Temp Agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 138)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Teresa in Gilbert, Arizona

105 months ago

I applied to about 5 temp agencies when I first arrived in Arizona...They never had any of the jobs they advertised, don't rag on Office Team, they are just like every other temp agency..full of crap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

hawkins

105 months ago

They use your resume to fill their database and probably sell our data to third parties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Monterey Park, California

104 months ago

I have been registered with Office Team for about 10 years now. Tested extremely well - however, they only sent me out on one interview. I agree with you 100%!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paula

104 months ago

So, what is your strategy? I'm having the same problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michele in San Antonio, Texas

104 months ago

Using a temp agency is a hit or miss at times. I have worked for several temp agencies during my 20 years of working off and on during times of unemployment. Some of the assignments (all clerical in nature) I was placed to were in positions that were hard to fill because there was a problem with the work environment at the job site. My previous employer used a temp agency because they did not know how to screen applicants. They only used this method for their in house staff. I have worked for about 5 different temp staffing agencies during my work life. Sometimes I did not hear from them after applying and taking their tests and interviewing with them. Others, I worked for did send me out on assignments right away, but the jobs environments were "different" to say the least. My last one, I had to quit because the manager was "a nut case" who seemed to have several personalaties. Of course the temp agency was not happy that I quit. I found out later that as many as 5 people had left that same position during a six month period. Things have changed alot for the job seeker these days. Long ago, in the 80's (ha,ha) you could actually apply in person and get an interview. Not so anymore, it's online applications, telephone interviews, group interviews, etc. A person has to have the "right" key words on their online application or be deleted, I guess. I wish I had the answers. I am just another person, looking for work. Best luck to us all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Richardson, Texas

104 months ago

Couldn't have said it better myself. I went to one agency and took the tests, scored high . The woman said she had a great opportunity as a Mortgage Assist. Terrific. I took the drug test and passed. Passed all the requirements. She said: when can you go to work? I said: now. She told me where to go and it was a warehouse where I stuffed envelopes and swept the floor. Needless to say...I HATED it!!! I ended up quitting without notice. I had previously asked her about the Mort Asst. job and she said that "they no longer need anyone". Sure.
Also, now everyone checks credit. If you are out of work, you can't always pay your bills on time. It not about being irresponsbile, but you need to make sure your children eat and the electric is working. Sometimes you HAVE to live on credit until something comes. If you get behind one time, your credit gets messed up, and the unemployment agency deems you as "irresponsible". These days, it seems like inexperienced candidates with perfect credit get the jobs that aren't fake.

It's sad!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Teresa said: I applied to about 5 temp agencies when I first arrived in Arizona...They never had any of the jobs they advertised, don't rag on Office Team, they are just like every other temp agency..full of crap!

YES, YES, YES!!!! The other clue is when you go in and they say: "call us to check in" (because they know that they won't bother messing with you!!!!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Paula said: So, what is your strategy? I'm having the same problems.

Keep looking, but don't get your hopes up. Sometimes, there is something legit. Don't rely on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

hawkins said: They use your resume to fill their database and probably sell our data to third parties.

Is that why our in-box is filled with junk mail? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paula

104 months ago

Try very hard not to get depressed, sing the Annie song if you have to. There are decent people out there, just hard to find. Take Care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

THANKS FOR YOUR INSPIRATION. I KNOW DECENT PEOPLE ARE THERE, BUT WHERE?? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula

104 months ago

If you keep your energy positive, positive energy will find you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Yes! That is why I voice my frustrations, but don't give up :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula

104 months ago

That's the spirit!

christina in Englishtown, New Jersey

104 months ago

Temp agencies are ridiculous. I went to one, took the test, scored high and they sent me on one interview. I ended up not getting the job, but they never sent me on another one! I called back regularly and got nothing. So my advice to people? Don't go to temp agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

You were lucky to get to the interview part!!! :)

I agree with you. What a waste.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paula

104 months ago

I got a job today! I went through APR Consulting in Diamond Bar, CA. They are different - they truly care and they don't just take a bunch of people so it looks like they are busy. From what I know now, I would always look at the company website before applying with anyone - you might be able to tell empty promises from real ones! Nevah Nevah Nevah give up!

anonymous in Knoxville, Tennessee

104 months ago

hawkins said: They use your resume to fill their database and probably sell our data to third parties.

YEA, LIKE THE PEOPLE WHO SEND OUT JUNK MAIL!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ram Man in Fort Collins, Colorado

104 months ago

Cast my vote to put temp agencies in the "worthless" category.

Some, not all, of the people that work at these agencies must have very little incentive to actually place people in jobs. I think its comparable to HR departments within corporations-most of the people have infinite job security with very little incentive to do much of anything. Its definitely not like SALES, where you must excel constantly or else you will be fired!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Knoxville, Tennessee

104 months ago

Yep, they are all a joke! My vote is in too!

almost 50 in Foristell, Missouri

104 months ago

I have had interveiws with staffing firms, passed the test and unknown to me that I should not have let them make copies of my SS# and Driver's ID number.
I have been called and went to interveiw's and have not heard back. I fell that it is because of my age, they do not look at my skill's.
The funny thing about this is that I raised a daughter that is very successful in her line of work (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist)
I have a real problem with all the younger one's that really do not know what it is to have and work for a real job.
I am not a slacker myself, I have a very good education.
It is my age that they are looking at.
Fed up with the snotty kids these day's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sunny in Concord, California

104 months ago

Teresa said: I applied to about 5 temp agencies when I first arrived in Arizona...They never had any of the jobs they advertised, don't rag on Office Team, they are just like every other temp agency..full of crap!

Yip waste of time, the lot of them, and in every state . One is better off trying to cold canvass for direct hire at corporations.

Nelson in Atlanta, Georgia

103 months ago

Something else to ponder: you call in to see if they have anything available and, as usual, they say, "not at the moments...things are slow", etc. Then they say that they'll put you on the "availabity list", what ever bullcrap that really is. You say, thanks, and hang up. You then think to yourself, hey, they never even asked me for my name and number! In short, yes, they REALLY care about you!
Just a bit frustrated, that's all...

me in Richardson, Texas

103 months ago

yep, they are all stupid and don't care. their mentality is "I have a job, so..."

Gianna, Columbus, Ohio in Columbus, Ohio

103 months ago

almost 50 said: I have had interveiws with staffing firms, passed the test and unknown to me that I should not have let them make copies of my SS# and Driver's ID number.
I have been called and went to interveiw's and have not heard back. I fell that it is because of my age, they do not look at my skill's.
The funny thing about this is that I raised a daughter that is very successful in her line of work (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist)
I have a real problem with all the younger one's that really do not know what it is to have and work for a real job.
I am not a slacker myself, I have a very good education.
It is my age that they are looking at.
Fed up with the snotty kids these day's.
When you get a chance, call the agency and ask them for your application back so that you can destroy it. Tell them that it is the law to delete your information from their database within six months after your last assignment. Even better, show up in person and insist they do it right then and there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Richardson, Texas

103 months ago

Yep! I agree! Unfort, "image is everything". You can LOOK perfect and be perfectly stupid!!!!
Something will come up! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

former temp agency recruiter in West Bloomfield, Michigan

103 months ago

Ram Man said: Cast my vote to put temp agencies in the "worthless" category.
Some, not all, of the people that work at these agencies must have very little incentive to actually place people in jobs. I think its comparable to HR departments within corporations-most of the people have infinite job security with very little incentive to do much of anything. Its definitely not like SALES, where you must excel constantly or else you will be fired!!!
Working at a temp agency as a recruiter is nothing but sales. You have to sell candidates to employers. You must meet your quota each month, otherwise you will be fired.!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Sunnyvale, California

103 months ago

I am a former Recruiter for OfficeTeam and I can honestly say that they are a horrible service. The Recruiters there aren't bad people, but they are honestly really over worked and told to do very unethical things. Yes, Recruiting is a sales job, and I am still in a Recruiting role, but I can honestly say that the company I now work for doesn't volume recruit just to make numbers and put money in my manager's pockets. There are agencies out there who strategically recruit and will find you jobs, and if they don't, will help you with what they can in your job search. OfficeTeam recruiters are worked so hard that they aren't even allowed to take lunch breaks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Austin, Texas

103 months ago

Wow, Responding! Work for a temp agency much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

me in Richardson, Texas

103 months ago

Elizabeth said: Wow, Responding! Work for a temp agency much?

I am with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Eydie in Seattle, Washington

103 months ago

I used to get many long term temp office jobs through temp agencies where I was "sent out" to job, without an interview. The agencies used to screen me for the employer, and be the "middle man" between me and employer and they sold me to client saying, "We're sending Eydie tomorrow to your company to work." And they would also explain to employer my credentials and skills and great work history, etc. Now temp agencies will screen you, but tell you that you have to interview for the temp job! So I do go to interview, and the employer picks someone else. So the job that used to be mine before is now a crap shoot. Isn't this defeating the purpose of signing up with a temp agency? They used to be like "an agent" finding me jobs. Why are temp agencies not selling and sending you to temp jobs anymore? I've been having a difficult time as a result, just trying to find any type of job on my own. I had relied on the temp agencies to find me quick employment while I looked for permanent jobs on my own in the past. I'm also an older worker, 56, so they don't want me due to older age too, I guess. Now I discover from this blog that others are facing this problem. We should all ban together and start our own temp agency and do it the right way--send people on jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Louise in Douglassville, Pennsylvania

103 months ago

Your experience is my experience exactly! I've had, in the past, several very positive experiences with "just being sent out to the job." Then, more recently, a proliferation of interviews - none of which, somehow, seem to work out. I'm also older (62) - employers seem to love my results (when I just walk in the door and it's a done deal) - but don't seem to choose me from a group of candidates. Rather depressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eydie in Vashon, Washington

103 months ago

Thank you for your response Louise! I feel better that I'm not the only one experiencing this with agencies. I guess we have two strikes against us, being older, and the agencies working only for companies and not balancing themselves between clients and associates (us) anymore. Temp agencies are supposed to be like account executives at ad agencies--sure they need to care about the employer's interests, but they are also supposed to be looking out for their own people too! In the times I did find good jobs at temp agencies, it was because I finally found an intelligent recruiter who saw that I truly needed a job! Unfortunately, those kind of recruiters don't exist anymore.

hawkins in Saint Louis, Missouri

103 months ago

I would suggest staying away from agencies like Manpower, Office Team, Robert Half, Stivers ect. I have had excellent luck with a small privately owned staffing firm in my city. The owner has great relationships with her clients and she has gotten me in with some great companies and the pay was market rate. Try looking into a small private owned agency. This is an excellent way to keep money coming in while you look. Yeah I wasted my time with Office Team and the like. If they only knew how bad of a repuation that they really have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eydie in Vashon, Washington

103 months ago

Thank you Hawkins! I'll look in phone book for the smaller privately owned agencies to sign up with. Thanks again!

Small Town near Big Town in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

103 months ago

Anonymous said: I am a former Recruiter for OfficeTeam ... even allowed to take lunch breaks.

Responding said: . in Sunnyvale, California
Blah blah blah blah. Bitch bitch bitch bitch. Whine Whine Whine

Sunnyvale - There you go again. Showing your dual personalities. Faking that you are "professional", working long hours - not taking lunch. Alot of people miss their lunches. So what? We're supposed to comfort you? You stalk online for your next prey and frequently during work hours.

Then - YOUR CAP'S AND LANGUAGE ?? Surprise surprise, your postings get deleted, but, sometimes not before someone responds to you and there's your anger - right there.

This is how you are online? How are you in person?

When somebody responds to you, then you succumb to the 8 yr old temper tantrum. It's no wonder recruiters get such a bad rep and candidates get frustrated.

First you're an OT employee, then you're a recruiter, a few days ago, you used OT for placements "at your company".

You need to get into another line of business and leave folks alone.

Still Strong in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

103 months ago

Paula said: That's the spirit!

Paula,

Thanks for your uplifting messages. They have helped. I am starting my new job soon. It has been a long 3 months, but, having this outlet and encouragement has helped. This may sound hokey, but, it's true.
I wish the best for you.

103 months ago

me said:
I am with you.

Hi Richardson. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and links to "continuing education" on my budget: FREE !!

You have been so good to give me a chuckle and energy. Hope all is going well with you.

As to Sunnyvale - I still like my Bill the Cat " BFFFLLT !!" Ooops - that was silly, but, it felt good.

anonynous in Fowler, California

103 months ago

Paula said: I got a job today! I went through APR Consulting in Diamond Bar, CA. They are different - they truly care and they don't just take a bunch of people so it looks like they are busy. From what I know now, I would always look at the company website before applying with anyone - you might be able to tell empty promises from real ones! Nevah Nevah Nevah give up!

I wish they would open one here in Fresno! I agree. Temp agencies suck!

Ann in Pleasanton, California

103 months ago

Recruiters don't find jobs for people -- they find people for jobs. It's an important distinction to understand if you want to get a job through a recruiter.

In other words, recruiters service the people who will pay them today. And unless you're paying a recruiter out of your pocket today, don't expect them to canvas the world to find you a job. You'll only be disappointed. Recruiters will be interested in you if you meet the criteria of a job one of their client companies has asked them to fill, or they believe they'll soon be asked to fill.

Still Going Strong in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

103 months ago

Ann said: Recruiters .. find jobs for people -- they find people for jobs. It's an important distinction
(there's that pedesatl again)
to understand if you want to get a job through a recruiter.
recruiters service (OH?)
the people who will pay them today. And unless you're paying a recruiter out of your pocket today, don't expect them to canvas the world to find you a job. You'll only be disappointed. Recruiters will be interested in you if you meet the criteria of a job one of their client companies has asked them to fill, or they believe they'll soon be asked to fill.

Oh - you're Ann now. What happened to bigdog and recruiter, etc.

I have talked with enough recruiters to know that they can work with you and strengthen your skills, perspective, and crib for interviews.

"canvas the world" - Most people come to agencies because they need help, not be ridiculed to condescended to. I'm surprised to not see your usual cuss words and favorite names (idiot, stupid, a**).

It's "recruiters" this time, if that's your flavor of the day, you need to get another line of business. You're one of those that sees people as numbers and $$'s.

Pleasanton again - go back under your rock and stay there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunny Days in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

103 months ago

me said:
I am with you.

Richardson:
Have not seen much from you in other places. How are things going? Any luck yet.

You were such a help to me and wanted to send some support your way.

Paula

103 months ago

I'm glad I could help, and congratulations on your new job! Mine is going well, thanks.

Sandra J. Earley

102 months ago

And I thought it was ME!!!!! How true. The majority of the staffing agencies post jobs that do not, and have never, existed. Took me a while (after "registering" with about 7 of them) until I caught on. They promise you the world and offer you nothing. The biggest offenders are Office Team and Appleone. Their job postings are listed on all the major sites (even the unemployment office for the state of Florida). I no longer deal with any of them when they call.

Sandra J. Earley

102 months ago

I turned 54 yesterday. I totally agree that we 50ish people are being discriminated against. The only jobs I am offerred are the ones that I don't want (low pay, no health insurance). Seems like the only good ones that come my way are the people who find ME online. Perhaps I should not send out any further resumes and let them come to me. Will that work?

Sandra J. Earley

102 months ago

Totally agree. I never got that far.

102 months ago

Sandra J. Earley said: I turned 54 yesterday. I totally agree that we 50ish people are being discriminated against. .. let them come to me. Will that work?

Possibly, but how stable is this and are there company benefits? Not being sarcastic, just didn't know how you find these jobs. If you can afford, why not work both angles - work and look.

I am almost the same age, however, with perseverence and pure "gut that I would do it". Last 5 wks, 6 interviews and went to or was requested for 4 second interviews. Two of them, I turned down. I am not covering 2-3 positions at one time, just because the company can't find a lower admin. These were temp to perm jobs.

In my opinion, one of the problems with "our age bracket" is that we are hired by higher level management. Therefore, getting on THEIR schedules is tricky. Two jobs, waited >3 weeks for them. One has been > month. ALSO, we are expected to handle more tasks, because it is "assumed" we have the maturity, patience, and knowledge to multi-task.

The other thing is, you have to keep your skills, attitude, and presence fresh and top notch. I was laid off over 5 yrs ago, after 18 yrs. Replaced with two early 20 somethings, for I have been told, they wanted college-degreed employees. In the past 16 months, I have had 4 recruiters call me to see if I wanted to go back - to the same job. Yeah, that plan worked for them.

Point is. Believe in yourself, or fake it til you feel it. You just got to.

Other questions:
1) Is your resume current? Using key phrases and language you see on job postings?
2) Do you show that professionalism and energy level? I am used to working 45-50 hr weeks now. The 20-30 somethings don't WANT to. That's their problem, not mine.
3) Take pride in what you've accomplished, make this shine on your resume, and don't think of yourself as older. This can work.
I'm rooting for you !

Sandra J. Earley

102 months ago

The last permanent job I obtained was when I was not even looking. The director of HR reviewed my online resume and called me. I was with the company, for about 2 years, when they closed the office. Tomorrow, I have an interview with the head of HR of a large, stable company. She found me!!!! I guess my resume does shine. Thanks for the encouragement.

AJ in Salinas, California

102 months ago

I AM TOTALLY WITH YOU GUYS ON THAT.

Margaret Fong in San Francisco, California

102 months ago

Anonymous said: I am a former Recruiter for OfficeTeam and I can honestly say that they are a horrible service. The Recruiters there aren't bad people, but they are honestly really over worked and told to do very unethical things. Yes, Recruiting is a sales job, and I am still in a Recruiting role, but I can honestly say that the company I now work for doesn't volume recruit just to make numbers and put money in my manager's pockets. There are agencies out there who strategically recruit and will find you jobs, and if they don't, will help you with what they can in your job search. OfficeTeam recruiters are worked so hard that they aren't even allowed to take lunch breaks.

Wrong. One recruiter told me that he was out to lunch when I called in my availability because I finished another project from a different agency and one that used to wotk for OfficeTeam, I saw her have lunch in her hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.