Why all the hate for OfficeTeam? (Lovefest)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

J M Andrews in Baltimore, Maryland

49 months ago

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed here, but I felt compelled to say something good about OfficeTeam after all the bad press I see about them on here. I don't work for them (I am an officeteam temp, not a recruiter or whatever...I don't work directly in their office), but have had the best experience with them of any temp agency I've ever worked with (to be fair, Ajilon is the only other office I've been with, back in NJ, years ago).

I was laid off for nearly 10 months before I finally went to OfficeTeam to try to find temp work. I have a BFA in graphic design and extensive background in technical writing and proofreading. Literally 2 days after I went in for my interview/testing/etc, they called with an assignment. I'd said $13.50 as my absolute minimum, and this was only $12.50, but it was only two weeks, and at that point, $12.50/hour was better than $0/hour. I took the assignment, and at the end of the two weeks, the manager at the office I was temping at saw my resume and graphic design experience and asked me to do a few "trial" assignments. I completed them, and she contacted O.T. to create a new contract for me as an instructional designer. Not only did they manage to work out a contract that is extended at 3-month intervals (to give me some "heads up" for if/when my contract expires), but they also negotiated my salary up to $20.08/hour- slightly low for an Instructional Designer, but not far off entry level (and 1. I'm a temp, 2. this was my first foray into instructional design). I've now been at the same office, temping on 3-month contracts, for over 14 months, with no end in sight. Amy Keitt, my manager at O.T. is helpful, very courteous, and nearly always accessible. I know (fast food junkie) how much the same company can vary between locations, but even still its surprising to see how many bad experiences have been posted here. For anyone in the Baltimore area, don't be scared away- I can attest, this place does an amazing job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

49 months ago

I suspect you actually do work for OT...LOL.

I have mixed feelings about them, I did several assignments for them including one that lasted 9 months.

It kept getting extended because I was doing a great job.

I found them to be somewhat disorganized. For example I had to go interview for one assignment which I did and was told by OT that I was the one selected.

I showed up the following week only to be told by the employer that the start date was pushed back a week. I was livid(although I said nothing to the company). OT forgot to tell me.

They offered to pay me for half the day, which was fine, but then forgot about it. So I had to say something to finally get the money.

On the 9 month assignment I was told the rate of pay was $18 an hour, after I got my first check it was clearly $16 an hour.

When I called the office manager she told me she thought it was $18 as well but I needed to talk to the one called me originally. She bold face lied to me and said it was $16( I know what I was told).

Had she just said "I made a mistake, I'm sorry", I wouldn't have minded. But don't lie about it, now you're insulting someone's intelligence.

Their offices are staffed with twenty something know it alls who actually know very little about professional behavior.

They're not the worst but they're not the best either.

I did about four assignments that lasted from two months up to nine months and they were lucky to have me as I always got high marks.

But they were not proactive. I always had to ask the employer is the assignment being extended. I would then tell OT.

A temp shouldn't be doing that. They should be telling you by the end of the week if is continuing.

When you're college educated and have been in the workforce for several years it is frustrating to have to deal with kiddies playing dress up in an office. Who don't have a clue as to how business should be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cyberaim123 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

49 months ago

Being one who has experienced some of the same problems you have, I can attest to how difficult it can be to work with some of these agencies. If one had not experienced it, you comment may have come off as being a bit on the attitude side. When you have the experience yourself, it can be hard to work with those who are not so experienced. Not that not knowing enough is the real problem, but how you are treated when they get an attitude about screwing up, or treat you with disrespect because they did screw up. That is a big problem. You don't have to know everything as an agency staff member - but it certainly helps that if you don't, you don't make the person pay by smart remarks when it isn't your problem to begin with. Let them be young or whatever - just train them properly on how to deal with conflicts, and problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Well the problem is most agencies including OT are staffed by 20 somethings who don't have a clue.

And 25 seems to be the new 16 these days.

As I said if she had just said "I'm sorry I made a mistake on the salary". Instead of lying about it.

I didn't act that way when I was in my 20s in the work environment.

That doesn't seem to be the norm today.

cyberaim123 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

49 months ago

Definitely have see what you are talking about. Do some of these young employed actually think that is they way to deal with people? I wonder if they actually know how bad they come off to others? I wonder who actually allows them to think this is the way to handle people, or problems?

It's like watching one of those idiotic reality shows where people behave badly for entertainment. If you bring up a problem, the immediately response is "are you accusing me"? Uh, no - just explaining the problem so someone can help get it resolved. Who are these people?

49 months ago

IMO, they're told to lie and never admit fault. Which is a very bad business practice.

They screwed up a few times with me and I never got an apology or an explanation. They sent me on an assignment I absolutely hated(call center), the supervisor was extremely rude and the place was a zoo.

I was there for two months and dreaded going to work.

I told OT I didn't want to continue the assignment, is was on Friday. She asked would I stay for two more weeks(like a two week notice), I agreed since this was only my 2nd assignment with them.

Well she never told the employer I was leaving, I said something about a week later when the supervisor was rude again. I said "well this is my last week anyway".

I then get a nasty VM from the OT rep about how she has to damage control(like she is Hilary Clinton) because she NEVER told them I was leaving. Well whose fault is that?

Someone tells you they can't stand the assignment but they agree to stick it out two more weeks, you address the issue.

I said "I told on such and such a date( a Friday) I was done an we agreed to a two week notice, not my problem if you didn't inform them".

They have a very seedy way of handling business.

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

49 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: Well the problem is most agencies including OT are staffed by 20 somethings who don't have a clue.

And 25 seems to be the new 16 these days.

As I said if she had just said "I'm sorry I made a mistake on the salary". Instead of lying about it.

I didn't act that way when I was in my 20s in the work environment.

That doesn't seem to be the norm today.

I agree with the above. Robert Half (division of Office Team) is completely worse and I think they blacklisted me. One of these 'recruiters' calls me periodically out of the blue and there first question is "How is your job search going" without any real introduction or anything. Then I register, told what a great background I have and then nothing OR they tell me I am already in their system from 2005. I even got accused of omitting a job that they said I put on the resume they have in 'their database' from 2004??
Many of these recruiters have no industry experience in the field that they are supposedly recruiting in and obviously communication skills, interpersonal skills & just basic courtesy is foreign to many in this younger generation (those under 30).

48 months ago

I have dealt with Robert Half as well. Not very professional.

I agree there is a lack of manners and they don't know how to deal with people.

I had a few good assignments with OT, but they were extended because of my work ethic alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.