Orkin News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Orkin stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Las Vegas, Nevada

90 months ago

Orkin has had a history of high turn-over with their techs.The company treats their techs like crap and now force the techs to sign a 2 year contract with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

Greg in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Orkin has had a history of high turn-over with their techs.The company treats their techs like crap and now force the techs to sign a 2 year contract with them.

Actually, Orkin has a good turnover rate with their employees compared to other National or large Regional Pest Control firms. You do not sign a two year "contract". You hire a non-compete covenant that does not allow you to go to another company and solicit your old Orkin customers. Shouldn't be a problem if you are legitimately going to start a career and if you leave have honorable intentions. Seems like you have some "sour grapes" Greg. You get fired????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I am aware of at least 1 employee here in Vegas that stated that he was forced to sign a 2 year contract with Orkin. All companies now a days have non compete clauses. I left Orkin in 94 to move to Vegas. Have been in pest control for 18 years with 2 principals license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

I have left Orkin (twice) and own a franchise. Six licenses and 26 years. Only a standard two year non-compete. No such thing as a "contract". In some of the International Franchises, it is required. Promise you, not something Orkin or any other large company wants to get involved in as a "contract" is a two way street. If you left in 94, you know, both good and bad aspects of the company. For some it is a great opportunity, for others, it's better to strike out on your own and buy a franchise or start your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

steve-13 in Charlotte, North Carolina

87 months ago

Orkin is still requiring the 2 year no compete...but i believe there are certain ways around it....you guys know anything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

When you say no compete, do you mean soliciting customers or working for another company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

The no-compete is for soliciting customers by either leaving the company and starting your own PC business or switching to another company and trying to get your previous customers to switch. But I believe that if your customer call and cancel their existing agreement with orkin they can then contact you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

This is always an issue and why such companies don't like to lose PC techs...high cxl's usually follow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Raymond Jones in culleoka, Tennessee

67 months ago

Orkin's culture varies by office, I started in Pontiac, MI and the atmosphere was high stress and uncomfortable. I was earning 37,000 per year. I then transferred to Nashville, TN and things were totally different, very laid back atmosphere and pay was much higher I earned just under 60,000 per year there. I was talked into becoming the manager in Chattanooga, TN and found out this was one of the company's worst offices. Technicians worked 12 hours a for 35,000 a year, the most stressful environment I have ever worked in! So you can't paint a company with a broad brush, it all depends who is in charge in your local office. I now work for Arrow Exterminators and thoroughly enjoy the company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xpest tech

19 months ago

Pest and lawn care are a dreadful industry period the pay stinks plus super long hours I've done it for 16 years good to a better company like costco or cummins you'll notice on 25 best companies you'll never see a single pest control I am now leaving that dreadful industry for good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.