How to get a job at Penske.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

Do you work at Penske? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

momcilo vasiljevic in Hartville, Ohio

98 months ago

I HEED DRIVING JOB IN THIS COMPANY I HAVE COMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE CLASS A MOMCILO VASILJEVIC 1392B MEDINA RD.MEDINA OH 44256

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rare Jewel in Alton, Illinois

92 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Penske? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

My hubby has worked at Penske in St. Louis, MO for 12 years now. As far as I know, and how it's always gone, you have to know someone in the company in order to know when there are positions open, either for 618's (six-eighteens = which is basically "truck cleaners", inside and out..entry level, pays less, approx. $10/hr) or for 777 ("triple 777s = diesel mechanics) Hubby started out at entry level and then switched over..took classes..and worked up. He now has a journeyman's card and can pretty much find another job if something happens to this one. We are grateful for the experience and training he has received while working for the company. They are union and make a nice wage. By the next contract he will be up to $26/hr. That's not bad for a boy who came from nothing...parents were poor...he moved out on his own at 17yrs old, working at Taco Bell..then a Domino's Pizza delivery guy to a "grease monkey" at Valvoline Instant Oil Change (working up to a manager position in 6 months, worked 7 yrs)..then this job. He's worked hard and nothing was "handed" to him, but Penske is a great place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SierraC777 in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Penske? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Hi, I interviewed for a job at Penske as an executive assistant but I am still awaiting an answer as to whether or not I got the job. I have a Masters in Public Administration degree. In order to find Penske jobs its fairly easy. I got some inside advice- go to PTLcareers.com set up an account and apply for any positions you want even if the date is older. They notified me by mail that they got my information but I never got notified after my interview.

Jason

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mevins31 in Columbus, Ohio

87 months ago

I am begging you, please do not work for this company. I've never seen such low workplace morale or so many unhappy people in my life. Please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

taxman in Reading, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

I fully agree. Thought I would give it a try since it was close to home. Started out okay, but slowly got weirder. Morale is very low and most people are unhappy. At least at the corporate office - maybe field is different. There are some who are happy - not many, but some. The few who like it follow the place like a cult - you know who they are because they have the Penske Race jackets, license plates, lunch boxes, key chaines, etc...

I was in a department of 8 people (highly skilled), but it was like a revolving door - every 24 months the staf turned.

Glad to be outta there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Scanga in Mesa, Arizona

85 months ago

Mevins31 couldn't be farther from the truth! I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio so I could understand how morale could be low in parts of the country where the economy is suffering, however, here in Phoenix, AZ Penske is on top, and we plan to keep it that way.

Everyday when I log in to my work email I have messages of encouragement from my district rental manager. In this district, we are a well-oiled machine, and because of this we do well. Morale is high and so is our revenue. I have worked for several other companies since obtaining my bachelors degree and I by far enjoy working for Penske moreso than any other company I have worked for in the past. Great company, union wages, great co-workers, great benefits, it really is the ultimate company to work for in regards to the working middle-class citizen.

I got my job by being close friends with someone else who had already been employed by Penske, however I know that we are constantly hiring out here in the desert of Arizona...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Mevins31 in Columbus, Ohio

84 months ago

John

Are you an RMT? I said no untruths. I'll give you one thing, Arizona is probably better working conditions than here in Ohio. Coming from an office job; to working outside everyday all day in minus 10 degree weather and ruining two pairs of dress shoes in 5 months from being forced to slosh around in a soggy, slush filled parking lot is probably a bit different than what you are used to in the desert in Arizona. But don't you tell me that what I said couldn't be further from the truth. I have no reason to lie. EVERYTHING I said was true and I probably even left out a few things, like the fact I was expected to work on christmas eve, new years eve, new years day. I don't know how I did it. Let me tell you something; the reason I'm excelling at my job I have now and kicking everyone else's butt? Because I've got perspective. I've worked at the dead end dump that is Penske Truck Leasing. It was hell. You might have your own opinions, but don't go saying mine aren't true. You're full of crap yourself if you think that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

FullServiceSally in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Mevins,
John's full of it. <content removed> Emails of encouragement every morning? Gag me. Well oiled machine? You're a perfectly brain washed little soldier aren't ya John?
Anyways, I worked for PAG in California for about a year. When I was transferred between stores, they cut my pay considerably. Then a few months later, I was laid off. Apparently it was due to seniority. However, I out ranked 2 others in my dept. and I was the only one who was laid off. They (corporate) claimed it was seniority per store, not continued service in PAG. WHAT?
I was the only girl in parts dept. that worked in the shop. I out did the men in my dept. but at the end of the day, I was the one who got laid off when it came time. I had emails written to management in my defense and all were shot down.
So John, this is PAG. They work you sick, cut your pay and lay you off all while it's "company policy". Keep oiling that machine John.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Curtis M in Reading, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I have worked at penske for a year...its okay. John is overselling it because he knows that management are looking at this.

Its a good company with a good rep.

As far as all the crybabies from Penske Auto Group.... your selling cars. Its different than penske trucks and I dont know much about them other than some buddies that work at beemer..... They love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

nocoffeeforme in Schenectady, New York

73 months ago

I worked at Penske for almost 3 years. I was also laid off and had higher rake then some other people but it didn't matter. I got paid more. I had lost a lot of my faith in Penske when I had a troubled manager but nothing was done because he b-sed with the big guys. I worked my butt off for almost a whole month(21 days straight) with not even a thank you. i have to say the over time was great but that is the only thing that made the job worth having. After they took that away it was awful. I also had to drive 180 miles/day for weeks to work at another location and was giving .35 a mile. i put almost 3000 miles on my car for them without even being offered a company car to drive. god forbid one of the mangers doesn't have one for a week. anyway, i loved penske but it soon turned to hate and i always said i would never recommend anyone to work there..not even for the pay i got.

good luck in your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

penske not for you in anywhere NY US

68 months ago

I worked for penske for three years as well. Started off great, def a high paying career, but this job isnt about how hard you work, or how well you do, its about who you know and who you are friends with. My suggestion to you is this: If you are a great ass kisser and dont mind working 60+ hours a week this is the perfect job for you. If you dont kiss ass, and talk about people behind their back you might want to search elsewhere. Of course i am sure this extends beyond penske and is just how large corporations are in general.

Pros: Good benefits, good pay, free rental trucks.
Cons: You marry your job, and you have to sell your soul to get anywhere with the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

pinki tech in beverly hills, California

68 months ago

FullServiceSally in San Diego, California said: Mevins,
John's full of it. <content removed> Emails of encouragement every morning? Gag me. Well oiled machine? You're a perfectly brain washed little soldier aren't ya John?
Anyways, I worked for PAG in California for about a year. When I was transferred between stores, they cut my pay considerably. Then a few months later, I was laid off. Apparently it was due to seniority. However, I out ranked 2 others in my dept. and I was the only one who was laid off. They (corporate) claimed it was seniority per store, not continued service in PAG. WHAT?
I was the only girl in parts dept. that worked in the shop. I out did the men in my dept. but at the end of the day, I was the one who got laid off when it came time. I had emails written to management in my defense and all were shot down.
So John, this is PAG. They work you sick, cut your pay and lay you off all while it's "company policy". Keep oiling that machine John.

I'm sorry this happened to you and brings up a big hurt in me, my daughter who can also outthink and outwork any men was out of work in the realestate finance market, so I talked to service manager since he was hiring a parts "men" and he was reluctant to even interview her, my daughter told me it was the worst expireince of her life.

later I asked the service manager what went wrong, his reply was we don't hire women for the shop, it would be a "distraction".

I could not get my daughter to sue the hell out of them, since then the service manager "quit' another company ufimism , i later found out from a driver that came into the shop that his wife had worked at the main Los Angeles shop and filed a sexual harrasment suit aginst him and the company.

my daughter has found employment and is happy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pinki tech in beverly hills, California

68 months ago

penske not for you in anywhere NY US said: I worked for penske for three years as well. Started off great, def a high paying career, but this job isnt about how hard you work, or how well you do, its about who you know and who you are friends with. My suggestion to you is this: If you are a great ass kisser and dont mind working 60+ hours a week this is the perfect job for you. If you dont kiss ass, and talk about people behind their back you might want to search elsewhere. Of course i am sure this extends beyond penske and is just how large corporations are in general.

Pros: Good benefits, good pay, free rental trucks.
Cons: You marry your job, and you have to sell your soul to get anywhere with the company.

I can tell you did work there. SOP . at least we have the Teamsters Union to protect our backs and get the pay and benefits the company would NEVER give us otherwise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

billeesy in Canton, Michigan

39 months ago

I worked for Penske for 6.5 years. I never once saw a happy employee. I was one of the least happiest but I stayed because I thought the pay and benefits was good. I saw some very dirty and low life managers. The one that really stands out is the manager who found my resume on monster.com and had the audacity to come and threaten me telling me to take it off or else. I was working for the logistics side of the business in Ford plants. I was moved around because I complained about injustices. I than became blacklisted because I complained. Don't expect help from HR because they will stick it to you if you look to them for help. The last place I was "moved to" I was at for 4 years. They had to lay someone off because of the economy and it was me, rather than the men or women on the opposite shift who had only been with the company for 6 months, 1.5 years, 2 years, etc.. but me. I rejected an offer to be moved again and then was let go. What a joke of a company. No loyalty and not a very ethical or moral outfit. Every person I met there had their own little horror stories of Penske but I think mine was the worst of all of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

billeesy in Canton, Michigan

39 months ago

pinki tech in beverly hills, California said: I'm sorry this happened to you and brings up a big hurt in me, my daughter who can also outthink and outwork any men was out of work in the realestate finance market, so I talked to service manager since he was hiring a parts "men" and he was reluctant to even interview her, my daughter told me it was the worst expireince of her life.

later I asked the service manager what went wrong, his reply was we don't hire women for the shop, it would be a "distraction".

I could not get my daughter to sue the hell out of them, since then the service manager "quit' another company ufimism , i later found out from a driver that came into the shop that his wife had worked at the main Los Angeles shop and filed a sexual harrasment suit aginst him and the company.

my daughter has found employment and is happy

Id love to see Penske sued, they definitely deserve it for everything I have seen and for youre story as well. I worked at Ford plant and Ford was the customer. A Ford worker decided to harass me because he didnt like the fact that I got hired. It was my first month on the job and he called my desk phone, hollering all kinds of obscenities at me and telling me to quit because he wanted a good lookin woman to be at my desk. He did this everyday for the longest time. When I complained to Penske they said to quit if I dont like it. They realized I wasnt going to go away so they offered to move me into a position that they knew they were about to eliminate so if I took it I would be laid off within a few months. I was smarter than that and declined so I had to live with the harassment. This was living nightmare. I shouldve sued Penske but I had know way to prove that they knew they were eliminating that position they offered to move me to. All I know is that in about 4 months they got rid of half the staff where they were going to move me and I for sure would been gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FullServiceSally in San Diego, California

39 months ago

At this point, I would love to see Penske sued as well. I was actually brought back (since my original post) to only get "laid off" again. Same game, different day. The dead weights who I out ranked still got to keep their jobs while I lost mine. When I heard that they were hiring for my position, I contacted HR. The head of HR said said "Who do you think we are GM?" When I asked him why I was the only one laid off he said "no you were terminated" Funny, how my paperwork said "laid off". It's totally true what was said above: "it's not a matter of how hard you work, it's a matter of who you're buddies are". One day I told my manager that I had been there for 7 hours without a break and I needed to eat, that I was getting queasy. Instead he made me move transmissions before i could go to lunch. I finally passed out due to low blood sugar. He stood over me saying "I guess you can't hack it?" and walked off. He literally made my life a living hell. I tried telling the GM of these situations and that some shady stuff was going on in parts dept. Special order parts with no paper work, inventory completely off and over looked etc. I am happy to report that finally the asst parts manager and the parts manager were both fired within a couple months of each other. Asst was fired for theft after 19 years and Manager for basically being a crappy manager after 27 years. But no one listened to me, I was just the dumb girl in parts dept.
I contacted an attorney regarding discrimination. He said in California it's all "at will employment" and said "Good luck trying to find an attorney who will go against Penske" I should've gotten a hold of the ACLU and said "it's because I'm a woman and I'm white" and let them run with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

billeesy in Dearborn, Michigan

39 months ago

Your story sounds similar to mine. Before I was let go I was asked if I would like to go to another plant to work. I asked if I stayed where I was, could I keep my job. The answer I got was yes of course you could keep your job. We do have to eliminate 2 people but we do things like this by senority, so the lowest senority will be let go. I had 2nd to highest senority so I told them I would stay where I was. On the day that they were going to let the 2 lowest senority people go, I came to work like any other day and wasnt let in the plant. My lowlife manager was standing there and said this is your last day and that the HR manager wanted to speak with me at the other door. I cussed them all out and told them what I really felt about all of them. I told them to stick the severance pay up their butts. The HR manager said that he felt bad because I wasnt told before hand that it was my last day so he offered me a position doing a dispatch job. After all the Bull I had put through I turned him down because I was through with Penske and the 6.5 years of crap I went through. I have tons of stories of crap. I went to a lawyer also, and they told me the same that it was an "at will" employer so I couldnt sue. If I was in congress I make it a law to lay off people by senority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

25 months ago

Gahanna location in Ohio is a dictatorship - no real management skill anywhere to be found. Negative work environment to say the least. They treat each other terribly and god help you if you are a new employee. They expect 1 person to do the job of 3. STAY AWAY!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.