What's the company culture at PetSmart?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 114 of 114)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Sunny Sheehan in Massachusetts

27 months ago

ProPets in Deer Island, Oregon said: I Have read these comments and will have to strongly disagree with most of them, I am an employee of PetSmart and I think they are a wonderful company. I have worked for Petsmart for about 4 yrs, There have been a lot of changes made in the company since I have been here but they have all been for the better of the animals and employees. The safety of both are a huge emphasis of Petsmart and is taken very seriously. If you have the right people for the job then a store will run smoothly wrong people=bad work environment. The animals are all very well taken care of, and are in great hands. Petsmart has a number of veterinarians that work for them exclusivley and have put in place policies and procedures to keep the animals in our care safe. I also have not been drilled to sell, sell, sell. I have been told to assist and help reccomend sollutions, whatever the case may be. I would highly recommend working for Petsmart and for the record we are very selective in the hiring process we hire with the mindset that these people are the future of Petsmart . And also our grooming departments are safe and are run very well and held to the highest standards, with the well being of the pets in care being our highest priority

Are you kidding me? The groomers never get breaks! If its busy your working off the clock which is your break time. Its almost guaranteed you stay late. Then get talked to the following week why you have overtime. The groomers are constantly being pushed to do more dogs. I pulled in $1200 this past week because I know refuse to work off the clock and I am sure I will be written up for not punching out for lunch breaks, or on time to leave. I honestly don't care no more. That includes the 13 dogs I was forced to groom. Not only hair cut dogs but bath dogs as well. I love animals, but being pushed is making me hate my job which is wrong. I see the stress few of the groomers and bathers as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY!

27 months ago

Sunny Sheehan in Massachusetts said: Are you kidding me? The groomers never get breaks! If its busy your working off the clock which is your break time. Its almost guaranteed you stay late. Then get talked to the following week why you have overtime. The groomers are constantly being pushed to do more dogs. I pulled in $1200 this past week because I know refuse to work off the clock and I am sure I will be written up for not punching out for lunch breaks, or on time to leave. I honestly don't care no more. That includes the 13 dogs I was forced to groom. Not only hair cut dogs but bath dogs as well. I love animals, but being pushed is making me hate my job which is wrong. I see the stress few of the groomers and bathers as well.

Call hr contact in the breakroom if you are being pushed too hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

please respond! in Orrville, Ohio

27 months ago

Sunny Sheehan in Massachusetts said: Are you kidding me? The groomers never get breaks! If its busy your working off the clock which is your break time. Its almost guaranteed you stay late. Then get talked to the following week why you have overtime. The groomers are constantly being pushed to do more dogs. I pulled in $1200 this past week because I know refuse to work off the clock and I am sure I will be written up for not punching out for lunch breaks, or on time to leave. I honestly don't care no more. That includes the 13 dogs I was forced to groom. Not only hair cut dogs but bath dogs as well. I love animals, but being pushed is making me hate my job which is wrong. I see the stress few of the groomers and bathers as well.

CAN YOU PLEASE SEND THIS TO ME!! I am trying to get them for this and need a statement like this. All i need is a statement like this and it signed, email me if you agree and i will give you an address to send the statement too. We will drag them down for this. NOBODY WORKS AS HARD AS THE GROOMERS DO!!!!!

26 months ago

That's childish. Follow the chain of
Command and get ur breaks. Contact hr if you are not getting them
And have talked to your salon mgr, store mgr, and DM. Everyone at the salon in my store takes breaks.

Akixix in Florida

25 months ago

I've been with PetSmart for awhile now and all stores are different. To say the company as a whole is terrible really shows how you misunderstand how a huge corporation is run. The bigger it is, the less control they have over each individual store. I transferred from one store to another in a completely different district and I have to say that just because one store is terrible does NOT mean every other store is as well. My store was incredibly strict, our district manager would not only get in our store managers face and yell at him but associate's as well. It was terrible and I went six hours without a break once. Transferring to another store was amazing. My breaks are scheduled and I get them on time. My new district manager came into the store and asked me how everything was going and asked if I got praises and if I have had a problem with management. He asked if I had any complaints about the company or about how he ran the district. My old district manager NEVER came in and was that polite to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

A Decade In Retail in San Diego, California

23 months ago

It looks to me as if things CHANGED in PS right around 1 year or so ago.
It looks (from all the comments) as if things changed for the better, with the implementation of the new CARE program. Before that time, virtually all comments were negative. Virtually the only people defending PS before that time actually fell victim to the corporate machine, and were fired. PS OBVIOUSLY (at that time) had an AWFUL employee corporate environment, in regards to how employees were treated.
It seems as though things have changed for the better, starting about a year ago, with the CARE program...
And here's the real punchline, folks, I am CERTAIN that NONE of that change would have occurred if sites such as this very one had not revealed (both to the the public and to disconnected PS corporate folks) HOW employees FELT about the company's direction. Therefore....IF you are a current PS employee, and if you enjoy the way PS is treating you TODAY...you should KISS THE FEET of all those who came before you on this site, and sites just like this one to COMPLAIN!
KISS THE FEET of the (2 if I counted correctly) reporters who used this site to contact disgruntled employees and wrote articles concerning how the employees were treated, and THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS these people complained so that you do not have to suffer as they did.
For those who made comments regarding how capitalism works, think this through thoroughly: You are right, This IS How Capitalism Works.

In 30 years: The VERY BEST MANAGER I EVER HAD once said this to me: "There are three priorities for a good manager: NUMBER ONE, the company, because without it, none of us have jobs. NUMBER TWO the employees, because without them there IS NO company. NUMBER THREE the customer. Open the phone-book; there are a million more for each one who walks out unhappy."

Also, STAND READY to make just as much noise as they have, should things change back to anti-employee attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I strongly disagree with the last post. People posting negative comments on the Internet about their employers are not heroes. Heroes are the ones who have the balls to follow the chain of command and make thier voices heard. CARE is amazing, but I think it had a lot to do with the evolution of the company and some changes at the corporate level (We are loving Bruce Thorn!) and suggestions through Got Ideas. I wouldn't be patting folks who complain on the Internet on the back, that's for sure. PetSmart has always been awesome to me, but I am a firm believer in the face that there is a right and wrong way to make your voice heard. It is great to see a company putting pressure on managers to create a positive work experience, but honestly any manager worth a lick should have been creating a positive work environment in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Orlando, Florida

14 months ago

I am 20 year old and I applied to work at Petsmart for a bather position. My dreams is to become a pet groomer in the futher. I love animals and I want to work with them, well, I am overweight and I concern if they will hire me even if I am overweight. I went to the interview last Friday, the manager was friendly, however, the interview was very short only 15 minutes, she asked me couple questions and i answer the best i can, i was looking professional with a professional suit, my big concern is that she dont offer me a second interview (a friend of mine told me if they will hire you they offer you a second interview on the first day when you have you interview)but she dont offer any second interview to me, i asked her the time frame for her decision and she told me that will take around a week so, also when i left i shake her hand and i say that i hope i can hear from her soon and she only answer ok, she dont say that she will call me back, she just say ok. I weight around 200 pound but my weight is nothing to do with my job performance, i am a volunteer at the shelter and i handle different kind of dogs and i have little experience with bath dogs because i have 4 dogs of my own, i love animals and that is my dreams, i feel so sad if they dont hire me because I am overweight, i really dont want to lose the opportunity to work there. Petsmart is the great company and i know i can have a bright future there, what can i do to follow up with her? did i need to call her and find out if she ready make her decision? did i need to wait for the week? if the interview was on Friday and she dont call me yet (today is Wednesday) is because she dont give me the job right?. I am very concern, I really dont want to lose that great opportunity. This is my dreams. what should i do? please give me you advise. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Woah. Your self esteem certainly is down in the dumps. Honestly id be more concerned that your poor self esteem would effect job performance than weight. We've got a bunch of folks in stores salon who probably are not the ideal bmi, and they are awesome. If you are that down on yourself about your weight, lose some. If not own it and be confident. Confidence is critical when interviewing anywhere. Go in and ask for honest feedback. Be receptive and not defensove and improve. Ever wpnder how an interview is going then ask my favorite question. "What are your concerns about bringing me onboard."Most folks will shoot straight with you. Just be polite and receptive and you have an opportunity to squishthose doubts.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

14 months ago

RLizG in PETSMART! HOORAY! said: Woah. Your self esteem certainly is down in the dumps. Honestly id be more concerned that your poor self esteem would effect job performance than weight. We've got a bunch of folks in stores salon who probably are not the ideal bmi, and they are awesome. If you are that down on yourself about your weight, lose some. If not own it and be confident. Confidence is critical when interviewing anywhere. Go in and ask for honest feedback. Be receptive and not defensove and improve. Ever wpnder how an interview is going then ask my favorite question. "What are your concerns about bringing me onboard."Most folks will shoot straight with you. Just be polite and receptive and you have an opportunity to squishthose doubts.

Retail is tough nuggets. Not an easy environment. I like that question.

"What are your concerns about bringing me onboard." I LIKE!

But I think I would word it differently. What are your concerns about my skills and experience to do the job? Then again they probably would just lie to my face and say, "Nothing, nothing at all." And I never would hear from them again.

Good question though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Another favrotie of mine is. "What separates those who are great at.this job from those who are good."

I am my mother's daughter. She taught me to always be honest with people about what is holding them back and not to lead people on. I'd be honest about my concerns if someone asked me. Ultimately, it is the right thing to do for them. Give them a chance to grow. I'm grateful for my parents. So many people did not have someone to tell them what to wear and to not bad mouth previous employers.

baileybrown000 in Hurst, Texas

14 months ago

I was wondering if there's anyone that works in the pet hotel for the overnight shift? I have an interview monday for a part time over night position. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it? Are the uniforms the same as the day people? I don't really care if it's a crappy job and i have to clean up a lot of poop. I just really want this job and I'd like to know some details about it before I go in for my interview. Thank you!

MJ in Charlotte, North Carolina

4 months ago

I have worked at PS for years and can tell you it is the best job I've ever had. If you truly have a passion for animals you won't have any complaints at PS. And none of the stores are any different, we all have the same P&Ps (policies and procedures). The trainers do need to sell a certain number of classes. The groomers do have a hard time getting their breaks and have issues not clocking out for lunch, and it's not their fault. BUT IF EVERYONE WORKS TOGETHER AS A TEAM, everything sorts itself out. If groomers are jerks towards each other and the show resentment towards having to help out the bathers, then yes, you will grow to hate your job. AND AS FOR THE DRESS CODE, AS OF NOW PETSMART DOES ALLOW TATTOOS AND PEIRCINGS AND YOU CAN WEAR ANY SHOES YOU LIKE UNLESS YOU ARE A MANAGER. THE SHIRTS ARE FREE, YOU ONLY HAVE TO WEAR SOME KIND OF KHAKI PANTS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

keeva in Dallas, Texas

3 months ago

I worked overnight for the pethotel and let me tell you there policies for the overnight shift are downright stupid. For one, if a dog happens to poop in the cage when no one but that overnight person is there, too bad, they are not allowed to clean up any messes, as they are not allowed to open any cage or suite door when alone. If your dog boards there also know that if they run out of water during the night, and its a suite door that has glass, the employee can not open it to give your dog water, they must go without and Sunday shift is 11 hours long. In the time I was there I never once got a review, nor a raise and I worked there over 6 months, and when I left finally because I simply had enough, they decided not to pay me for the vacation time I accrued before I left and I even gave a 2 week notice. I would not suggest to anyone to work here, the hours they hire are only part time , except in my case due to working overnight, I actually worked full time. They are also supposed to issue you 2 shirts, which I only ever received one, even though I had told my manager but again,ignored like usual, I never felt like they cared very much about me there.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.