I was hired as a trainer...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

trainer gone cashier in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

I was extended the opp. to become a trainer for a new store opening... I was sent to training to become a trainer... all of the sudden I was pulled out of training and placed as a cashier... 2 weeks after the store was opened I was let go because of job cutting going on... cooperate didn't give the store enough hrs to pay me... so I was left high and dry with no work... and I'm still looking for employeement... couldn't get unemployeement either due to the lack of time within the company... so think about this...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Courtenay in Northbrook, Illinois

86 months ago

Can you tell me about the 80 hour training program, how is it structured? Five 8 hour days? I am interviewing for the trainer position and I work full time. I was told the training classes with the district trainer were nights and weekends but that doesn't seem right. I will cancel the interview if they need a commitment that conflicts with my work schedule. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Admor in North Richland Hills, Texas

85 months ago

My training was spread over 2 weeks and was maybe 60 hours. We would start around 2pm or so and stay til 8-9 pm. It depends on the classes that the area trainer is teaching. As my area trainer was 3 hours away I had to stay there for the 2 weeks. If you can't be pushy salesperson it might not be for you. You will constantly pressured to sell a class & if it's not your class you sell the other trainer gets the commission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex K. in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

PetSmart uses a 96 hour accreditation course to certify pet trainers. 80 hours are dedicated to on-hand work with an area pet trainer in classes and on the sales floor of the store you attend. The remaining 16 hours are dedicated solely to reading and understanding the text material including the principles of positive reinforcement training, training methods, and class structure. Accreditation schedules are based on the existing schedule of the area pet trainer, which would primarily reflect their needs and availability. Ideal trainers are people who are comfortable leading a group in social and educational settings, are very outgoing, and can keep the pace to ensure that pet parents are learning in class. There is pressure to sell training, but presented correctly that pressure is easy to adjust to. Training is pushed hard to make sure we are talking to every pet parent that has a dog who may need training, and hasn't considered it before. Also, many of the classes are social in nature, especially the puppy classes. Those classes are meant to be filled to encourage socialization and foster good training within a distracting environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

rottielover in Williamston, Michigan

65 months ago

I have an interview for a trainer next week, unlike the previous poster I have a family and I will not travel 3 hours for training, so I hope they have a location near me. Do managers do any hiring the day of the 1st interview if you are a good candidate for the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

doglady in Michigan

65 months ago

I have a family also......but I was sent away for training. It sucked, but it was worth it. My daughter was making me absolutely crazy....I cried to my husband several times. But I made it. They paid mileage there and back; I drove home the night before days off. I believe there is an area trainer in one of the Lansing stores, so you may get lucky! Then again, I know that some trainers have been hired into stores with "resident area trainers," yet sent to another store to train under a different area trainer. I adore my area trainer and I heard nightmares about trainer under her. She was awesome and continues to support me; I would have traveled 10 hrs. to train under her again if I had to!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

thedogtrainerlady in Texas

65 months ago

Wow I did not get mileage. They did not even pay for the last night in the hotel.

Fourteen days training and they paid fourteen nights. Since I had to be there the night before to be at work at 11 am and worked until 7 pm on the last night I needed 15 nights. I live 360 miles from the area trainer.

I totally enjoyed the time there. The hotel was great and I had a blast with the training.

rottielover in Williamston, Michigan

65 months ago

Wow traveling and staying in hotels, thats not me my husband does that with his job but they pay him a lot of $$ per day for lunch, room, and gas.. Luckily tho far as I would have to travel for the training program is 25 miles either north or south or to one store that is in Brighton which isnt far... I'm glad you two really enjoy your job, I do hope I get this because I love training dogs and i feel I have great people skills.

thedogtrainerlady in Texas

65 months ago

Good luck. I love the people and the dogs too. Its great that you wont have to travel far.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.