What's the company culture at Orkin?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Orkin?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Orkin?

Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Las Vegas, Nevada

90 months ago

Techs and sales in uniforms, most techs want nothing to do with compnay after hours. Techs have set customers to service, they work until all customers are done.
Company doesn't trust techs and forced to sign two your contract with company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Raymond Jones in culleoka, Tennessee

67 months ago

I see you are in Knoxville, TN, this is one of their best offices. The pay there is high and the atmosphere is relaxed. You may also want to try Arrow Exterminators, I left Orkin to work there and enjoy the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy Ladybug in Delmar, Delaware

63 months ago

Raymond Jones in culleoka, Tennessee said: I see you are in Knoxville, TN, this is one of their best offices. The pay there is high and the atmosphere is relaxed. You may also want to try Arrow Exterminators, I left Orkin to work there and enjoy the company.

Raymond: I hope you can help with this question. We you able to immediately go and work for Arrow after leaving Orkin or did any non-compete prevent you to do so for a certain time period?

We are on the East Coast. Hubby wants to leave Orkin (Serv. Mgr.) and start our own pest mgmt. company. However, believe he signed non-compete and we may not be able to do it in our geographical area for a certain time period, like 2 yrs. That's not good.
Anyhow, thanks alot!!

Sandy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Raymond Jones in culleoka, Tennessee

62 months ago

I have been told by many people who have quit orkin that the non compete is just so you do not solicit their customers. I haven't had any trouble, but i wouoldn't call on any of their customers just in case. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandy Ladybug in Delmar, Delaware

62 months ago

Thanks Raymond so much for your reply. So you actually worked for Orkin and then left to start your own pest control company? Do you remember signing a non-compete? So they have not bothered you?
Assume you are working in the same area that you did when you worked for them?

I have contacted an attorney. I am a legal assistant, plus 30 yrs. Needed to speak to one in DE however. And he said we need to get a copy of the non-compete my husband signed.

I truly believe he signed something to the effect - "not to start a business OR work for another competitor for 2 years". I am just afraid of the consequences. We are/were so excited to start our small-family owned. Just the two of us for now. We are not trying to hurt Orkin. We just want to provide good customer service and make a comfortable living for ourselves. This may be our last window of opportunity, as we are not young chickens. 50 and 57 yr. Young?

Anyhow, sorry to ramble on. Just nice to be able to connect to someone who has been there and done that!!

Sandy (still Ladybug) Honess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tyrone Shanks in Lithonia, Georgia

5 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Orkin?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Orkin?

I worked at the call center in Covington, GA. Guys had to wear slacks, a button down, and a tie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tyrone Shanks in Lithonia, Georgia

5 months ago

Tyrone Shanks in Lithonia, Georgia said: I worked at the call center in Covington, GA. Guys had to wear slacks, a button down, and a tie.

When I worked there in 2013, I was informed the company had one of its better years in residential pest control sales. Yet, the environment was very hostile to representatives. I had a good sales year. I scheduled over a 100K monthly, and my appointments that resulted into service did increase during my tenure. I was not welcomed back.

People were terminated routinely. People attended a 4 week training. Then they hit the call center floor where his or her call was reviewed to determine if he or she was going to be able to remain. I felt the scores were not always reflected of the call. They always found calls where one would receive an automatic fail. People would take a lot of calls during a shift. People were targeted. The grading of the calls did not match any of the grade sheets. They critic people very harshly.

It is no union to my knowledge for phone operators or labor laws to limit the number of calls that a representative can take in a certain time frame. People are not machines. People bring a lot to the table. It is incredible how much some folk are than others when they form teams that can get money to service the world. It is illegal how their staff engages in economic war.

I was not call backed and I was not rewarded or acknowledged for things accomplished. I was acknowledged for perfect attendance. I was paid for a large portion of my sales. Yet, I was not paid for setting up autopay. It was an arbitrary reason for the refusal to pay.

The sales managers took no responsibility for any mishap. The sales It was the sales staff were idiots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.