What's the company culture at Oldcastle?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Oldcastle?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Oldcastle?

Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Middlesex, New Jersey

88 months ago

Oldcastle is a conglomeration of small to medium sized companies, most of which were originally family owned businesses, each with its own personality and culture. Corporate Oldcastle is a small group of accountants and financial types. When puchased by Oldcastle the original ownership remains for a period to run the operation. As long as the business is profitable, Oldcastle imposes very little of its culture, policies, and standards. They make the noise of a large corporation in the area of ethics and valuing their employees, but when push comes to shove... They close both eyes when an operation is profitable. They list and publicize the following "5 Daily Production Fundamentals" in the order of priority: Safety, Quality, Profitability, Productivity, and Housekeeping, yet most decisions are based upon the 3rd and 4th ones listed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blockdoc in Ohio

85 months ago

RJ in Middlesex, New Jersey said: Oldcastle is a conglomeration of small to medium sized companies, most of which were originally family owned businesses, each with its own personality and culture. Corporate Oldcastle is a small group of accountants and financial types. When puchased by Oldcastle the original ownership remains for a period to run the operation. As long as the business is profitable, Oldcastle imposes very little of its culture, policies, and standards. They make the noise of a large corporation in the area of ethics and valuing their employees, but when push comes to shove... They close both eyes when an operation is profitable. They list and publicize the following "5 Daily Production Fundamentals" in the order of priority: Safety, Quality, Profitability, Productivity, and Housekeeping, yet most decisions are based upon the 3rd and 4th ones listed.

RJ, While I would fully agree with the first 75% of your post, I would take excetion to the latter part based on my experiences with CRH. I was under different regional management than what you would have been (assuming N.J.). Recently larger corporations have been forced (economicly) to concentrate on work place hazards and safety. I believe most in the masonry manufacturing industry are trying to practice what they preach.(Safety #1).

Oh, BTW, I am not employed by CRH. I was, however, roughly 5 yrs. ago, and they treated me VERY well.

Peace
blockdoc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wdmann26 in New Haven, Connecticut

78 months ago

I used to work for Old Castle Glass in Cheshire, CT. making deliveries. I worked there for 3 months and got out of there as fast as I could. I should have known better to go onboard with them when they were trying to start me off with $13 hr. but we came to $15.50 before hire date. Mind you I'm Class A w/ 3 years experience. My dispatcher had NO concept of D.O.T. rules and regulations because he was giving me 18+ stops a day and it was taking me well over 15 hours to do them. I told him I could only do 14 hours on duty and he says to me " who told you that". They claimed to be big on safety but they send you out solo to deliver 50x90 insul. units weighing 225 lbs with no one at the shop because they're all out on jobs. Then they expect YOU to notify the customer to make arrangements or try to handle it with a suction cup. In short, my experience with this company was not beneficial and if you are looking for employment with this particular branch I would advise you to continue your search elsewhere.

I'm out!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carefulwiththeseguys in Ohio

59 months ago

I worked at Oldcastle Precast for a while as skilled trade. Safety was my biggest issue for leaving. If you take a job with them, be very careful! Don't let the mission statement fool you. Maximized profit is the objective and these guys are not afraid to cut corners on safety!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymously in Chandler, Arizona

24 months ago

I can best way do not even go there,go to concretejob.com ,concrete associates industry employment agency and set your self up with him he will walk you thru and show you the ropes,the concrete industryis dog eat dog world and you need a buffer and he good at what he does highly recomened. Good Lock

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

20 yrs exp in Tampa, Florida

15 months ago

I have now been at Oldcastle 6 years, and I was with the company 4 years before they took over. I have done the same exact work for over twenty years, but have no prospect for advancement here, and was in fact demoted a year ago. Many comments here, regarding the companies hypocritical worker protection policies, are true. Unaffected, demeaning, and crude people manage this place now, and are themselves made to follow a one size fits all business model that will close the doors here when enough of our customers have had enough of our incompetent slow service, and flawed products. Hourly employees are treated like the proverbial 'red headed step child' at all times. No loyalty. No flexibility, and threats of retaliation for any miss step whatsoever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.