How Temp Agencies Operate - avoid. Work at Starbucks instead. Seriously.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 104)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Nothing is more disappointing than preparing for that appoint-ment, getting all dressed up, spending 1 1/2 hours on spellintg, math, typing, and whatever tests, meeting with a recruiter with hopes of getting a great job to last for years - only to be let down.

I got a temp-to-perm job last year. I had a real interview with the attorney. The job lasted three days. He barely spoke above a whisper.

The secretary (long term) next to me barely spoke to me, very unwelcoming. That says a lot right there. I spent those three days doing filing and pleading indexing that hadn't been done in months. I took a shortcut in the pleading indexing, for all those subpoenaes and copy requests, put them in one number (which was a no-no) and I had to separate them.

Signs of temp only: Your neighbor doesn't acknowledge you. You don't get a log-in on the computer. No on speaks to you, including the receptionist when you first come in. The person you work for barely speaks above a whisper.

Did you consider that she was a quiet person? Did you consider that you weren't right for the job? Did you consider that maybe she was having a bad week? I hope there aren't too many people reading these forums who are impressionable enough to walk away from work pre-emptively because they think that someone not chatting them up is a sign of imminent termination.

Btw, when an IT department creates a new log-in for a computer, there is a lot that goes with it- for instance, a new log-in makes a new user, and so for any software that you'd use on that terminal (MS Office, etc), it consumes one of their user licenses. Licenses cost money. If they don't have a temp log-in set up, why set one up for you? You're on a temp assignment- could walk out as easily as they could ask you to leave- potentially waste the cost of licenses for whatever software...

Be realistic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (99) Reply - Report abuse

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: It is good that it worked out for you. Unfortunately many times it isn't the case. And yes it does create an adversarial relationship because you are 'only a temp'. And I have had a few temp jobs where there has been literally nothing to do. The regular staff complained about having to work until midnight but I practically had to beg & plead my manager for something to do.

If you had a job as a direct employee, and they brought in a temp for some data entry or to cover for someone who was out, or on a temp-to-perm situation, would you think of them as "only a temp" and treat them differently than your other co-workers? I can't believe you would, so I can't believe the typical employee looks at differently, or treats differently, someone who is there on a short-term or undetermined length of time.

If that's the treatment you're getting, maybe you're coming across to people differently than you think you are?

Not sure what the scenario is, but, I've never had that experience, and I've worked in 6 or 7 different offices in the last 12 years, some as temp, some as permanent employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (62) Reply - Report abuse

cyberaim123 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

51 months ago

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland said: If you had a job as a direct employee, and they brought in a temp for some data entry or to cover for someone who was out, or on a temp-to-perm situation, would you think of them as "only a temp" and treat them differently than your other co-workers? I can't believe you would, so I can't believe the typical employee looks at differently, or treats differently, someone who is there on a short-term or undetermined length of time.

If that's the treatment you're getting, maybe you're coming across to people differently than you think you are?

Not sure what the scenario is, but, I've never had that experience, and I've worked in 6 or 7 different offices in the last 12 years, some as temp, some as permanent employee.

Unfortunately, there are some who actually treat those who are temping as "unfriendly". Often, it is only because you are a temp, and although they are probably not aware they are doing it, to them the temp person is "just a temp person" and come off as being impolite even if they don't mean to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky

50 months ago

I went with a local staffing company that appeared to be a lot better than other staffing agencies I tried in the past. They were recruiting for a data entry/patient verification position at a health insurance company. I have years of data entry experience and I'm very good with computers so I knew this job would be a good fit for me. I sent in my resume online, got a call from a recruiter, and made an appointment to see her. All went well with the meeting and a few days later she set up an interview with the insurance company.

I had that interview earlier this week and my recruiter and another recruiter actually went with me and gave me copies of my resume in one of their folders. They introduced me to the hiring manager of the insurance company, then they left me to interview with her. The interview seemed to go really well.

All-in-all, this recruiter has appeared to be a lot more proactive than other ones I have worked with in the past and she even followed up two days ago to let me know that there would be some news on Friday (today).

Well, I haven't heard back yet about whether or not I got the job. I guess I'll go ahead and e-mail her on Monday and follow-up, but I have a bad feeling already. I'm happy that my meeting with the recruiter got me an actual interview with their client, so at least I got that far, but even with that said, I have a feeling I didn't get the job or she would have called today like she said she would.

I was wondering if I could get some perspective on this from you all. Have you ever met with a recuriter who got you an interview with their client, appeared to be proactive about helping you, and then in the end, you still never got the job, and do you think this might be the case with me if I don't hear back from them Monday?

I appreicate your advice. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan Cutting in Edmonton, Alberta

50 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I also got that 5:00 call. LOL

5:00 PM call? You're lucky. I was working for a temp agency on one of those "temp to hire" jobs for nearly a year, when one morning, fifteen minutes before my shift started, the agency called and told me my assignment was "completed." I was driving at the time (to work, go figure), and didn't get the message until I was halfway from my car to the employee entrance.

The same agency also gave me three "raises" that year, but I never saw an increase in my gross earnings... O_o?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Here's an update to my situation.

I e-mailed my recruiter and she told me that the manager of the insurance company is still conducting interviews early this week, but that the feedback regarding my interview with the manager was positive. Then she told me she'd let me know as soon as she gets an update.

I find it a little odd that it's been a week and the insurance company is still conducting interviews for this data entry position I applied for. I'm going to keep looking for other jobs because I may or may not hear back from this staffing agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

50 months ago

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky said: Here's an update to my situation.

I e-mailed my recruiter and she told me that the manager of the insurance company is still conducting interviews early this week, but that the feedback regarding my interview with the manager was positive. Then she told me she'd let me know as soon as she gets an update.

I find it a little odd that it's been a week and the insurance company is still conducting interviews for this data entry position I applied for. I'm going to keep looking for other jobs because I may or may not hear back from this staffing agency.

The problem is nowadays is they "over interview" for even entry level positions.

I think the reason the agency put their name on your resume(which I don't like)is to remind the company which agency you came from.

This company could be dealing with 3 temp agencies.

As you said keep looking, because this could go on for awhile and they could be interviewing 25 people. That seems to be the norm these days.

And I would still carry my copies of my resume on me(don't listen to the agency)to hand out.

They don't own you. It is really too much that they had to go with you, you're an adult.

I had a similar experience once although I went to the interview by myself...LOL.

It was for a position I was over qualfied for so I toned down my resume(OT had emailed them my original resume), the interview I thought went well....two weeks later still nothing..OT kept telling me they would let me know...finally I just called the company direct(you're not really supposed to do that).

The woman was shocked to hear from me, but yes they filled the position. I was annoyed as the agency never told me.

But I wanted an answer, it was a 15 mile drive, I had to pay for parking, so I wanted closure.

This was an assignment for about 3 months while someone was on maternity leave.

Very frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan

50 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: But see you should have asked. I did a temp job for 9 months, it started off as two weeks and kept getting extended.

But I always asked the on site supervisor(not Office Team) will I be extended, and they would extend it out a month.

When it came to the end of the month I would ask again, and I would tell OT it got extended.

You have to speak up, you should have had some idea that work you were doing was project oriented.

If you had asked on site, they would have told you there was no permanent job and you would be let go when the project was done.

I have no doubt they lied to you, but you have to be in control of your assignment by asking questions.

Once you have been temping at the same job for a few weeks, start dealing directly with your on site manager in regards to how long or if the job might go permanent, and don't rely on the temp agency for anything other than getting paid.

You assumptions are false. I DID ask a few weeks in, but my on-site supervisor (and her supervisor) wouldn't tell me how much work there was to do, if I was on a project, or if the job was expected to last indefinitely. Every time I asked a question, I was referred back to the temp agency.

On a separate note, two temp agencies have stolen money from my pay cheques. When used as references for "real" jobs, they claim I was given raises that I never actually saw in my pay. I've tried to confront them on that, too, but I never get answers from anyone.

In short, temp agencies == BAD NEWS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: You assumptions are false. I DID ask a few weeks in, but my on-site supervisor (and her supervisor) wouldn't tell me how much work there was to do, if I was on a project, or if the job was expected to last indefinitely. Every time I asked a question, I was referred back to the temp agency.

On a separate note, two temp agencies have stolen money from my pay cheques. When used as references for "real" jobs, they claim I was given raises that I never actually saw in my pay. I've tried to confront them on that, too, but I never get answers from anyone.

In short, temp agencies == BAD NEWS.

But you see by not getting a direct answer, they were giving you an answer. If they can't tell you an end date then I would always figure it could end at any time.

If they play "dumb" and can even give you an estimate of how long then it could end at any time.

If they're referring you back to the temp agency then there never was a temp to perm situation.

I agree they're less than honest.

I started a temp assignment at the same time as this other guy from the same agency.

About 3 months into it he comes to me all shaken up and says "today is my last day". I asked "don't you ask for a status, I ask all the time and get an update from the on site manager".

I needed to know. He never did that, if he had he would have had a heads up for at least a week, and maybe see if there was something in another dept that he could go to.

He didn't do that.

Now in your situation, if no one will give you a straight answer and they refer you back to the agency, there isn't much you can do.

But you need to be prepared for it to end at any time if no one shares information.

That is a big red flag if you can't get an answer that the job could stop at any time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: Well that is good that she called. At least she got back to you.

Yes keep looking that is smart.

If they do offer it you I would ask about the parking again. If I had to pay for parking it would have been $8 a day/so $40 a week.

The company gave me stickers which validated the parking.

The parking should be covered.

Good luck, have a great 4th and let us know what happens!

Hi again Sean and everyone,

I had a pretty good fourth of July. Thanks for the well-wishes.

I didn't receive any calls/updates this week from the staffing agency about the data entry job. I haven't had much luck finding other jobs this week but I'm still looking.

I think it's safe to say that if I don't hear something by Monday (week four), that I most likely won't. I've already waited three weeks. If the insurance company was going to make a decision, they would have done so by now and had the staffing agency notify me of their decision by now. I don't feel like a front-runner anymore. I feel more like someone who has been strung along and delayed for three weeks.

I'll let you all know if I hear anything next week, but I don't really think I will.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Col in Lynn, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: Temp agencies will send you on an assignment and not tell you exactly when it will end. They will simply call you on the phone at home, after 5 p.m., and tell you not to go back the next day. This is now standard procedure at most temp agencies.

The agency clients don't want you to know when your assignment will end.

Temp agencies call every assignment "temp to perm". The real truth is, most of these are simply temp. No chance of getting hired permanent. The temp agency will always blame you (the temp) as to why it did not work out. Even if you are an above-average worker and do everything right, they will still make vague comments about how you "weren't a right fit" - knowing full well that the client had never planned to hire you permanently to begin with. But they would rather put the monkey on YOUR back.

You are better off working at Starbucks or waiting tables. Temping is a big con game.

Temp agencies also consistently post phony job ads to lure in prospective candidates. You go in, they make you spend an entire day taking all kinds of tests, and then you may never hear back from them again. If you inquire about the job ad they posted, they don't know what you are talking about.

So what? When I graduated college that's exactly what happened. I'd get an assignment for 1 day or 3 weeks and would get bad karma if I complained about it. The recruiter would say 'what's wrong its in your field etc.'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Col in Lynn, Massachusetts

50 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: I really don't have an answer Nick. It used to be you went to a temp agency, you interviewed, took some tests, and they called you and said show up at Company A next Monday at 8:30am.

Now it is like they're recruiting for a CEO position for an $11 an hour temp job.

I had to interview on site 3 times at the various client's locations. Twice I got the job, one time I didn't.

I don't get it, because you're a temp, if you don't work out they can replace you.

I had a position about 15 yrs ago where I supervised people, if I needed a temp I called one agency. They would send someone out, if they didn't work out I told the agency and they replaced them.

Very simple.

Everything seems to more complicated then it needs to be these days.

I've had similar experiences and I'll run on fumes until the right job comes up. I haven't sent a resume in 3 months and I'm helping family members for now. If they want to play games then I'll play games too and get experience at the same time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

I'm running on fumes too. That was good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Just to update -- two weeks ago I received an assignment that was 'open & indefinite' thru a well known agency. Turns out the supervisor just needed someone to create a few reports in Excel & Access (since apparently she knew neither one even though she was the 'controller'). The assignment ended at the end of the week since she had nothing else. The agency told me they got good feedback that my performance was excellent. Of course there was no additional assignment and all this temping is making me unemployable because it shows that I am unstable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

50 months ago

Nick, when asked about your recent work history, simply say you are doing temp work with X agency. There is nothing wrong with temping.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Mary is right, you just list the name of the agency you have been working for. Even if they have only sent you out on a couple of assignments put their name down to cover the gap.

It shows you are flexible and have sent out on various assignments, kept your skills fresh, and maybe learned some new software.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Okay, gang. The call from the staffing agency came today instead of Friday.

This time they told me that the health insurance company was still interviewing people but that they would wrap up by mid-week and a decision would be made by then. So more waiting.

I again thanked them and told them to let me know when the health insurance company makes a decision.

For now, I'll spend the better part of this week scouring the job boards for other positions. I didn't find anything last week, but this is a new week.

I'll post some more information when I get it. Have a good week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky said: Okay, gang. The call from the staffing agency came today instead of Friday.

This time they told me that the health insurance company was still interviewing people but that they would wrap up by mid-week and a decision would be made by then. So more waiting.

I again thanked them and told them to let me know when the health insurance company makes a decision.

For now, I'll spend the better part of this week scouring the job boards for other positions. I didn't find anything last week, but this is a new week.

I'll post some more information when I get it. Have a good week.

Well at least they called you and you handled it well.

But that is really ridiculous because this is going on 30 days now for a data entry/customer service position.

I mean how many people are they going to interview? It used to be 4 or 5 candidates were brought in for a full time job.

And a decision was made within 2 weeks for a permanent position.

Now they seem to interview 25 people for a temp job.

I don't get that.

You wonder how badly do they need someone if they can drag this out for so long, because data entry is usually something they have to stay on top of.

JBVO, are registered with other agencies? You might want to sign up with two or three.

Keep us posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

49 months ago

I started a temp job last week with a non profit company here in Boston. The job was supposed to be accounting. In reality all I am doing is filing and working for someone in charge of Accounts Payable.

I have not gotten my first paycheck from the temp agency but I have a feeling it is NOT going to be at the rate they told me (verbally). I verified it with the temp agency rep several times but like I said it was only done verbally.

And regarding the things already discussed, they are 100% true of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Hi guys,

I thought I'd also bring everyone up to speed on what has been going on with me. I got offered the job two weeks ago and I filled out all the paperwork and signed a lot of things, including a contract, but I decided in the end not to take the job.

First off, they were only going to pay me $.40 an hour for parking which would be $3.20 a day for parking downtown. It costs way more than that to park downtown, though, so they were not going to cover all of my parking, only part of it.

I would be responsible for submitting my own hours, but there were things about that that were a little dicey, especially when it said that the company would not permit off the clock work - does that mean we might not get our 15-minute breaks paid for? Who knows? That part of the contract was worded very carefully.

After I get laid off, I would not be able to apply to the health insurance company for a job through them for six months.

The limitation of liability statement. (not that it would pertain much to me since the job was an office position) I have to waive all of my rights.

And there were a slew of other things I just didn't feel comfortable with. I also realized that by the staffing agency not paying for all of my parking, with gas prices included, I'd really only be making $9.00 an hour (not $11.00 an hour) and that along with the rather dicey contract sealed the deal for me that this job would not have been the best fit for me.

I really need a full-time job with benefits that pays a living wage so that I can support myself, and I've decided that the degree I have just isn't enough. I'm going to work on a billing and coding certificate soon and see where I can go with that, and I'll continue to look for other opportunities on the job boards.

Thank you to Sean and everyone here for your comments and advice. It has been very, very helpful. Have a good weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

I think you made the right decision. The parking would have been the deal breaker for me.

I have never heard of the parking not being covered. I always had the parking covered by the company you're temping at.

That is almost 20% of your pay going to parking. That would be crazy.

I also wouldn't have signed a contract with that 6 months clause, I wonder if that is even legal.

You made the right choice.

49 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: I started a temp job last week with a non profit company here in Boston. The job was supposed to be accounting. In reality all I am doing is filing and working for someone in charge of Accounts Payable.

I have not gotten my first paycheck from the temp agency but I have a feeling it is NOT going to be at the rate they told me (verbally). I verified it with the temp agency rep several times but like I said it was only done verbally.

And regarding the things already discussed, they are 100% true of course.

That is a problem with them Nick, Office Team did that to me.

I was told $18 an hour(which is high for them) and when I got my check it was $16 an hour. I was annoyed and when I brought it up the rep told me I must have heard wrong.

No, she lied. At the time I needed the work so I was stuck. But I resented being lied to about what I know I heard.

If she had just said "oh I made a mistake", but she made it out be that I misunderstood.

Going forward see if they will send you an email stating what the salary is, although I don't know if they will put anything in writing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

The problem with turning down assignments is that the company is much less likely to offer you another one later. I know this from experience. I'll get an offer, but when I tell them that it wouldn't be a "good fit" for me, I never hear from them again. If I call them to check in, they tell me "We don't have anything right now."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: The problem with turning down assignments is that the company is much less likely to offer you another one later. I know this from experience. I'll get an offer, but when I tell them that it wouldn't be a "good fit" for me, I never hear from them again. If I call them to check in, they tell me "We don't have anything right now."

In this particular case, I'm going to agree with Sean here. I know I did the right thing. Paying me only $.40 an hour for parking when parking costs a lot more than $3.20 a day downtown where I live is not too good. If my entire parking fee had been covered that would be one thing, but it wasn't going to be.

And there were other things about the contract I signed as I said before that just didn't *feel* right to me. Not to mention that if for some reason I were to find a better job, it might be hard to get out of the contract later on. That wouldn't be a good thing. And then the fact that I would not be able to apply with the insurance company for 6 months after the assignment ends didn't make me feel to comfortable either. Why should I have to wait six months? If I had actually liked the job at the insurance company and wanted to work full-time with them after my assignment ended through the staffing agency I should be able to apply directly to the insurance company if I want to. Not wait 6 months.

I would also have been working a nine hour day, and the off-the-clock time that was mentioned in the contract wasn't spelled out very clearly. I don't think I was going to get paid for my two 15-minute breaks.

The contract was worded very, very carefully and while I did sign it, I took a look at it again when I got home and took a few days to seriously look it over, and I just realized that the position wasn't going to be worth it in the end.

I need a permanent job anyway - you can't live on temp work, especially low-wage temp work. I need a steady income.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

I know I made the right decision here. I agree with what you're saying too, Jon, but on the same token, it isn't a good idea to go with a temp agency if their contract has anything in it that might sound fishy. You don't want to sign your life away on anything until you've read everything over in a contract really really good. If I hadn't read over the contract I signed again, I likely would have jumped into something that I might not have been happy with down the road.

Never do something you're not comfortable with - that's something I've always learned.

Too many temp agencies have tried to take advantage of me the last couple of years, anyway, and I don't have time for that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: The problem with turning down assignments is that the company is much less likely to offer you another one later. I know this from experience. I'll get an offer, but when I tell them that it wouldn't be a "good fit" for me, I never hear from them again. If I call them to check in, they tell me "We don't have anything right now."

Well that is OK. The idea is to find work not be an indentured servant. Signing a contract saying that you can't apply for any jobs at a company for 6 months is ridiculous.

So if you temp there for 2 weeks and 2 months later you see a job online you're banned from applying? I don't think so...LOL.

And the parking thing is pitiful. I had to park my car twice at two different long term assignments. The parking garage was $10 a day, that would have been $50 a week.

One job paid $16 and one only paid $11 an hour. So you're talking spending a 1/2 day's pay to park your car.....no way.

Parking should be covered completely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky said: I know I made the right decision here. I agree with what you're saying too, Jon, but on the same token, it isn't a good idea to go with a temp agency if their contract has anything in it that might sound fishy. You don't want to sign your life away on anything until you've read everything over in a contract really really good. If I hadn't read over the contract I signed again, I likely would have jumped into something that I might not have been happy with down the road.

Never do something you're not comfortable with - that's something I've always learned.

Too many temp agencies have tried to take advantage of me the last couple of years, anyway, and I don't have time for that.

Always go with your gut feeling. If something is telling you it doesn't seem right than it usually isn't.

Office Team used to charge(IDK if they still do)a company 15% of the yearly salary if they wanted to hire you full time.

The problem with that is they're not going to hire someone for a 40K a year job and pay 6K to get you when they can hire directly.

The temp agencies are only concerned with filling a position and getting their commission. They're OK to use if it works for YOU, sometimes they can find you something that is close to home and pays OK.

They did get me a couple of long term good assignments.

But when they can't even cover parking and try and block you from applying for 6 months at any company they place you out, I wouldn't deal with them.

Those aren't people you want to deal with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: Well that is OK. The idea is to find work not be an indentured servant.

Extended unemployment can be a great motivator to take anything that comes your way, even if it is the worst fit ever. Even a job that makes you absolutely miserable is better than unemployment.

But that doesn't change the agency's opinion. It doesn't matter if you are suited to an offer or not. If you turn down an offer, they will assume you aren't interested in work. Even if you tell them you're still looking, they'll throw your résumé into the blacklisted pile. That's been my experience with three major agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Extended unemployment can be a great motivator to take anything that comes your way, even if it is the worst fit ever. Even a job that makes you absolutely miserable is better than unemployment.

But that doesn't change the agency's opinion. It doesn't matter if you are suited to an offer or not. If you turn down an offer, they will assume you aren't interested in work. Even if you tell them you're still looking, they'll throw your résumé into the blacklisted pile. That's been my experience with three major agencies.

I agree, they don't like it if you turn down an assignment. But you work around that by letting your cell phone go to voice mail.

If they called and I didn't want what they were offering, I waited and called back after hours. By then they have placed someone.

They're not just calling you, if they don't get you live they go on down the list.

I worked when I wanted to, and if I wanted to dodge them I just screened calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: I worked when I wanted to, and if I wanted to dodge them I just screened calls.

I think you're missing my point. I don't know what the temp market is like in Florida, but in Michigan, you will be called at most once by a temp agency for an assignment.If you turn it down or let voice mail get it, they will not call again... ever... for anything.

My point is that with temp agencies, you have one chance. If you turn it down, you can forget ever working with them. I know this from experience.

49 months ago

Jonathan Cutting in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I think you're missing my point. I don't know what the temp market is like in Florida, but in Michigan, you will be called at most once by a temp agency for an assignment.If you turn it down or let voice mail get it, they will not call again... ever... for anything.

My point is that with temp agencies, you have one chance. If you turn it down, you can forget ever working with them. I know this from experience.

Well I only really dealt with Office Team. I accepted the first assignment they sent my way. And the second and the third.

Once I got my foot in the door and they saw I was reliable I was considered for other assignments.

Now later on when I was looking on my own and didn't want to take an assignment I just wouldn't get back to them right away. I would always call back but after I figured they had already filled the position.

My advice would be just take the first assignment whatever it is and let them see you're reliable.

And you also have to call them, and not just wait for them to call you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

JBVO

48 months ago

Well, I'm back again, this time with a new story.

Okay, I am now trying to stay out of temporary agencies and am applying directly to companies and I found this nice humdinger of an ad here for a position in Louisville with this company:

Fast Process Service, LLC is hiring a part time employee (twenty hours per week), which will lead into full time work. Prospect should have good written and verbal communications skills, proficient with office based software. and excellent typing skills. Please send resume or letter of interest ASAP as we will be hiring in the next few days.

This ad was on craigslist and I looked them up and they were for sure a real company that existed. So I sent my resume on Monday and got a call Tuesday to have me meet with them on Friday at 11 a.m.

I was in for yet another shock of my life when the bait & switch tactic once again was used. I walked in and this blonde girl working the counter was talking to some client. I said hello and told them my name and that I had an interview with **** (disclosing the name because you never know who may be reading this). She walks me into a room and hands me an application to fill out like I was applying to work at a retail store or something, then walks out.

So I fill it out and put my education and experience down (which imo was already on my resume - I think filling out that paper was the biggest waste of time ever) and when I flip it over to the back, it asks for references. I left my references at home because I only submit references by request only and they did not tell me to bring that with me whatsoever. All they told me was to show up. I guess I should have asked them what I should bring, so maybe part of that is my fault, but still, three references for a $10 an hour job? Come on.

Anyway, I finish filling it out, walk back out where this girl is still talking to some client, and then she walks me into another room and where she, ****, my interviwer, and some other

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

JBVO

48 months ago

guy all sit down with me and talk about the job.

They tell me it's very customer-oriented and that I wouldn't really be doing just data entry, it was more of a clerical-type job where I would be dealing with clients like lawyers and judges and some other legal type stuff, most of it would be by phone, some would be in person. Fast Process Services handles legal documents, hence why those are the clients I'd be dealing with. Then, they started to use their scare tactics to tell me this job would be very high-stress and that if I accidentally said anything wrong, they could lose all of their clients in West Virginia. They have accounts in several different places and the blonde girl deals with legal documents from West Virginia. So I would have to be a yes sir, no mam to every client I talk to and would have to mind my p's and q's so I don't say something wrong.

Basically, they're looking for a fall guy, or in my case since I am a woman, a fall girl that is willing to take the heat if anything goes wrong, especially if I were to lose one all of their clients in West Virginia just for saying something incorrect or even making a simple error. On top of that, they also wanted an octopus who could do a million things at once and my resume doesn't have a lot of that because most of my work has been in data entry. I have worked retail before so I have answered phones, done customer service, that sort of thing, but really, you call me in to interview for a data entry position and then tell me it's really something else entirely?

It would not surprise me if the majority of people they interviewed this week had the same type of background I did in typing and data entry. They either had no idea what a data entry clerk's job was or they did and used a bait and switch tactic, hoping they'd find a sucker to take this job.

It did pay medical benefits, but for all the stress and hassle of having to talk to clients by phone or in person,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JBVO

48 months ago

while doing clerical work on the side and heaven knows what else, it's hardly worth the trouble.

Oh, and not to mention that while they were looking over my application they brought up the fact that I went to such and such high school which is sadly, mostly known for sports and brought up coaches and stuff...because I should know that, doncha know, and then they asked me why someone like myself with an English degree doesn't have a teaching certification and when I tried to clarify that he was like, 'oh, so you don't have your degree afterall?' Uh, no, idiot, I don't have teaching certification. Absolutely had NOTHING to do with the job I was interviewing for. I told him I was going to get some certificates because I couldn't afford to get another degree right now. I mean, really, who does that?

Then they asked me why I didn't have references to which I told them I could e-mail those to them because I don't have them with me. I didn't get an e-mail address or anything from them so I could send the references to them so obviously that wasn't very important.

Another thing that ticked me off was the fact that they were ordering pizzas for their staff and everything - why would you interview me so close to lunchtime on Friday? I even heard one of them saying a bad word when they were talking about so-and-so not being there and how understaffed they were that day. These two things happened while I was filling out my application.

Anyway, they said they'd get back to me after Labor Day, but I'm not taking the job. I don't think I'm going to get the job anyway and after the interview was over, I couldn't wait to get out of that place. I remained as professional as I could but as soon as I walked out the door, I got into my car and hightailed it out of there.

Bait and switch is so not cool. And now I know that staffing agencies aren't the only ones who use this tactic. Companies you apply directly to use it as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

JBVO

48 months ago

One more thing - the job was actually going to be full-time starting right away, not part-time like they said in the description, and that appears to be the only thing they really got right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

When people act unprofessional all bets are off. :)

I would have asked them if so much responsibility comes with this job(losing all their West Virginia clients by saying or doing the wrong thing) why does it only pay $10 an hour?????

I think I would have said "I hoped you ordered a pepperoni pizza, that's my favorite" and taken a slice.

I figure if they can't conduct an interview with some protocol, it isn't a place you want to work.

If you don't like what people are telling you or you get a weird feeling, there is nothing wrong with getting up and leaving.

You get up and say politely "this is wasn't I thought it was going to be".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JBVO

48 months ago

Hey Sean,

Actually, I heard **** (the guy that interviewed me several minutes after I finished filling out my appplication) ordering the pizzas for everyone (the employees, I guess) several rooms down from me. I was in this one room by myself filling out the application. That's why I didn't ask for a slice. But that really is an awesome answer. *high fives you*

And also while I filled out my application in that room, I overheard them talking about someone not being there or something and I think it was **** that said oh, ****. Very unprofessional.

Somehow, I have a feeling that they already knew who they were going to hire and just did this Friday interview right before lunch so they could say, 'see, we're equal opportunity because we advertised the job and interviewed outsiders.' I knew walking out of there I didn't have it and this is one job I'm not too terribly torn up about getting or not getting. If I do get it, I'm just going to say I got another better offer that pays more money and had a position that more closely matched my skill set and say adios.

The only thing I can say to them is how dare you bait and switch people to come into your office and then give them an entirely different description of a job they didn't even apply for. I knew staffing agencies did this, but this was an actual company I applied to, not a staffing agency. It's sad that even companies do this sort of thing as well. It was a learning experience and there are many lessons I have taken away from this interview today. Your advice was also quite helpful. That's sort-of why I came back here. You always have given me helpful advice.

I have a job interview next week at UPS for a part-time data entry/warehouse job. The pay is even less than what Fast Process was offering and because it's part-time it won't be much money, but I am going to check it out anyway.

JBVO

48 months ago

I just thought of something else **** said which was not too good - if I messed up anything with their clients, especially if it was a judge or lawyer, I could be held legally responsible. I so do not want any criminal record on me, especially if it was because I made a simple mistake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

JBVO said: I just thought of something else **** said which was not too good - if I messed up anything with their clients, especially if it was a judge or lawyer, I could be held legally responsible. I so do not want any criminal record on me, especially if it was because I made a simple mistake.

That sounds like scare tactics.

If it was me...LOL..and you know you don't want the job I would tell them what I thought, just to let off steam.

I would call up and say and I'm not interested and here is why:

"you advertised one position and it turns out to be another, you interview me at lunch time(seriously I would have grabbed a slice), the jobs pays very little but I can be held liable, and your office is very unprofessional...no thanks!".

Sometimes you have to give it back to them. :)

UPS, well good luck! Part time is way to get your foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hallie in Omaha, Nebraska

48 months ago

Hallie again from the staffing agency. Just want to update you..

I guess I didn't realize how the big staffing agencies were and I wanted to defend my craft in my last post, but soon realized it was more defending myself and how I operated. I now come to you with my tail between my legs. I got fired from the agency. I worked for a small locally owned agency (internally) since college (my first job). I believed in what we did and ran my area with sucess for years. The big agency came and bought out the small guy. (mostly to get a large competator out of the market) and ran it in the ground in two month and fired me. They said it was because I violate policy. Whatever that ment. I had no poilcy's excpet working 80 hours a week to get people jobs and make the client happy. SPARTAN STAFFING does not care about their employees, clients, or their integrity and is unethical in it's practices. I have always went the extra mile to make my employees and my clients feel like they matter and when a large agency came in I could no long do that because I had conference call after conference call and flew here and there for their meetings.

Hey I run four staffing offices. I am in the people business, I need to tend to my people not be on your stupid conference call about how to impliment a marketing plan. My marketing plan is selling itself because everyone knows me and how I operate. I don't need a gift basket and flyer to do it! I have integrity.

So now, I am applying for unemployment and thinking of ways to make myself a sucess, as that is essentially what I was doing before with someone else taking care of the back office. I apologize to all of you for your crappy expereinces with agencies. I used to think it was up to the individual who ran the office if their ethics were questionable, however, I am now rethinking that sometimes, especially with the large agencies, it's out of their control.

Good luck on the job hunt everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Floral Park, New York

48 months ago

10 Years in the staffing/agency business. So lets go...

Here are some more reasons to avoid temp agencies:

1) They will sell your information to third parties

= Never = I've never, ever heard of anybody ever doing this.

2) They will call all your references and do sales pitches on them to get more business. This is why they want you to give them as many references as possible. They will call all your past employers and bug them to death.

= We will call your references, and yes we will call and see if we get the business, call them to death? Thats some poor excuse for salesman, never worked with salesman that call none stop potential clients, thats absurd.

3)They have your social security number on file, think they are careful with keeping it under lock and key? Probably not.

= Huh? Every employer has your social security # It is filed just like any company, no better or worse.

4) They post phony job ads = You had bad experiences or you misread. What were you trying to apply for?

5) They will lie about when an assignment ends, or why it didn't work out. They call every assignment "temp to hire" even if its not. = Every job is temp to hire even when the agency doesn't know it, if the individual will prove himself/herself they will be there forever, I had a client that kept 4 temp workers for 9 years. Why? They were good, always showed up to work, and didn't mess up.

6) They will lie about pay = Any place you go to work you should sign a employee agreement form of the minimum wage you should earn. If its $18 or $35 an hour if you registered with a company and never signed a paper like I just stated, its not a real business.

7)They use temp agencies to weed out the bad people yes, its very hard to find good personal so they rather use temps and see how it goes, if it goes well, they will hire the person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Sorry Paul, but I posted earlier that Office Team lied to me about the rate of pay. This was my fourth assignment with them and I thought we(meaning myself and Office Team)had established a "relationship".

I was told more than once it was $18 an hour, when I got my first check it was clearly $16 an hour. When I inquired the office manager agreed with me and said "I believe that one is $18 an hour".

She then transferred me to my rep who said "oh no I said $16". No she didn't. It wasn't the first time she lied about something.

I don't mind if someone makes a mistake, but don't lie to me.

But she insisted I made a mistake, I did not. It was insulting to be lied to about it.

I finished the assignment and it was a long one(9 months) but that was the last one I did for Office Team.

Oh and BTW when I was on my second assignment they called me and told me they lost all my paperwork...DUH...I had to fax from my assignment my SS# and copies of my driver's license to them.

They wanted me to physically come into their office and do that. I said, how can I?

I'm on an assignment that you sent me to, I'm 15 miles away from your office(this was in CA) and I have a 30 minute lunch.

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody have a brain in that office????

Very unprofessional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Paul in Floral Park, New York said: 10 Years in the staffing/agency business. So lets go...

Okay, Paul, [b]let's[/b] go (for someone in the HR business, you certainly need to work on your grammar).

[i]1. I've never, ever heard of anybody ever doing this.[/i]
Then you've never worked for Kelly, Manpower, OfficeTeam, American Staffing, or Snelling Personnel.

[i]2. [I've] never worked with [b]salesmen[/b] that call [potential clients non-stop]. [b]That's[/b] absurd.[/i]
Absurd? I've had three former employers and business relations complain to me about harassment by staffing agencies at which I had used them as a reference.

[i]3. Every employer has your social security # It is filed just like any company, no better or worse.[/i]
Yeah, this is true. They won't sell your number, and it's fairly secure.

[i]4. You had bad experiences or you misread.[/i]
No. I have cited jobs posted on their respective web sites to them on the phone, and they've never heard of 90% of those postings.

[i]5. If the individual will prove himself/herself they will be there forever...[/i]
Incorrect. I consistently set production records at my last temp job, and they laid me off anyway, keeping those who [i]under[/i]performed. That's the second time that's happened to me.

[i]6. Any place you go to work you should sign a employee agreement form of the minimum wage you should earn.[/i]
I've worked many temp jobs for many temp agencies. They've [b]never[/b] presented me with such an agreement before an assignment. Oftentimes, there is nothing written at all.

[i]7. ... they rather use temps and see how it goes, if it goes well, they will hire the person.[/i]
False. I've saved companies a lot of money and increased productivity and efficiency and still been let go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Ugh... Sorry about the BBCode tags. I thought this board supported it. u_u;

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Time to share another staffing agency story. Compare this to the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."

So for the first time in many months, I got a call from a staffing agency called Lakeshore Staffing. The recruiter told me they had a data entry job where I'd be entering in order information using Excel for our local cable company and that it paid $16 an hour.

The recruiter left me a voice mail and an e-mail so first, I e-mailed him back and forth to ask him more about the job, then I called him back. I knew full and well this was more than likely a scam, but I went along with it anyway. He told me he'd send my resume to the company and that they would probably call me for an interview Friday or Monday (March 2nd/March 5th) then asked me my availability for an interview. I said I could come in at any time. Finally he told me to stay in touch with him and to call him if I had any questions and that was it.

It's now Tuesday, March 6th, and I've already moved on. The one big red flag was when he quoted that $16 an hour figure. Most data entry jobs don't pay that. The ballpark figure for a lot of data entry positions is between $8 and $12 an hour and usually not much higher than that. I also knew after my phone call ended with the recruiter that I probably wouldn't hear back, so I'm in no way disappointed about the outcome at all.

What is sad is that so many of these staffing agencies take advantage of people who are down on their luck. They scour Monster and Careerbuilder for resumes of potential suckers to call - these recruiters are nothing more than data miners who collect information off of people's resumes. They only call you to make it look like they're trying to help you find a job but that is not the reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

(message cont'd)

I've had a few other calls from actual employers and haven't had any luck with them either. A lot of them are now using the same tactics as staffing agencies with the phone screeners and proveit data entry/Microsoft Office tests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

themoi in Wichita, Kansas

41 months ago

Jumped through all the hoops for this temp agency (some you just go in and apply and this one was lots of details) and went for “orientation” yesterday afternoon and they said they were considering me for a month long temp position and would I be available for a phone interview? I told them I had an interview this morning at 930 and probably afternoon would be best for the interview. This broad comes almost unglued and tells me to call her back after the interview and let her know how it goes. I call back this morning and tell her they were still interviewing and were not in a hurry to fill the position only to find out she’s sent somebody else for the job because there was a possibility I wouldn’t be able to work the whole time for THEM because gawd forbid I had an interview for a permanent position! Gasp! Hello? You are a TEMP AGENCY and if something permanent comes along do you think somebody is going to be stupid enough to finish your job at the risk of losing permanent work? What part of temporary work do you all not understand? You think somebody wants to spend their life working temp for you all? DUH! And yeah, while working for you I’m going to keep applying and interviewing for something permanent so deal with it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

themoi, the tone, attitude, and vocabulary you used in your post is a good enough reason for ANY company to deny you a job.

Women are not called "broads." That's an archaic term from the 1920s, and is demeaning to anyone of female gender. Your rant for the last half of your post is highly unprofessional in both tone and language. Did you really expect anyone to take such a thoughtless tirade seriously?

Next time, think through and self-censor your post before hitting the "submit" button. Such low-class gutter-speak is not welcome on a professionally-minded forum like Indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois

40 months ago

Paul, in Floral Park, obviously works for a temp agency, or he works in HR.

But any way, Paul, it is totally untrue that if "everything works out", that a company will keep a temporary employee, or hire them permanent. This is the biggest myth alive in the corporate world today. Many temps are let go, no matter how great they are, or how hard they work. In some cases, the fact they ARE really good at their job IS the reason they are let go. Permanent workers can feel threatened, and worry that a more experienced/smarter person will replace them in their job.

I was let go after a few days because the client said I "asked too many questions". That was the only reason they could come up with! I only asked a few questions about office protocol, because I didn't want to do the wrong thing. In reality, they probably didn't want me permanent there because of discriminatory reasons, reasons they would never admit to.

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois

40 months ago

Also, temp agencies used to be just fine with you taking time off work for job interviews. It was expected, and accepted, a temporary employee would need to do that. Nowadays, temp agencies forbid anyone leaving work for a job interview, even on your own lunch hour (which is your own personal, unpaid time). They say you must conduct all interviews after 5 p.m. They have no business dictating someone's personal life, or trying to prevent temporaries from gaining permanent employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.