

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Nick, welcome to the world of capitalism. Ever watch a McDonalds commercial? Ever notice how they're not required to tell you the mind-boggling levels of sodium and saturated fats are in most of their stuff? On top of not having to tell you that, in their advertisements that reach millions and millions of people, they can go a step further, and mislead you by showing images of fresh, ripe vegetables, high-quality beef, and making vaguely concealed insinuations that they sell healthy, high-quality meals.

Some companies are going to say it is a "temp-to-perm" position when it is not. Some may be truthful when they say temp-to-perm, and then see the ease and value of leaving a position as temp for some extended period of time, or indefinitely. Some jobs may be temp-to-perm, and despite our own analysis, we are not exactly what they're looking for- and face it, this is a buyers market.

It has never been my experience that being a temp creates "an adversarial relationship" with the full-time employees. Not sure what to say regarding that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland said: Nick, welcome to the world of capitalism. Ever watch a McDonalds commercial? Ever notice how they're not required to tell you the mind-boggling levels of sodium and saturated fats are in most of their stuff? On top of not having to tell you that, in their advertisements that reach millions and millions of people, they can go a step further, and mislead you by showing images of fresh, ripe vegetables, high-quality beef, and making vaguely concealed insinuations that they sell healthy, high-quality meals.

Some companies are going to say it is a "temp-to-perm" position when it is not. Some may be truthful when they say temp-to-perm, and then see the ease and value of leaving a position as temp for some extended period of time, or indefinitely. Some jobs may be temp-to-perm, and despite our own analysis, we are not exactly what they're looking for- and face it, this is a buyers market.

It has never been my experience that being a temp creates "an adversarial relationship" with the full-time employees. Not sure what to say regarding that.

It is good that it worked out for you. Unfortunately many times it isn't the case. And yes it does create an adversarial relationship because you are 'only a temp'. And I have had a few temp jobs where there has been literally nothing to do. The regular staff complained about having to work until midnight but I practically had to beg & plead my manager for something to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: It is good that it worked out for you. Unfortunately many times it isn't the case. And yes it does create an adversarial relationship because you are 'only a temp'. And I have had a few temp jobs where there has been literally nothing to do. The regular staff complained about having to work until midnight but I practically had to beg & plead my manager for something to do.

If you had a job as a direct employee, and they brought in a temp for some data entry or to cover for someone who was out, or on a temp-to-perm situation, would you think of them as "only a temp" and treat them differently than your other co-workers? I can't believe you would, so I can't believe the typical employee looks at differently, or treats differently, someone who is there on a short-term or undetermined length of time.

If that's the treatment you're getting, maybe you're coming across to people differently than you think you are?

Not sure what the scenario is, but, I've never had that experience, and I've worked in 6 or 7 different offices in the last 12 years, some as temp, some as permanent employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Hallie in Omaha, Nebraska

34 months ago

OKAY~ I work for an agency and feel like I should say SOMETHING.
Most office assignements are temporary. However, these opportunities can turn into perminant. I personally have never told anyone it was temp to hire if it wasn't but instead I say this. "You know, they are only really looking for someone for about a month or so, but I will tell you one thing. NO company is going to let a good one go. If you go in there and prove yourself to them and make yourself invaluable, who knows. You might find yourself in a perminant position."

I staff mainly industrial clients who do temp to hire placements. There is a reason for this and it's not to make a million dollars. It's try before you buy. Hiring one employee costs about 10 k a year in benefits. These companies want to make sure that they have the right fit before they buy into unemployment,work comp liability, health bennies, etc. It's a win-win. The employee gets to see if it's a company they can truely see themselves working for, and the company the same.

The trick here is.. YOU have to make yourself the one they can't live without. I have done direct hire placements and honestly, this is not the way to hire. Too many variables that you simply can not know before hand.

I have made the 5 PM call~ Many times. My interpretation of this is.. The clients are too spineless to face it themselves. I hate that call. But unfortunately, the clients do this to us all the time. And Yes, I lie to you about why they don't need you back. But truely it's to save YOUR feelings. Because everyone always thinks they are great at everything and no one wants to hear the truth, and I certainly can't argue for my client as to why, so it aviods ALOT. So I take it. Chances are I will place a deserving employee on another job. If you have ever been placed on another job afterwards chances are it was the client being retarded, but the agency still thinks your worth it. My 2 Cents

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

cyberaim123 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

34 months ago

There are some good staffing agencies. I was fortunate years ago and had a professional and very workable situation. I was treated with respect, and often was ask to work for the companies that I was temping for, but often some of the companies were on the horrible side. So glad I had the opportunity to see what it was like before being asked. (there is an up side to temping) I think it would be really helpful to list those companies that are staffing agencies that have been good to work for.

Here are some signs of a not so good temp/staffing agency:

The staff that you communicate and interview with comes off as not informed, and at the same time have signs of an "attitude".

Phone interviews are poorly constructed.

The person interviewing you does not ask you do not ask your skill set, or treat you with disrespect in anyway if you are very qualified or older then they are, or is uncomfortable with normal interview questions that you may ask.

If you work for a company that constantly calling you if you take a planned day off, or in anyway sounds like they are suspicious of you if you do. (plenty of those btw).

Basically, don't ever believe an agency or company that says the job you are working for is temp to hire, that you will get the job.
Use the agencies to see if you like the working environment of the placement or staffing agency. You don't have to tell them if you work for another agency, you can actually "shop" these agencies to see which ones are the best to work for in regards to placement, and how qualified they are to work for you. Don't get upset, or get an attitude, just look at it as though you get to get a feel for who you want to work for, while working hard at placements, and these agencies.

Anyone have suggestions on good experiences of any agency? I have a few "bad" (don't work for them, unless you have to) because of the agency, but there are a few good ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland said: If you had a job as a direct employee, and they brought in a temp for some data entry or to cover for someone who was out, or on a temp-to-perm situation, would you think of them as "only a temp" and treat them differently than your other co-workers? I can't believe you would, so I can't believe the typical employee looks at differently, or treats differently, someone who is there on a short-term or undetermined length of time.

If that's the treatment you're getting, maybe you're coming across to people differently than you think you are?

Not sure what the scenario is, but, I've never had that experience, and I've worked in 6 or 7 different offices in the last 12 years, some as temp, some as permanent employee.

Unfortunately, there are some who actually treat those who are temping as "unfriendly". Often, it is only because you are a temp, and although they are probably not aware they are doing it, to them the temp person is "just a temp person" and come off as being impolite even if they don't mean to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hallie in Omaha, Nebraska

34 months ago

I did work for a VERY reputable agency. I do feel that way because I was running my area of the agency. (get to know who you are working for . Everyone is defferent, (I'm sure you'll agree) It WAS A-1 STAFFING. However, we recently sold to a very large corporate company called SPARTAN STAFFING. I haven't really had the chance to get to know them yet, but I;m confident if I work for them longer than 6 months they are reputable. But ultimately, it's up to who runs the place.

It's the rep that owns the reputation.

We are ALL underpaid, and at times the temps make more money than us. Please, if you take nothing from this forum it is this... Judge an agency by the indiviual running it. Just like a temp (which we are all once before) everyone is different. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Hallie in Omaha, Nebraska said: I did work for a VERY reputable agency. I do feel that way because I was running my area of the agency. (get to know who you are working for . Everyone is defferent, (I'm sure you'll agree) It WAS A-1 STAFFING. However, we recently sold to a very large corporate company called SPARTAN STAFFING. I haven't really had the chance to get to know them yet, but I;m confident if I work for them longer than 6 months they are reputable. But ultimately, it's up to who runs the place.

It's the rep that owns the reputation.

We are ALL underpaid, and at times the temps make more money than us. Please, if you take nothing from this forum it is this... Judge an agency by the indiviual running it. Just like a temp (which we are all once before) everyone is different. :)

Your point about the person who runs the agency at that office, is a good one. I have said I have had some good experiences because of this - and I always had the opportunity to work at jobs offered.
I did have a lot of varied experience that helped me with that.
I understood business processes, and had a good background too.

I used these agencies to see what companies had a good working environment. You are always not going to like something, but I would look for how management treated the employees as well as other general information. It worked well because if I really did not like a company, I would work there until a new job someplace else opened up. The rep I worked with was wonderful, and respectful. I did shop agencies, however. There is a huge difference between agencies in locations. I liked to walk in and see how the office staff worked. I can also tell you that I worked for many companies, and only found two that I had considered working for full time.
Inexperience of some of the staff at these agencies are the problem. It isn't just what they don't know, but how they react to what they don't know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Okay, I am going to risk something in this comment in effort to help out. I know it will come off as being a bit rough, but bare with me.

One: If you are going to use agencies for placement, or temp work - use them. I don't mean by commanding them to do your bidding, okay?

I have said it before: Shop those agencies. Find the people who are professional and look for an office that seems to work well.

Getting temp work, including filing while you have a degree may seem under you, but you are only "temping" and keep that in mind. You have a chance to see how the company works as a "temp". Just look at it like that. When you go, be professional - no matter how small the job may seem. Remember, you are only a "temp" and you do not have to take a job that you don't like. Learn their systems if you have the chance too. I remember getting stuck with all the filing, but while I was filing I noticed duplicate invoices that were paid more then once, and upon investigation learned that the company had overpaid by large amounts of money. I took it to the supervisor that I reported to on the job, and found even more money. (apparently something happened when switching over to new software) Yes, I showed where this happened. No one was fired, but the problem was solved and I was asked to work for them. I did not decide to take the job because of the working environment. My supervisor was great, but the way the other management handled the situation was really bad. I had to show them how it happened for 500,000 plus paid "experts" not to run around and blame others for the mistake. You can tell a lot by just filing, and you have some money coming in while learning about the company you have been placed. No one likes filing, but had the company been a place I had wanted to work for, and not so hostile - I would have taken the job. I did take another job I loved. Good things to know. Lowly temp job is really a chance to investigate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky

34 months ago

I went with a local staffing company that appeared to be a lot better than other staffing agencies I tried in the past. They were recruiting for a data entry/patient verification position at a health insurance company. I have years of data entry experience and I'm very good with computers so I knew this job would be a good fit for me. I sent in my resume online, got a call from a recruiter, and made an appointment to see her. All went well with the meeting and a few days later she set up an interview with the insurance company.

I had that interview earlier this week and my recruiter and another recruiter actually went with me and gave me copies of my resume in one of their folders. They introduced me to the hiring manager of the insurance company, then they left me to interview with her. The interview seemed to go really well.

All-in-all, this recruiter has appeared to be a lot more proactive than other ones I have worked with in the past and she even followed up two days ago to let me know that there would be some news on Friday (today).

Well, I haven't heard back yet about whether or not I got the job. I guess I'll go ahead and e-mail her on Monday and follow-up, but I have a bad feeling already. I'm happy that my meeting with the recruiter got me an actual interview with their client, so at least I got that far, but even with that said, I have a feeling I didn't get the job or she would have called today like she said she would.

I was wondering if I could get some perspective on this from you all. Have you ever met with a recuriter who got you an interview with their client, appeared to be proactive about helping you, and then in the end, you still never got the job, and do you think this might be the case with me if I don't hear back from them Monday?

I appreicate your advice. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

34 months ago

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland said: Its a business model. Temp agencies are in business to make money, just like the company you are/were temping at is in business to make money. Of course there is a contract fee to buy out your contract. If the office likes you, but doesn't love you- thinks you're good, but not great- they're not going to buy your contract out from the temp agency. Several years ago (mid 2000's) I was at Ajilon (temp agency) in NJ, and was on three different temp-to-perm assignments. It was only on the third assignment that my contract was bought out. All agencies have contract buyouts. Its part of the business.

BTW, what kind of a fee do you think headhunters/recruiters charge for bringing you in? At least 15%...often, significantly more.

No it is not part of the business. Some agencies do not charge a fee or after say 3 months release the client to the employer. If the employer wants to hire them full time.

Temp agencies make a nice chunk of change off their clients just on the hourly wage. For example if the temp is getting $10 an hour the agency is charging $18.

And I hate to break it to you but in this economy companies are not going to pay 8K to hire a 40K a year employee when they can hire direct.

It has nothing to do with the temp and how good they are, if there is a large fee involved they won't get hired full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: Well to be honest with you it is extremely odd that two recruiters went with you to the interview like parents taking a child to the first day of school.

You go on your own with your copies of your resume in hand.

Did you not have copies of your resume with you and they had to hand you one? You always bring copies(plural) with you on an interview.

Follow up on Monday and see what happens, but it is not too professional to tell someone I will let you know on Friday and hear nothing and make you wait.

Even if a decision hasn't been made, they should still let you know some type of status.

Here's what happened: The recruiter wanted me to show up first to the staffing agency, and that I would follow her over there in my car. I thought the same thing you were thinking with regards to that. I didn't understand why I needed to follow her over there when I could have just went to the insurance company myself. But I went along with it.

Then she told me I didn't have to bring copies of my resume because they would do that for me. So I showed up on time to the staffing agency and met with her, then she gave me copies of my resume (with the staffing agency's name on top of them. she took my resume I gave them off my computer and stuck their logo on top). Then some other guy comes out with her who I guess was also a recruiter, and we all left the agency. I got into my car, and the other two recruiters got into another car. I followed them down to the health insurance company. From there, we went upstairs and when we got to the floor where the insurance company was, the guy recruiter called them to let them know we were there. Then, the manager comes out and the two recruiters introduce me to her and that's pretty much it. They tell me to let them know how the interview went, then said their goodbyes to me and I interviewed with the HR manager at the health insurance company (cont'd)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

and then after the interview, which I felt went well, I went home. On Wednesday, my main recruiter called me and told me that she would have news for me on Friday, and I waited by my phone all day Friday and did not get a response.

I will definitely follow-up Monday and see what happens.

I usually bring resumes with me on interviews, but because the staffing agency told me I didn't have to because they were going to make copies for me, I didn't bring any. I probably should have anyway.

Thank you so much for your advice. It was very helpful. I will post an update to this thread on Monday after I contact the agency.

34 months ago

Can someone tell me why even short term temp jobs now require a full interview (with the client company), background check AND Credit Check (also done by the client company)?? I was terminated from a temp job at 4:00pm the second day because my background check came back and I didn't pass the credit check --- the amount of past due debt was higher than the limit allowed.. What was worse is that the company didn't allow for any explanation nor provide me with a preadverse notification allowing me to explain and dispute the results.
I got a call for another 3 month temp job (covering for someone on maternity leave). I interviewed with the onsite recruiter who told me that he was conducting first round phone interviews then 'passing' along the information to the hiring manager who will do in person interviews --- all for a three month temp job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan Cutting in Edmonton, Alberta

34 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I also got that 5:00 call. LOL

5:00 PM call? You're lucky. I was working for a temp agency on one of those "temp to hire" jobs for nearly a year, when one morning, fifteen minutes before my shift started, the agency called and told me my assignment was "completed." I was driving at the time (to work, go figure), and didn't get the message until I was halfway from my car to the employee entrance.

The same agency also gave me three "raises" that year, but I never saw an increase in my gross earnings... O_o?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Here's an update to my situation.

I e-mailed my recruiter and she told me that the manager of the insurance company is still conducting interviews early this week, but that the feedback regarding my interview with the manager was positive. Then she told me she'd let me know as soon as she gets an update.

I find it a little odd that it's been a week and the insurance company is still conducting interviews for this data entry position I applied for. I'm going to keep looking for other jobs because I may or may not hear back from this staffing agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky said: Here's an update to my situation.

I e-mailed my recruiter and she told me that the manager of the insurance company is still conducting interviews early this week, but that the feedback regarding my interview with the manager was positive. Then she told me she'd let me know as soon as she gets an update.

I find it a little odd that it's been a week and the insurance company is still conducting interviews for this data entry position I applied for. I'm going to keep looking for other jobs because I may or may not hear back from this staffing agency.

The problem is nowadays is they "over interview" for even entry level positions.

I think the reason the agency put their name on your resume(which I don't like)is to remind the company which agency you came from.

This company could be dealing with 3 temp agencies.

As you said keep looking, because this could go on for awhile and they could be interviewing 25 people. That seems to be the norm these days.

And I would still carry my copies of my resume on me(don't listen to the agency)to hand out.

They don't own you. It is really too much that they had to go with you, you're an adult.

I had a similar experience once although I went to the interview by myself...LOL.

It was for a position I was over qualfied for so I toned down my resume(OT had emailed them my original resume), the interview I thought went well....two weeks later still nothing..OT kept telling me they would let me know...finally I just called the company direct(you're not really supposed to do that).

The woman was shocked to hear from me, but yes they filled the position. I was annoyed as the agency never told me.

But I wanted an answer, it was a 15 mile drive, I had to pay for parking, so I wanted closure.

This was an assignment for about 3 months while someone was on maternity leave.

Very frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Can someone tell me why even short term temp jobs now require a full interview (with the client company), background check AND Credit Check (also done by the client company)?? I was terminated from a temp job at 4:00pm the second day because my background check came back and I didn't pass the credit check --- the amount of past due debt was higher than the limit allowed.. What was worse is that the company didn't allow for any explanation nor provide me with a preadverse notification allowing me to explain and dispute the results.
I got a call for another 3 month temp job (covering for someone on maternity leave). I interviewed with the onsite recruiter who told me that he was conducting first round phone interviews then 'passing' along the information to the hiring manager who will do in person interviews --- all for a three month temp job

I really don't have an answer Nick. It used to be you went to a temp agency, you interviewed, took some tests, and they called you and said show up at Company A next Monday at 8:30am.

Now it is like they're recruiting for a CEO position for an $11 an hour temp job.

I had to interview on site 3 times at the various client's locations. Twice I got the job, one time I didn't.

I don't get it, because you're a temp, if you don't work out they can replace you.

I had a position about 15 yrs ago where I supervised people, if I needed a temp I called one agency. They would send someone out, if they didn't work out I told the agency and they replaced them.

Very simple.

Everything seems to more complicated then it needs to be these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: The problem is nowadays is they "over interview" for even entry level positions.

I think the reason the agency put their name on your resume(which I don't like)is to remind the company which agency you came from.

This company could be dealing with 3 temp agencies.

As you said keep looking, because this could go on for awhile and they could be interviewing 25 people. That seems to be the norm these days.

And I would still carry my copies of my resume on me(don't listen to the agency)to hand out.

They don't own you. It is really too much that they had to go with you, you're an adult.

I had a similar experience once although I went to the interview by myself...LOL.

It was for a position I was over qualfied for so I toned down my resume(OT had emailed them my original resume), the interview I thought went well....two weeks later still nothing..OT kept telling me they would let me know...finally I just called the company direct(you're not really supposed to do that).

The woman was shocked to hear from me, but yes they filled the position. I was annoyed as the agency never told me.

But I wanted an answer, it was a 15 mile drive, I had to pay for parking, so I wanted closure.

This was an assignment for about 3 months while someone was on maternity leave.

Very frustrating.

You know, I think I just now realized why I followed the recruiters in my car down to their client. The insurance company has many different divisions and this wasn't the main insurance office - it was the dept. of veteran's affairs division. The door did not have a knob on it, and I think you had to have a code or something to put in in order to get in and get out of the place.

Still though, you'd think that rather than having me follow them down there that they could have given me the address to the place, given me their phone number, and then I could have called them myself when I got there to let them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

know that I was there so that someone could have let me in for the interview.

It was weird, and I agree with you, I don't know why they did that. I am an adult and I am perfectly capable of going to a staffing agency's client by myself. You are right.

I don't have the phone number for the insurance company so I can't really call them personally and ask them if I got the job. The only person I can contact is the recruiter of the staffing agency.

I think you did the right thing by calling the client in your situation - if I drove 15 miles and had to pay to park, I would have done the exact same thing. Closure is something all candidates should have. I think we as candidates should get a call regardless of whether we got the job or not. To have someone say they're going to let me know when they have an update and never update you is just not professional in my opinion.

I did have to drive about 7-8 miles to the place I went to and it was downtown so I had to pay to park. I just used a meter because I was only there half an hour. Considering the job only paid $11.00 an hour and the staffing agency would only pay for part of my parking expenses if I got the job, it's probably not worth it anyway. By the time you pay parking fees and gas, I probably wouldn't have much money left over anyway. But the thing is, I need a job and if I had gotten the job, I would have taken it regardless. $11 an hour is better than working in a low-wage job you can't support yourself on.

Thank you for your insights, Sean. You've been very helpful. I doubt I'll hear from this place again but if I do, I'll let you know. I've already been applying for other jobs so I'm already moving on.

And next time I will definitely bring copies of my resume (without any staffing agency logos) to hand out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

You're very welcome. So it is Thursday and still no answer from the agency? Very unprofessional since she told Friday she would have an answer.

And your parking should be covered by the company you're temping out. Twice I had to park in garages and after getting the assignment they(the company not the temp agency) took care of the parking.

A temp shouldn't be paying to park at an assignment.

Yes, just keep looking. Maybe after the long weekend call the agency and just ask point blank did that position get filled.

It is basic common courtesy to just tell people either way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: You're very welcome. So it is Thursday and still no answer from the agency? Very unprofessional since she told Friday she would have an answer.

And your parking should be covered by the company you're temping out. Twice I had to park in garages and after getting the assignment they(the company not the temp agency) took care of the parking.

Yes, just keep looking. Maybe after the long weekend call the agency and just ask point blank did that position get filled.

I have another bad 'temp experience'. I took an assignment that was supposedly open and indefinite until the manager hired someone perm (according to the agency). The agency told me that they hadn't interviewed anyone and when I asked if the assignment would last longer than a month the recruiters word 'oh of course'. Turns out the company just needed someone to document & run reports for them and tomorrow is the last day. The manager even said on the first day - you will just be here a "few days". Today (the 4th day) would have been the last day but the manager then said she would 'ask her manager' if there was someone I could do tomorrow but it would be the last day unless she had 'trouble' with the documentation & reports I worked on

Is this not deceptive to say the least?? This assignment is thru a well known national agency

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan

34 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: It is basic common courtesy to just tell people either way.

Basic common courtesy is far from common in today's business world, especially when temps or the unemployed are involved.

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: ... when I asked if the assignment would last longer than a month the recruiters word 'oh of course'. Turns out the company just needed someone to document & run reports for them and tomorrow is the last day.

Yeah, my latest temp assignment was through a well-known, international agency, too. When they told me about the assignment in January, they said that it was "temp to hire," and that they were "certain" that I would be hired in after three months. I was there for six months when I was called into the manager's office and told that my assignment would end in a week, because the "project" I was brought in for was almost finished.

I told her what the temp agency told me about the temp to hire thing, and the manager said she wasn't aware of that. When I confronted my temp agency about it, they claimed that they never told me it was temp to hire, and that they knew it was supposed to be a truly temporary assignment. I have e-mail and telephone evidence to prove they DID tell me it was temp to hire. So, they outright lied to get me to take the assignment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: You're very welcome. So it is Thursday and still no answer from the agency? Very unprofessional since she told Friday she would have an answer.

Looks like I do have a new update after all. I got a call yesterday from the recruiter.

She told me I was a frontrunner for the position at the insurance company and that a final decision would be made sometime next week. Then she said she wanted to get me hired on as soon as possible. I'm really tired of the waiting and now that it's a holiday weekend, that gives everyone in both parties an excuse to make me wait longer.

I'm not getting my hopes up and I'm still applying for other jobs. I'm surprised I got another call. I wasn't expecting that at all.

If I have any other news, I'll let you all know next week.

34 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: I have another bad 'temp experience'. I took an assignment that was supposedly open and indefinite until the manager hired someone perm (according to the agency). The agency told me that they hadn't interviewed anyone and when I asked if the assignment would last longer than a month the recruiters word 'oh of course'. Turns out the company just needed someone to document & run reports for them and tomorrow is the last day. The manager even said on the first day - you will just be here a "few days". Today (the 4th day) would have been the last day but the manager then said she would 'ask her manager' if there was someone I could do tomorrow but it would be the last day unless she had 'trouble' with the documentation & reports I worked on

Is this not deceptive to say the least?? This assignment is thru a well known national agency

Nick- I would have called the agency right after the manager said it is only a "few days" and ask them for clarification. You do it nicely but let them know the facts "Excuse me but the manager here told me he requested a temp for only a few days, I didn't ask him, he told me this, so could you please tell me how long this assignment lasts because you told me a month and there seems to be some confusion?".

You're putting it back on them.

You can't trust them to be honest.

My rule of thumb was once I was in a compnay for a couple of weeks I would ask the person I was reporting to if the assignment was going to be extended, after all they were ones making that decision not the temp agency.

I would also ask about temp to perm and find out if that was true.

I learned to go around the agency if I wanted the truth. The company your reporting to will tell you the truth. If it is a 5 day assignment, they will tell you that.

Your time and energy is just as valuable as theirs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Basic common courtesy is far from common in today's business world, especially when temps or the unemployed are involved.

Yeah, my latest temp assignment was through a well-known, international agency, too. When they told me about the assignment in January, they said that it was "temp to hire," and that they were "certain" that I would be hired in after three months. I was there for six months when I was called into the manager's office and told that my assignment would end in a week, because the "project" I was brought in for was almost finished.

I told her what the temp agency told me about the temp to hire thing, and the manager said she wasn't aware of that. When I confronted my temp agency about it, they claimed that they never told me it was temp to hire, and that they knew it was supposed to be a truly temporary assignment. I have e-mail and telephone evidence to prove they DID tell me it was temp to hire. So, they outright lied to get me to take the assignment.

But see you should have asked. I did a temp job for 9 months, it started off as two weeks and kept getting extended.

But I always asked the on site supervisor(not Office Team) will I be extended, and they would extend it out a month.

When it came to the end of the month I would ask again, and I would tell OT it got extended.

You have to speak up, you should have had some idea that work you were doing was project oriented.

If you had asked on site, they would have told you there was no permanent job and you would be let go when the project was done.

I have no doubt they lied to you, but you have to be in control of your assignment by asking questions.

Once you have been temping at the same job for a few weeks, start dealing directly with your on site manager in regards to how long or if the job might go permanent, and don't rely on the temp agency for anything other than getting paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky said: Looks like I do have a new update after all. I got a call yesterday from the recruiter.

She told me I was a frontrunner for the position at the insurance company and that a final decision would be made sometime next week. Then she said she wanted to get me hired on as soon as possible. I'm really tired of the waiting and now that it's a holiday weekend, that gives everyone in both parties an excuse to make me wait longer.

I'm not getting my hopes up and I'm still applying for other jobs. I'm surprised I got another call. I wasn't expecting that at all.

If I have any other news, I'll let you all know next week.

Well that is good that she called. At least she got back to you.

Yes keep looking that is smart.

If they do offer it you I would ask about the parking again. If I had to pay for parking it would have been $8 a day/so $40 a week.

The company gave me stickers which validated the parking.

The parking should be covered.

Good luck, have a great 4th and let us know what happens!

34 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: But see you should have asked. I did a temp job for 9 months, it started off as two weeks and kept getting extended.

But I always asked the on site supervisor(not Office Team) will I be extended, and they would extend it out a month.

When it came to the end of the month I would ask again, and I would tell OT it got extended.

You have to speak up, you should have had some idea that work you were doing was project oriented.

If you had asked on site, they would have told you there was no permanent job and you would be let go when the project was done.

I have no doubt they lied to you, but you have to be in control of your assignment by asking questions.

Once you have been temping at the same job for a few weeks, start dealing directly with your on site manager in regards to how long or if the job might go permanent, and don't rely on the temp agency for anything other than getting paid.

You assumptions are false. I DID ask a few weeks in, but my on-site supervisor (and her supervisor) wouldn't tell me how much work there was to do, if I was on a project, or if the job was expected to last indefinitely. Every time I asked a question, I was referred back to the temp agency.

On a separate note, two temp agencies have stolen money from my pay cheques. When used as references for "real" jobs, they claim I was given raises that I never actually saw in my pay. I've tried to confront them on that, too, but I never get answers from anyone.

In short, temp agencies == BAD NEWS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: You assumptions are false. I DID ask a few weeks in, but my on-site supervisor (and her supervisor) wouldn't tell me how much work there was to do, if I was on a project, or if the job was expected to last indefinitely. Every time I asked a question, I was referred back to the temp agency.

On a separate note, two temp agencies have stolen money from my pay cheques. When used as references for "real" jobs, they claim I was given raises that I never actually saw in my pay. I've tried to confront them on that, too, but I never get answers from anyone.

In short, temp agencies == BAD NEWS.

But you see by not getting a direct answer, they were giving you an answer. If they can't tell you an end date then I would always figure it could end at any time.

If they play "dumb" and can even give you an estimate of how long then it could end at any time.

If they're referring you back to the temp agency then there never was a temp to perm situation.

I agree they're less than honest.

I started a temp assignment at the same time as this other guy from the same agency.

About 3 months into it he comes to me all shaken up and says "today is my last day". I asked "don't you ask for a status, I ask all the time and get an update from the on site manager".

I needed to know. He never did that, if he had he would have had a heads up for at least a week, and maybe see if there was something in another dept that he could go to.

He didn't do that.

Now in your situation, if no one will give you a straight answer and they refer you back to the agency, there isn't much you can do.

But you need to be prepared for it to end at any time if no one shares information.

That is a big red flag if you can't get an answer that the job could stop at any time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: Well that is good that she called. At least she got back to you.

Yes keep looking that is smart.

If they do offer it you I would ask about the parking again. If I had to pay for parking it would have been $8 a day/so $40 a week.

The company gave me stickers which validated the parking.

The parking should be covered.

Good luck, have a great 4th and let us know what happens!

Hi again Sean and everyone,

I had a pretty good fourth of July. Thanks for the well-wishes.

I didn't receive any calls/updates this week from the staffing agency about the data entry job. I haven't had much luck finding other jobs this week but I'm still looking.

I think it's safe to say that if I don't hear something by Monday (week four), that I most likely won't. I've already waited three weeks. If the insurance company was going to make a decision, they would have done so by now and had the staffing agency notify me of their decision by now. I don't feel like a front-runner anymore. I feel more like someone who has been strung along and delayed for three weeks.

I'll let you all know if I hear anything next week, but I don't really think I will.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Col in Lynn, Massachusetts

33 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: Temp agencies will send you on an assignment and not tell you exactly when it will end. They will simply call you on the phone at home, after 5 p.m., and tell you not to go back the next day. This is now standard procedure at most temp agencies.

The agency clients don't want you to know when your assignment will end.

Temp agencies call every assignment "temp to perm". The real truth is, most of these are simply temp. No chance of getting hired permanent. The temp agency will always blame you (the temp) as to why it did not work out. Even if you are an above-average worker and do everything right, they will still make vague comments about how you "weren't a right fit" - knowing full well that the client had never planned to hire you permanently to begin with. But they would rather put the monkey on YOUR back.

You are better off working at Starbucks or waiting tables. Temping is a big con game.

Temp agencies also consistently post phony job ads to lure in prospective candidates. You go in, they make you spend an entire day taking all kinds of tests, and then you may never hear back from them again. If you inquire about the job ad they posted, they don't know what you are talking about.

So what? When I graduated college that's exactly what happened. I'd get an assignment for 1 day or 3 weeks and would get bad karma if I complained about it. The recruiter would say 'what's wrong its in your field etc.'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Col in Lynn, Massachusetts

33 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: I really don't have an answer Nick. It used to be you went to a temp agency, you interviewed, took some tests, and they called you and said show up at Company A next Monday at 8:30am.

Now it is like they're recruiting for a CEO position for an $11 an hour temp job.

I had to interview on site 3 times at the various client's locations. Twice I got the job, one time I didn't.

I don't get it, because you're a temp, if you don't work out they can replace you.

I had a position about 15 yrs ago where I supervised people, if I needed a temp I called one agency. They would send someone out, if they didn't work out I told the agency and they replaced them.

Very simple.

Everything seems to more complicated then it needs to be these days.

I've had similar experiences and I'll run on fumes until the right job comes up. I haven't sent a resume in 3 months and I'm helping family members for now. If they want to play games then I'll play games too and get experience at the same time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I'm running on fumes too. That was good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Just to update -- two weeks ago I received an assignment that was 'open & indefinite' thru a well known agency. Turns out the supervisor just needed someone to create a few reports in Excel & Access (since apparently she knew neither one even though she was the 'controller'). The assignment ended at the end of the week since she had nothing else. The agency told me they got good feedback that my performance was excellent. Of course there was no additional assignment and all this temping is making me unemployable because it shows that I am unstable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Nick, when asked about your recent work history, simply say you are doing temp work with X agency. There is nothing wrong with temping.

33 months ago

Mary is right, you just list the name of the agency you have been working for. Even if they have only sent you out on a couple of assignments put their name down to cover the gap.

It shows you are flexible and have sent out on various assignments, kept your skills fresh, and maybe learned some new software.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Okay, gang. The call from the staffing agency came today instead of Friday.

This time they told me that the health insurance company was still interviewing people but that they would wrap up by mid-week and a decision would be made by then. So more waiting.

I again thanked them and told them to let me know when the health insurance company makes a decision.

For now, I'll spend the better part of this week scouring the job boards for other positions. I didn't find anything last week, but this is a new week.

I'll post some more information when I get it. Have a good week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky said: Okay, gang. The call from the staffing agency came today instead of Friday.

This time they told me that the health insurance company was still interviewing people but that they would wrap up by mid-week and a decision would be made by then. So more waiting.

I again thanked them and told them to let me know when the health insurance company makes a decision.

For now, I'll spend the better part of this week scouring the job boards for other positions. I didn't find anything last week, but this is a new week.

I'll post some more information when I get it. Have a good week.

Well at least they called you and you handled it well.

But that is really ridiculous because this is going on 30 days now for a data entry/customer service position.

I mean how many people are they going to interview? It used to be 4 or 5 candidates were brought in for a full time job.

And a decision was made within 2 weeks for a permanent position.

Now they seem to interview 25 people for a temp job.

I don't get that.

You wonder how badly do they need someone if they can drag this out for so long, because data entry is usually something they have to stay on top of.

JBVO, are registered with other agencies? You might want to sign up with two or three.

Keep us posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I started a temp job last week with a non profit company here in Boston. The job was supposed to be accounting. In reality all I am doing is filing and working for someone in charge of Accounts Payable.

I have not gotten my first paycheck from the temp agency but I have a feeling it is NOT going to be at the rate they told me (verbally). I verified it with the temp agency rep several times but like I said it was only done verbally.

And regarding the things already discussed, they are 100% true of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Hi guys,

I thought I'd also bring everyone up to speed on what has been going on with me. I got offered the job two weeks ago and I filled out all the paperwork and signed a lot of things, including a contract, but I decided in the end not to take the job.

First off, they were only going to pay me $.40 an hour for parking which would be $3.20 a day for parking downtown. It costs way more than that to park downtown, though, so they were not going to cover all of my parking, only part of it.

I would be responsible for submitting my own hours, but there were things about that that were a little dicey, especially when it said that the company would not permit off the clock work - does that mean we might not get our 15-minute breaks paid for? Who knows? That part of the contract was worded very carefully.

After I get laid off, I would not be able to apply to the health insurance company for a job through them for six months.

The limitation of liability statement. (not that it would pertain much to me since the job was an office position) I have to waive all of my rights.

And there were a slew of other things I just didn't feel comfortable with. I also realized that by the staffing agency not paying for all of my parking, with gas prices included, I'd really only be making $9.00 an hour (not $11.00 an hour) and that along with the rather dicey contract sealed the deal for me that this job would not have been the best fit for me.

I really need a full-time job with benefits that pays a living wage so that I can support myself, and I've decided that the degree I have just isn't enough. I'm going to work on a billing and coding certificate soon and see where I can go with that, and I'll continue to look for other opportunities on the job boards.

Thank you to Sean and everyone here for your comments and advice. It has been very, very helpful. Have a good weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I think you made the right decision. The parking would have been the deal breaker for me.

I have never heard of the parking not being covered. I always had the parking covered by the company you're temping at.

That is almost 20% of your pay going to parking. That would be crazy.

I also wouldn't have signed a contract with that 6 months clause, I wonder if that is even legal.

You made the right choice.

33 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: I started a temp job last week with a non profit company here in Boston. The job was supposed to be accounting. In reality all I am doing is filing and working for someone in charge of Accounts Payable.

I have not gotten my first paycheck from the temp agency but I have a feeling it is NOT going to be at the rate they told me (verbally). I verified it with the temp agency rep several times but like I said it was only done verbally.

And regarding the things already discussed, they are 100% true of course.

That is a problem with them Nick, Office Team did that to me.

I was told $18 an hour(which is high for them) and when I got my check it was $16 an hour. I was annoyed and when I brought it up the rep told me I must have heard wrong.

No, she lied. At the time I needed the work so I was stuck. But I resented being lied to about what I know I heard.

If she had just said "oh I made a mistake", but she made it out be that I misunderstood.

Going forward see if they will send you an email stating what the salary is, although I don't know if they will put anything in writing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

The problem with turning down assignments is that the company is much less likely to offer you another one later. I know this from experience. I'll get an offer, but when I tell them that it wouldn't be a "good fit" for me, I never hear from them again. If I call them to check in, they tell me "We don't have anything right now."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: The problem with turning down assignments is that the company is much less likely to offer you another one later. I know this from experience. I'll get an offer, but when I tell them that it wouldn't be a "good fit" for me, I never hear from them again. If I call them to check in, they tell me "We don't have anything right now."

In this particular case, I'm going to agree with Sean here. I know I did the right thing. Paying me only $.40 an hour for parking when parking costs a lot more than $3.20 a day downtown where I live is not too good. If my entire parking fee had been covered that would be one thing, but it wasn't going to be.

And there were other things about the contract I signed as I said before that just didn't *feel* right to me. Not to mention that if for some reason I were to find a better job, it might be hard to get out of the contract later on. That wouldn't be a good thing. And then the fact that I would not be able to apply with the insurance company for 6 months after the assignment ends didn't make me feel to comfortable either. Why should I have to wait six months? If I had actually liked the job at the insurance company and wanted to work full-time with them after my assignment ended through the staffing agency I should be able to apply directly to the insurance company if I want to. Not wait 6 months.

I would also have been working a nine hour day, and the off-the-clock time that was mentioned in the contract wasn't spelled out very clearly. I don't think I was going to get paid for my two 15-minute breaks.

The contract was worded very, very carefully and while I did sign it, I took a look at it again when I got home and took a few days to seriously look it over, and I just realized that the position wasn't going to be worth it in the end.

I need a permanent job anyway - you can't live on temp work, especially low-wage temp work. I need a steady income.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I know I made the right decision here. I agree with what you're saying too, Jon, but on the same token, it isn't a good idea to go with a temp agency if their contract has anything in it that might sound fishy. You don't want to sign your life away on anything until you've read everything over in a contract really really good. If I hadn't read over the contract I signed again, I likely would have jumped into something that I might not have been happy with down the road.

Never do something you're not comfortable with - that's something I've always learned.

Too many temp agencies have tried to take advantage of me the last couple of years, anyway, and I don't have time for that.

33 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: The problem with turning down assignments is that the company is much less likely to offer you another one later. I know this from experience. I'll get an offer, but when I tell them that it wouldn't be a "good fit" for me, I never hear from them again. If I call them to check in, they tell me "We don't have anything right now."

Well that is OK. The idea is to find work not be an indentured servant. Signing a contract saying that you can't apply for any jobs at a company for 6 months is ridiculous.

So if you temp there for 2 weeks and 2 months later you see a job online you're banned from applying? I don't think so...LOL.

And the parking thing is pitiful. I had to park my car twice at two different long term assignments. The parking garage was $10 a day, that would have been $50 a week.

One job paid $16 and one only paid $11 an hour. So you're talking spending a 1/2 day's pay to park your car.....no way.

Parking should be covered completely.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.