PetSmart issues with salon associates

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

littlegroomergirl in Winnipeg, Manitoba

31 months ago

I have been a groomer with petsmart in canada for a little over a year. I guess what I am hoping for here is perhaps some insight on what can be done about an employee in the salon who is constantly disregarding P&P with regards to how animals are treated and handled, harassing co-workers, no-shows for work and is late constantly and when questioned pulls the medical card. This person is bad and needs to be dealt with but even thought she has had multiple "warnings" and "final write-ups" she is still employed here. My salon manager has apologized and has suggested calling our care smart line because she has fought all she can with the store mgrs and the DM to get something done. Our store is really new, this is our third year being open and i am fairly certain most of the mgrs in the store don't really know what they are doing. I have been in management roles with previous jobs and there is no way i would have tolerated her behavior. Just to give you an idea, this woman is 52 years old and does not live a healthy lifestyle. she is a breeder and a show person who comes from and "old school" way of grooming. Just last week a 6mth old newfie pup had a muzzle on for 2 hours straight not because he was aggressive but to stop him from barking. The muzzle was too small and the pups eyes were red and bulging by the end from stress. The managers did nothing when they saw it. She routinely uses blue leads to hang dogs on the table if they are moving too much. small tiny little pups in for first groom are velocity dried and screaming and flailing in terror. she talks down to all the bathers who are all good kids who work very hard for their crappy pay check. I am just fed up. I love everything else about my job but this. I am unfortunately on an academy contract so I dont have the option of leaving, only the option to try and get through to corperate and I have heard that calling the care smart line ends up back firing on you in the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

30 months ago

That is just awful and if it is the case is not acceptable at PetSmart! However, things like this do require some investigation. Your first course of action would be to ask your store manager to set aside some time to talk with you in the office. Voice your concerns and what you have seen. If that doesn't do it for you or you are uncomfortable then you can talk to the DM. On the poster in your break room you should have the name of an HR person that is directly below that of the DM. You can call this person as well and generally get better results than calling caresmart directly. You can also ask that they keep it anonymous. Here is the thing... Following chain of command is a big deal, but you also need to do what is right for the pets. Sometimes, however, things are being dealt with but associates can not know all of the details for privacy reasons. Reach out and let your store manager, DM &/or HR person know and it will be investigated thoroughly. P&P is always importiant to follow, especially when dealing with live animals. I never want to have to make the call that we have injured or mistreated someones pet...and i am sure your managers feel the same way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

30 months ago

The HR person is not below the DM in the heirarchy but is below him on the poster in the breakroom. It is there job to investigate things like this and whenever they have gotten involved with things I have known about the outcome was appropriate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.