OFFICE TEAM TAKES MORE THAN 50% OF THE PAY!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Dan in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

Did you know that Office Team takes more than 50% of what you are being paid as an employee? If you are being paid $10.00/hr., they are charging around $24 to the client!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in West Sacramento, California

98 months ago

Dan in Denver, Colorado said: Did you know that Office Team takes more than 50% of what you are being paid as an employee? If you are being paid $10.00/hr., they are charging around $24 to the client!!!

Actually, I used to work there. The markup is a MINIMUM of 69%. So, if you make $10.00/hr they charge $16.90. Believe me when I say I am not defending them (last thing I would do), but there are expenses such as unemployment ins., taxes, etc. But RHI as a rule is known for having the highest markups in the industry. Believe it or not, Officeteam has the lowest among the RHI divisions. The technology division and the Greative Group is through the roof.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Torre in Littleton, Colorado

98 months ago

Thanks. Good info. More fuel to STAY AWAY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tech Guy in Brookfield, Illinois

98 months ago

Whats the big deal about their markup?

They have their expenses to consider. Think about the number of applicants they recieve that they have to process (whether or not they are qualified or are able to be placed into jobs).

They also have full time office staffs, office spaces, payroll expenses, etc. Those things have to be paid for somehow. You are not paying them for placing you in a job, their services are essentially free to you (other than your expenses in getting there or whatever, but the point is you don't write them a check for anything).

So how else would they exist and stay in business? They take money from the companies they place you with.

Markup is a little misleading, it implies that their cost is $10/hour (paying you) and the rest is gravy. The fact of the matter is if you take all their expenses and divide it by the number of hours their candidates work they probably have expenses of tens of dollars per hour per employee.

Its not to say they dont make a profit, afterall this is America, but still, this is their only real source of revenue. It certainly is no reason to stay away from them nor does it make them bad people. If you want to stay away, not a problem, you can look for a job elsewhere (no one is making you use them), but this is not a valid reason to do so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

well meaning in Freeland, Maryland

98 months ago

Outstanding point. I work for an agency. We have some of the highest markups in the business, and our profit margins really are cents on the dollar.

2nd point- "If you are being paid $10.00/hr., they are charging around $24 to the client!!!"-
$24 is a 240% mark up from $10.

3rd point- stop coming to staffing agencies if they are so bad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

job seeker in Sammamish, Washington

98 months ago

Dan in Denver, Colorado said: Did you know that Office Team takes more than 50% of what you are being paid as an employee? If you are being paid $10.00/hr., they are charging around $24 to the client!!!

I understand your frustration and surprise if this is the first you've learned of this, but ALL agencies have a mark-up, it's how they stay in business. It's part of why I won't use them. But consider this: Even when you get hired direct to a company (without an agency, etc.) the company that hires you pays about 40% of your salary to various things like unemployment tax, benefits, etc. and that percentage can be higher or lower depending on where you work. So, say you make $20,000 a year - your company actually pays about $28,000 or more to employ you. Just food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

job seeker in Sammamish, Washington

98 months ago

Do you enjoy being used? in Denver, Colorado said: It's best to BYPASS the agencies completely. Why put a middleman between you and a job?

Amen to that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

OfficeTeam Pro in Pleasanton, California

98 months ago

well meaning in Freeland, Maryland said: Outstanding point. I work for an agency. We have some of the highest markups in the business, and our profit margins really are cents on the dollar.

2nd point- "If you are being paid $10.00/hr., they are charging around $24 to the client!!!"-
$24 is a 240% mark up from $10.

3rd point- stop coming to staffing agencies if they are so bad

This person is right on point. Do you expect people to work for FREE. Give these guys a break...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

A happy candidate in Pleasanton, California

97 months ago

A little about OfficeTeam people probably dont understand. Walk in to any other staffing agency and then walk in to OfficeTeam. The difference you see is Professionalism. Everyone is dressed in a suit not in jeans and a polo. That is the first thing I noticed. Plus even if they do charge companies a higher fee, they also seem to pay more hourly to us candidates than any other agency. So go work for another service if you want to make less. I'm very impressed with OfficeTeam and they do offer the service to us for FREE and they offer FREE online training with hundreds of programs you normally have to go to school for. So like said before, give them a break!!! Plus they keep in touch with you once you are placed on an assignment to keep in touch and follow your progress. We all know everyone is going to be pleased, as that is how our world works. But I'm happy and that is all that matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie in Earlville, Pennsylvania

97 months ago

Don't know where you got the idea about making less working for other agencies. Office Team usually paid me about $10 an hour for "administrative" work (read data entry). I am currently working for Randstad at $13.85 an hour, not wealth-making by any means, but certainly a lot more than Office Team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

in the valley in Pleasanton, California

97 months ago

pay also depends on your location. in california, if you work in the bay area of course you are going to make 4-7 dollars more per hour, but i live in the valley so our pay is different. have to take that into consideration. i dont know why people complain though, if you want to complain, go complain in the unemployment line and dont work with a service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Apply for jobs directly with companies in Denver, Colorado

97 months ago

in the valley in Pleasanton, California said: pay also depends on your location. in california, if you work in the bay area of course you are going to make 4-7 dollars more per hour, but i live in the valley so our pay is different. have to take that into consideration. i dont know why people complain though, if you want to complain, go complain in the unemployment line and dont work with a service.

What a joke! Do you think that employment agencies are the only way to get a job? They are actually the WORST WAY to try to find a job. you obviously work for that sleazy company Office Team!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John Littleton, Colorado in Denver, Colorado

97 months ago

in the valley in Pleasanton, California said: pay also depends on your location. in california, if you work in the bay area of course you are going to make 4-7 dollars more per hour, but i live in the valley so our pay is different. have to take that into consideration. i dont know why people complain though, if you want to complain, go complain in the unemployment line and dont work with a service.

Stupid comment! Most job seekers will not get a job through an agency as the agency doesn't have all the jobs they post as they are fake ads designed to collect resumes to call the employers. Agencies even admit they only PLACE ABOUT 2% OF THE PEOPLE WHO WALK THRU THEIR DOORS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

perfunctified in Cleveland, Ohio

94 months ago

OfficeTeam's mark-up is minimum of 68% but they usually shoot between 70-72% mark-up. Trust me, not a super lot when it comes to administrative jobs. And professionalism? Yeah, sure thing. It's like being back in high school working with those people. A competition for "who's the most popular. who's the most beautiful. who's the most annoying!" runs rampant through that environment.

I think agencies can benefit you if you have no experience and are looking to gain some. However, know what your skills are and what you can really do and find agencies that will actually HELP you!! It doesn't matter if they're wearing a suit or jeans, it's the people that want to actually invest in helping you that will be the ones who make the best impression. I'm sorry, OfficeTeam doesn't make that impression... and funny thing --- some of the temps make more money/hr than the actual staffing professionals!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mattie in Littleton, Colorado

90 months ago

A happy candidate in Pleasanton, California said: A little about OfficeTeam people probably dont understand. Walk in to any other staffing agency and then walk in to OfficeTeam. The difference you see is Professionalism. Everyone is dressed in a suit not in jeans and a polo. That is the first thing I noticed. Plus even if they do charge companies a higher fee, they also seem to pay more hourly to us candidates than any other agency. So go work for another service if you want to make less. I'm very impressed with OfficeTeam and they do offer the service to us for FREE and they offer FREE online training with hundreds of programs you normally have to go to school for. So like said before, give them a break!!! Plus they keep in touch with you once you are placed on an assignment to keep in touch and follow your progress. We all know everyone is going to be pleased, as that is how our world works. But I'm happy and that is all that matters.

This gal from Pleasanton, CA WORKS FOR OFFICE TEAM! Stop posting you fraud!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

T in Sacramento, California

40 months ago

Pay for a temp gig usually depends on the employee's skills and the type of work the agency's client needs. If it's mindless work (such as I did for one day in December where I folded t-shirts for 8 hours), it's not going to pay much; that job paid me $8/hour! BUT ... less than a week later, OfficeTeam contacted me about a 2-month gig at a local hospital (where I've worked for the last 2 weeks) and it pays $16/hour!

An agency is going to bill their client considerably more than they pay you; that's just how it works! One of the places I temped several years ago gave me the opportunity to see what they were paying for my skills. I was earning $14/hour and the agency (NOT OfficeTeam) was billing them nearly $30/hour. I may have rolled my eyes a bit, but I didn't complain because I was happy to be working!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

40 months ago

why on EARTH would any company need a temp agency, now? they can just pay $9/hr directly, and if you don't want to work for that then you don't work there...SOMEone will take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

I did the OfficeTeam route years ago, was totally disappointed by the pay, and the lies.

Nowadays with Craigslist, Indeed.com, etc., you really don't need an agency. Also, Pennsylvania has a govenment-run job finder called CareerLink, I've gotten three very good temporary jobs through that. I don't even bother with agencies anymore, especially not OfficeTeam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shkoda in New York, New York

34 months ago

Dan in Denver, Colorado said: Did you know that Office Team takes more than 50% of what you are being paid as an employee? If you are being paid $10.00/ hr ., they are charging around $24 to the client!!!

Office team is part of Robert Half. Robert Half takes more than 50% of what a client pays for my services. They are parasites to the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

NoTemp in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Dan in Denver, Colorado said: Did you know that Office Team takes more than 50% of what you are being paid as an employee? If you are being paid $10.00/ hr ., they are charging around $24 to the client!!!

Guys... The obvious thing to do here is to go direct to the companies. The only reason companies like to use these agencies is because it is EASY. They dont have to do any work. All they do is pick up the phone and boom they have a whole list of candidates to choice from. I worked for a temp company for a few months and was later hired by the company I did temp work for.

What you need to do is contact a BUNCH of companies on the off chance that they are looking for an employee but just never got around to posting up a job ad. This is called the Hidden Job Market. Look at www.jobunlocker.com they have a method to get you connected with the decision makers. Contact the CEOs before they call a temp agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

You people are idiots in Dallas, Texas

12 months ago

John Littleton, Colorado in Denver, Colorado said: Stupid comment! Most job seekers will not get a job through an agency as the agency doesn't have all the jobs they post as they are fake ads designed to collect resumes to call the employers. Agencies even admit they only PLACE ABOUT 2% OF THE PEOPLE WHO WALK THRU THEIR DOORS!

I've been more readily/steadily/consistently employed through OFFICETEAM than through ANY of the 19 other staffing agencies i've gone through. I'm not advertising for them but do some TRUE research before you bash a company. You people are OBVIOUSLY clueless about this one.

EVERYONE marksup their prices. EVERYONE, IN EVERY COMPANY, IN EVERY INDUSTRY IN EXISTENCE. Careful, your stupidity is showing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

evidentbycause in Albert Lea, Minnesota

9 months ago

I think the underlining issue remain within staffing industries is the lack of accountability. The inflation rate and render their ploys to deceive you into believing the nature of this industry benefits individuals whom temp through these agencies warrants the questions within staffing agencies and their clientele. Just as stocks intend to sway back and forth so do temps that flow through agencies. When business is slow, clientele that hire these agencies will contract temps that flow through agencies. Like a sheep in a herd, temps are utilized to avoid undesirable outcomes per clientele most often. Staffing Agencies don't have their contacted employees best interest at heart. It's all about profitable gains and temps are utilized as a stock and trade investment. Whereas clientele becomes the staffing agencies primary objective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.