Very important post - Robert Half & Age Discrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Jim in Houston, Texas

104 months ago

None said: LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas
I am a former Robert Half manager too. They can't keep people in the seats past lunch. They are clueless in the legal staffing industry and think their accounttemps/officeteam model of 125 calls and 12 visits solves everything. It's all about gross margin profit and NEVER about the candidate. They practice age discrimination with a secret coding system called AIP -- Attitude, Intellect and Placeability. High is 1 low is 5. Passed out a sheet in a training seminar saying to grade someone as a "4" who was a "matured worker." A clue--job orders are 3 numbers and a dash like 111- if the next number is a "9" it is a fake job order.

I wonder if this explains the Westchase Houston's lack of responsesiveness to me. I worked a 12 month assignment for them in 2002 through 2003. then went to work for someone else for 2.5 years...and then got laid off. I returned to the Westhcase office, got registered and heard NOT one thing from them for over 10 months. and I'm 48yo. I hope that 48 doesn't equal "matured worker" to them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Grisela Rodriguez in Chicago, Illinois

104 months ago

Has anyone been placed in a full-time position by them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paula

104 months ago

Thanks for the info - that explains a lot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

guess in San Antonio, Texas

104 months ago

I am a former Robert Half manager too. They can't keep people in the seats past lunch. They are clueless in the legal staffing industry and think their accounttemps/officeteam model of 125 calls and 12 visits solves everything. It's all about gross margin profit and NEVER about the candidate. They practice age discrimination with a secret coding system called AIP -- Attitude, Intellect and Placeability. High is 1 low is 5. Passed out a sheet in a training seminar saying to grade someone as a "4" who was a "matured worker." A clue--job orders are 3 numbers and a dash like 111- if the next number is a "9" it is a fake job order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Guess in San Antonio, Texas

104 months ago

One thing you forgot was not only the AIP but the rating A,B,C,D This is the placbility of the candidate.
They never answer their calls or return calls. You can try and email...but well...you'll be lucky to get an answer. They are trying to get in 125 calls and visit 12 clients. Plus making sure that they have so many interviews...that is what the fake job orders are out there for. It's a way to get you in the door. The Lead Admin and receptionist are there to screen the calls. Don't expect to talk to a Staffing Manager unless you are a new candidate and have not had an interview yet. If you get a call back you are lucky.
In our office...they employee only soroity girls and people that have connections within the community.
I wish you guys could see all the going ons behind the scenes. It is such a joke.
I'm glad the word is getting out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Richardson, Texas

104 months ago

It is good to hear it from someone who is there. I don't doubt it is a complete waste. And that is sad becuase a lot of people, like me, WANT to work! We also don't want to waste our time so.

Thanks for your input on behalf of all the people who write in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula

104 months ago

are you looking for another job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Richardson, Texas

104 months ago

YEP. I WANT A STABLE CAREER!!!!

Cheryl in Westminster, Colorado

104 months ago

Jim said:
I wonder if this explains the Westchase Houston's lack of responsesiveness to me. I worked a 12 month assignment for them in 2002 through 2003. then went to work for someone else for 2.5 years...and then got laid off. I returned to the Westhcase office, got registered and heard NOT one thing from them for over 10 months. and I'm 48yo. I hope that 48 doesn't equal "matured worker" to them

I'm 48 also, was registered with OT (RHI) for several months, they never once sent me for an interview or even sent my resume for a cust. srv. position, though I did get one good paying temp job. I finally found a cust. srv job this week, on my own. Was tempted to give no notice, but gave them 4 days to find someone to replace me. Cust. srv. is my area of expertise, I've got hard copy back up to prove it and am good w/ all kinds of software too. Look on your own, definitely don't depend on a temp agency to find employment that will value the experience and knowledge someone your age has. I'm starting at the same wage as the OT job, but it's only 2 miles from home, not 21 as the temp job was. Office Team is terrible, especially for mature workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Knoxville, Tennessee

104 months ago

Unfort in this world "Image is everthing". You worked for them and I am sure you did great. They should call you. I'd say that with age comes experience. These people want a twenty-something right out of school who will work for nothing.

Good luck, something will come up :)

Jeri Gurka in Houston, Texas

104 months ago

Try EEOC, TWC & U.S. DEPT. OF LABOR

Heels in Palos Hills, Illinois

104 months ago

i applied for a job at RH in Chicago. I called numerous times to inquire about my resume. All I got was a lousy voicemail. I left numerous messages and no one ever got back to me. I also e-mailed and guess what no responce. I am glad I found some feedback about this company.

lynne in Newark, California

99 months ago

Grisela Rodriguez in Chicago, Illinois said: Has anyone been placed in a full-time position by them?

Yes I have and many of the employers that they sent me to in the past wanted to hire me as a permanent employee. I however work in the East bay Area, (in CA).
Now they want me to work with them as a agency recruiter. So far soooo ..... good !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl K in Delaware in Bridgeport, Pennsylvania

99 months ago

Office Team stinks; it doesn't matter which state you live in

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia

99 months ago

Maybe they should change their name to Office Scheme!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Over 40

99 months ago

I too have applied for many of the "positions" advertised. Never heard from them - I even tailored my resume to match word for word to one of their ads - they never even contacted me. Finally, I guess one of their "trainees" didn't catch how many years experience I had, they contacted me and in the middle of my conversation with them, I overheard "key" words - "I see that you have 30 years experience" - "hold on a minute - my supervisor justed informed me that he just hung up the phone with the client - the client just called and changed the details of the advertised position - seems they are lowering their pay scale.

Seriously! Let's face it - you kow those marketing ads that promise you $30K a month for doing absolutely nothing - well that's what Robert Half (a CANADIAN firm - hint, hint) is doing - fake ads - they send you out at a low hourly rate and pocket the rest of the money being paid by the client. The client asks for a certain amount of experience and is asked to pay for that experience - the agency then turns around and pays the candidate a fee suitable for someone fresh out of high school.

CLIENTS - WAKE UP!

Prefer to stay nameless in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

I am 9 years older than you and Office Team is doing ZILCH for me also! They got me jobs that were mostly way beneath my skill level and lately they have offered me nothing. If I call about a "specific" job that is on their website, I am told that the employer put the job on hold. Funny, the last job I inquired directly about I got the very same response! I registered with another staffing agency and they asked what the lowest I would accept is. I was called for an interview with some rinky-dink little company and gues what the pay is??? The very least I would except! Not even 25-cents more! I am so disheartened. I will probably end up filing bankruptcy before next year.

Jim R in Houston, Texas

98 months ago

I've had mixed results with Officeteam. they secured a long-term assignment for me that lasted from 6/02 to 7/03. then I secured a permanent job 2 months later via other means. when that job ended in 2/06, I re-registered with Officeteam. in all of 2006, they secured 2 interviews for me:one face to face and one telephone interview-that's it. (I secured over 20-25 interviews my self in all of 2006). I've concluded that all if not most of the recruiters for Officeteam are very green, and the company basically acts a farm for other companies that hire them when they've "had it with" Officeteam.

50 somethn crowd in Naperville, Illinois

96 months ago

None in Ashaway, Rhode Island said: LeagleBeagle in Houston, Texas

I have met with RH, and am 50, with more than 25 yrs experience in accounting, Now I am wondering how they rated me.
Bev

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Grisela Rodriguez in Chicago, Illinois said: Has anyone been placed in a full-time position by them?

I am set up with the Tinley Park office. Nothing yet. Been looking since 7/07
They say they are looking for advanced accountants like CPA, but sometime I think it is because I am 50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Guess in San Antonio, Texas said: One thing you forgot was not only the AIP but the rating A,B,C,D This is the placbility of the candidate.
They never answer their calls or return calls. You can try and email...but well...you'll be lucky to get an answer. They are trying to get in 125 calls and visit 12 clients. Plus making sure that they have so many interviews...that is what the fake job orders are out there for. It's a way to get you in the door. The Lead Admin and receptionist are there to screen the calls. Don't expect to talk to a Staffing Manager unless you are a new candidate and have not had an interview yet. If you get a call back you are lucky.
In our office...they employee only soroity girls and people that have connections within the community.
I wish you guys could see all the going ons behind the scenes. It is such a joke.
I'm glad the word is getting out there.

I am with RH, its scraring to hear all the goins on out there. Isnt there anyone honest left besides me.
BP -

96 months ago

Heels in Palos Hills, Illinois said: i applied for a job at RH in Chicago. I called numerous times to inquire about my resume. All I got was a lousy voicemail. I left numerous messages and no one ever got back to me. I also e-mailed and guess what no responce. I am glad I found some feedback about this company.

I am set up with Tinley, did you ever get a job. Been looking for 3 months, nothing yet.

abc in Pennsylvania

96 months ago

RH's rates are pitiful.

Try one of the smaller agencies carrying the same openings. Their rates are $10-15 higher on average.

no comment in na, Connecticut

96 months ago

I was an RHI recruiter for over a year...a long time for that place. Here is the truth. Yes, the jobs are real. When you open an order in their database to fill, it automatically goes on the job boards. They usually get filled with candidates they talk to on a regular basis, or people ending other assignments that have an established track record. Or, if they meet someone they really like they might try to place them out on the next job they need to fill. Therefore, many of those postings, although real jobs, no longer exist. If the job does still exist, it's probably with a crappy client (employer) who is picky about all the other candidates that were presented, or, it's a job no one wants anyway.

The AIP has nothing to do with age. It stands for Appearance, Intellect, Personality, and then there is a letter...A, B, or C for placeability.

After the recruiter finishes interviewing you, they go back to the rest of their co-workers in the bullpen and talk about the way you were dressed, what was weird looking about you, etc... Then they all get a great laugh.

They don't return calls or emails if they don't want to place you anywhere. The reason isn't always because they are unethical, it's because they are bogged down with so many stupid data entry tasks, making various excel spreadsheets, and arts and crafts with resumes, that they simply don't have the time. If you need to go to the ladies room you have to "log an event."

The recruiters are required to speak with AT LEAST 125 hiring managers a week, and visit at least 12. They are also supposed to interview at least 40 people per week if they are on the interviewing/recruiting rotation. They speak with so many people that they probably don't even remember who the hell you are six months down the line when you try to contact them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Accounting Acquisition Agent in Gahanna, Ohio

95 months ago

I recruit also, and I figured that is pretty much how they were.

I had the same luck as a (minority MBA/CPA)---so, much for the old AA hire right? Anyway, I kinda like working as a boutique practice

Unknown Unknows in Rochester, New York

95 months ago

I too, came from OfficeTeam as a Staffing Manager. All I can say is that I felt like a ROBOT. Wearing a headset everyday, picking up the phone, hanging up, leaving some fake message about the "amazing" candidate that we are representing. Its all nonsense, really. The office environment was very negative, because everyone was working like robots to make their goals. If the office was too quite (hence) not making enough phone calls, my manager would stand up and yell at everyone because it was too quiet. Or, she would send out a nasty email to the office. How's that to boost morale? Horrible. Have you ever heard of the Forbes Top 100 (companies to work for)? Well, if they had a Top 100 companies to NOT work for, OfficeTeam and RHI would be #1. They don't value their employees, all they care about is money and numbers, numbers, numbers. Even you are a number if you work there, their turnover is tremendous, its like a swinging door in that place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

123 in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

Can anyone ever say that they have met, seen or spoke w/Robert Half himself?

Renee Wallace in San Leandro, California

73 months ago

I was forwarded a Robert Half job order for a contract financial analyst. Amazingly, the job order said "No more than ten
years experience." Talk about upfront age discrimination!!!

REPORTER in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

ATTORNEY GENERAL
MAY NEED TO GET
IN ON THE WAGON
HERE!
DO YOU AGREE?

Renee Wallace in San Leandro, California

73 months ago

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, not the attorney general. Also, since many of their
clients are government contractors requiring affirmative action plans, the Department of Defense
should be involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bruce w in torrance, California

73 months ago

thanks you guys you just saved me, I think a lot of grief--I was invited to "apply" with office team, for a supposed good position, I realized I forgot to ask her, is it full time or part time, so I tried to call back...no answer...tried to email back...no answer yet. from what you guys have said here, I think I will pass.....thanks again

Caesar in Walnut Creek, California

73 months ago

I too want to THANK YOU. I've been interviewing for a Staffing Manager position with the company and felt a bit uneasy. They are like robots, asking the same questions (I had 3 interviews total). My favorite "who were you working with at that company?" I could tell they were digging - so desperate. I was told by the Regional Director that it was a challenging position and the reward is that they pull in a 6 figure income. She said this wearing a polyester blazer with a broken button and pants that didn't match. PLEASE.... I may be unemployed, but I know a Sears suit vs. Chanel suit! I left laughing. I'm not that naive. Thanks again!!

STL Recruiter in O'Fallon, Illinois

73 months ago

123 in Houston, Texas said: Can anyone ever say that they have met, seen or spoke w/Robert Half himself?

I've never met Ronald McDonald, but, I can tell you they sell a lot of burgers!

REPORTER in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

But honey the agency doesn't...lol

Hstn Accountant in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

I went to the Accountemps BW8 and Tidwell. Everyone working there appeared to be younger than 32. The manager in control of that office appeared to be less than 30. After I had applied online for a certain job and after the manager's first phone call, I emailed her directly my referral letters and my resume’ (which do not reveal my age). She called again and seemed excited about having me go in so she could get me set-up for an interview right away. She called me three times, in fact. She supposedly had the perfect job for me. I went to that Accountemps office and completed the forms they require, which of course asks for your birth date. Well, suddenly her attitude changed. You see, I am quite a bit older but appear 10 to 15 years younger. Then she called me in for a very cold and unprofessional 30 second interview. By now she had seen my age. After this so called interview, I was sent to the outdated and slow computer to be tested (probably the same thing she thinks about someone my age!) It did not matter I scored 98% on my accounting test because suddenly there was no job interview and no contact again from her. She even ignored my telephone calls. YES, AGE DISCRIMATION!!!! BIG TIME!!!!!!

Hstn Accountant in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Jim in Houston, Texas said: I wonder if this explains the Westchase Houston's lack of responsesiveness to me. I worked a 12 month assignment for them in 2002 through 2003. then went to work for someone else for 2.5 years...and then got laid off. I returned to the Westhcase office, got registered and heard NOT one thing from them for over 10 months. and I'm 48yo. I hope that 48 doesn't equal "matured worker" to them

I went to the Accountemps BW8 and Tidwell. Everyone working there appeared to be younger than 32. I emailed the recruiter my referral letters and resume’ (which do not reveal my age) after her first phone call when I had applied online for a certain job. She called again and seemed excited about getting me set-up for an interview right away. She called me three times, in fact. I went to Accountemps office and completed the forms they require, which of course asks for your birth date. Well, suddenly her attitude changed. You see, I am quite a bit older but appear 10 to 15 years younger but now she had seen my birth date. After the cold and unprofessional 30 second interview, I was sent to the outdated and extremely slow (also what they may think of someone my age) computer to be tested. It did not matter I scored 98% on my accounting test because suddenly there was no job interview and no contact again from her. She even ignored my telephone calls. YES, AGE DISCRIMATION!!!! BIG TIME!!!!!!

Renee in San Francisco, California

59 months ago

Robert Half Management Resources in San Jose hit me with both age discrimination and race discrimination. Robert Half owns both AccountTemps and Management Resources. My resume was sent to a Chinese owned company and I was told I did not get the job because I would not "culturally fit in." (I am white.) The head recruiter is Chinese and several people under her are also Asian and they only want to hire other young Asians. Really, we need to organize a class action suit against these people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amanda Mc in fort worth, Texas

59 months ago

It's quite sad but they do practice age discrimination at RH. I remember walking in and meeting with recruiters who all appear 23-28. All business dressed with their central perk mugs lol (i.e. a little Friends humor). They have no real interest in being a career placement professional. It's just a sales job, and they are extremely lousy at it. I too don't look my age, so they are quite surprised when they find out and want to hold out on the 'good jobs' from you. It appears to be alot of 'recent college grad jobs' jargon in their listings...hmmm oK

esk in Newmarket, Ontario

40 months ago

Over 40 said: I too have applied for many of the "positions" advertised. Never heard from them - I even tailored my resume to match word for word to one of their ads - they never even contacted me. Finally, I guess one of their "trainees" didn't catch how many years experience I had, they contacted me and in the middle of my conversation with them, I overheard "key" words - "I see that you have 30 years experience" - "hold on a minute - my supervisor justed informed me that he just hung up the phone with the client - the client just called and changed the details of the advertised position - seems they are lowering their pay scale.

Seriously! Let's face it - you kow those marketing ads that promise you $30K a month for doing absolutely nothing - well that's what Robert Half (a CANADIAN firm - hint, hint) is doing - fake ads - they send you out at a low hourly rate and pocket the rest of the money being paid by the client. The client asks for a certain amount of experience and is asked to pay for that experience - the agency then turns around and pays the candidate a fee suitable for someone fresh out of high school.

CLIENTS - WAKE UP!

I am a former Robert Half recruiter and yes there are somethings that were not the greatest. I did want to say in regards to your post about RHI ( A Canadian Firm) is actually incorrect. Their Head Office is in California and they were started in the USA....the have over 300 offices worldwide....Let's not blame Canada for the the actions of a company. i can say that our branches were not discriminitory against age at all. We don't even see SIN numbers or the year of their birth dates.....but then again, Canada has stricter rules when it comes to discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

esk in Newmarket, Ontario

40 months ago

Renee Wallace in San Leandro, California said: I was forwarded a Robert Half job order for a contract financial analyst. Amazingly, the job order said "No more than ten
years experience." Talk about upfront age discrimination!!!

curious as to how 10 years of experience is discriminiatory. I have clients who say no one too senior as the may be looking to move up....I would educate the client on the proper terms.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

40 months ago

It's 100% age discrimination when an ad says "no more than 5 or 10 years experience" or when applicants are told "you're overqualified" when the skills and requirements match perfectly. The hiring folks are getting more sophisticated when it comes to weeding out "mature workers" so that they won't get into legal trouble.

Fed up with their utter nonsense about those 'very experienced' workers deep down want a more senior position or expect to move up eventually or want more $ when in fact their explanation just serves to cover up their rear for discrimination.

me in Dallas, Texas

19 months ago

Renee in San Francisco, California said: Robert Half Management Resources in San Jose hit me with both age discrimination and race discrimination. Robert Half owns both AccountTemps and Management Resources. My resume was sent to a Chinese owned company and I was told I did not get the job because I would not "culturally fit in." (I am white.) The head recruiter is Chinese and several people under her are also Asian and they only want to hire other young Asians. Really, we need to organize a class action suit against these people.

I've had the same thing recently happen to me. It was very disappointing. I received a call from the office manager regarding numerous positions that i would qualify for and that she also wants to talk to me about a recruiting position with Accounttemps. She said that its "rare" to see someone with both analyst experience and business development experience and that she really wanted to talk with me about it. So I went in, filled out some forms and took the tests. Did well on all three tests and waited to meet with her. When she finally came out to meet with me she had this look on her face of disappointment. We went to an interview room and she immediately asked "what questions do you have for me?" So I asked her to tell me more about all the positions she mentioned over the phone. Her response was "well, i don't have any openings Herman the one position i do have they are looking for an all-star but i don't have much more information than that. They're 'Good Ole boys' so... After that comment I was disgusted and completely insulted as I am a young African American male. She then grabbed her mouth and said, well i didn't mean for it to come out like that, but you know what i mean. I responded" I know exactly what you mean" She then rushed me out of the interview
After that.... I don't even think we shook hands. But I didn't care because i was already upset at that point. I reported this to the eeoc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.